PDA

View Full Version : A6 to become A7??

Audifan92
January 21st, 2008, 15:19
I was at an Audi dealership with my dad on saturday.
We were talking to the general manager and he was telling us that since the new A4 is only 2 inches shy of the A6s size, that they are going to take out the A6 and put in an A7 which will compete against the Merc CLS!!
Has anyone heard that before??

itisme
January 21st, 2008, 15:43
We were talking to the general manager and he was telling us that since the new A4 is only 2 inches shy of the A6s size, that they are going to take out the A6 and put in an A7 which will compete against the Merc CLS!!

that wouldn't make any sense. Audi would loose their main competitor for E-class and 5 series. A4 still competes with C-class and 3-series. Think your dealership is wrong there... A7 is going to be a all new class @ Audi.

AndyBG
January 21st, 2008, 16:11
A6 and A7... in the same time, just as Merc' has E class and CLS class in the same time...

roadrunner
January 21st, 2008, 16:15
As itisme already posted: the A7 will be a supplement to the A6, as the A5 is to the A4.

A4 Sedan & Avant & Allroad
A5 Coupe & Cabriolet

A6 Sedan & Avant & Allroad
A7 4 door Coupe

The A7 will share most of the parts with the A6 (same A4 & A5), but will be positioned above the A6, like the CLS is.

cheers
seb.

Toto89
January 21st, 2008, 20:27
As itisme already posted: the A7 will be a supplement to the A6, as the A5 is to the A4.

A4 Sedan & Avant & Allroad
A5 Coupe & Cabriolet

A6 Sedan & Avant & Allroad
A7 4 door Coupe

The A7 will share most of the parts with the A6 (same A4 & A5), but will be positioned above the A6, like the CLS is.

cheers
seb.

Agreed but i hope we will see a A7 2 door coupé as well.

chewym
January 21st, 2008, 20:40

The current A6 is still 8.3 inches longer than the new A4. But the current A6 only has a 1.3 inch longer wheelbase than the new A4. The A7 will be a CLS type car, I believe it will come out before the next generation A6.

roadrunner
January 21st, 2008, 21:46
... The A7 will be a CLS type car, I believe it will come out before the next generation A6.

The motoring press thinks 2010. Would make sense, as the new A6 (C7) Sedan is sceduled for 2011, A6 Avant 2012.

It is a smart move to start a next generation (A7 uses the C7 plattform) with a low volume car. Audi did it with the A5 & A4 as well.

Audiphile
January 22nd, 2008, 02:46
No way! The Audi A6 represents a very important model for Audi. It serves not only as a serious premium model to give Audi credibility in the premium market, but represents their second best selling model line on a global scale. The Audi A6 is the top selling premium model in Europe and best selling luxury vehicle globally. The A6 is a very significant car for Audi and serves as an access to many opinion leaders (those that influence brand perception). I own the 4.2 S-line and it is a beautifully crafted automobile that is a true luxury sedan...and it handles and drives solidly and fluently the way a car of its stature should. In m area of LA, the A6 is quite popular now - I venture to say common almost.

The RS6
January 22nd, 2008, 06:35
I think the A4 & A6 should remain as standard models - saloon and avant, and A5 & A7 should be simply other versions of them...

For example, A5 would be the coupe and cabrio version of the A4, whereas A7 would be the coupe & cabrio versions of the A6, ofc both A4&5, A6&7 would use the same platform.

IMO there's no need to pile up loads of new models, experimenting with A4 and A6 names could damage their reputation if something goes wrong, whereas if something goes wrong with ... let's say A7, Audi can cut the model with no damage done to the famous names ... :)

That's why I don't like what they are saying about A4 Cabrio and A5 sportback...what might happen is having A4&A5 cabrio, A5 SB&A4 Avant...

That would make things alot complicated, and I think there's really no need for it...

Audi Advocate
January 26th, 2008, 22:14
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i91/AudiAdvocate/A7.jpg

Audiphile
January 27th, 2008, 03:06
Gorgeous! But it is coming too late to the game! Audi should have released this model yesterday as MB is soaking up sales in their less than attactive version. Interestingly, the guy who heads Bentley now - Phaegen(?) - headed Audi in the early part of this decade had recommended a four-door "coupe" style model, but it was killed by the Audi Board of Management at the time. They really screwed that one up! Then MB launched their version after hearing that Audi would not launch one the rumor goes.