PDA

View Full Version : Engine near shut down

newmarketnow
January 20th, 2008, 17:37
The RS6 all of sudden was limiting itself to about 1200 rpm's and the universal traction control light went on.
No acceleration or response.

Turned the car off and thankfully, it apparently cleared itself out.

Any experiences with this?

I have APR software and 5 months left on my Audi warranty which poses a little problem if giving full disclosure to the dealer - tomorrow.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim

Boosted-Bora
January 20th, 2008, 18:33
never had that issue I will ask a Buddie of mine who is a Audi master tech

nene
January 20th, 2008, 18:53
See if you can get someone locally that has a VAG tool. Might be that engine was running rich, and it cut off throttle, or even the transmission. When my converter was about to go, it did that twice, which made me bring it in, and it was replaced. VAG tool will tell you if you got any codes.

Hy Octane
January 20th, 2008, 20:07
Anytime you chip a car and there is a problem, it kinda hard to use unchipped logic to solve it.

Quite honestly, having had some weird problems with my stock car, I am amazed that chip companies were even able to find and modify all the files Audi put in place to protect this car. I have had to make 6am phone calls to experts in Germany just to try and find out what and where certain sensors were and what they did.. only to be told that these are deep secrets that cannot be revealed for fear of them being taken to the enemy camps and copied there. So, it follows that those who design these chips cant possibly have all the info they need to make sure every safety device is modified..resulting in something somewhere objecting to the mod.. thus many chip related problems.

nene
January 21st, 2008, 00:34
Based on the information you can't say the issue is chip related. I think it is highly premature to assume it is an issue due to aftermarket chip.

Whether you are chip'd or not, it is great to have it VAG'd. Especially if you plan on chipping the car, I would highly recommend investing in a VAG tool. Many instances dealers will simply clear the codes in hopes the issue no longer appears, leaving you with a false sense of security. Whether chip'd or not, if your car is cutting power, you can catch codes with the VAG and do some preliminary research.

s42ski
January 21st, 2008, 02:49
I had a similar issue with an early software release on my car with a Revo update. When I engaged the cruise control and accelerated using same the car would go into full limp mode. Stopping and cycling on off with the engine cleared the issue. New software from Revo made the problem go away

skiwi
January 21st, 2008, 04:47
it should have thrown a code or 2 (dealer will tell). however suspect might be abs-related, perhaps a wheel sensor or something.

traction control means that the throttle is cut if the car thinks a wheel is spinning.