PDA

View Full Version : New battery and alternator

nene
January 22nd, 2008, 00:55
Car had some issues running today. It started, but when I went out the battery icon showed up. On the way to the dealer to drop her off, she was not well at all. It just so happens that a new battery and alternator will be required. The battery at 12V, eventually going down to none, and all the lights going up like a Christmas tree was concerning to say the least.

Battery: $387
Alternator: $1000

Great that I got that extended warranty. Battery is not included in the warranty, and that's ok.

DuckWingDuck
January 22nd, 2008, 02:44
Damn! Glad that you got the extended warranty so the cost was only "negligible"!!

s42ski
January 22nd, 2008, 03:58
$387 for a battery:MTM:

roadsleeper
January 22nd, 2008, 14:41
$387 for a battery:MTM:

Yeah, I recently paid for a new one for mine... Apparently the RS6 battery is heavy duty or is special in some other way (damn well better be for the premium), and is only available from Varta, hence the price...

RS6 POWER
January 22nd, 2008, 16:29
Car had some issues running today. It started, but when I went out the battery icon showed up. On the way to the dealer to drop her off, she was not well at all. It just so happens that a new battery and alternator will be required. The battery at 12V, eventually going down to none, and all the lights going up like a Christmas tree was concerning to say the least.

Battery: $387
Alternator: $1000

Great that I got that extended warranty. Battery is not included in the warranty, and that's ok.
Go to Costco or Pep Boys and get the Optima for less and it is better quality!!!
Just my two cents.

skiwi
January 23rd, 2008, 06:24
just make sure you get the right size. as stated, the rs6 battery is a very large, heavy duty model (110ah, 520a).

DuckWingDuck
January 23rd, 2008, 07:22
Incidentally, I notice that my battery runs at 14v, is this true of everyone?

roadsleeper
January 23rd, 2008, 09:22

12.5 - 13ish on mine.

RS6 POWER
January 23rd, 2008, 12:38
I have a Greddy turbo timmer on my car and it has the option of the batery voltage, mine always runs from 13.7 to 14.2.

Regards,
Manuel

nene
January 25th, 2008, 02:17
Decided to go with the OEM stuff, since it already fits that area pretty nice, instead of having to hunt around for the right thing.

Battery part number: 000-915-105-AK-DSP

Generator part number: 077-903-015-RX

It seems for the generator replacement it requires front bumper removal. So, half of the price quoted was labor charge, the other half parts.
While the car was in the shop, had another oil change for good measure.

Benman
January 25th, 2008, 22:20
Hey there Nene :cheers: ,

Question, how many miles you got on the Beast? I'm curious as to how many miles you have considering the battery had become an issue.

Best,

Ben:addict:

nene
January 26th, 2008, 03:58
I am at closing in on 41K right now. I am not sure it is so much a question of miles, much like the CV boots can be. In this case, I have used the car very little in the past year, and I think that may have contributed more to its demise. Plan to use the beast more often now.

Benman
January 28th, 2008, 23:32
I have used the car very little in the past year, and I think that may have contributed more to its demise.

Makes sense to me. I have the same plan of making sure the Beast gets regular excercise :D

Ben:addict: