PDA

View Full Version : Hood vents for RS6?

melsas
January 20th, 2008, 01:39
I recently saw a MB ML350 with "drop-in" hood/cowl vents. Would this work for our cars? Not sure if MTM vents are this type. I've read posts here about cutting holes/slots and repainting. Would this type avoid the need to repaint?

HeadShot
April 8th, 2008, 05:49
I have been working on a plan for vents in the beast for sooooo long. Unfortunately the guy i brought a spare hood from needs a headshot... no hood arrived sob,sob.

Hell, i'll wing it on the one i have - a replacment from audi $600.

The plan is to do two drop ins (like the champion motorsports pic). The issue is they were using a completely different engine/air flow system so did not have the duct work in the position we have headed for the air filters. They are kinda in the way big time. The problem is not so much clearance as airflow.
I still think they will relieve air pressure on the motor side of the rad.. providing better air flow/cooling. But to take it a step further i decided to vent the back of the hood also.. the problem is the engine compartment stops long before the back of the hood and slapping vents right in the middle seemed a bad call. ( looks like crap and water control is a nightmare)
The solution is to cut where the fine blue tape is (ref pic) then further back on top of the hood.. the air will pass out of the engine compartment before it moves through the vents. Water control = cut another opening directly under the vents.. water never enters the engine compartment.
Yes i have considered the intergerty of the hood after the cuts.. it will be hood pinned and i will probably reinforce the cut areas with more material / seams.

I mock everything up in cardboard during developement so i can see how it will all turn out ( has saved me so much grief) then to stainless for the trays to support the front hood vents. Note water control (fittings to be added later..
This is all rough, all to be sanded/ spit and polish etc.. just wanted to give those following the old hood vent discussion some hope i will get this all done soooon. :asian:

melsas
April 8th, 2008, 13:46
That looks great! Let us know how the project progresses.I think I recall you tried the same $@$%# seller on Ebay.de that I did. He couldn't seem to ship anything after he got your money. Luckily, I got my money back.
Might try Scott D. for a spare hood. Also Shokan, but they are the high price leader!

Erik
April 8th, 2008, 14:20
Great contribution HeadShot! Thanks!

Mr Balsen
April 8th, 2008, 21:11
Thanks.

Looking forward to see the next step !

Frederic

HeadShot
April 8th, 2008, 23:14
thanks for the encouragement guys, the only question i here around the house is "how much will the new replacement cost??"

HeadShot
April 21st, 2008, 02:04
The screen i'm using for the back vent and the screen i will use in the front vents.. may paint front out to blk also.. will see when installed.
The aluminum gasket is to hold the mesh in place - bonded on with a LORD Fusor product (great stuff and way cheaper than 3M) the gasket will be against the underside of the hood and will not be visable at all - just the mesh. Expanded like the OEM stuff.

DuckWingDuck
April 21st, 2008, 02:44
looking very pro! Can't wait for the final product.

itchingtogo
April 28th, 2008, 19:34
Still like this kind of vent:

http://www.aventuramotors.com/images/vehicles/0061_34.JPG

RS6 POWER
April 29th, 2008, 22:32
I will post pics of my MTM vents!!!

HeadShot
May 8th, 2008, 04:21
My mates have been asking if i'm nervous about the hood cutting. I didn't think so untill i had it all marked out and the tool in my hand... it was hell. Like i was about to bungee jump... aghhhh.
Decided to do a full dry run on some aluminum i had.
The tool selected for the task is a dremel as there is an attachment for it that looks like a mini circ saw with a plastic housing that is great for straight very fine cuts (made for wood but works fine here) Unfortunately i cooked the motor on the third cut .. smoke was spewing out - i was really expecting flames!!!!!
I really need the fine cut that the Dremal offers but didn't want to cook another one so i gutted it .. chopped off the drive shaft and bearing and cleaned out the plastic housing then retro fitted it to an air grinder. Works like a champ - i would really say better than new. ( thats todays tip if you run into the same problem)
The pics are of the mock up... really happy with everything.. cut on an angle to go better with the lines of the car.
The only change is i will move the tray forward 3mm to tuck the mesh under (conceal) just alittle more. Will cut the hood up on Fri and include many pics then.

Mr Balsen
May 8th, 2008, 11:53
I can't wait to see the final results !

Frederic

DuckWingDuck
May 8th, 2008, 15:51
headshot, you should come down next weekend!

HeadShot
May 8th, 2008, 19:48
Yeah.. i get so little time to work on this project - i have to Cut tomorrow so the beast will be out of action for maybe 2 weeks. I might come down in my other ride just to say hi but my car will be at paint i hope.

DuckWingDuck
May 8th, 2008, 21:07
headshot, just dropped you an email.

Spidercat
May 9th, 2008, 00:10
Nice work! I can imagine how tense that must be cutting into your precious baby's hood! I was tense when I added a hood vent to my crappy old truck!
Did you think about orienting the mesh diamond pattern with it's long axis horizontal, instead of vertical? In other words, turned 90 degrees. I think it would match the orientation of the RS6's front grill mesh just a little better. Not to take anything away at all to how you've oriented the mesh, just another opinion. (I know, ef-off, do your own vents!) Anyway, can't wait to see the final product!

HeadShot
May 9th, 2008, 00:32
Good eye on the mesh. Yep.. i wanted it the other way but the roll i came across was thin that way (to narrow for the vent). I bent it up to see how it looked and like you wanted it to match the car. It won't go in to the very end so i can get a better look at it fitted and maybe sub it out for something else. It's hard to find the right mesh believe me. The rear vent is from a screen door i found at Lowes.

Mister QUESTEL
May 9th, 2008, 12:05
I can't wait to see the final results !

Frederic

:bye:

Yes , + 1 :jlol:

Bye Bye

HeadShot
May 10th, 2008, 17:11
It is done... well the cuts atleast.
I had to move my templet back 20mm before i made the first slice. (spotted by a friend - it would have exposed the inside hood seal - always have a second set of eyes check things before cutting!!)
The cutting went well... i marked out alll the stop points before cutting as the blade on the dremel was covered and i was cutting blind onsome sections.
If i were to do it again... would have covered the surronding area with cardboard. The circ blade got away from me twice and dinged the hood.
Otherwise pretty simple.
I made the templet up with a guide point (ref pic.) then matched to the markes on top and drilled through the guide point (in the area where most of the waste material was so i had some room to adjust if needed) Then just overlayed templet on the underside (matching up the hole), cut away the subframe where needed so i was only dealing with one layer from the top. Then cut. (had the hood on the whole time and the engine covered with a sheet and taped off.
Done.
The bad news is the trays are to deep. By 10mm so i will adjust them today and probably fit. Also the rear vent to be cut.

HeadShot
May 12th, 2008, 01:40
The back cavity will be foam filled. Rough cuts.. to be finished and bends cleaned up / remove ripple. Otherwise i'm stoked... water control is excellent as is air flow. Finished look will be factory... so far so good.
THe inside frame seen through the mesh will be sprayed out blk ofcourse and once on the internal frame should be invisible.

Any thoughts??

DuckWingDuck
May 12th, 2008, 02:35
I think it looks great. That plus the bit off the front bumper, your RS6 will most certainly no longer be as stealth as its brothers. I can't wait to check it out, do you think it'll help with cooling in addition to the aesthetics?

HeadShot
May 12th, 2008, 02:56
Definately help with cooling... lower airpressure after the rad = more air flow. And the rear vent draws air from the back of the motor and out (turbos) Should really be much cooler... i'm thinking at the same level as the MTM vents atleast.. We will need to hook up sometime Duck and do some testing.
- i'll call ya Fri to nail down the meet.

N

mmaturo
May 12th, 2008, 04:11
you sir have balls! Nice work so far, keep posting those pictures.

Mr Balsen
May 12th, 2008, 07:34
Headshot,

Impressive work.
BUt I don't understand the fifth picture. The hot air from engine goes from the big hole, then is extracted outisde by the following two other holes ?

Frederic

RS6-4dr911
May 12th, 2008, 12:20
First, from what I see in the pic's, your craftsmanship is awesome.:thumb:

Second, now that there is a large ding in my hood about where the scoop/extractors are, I'm giving this some thought whereas previously would not have.

Third, and I hate to be a party pooper, the only concern I have is the rear vents. While they look great and well integrated, it is entirely possible they make backfire on you. There is frequently high pressure at the base of the windshield, not low. Notice that many ram air hood scoops face the base of the windshield to let that high pressure force air INTO the engine compartment (albeit ducted straight to the induction) not OUT, e.g.Firebirds, old Z-28's, etc. Notice that, while they may be placed more for ease of intallation and clearance of the hood structure, the MTM vent is about a foot farther forward than yours. Your testing with duck should be able to verify if this is a problem or not.:vhmmm:

HeadShot
May 12th, 2008, 12:30
Interesting.... that sounds bad for me... aghhh. I must live with the hope that air traveling across the motor will have a higher pressure than the air trapped infront of the windshield. You make an excellent point on teh MTM location but they also conform to the substructure and that may have been the reason for placement there. As you say testing will tell.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the heads up.

Spidercat
May 12th, 2008, 23:33
Those are lookin' good! Can't wait to read your post-testing review! Did you decide to go with the recessed hood pins? I guess just one at each of the front corners?
Also, did you mention a while back that you had a second hood? I had thought that you were going to modify that one and switch it out when you were all done.
Good luck on the airflow dynamics. FWIW, I like the look of your vents better than the MTMs. A little more subtle, and they match the lines/flow of the car a little better, IMO.

LU-RS6
May 12th, 2008, 23:49
You would have to do a really bad job to make the hoodvents looks worse than those of MTM, but I must admit they are highly efficient. And that's what it comes down to.

Mr Balsen
May 13th, 2008, 00:38
Interesting.... that sounds bad for me... aghhh. I must live with the hope that air traveling across the motor will have a higher pressure than the air trapped infront of the windshield. You make an excellent point on teh MTM location but they also conform to the substructure and that may have been the reason for placement there. As you say testing will tell.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the heads up.

One very good (and cheap) way to test if the air hood scoops near the windshield are efficient is to use string like I did on my sport quattro:

http://www.mtmfrance.com/galerie_photos/SQ_DSC01859.jpg

The strings are up in the case of the Sport Quattro, showing how much hot air is being extracted from the engine bay. This is the sign of efficiency !

Frederic

Mr Balsen
May 13th, 2008, 00:44
On the other hand, I will not worry too much for the efficiency of your air scoop near the windshield. As you can see on the picture below the Audi S1, which ahd to deal with major heat problem also has two air scoop near the windshield:

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/4370/img72131gs.jpg

Frederic

HeadShot
May 13th, 2008, 04:26
I did a quick search on google and found this old A6 commercial - testing in a wind tunnel. The pic i have included of the Evo tales the tale better.

To answer the question about the large hole the bottom substructure i have also included a pic i messed with in Paint.
And yeah.. i paid for a spare hood from a seller on ebay.de but i was robbed. Live and learn. So in the end i took the plunge on my stock one ... that was nerve racking!!!.

Audi wind tunnel..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb4arMrRgPE&feature=related

I should mention... this is the first time i have messed with this kind of stuff - mods to anything. I have some tool experience but thats about it.

Hope the pic clears things up there Mr Balsen:cheers: My pics sometimes don't seem to capture just what i am trying to show.... more practice i guess.

grizz
May 13th, 2008, 20:50
Well done , i've decided to send my spare bonnet ( hood to you boys) to be used as a pattern for a carbon one .This will have the vents made in the same way as mtm did there's .

This will be some weeks away .
I've also got a big brake kit under way along with New manifolds and turbos

Spidercat
May 13th, 2008, 23:45
How much is a one-off carbon fiber hood going to run you?
$$$$ I imagine?

DuckWingDuck
May 13th, 2008, 23:47
It can't possibly be cheap.

grizz
May 13th, 2008, 23:49
I'm getting 3 done to start with .one for me and a mate and the other will be for sale .I don't know how much yet.

LU-RS6
May 14th, 2008, 00:24
Let us know the price as soon as you have more info so we can compare. I'm looking into the matter also.

Mr Balsen
May 14th, 2008, 06:59
Well done , i've decided to send my spare bonnet ( hood to you boys) to be used as a pattern for a carbon one .This will have the vents made in the same way as mtm did there's .

This will be some weeks away .
I've also got a big brake kit under way along with New manifolds and turbos

If I may give an advice regarding the vents on a Carbon Fiber Hood, you go for the RS4 V8 MTM Vents rather than the RS6 MTM Vents....

Frederic

Corey
May 14th, 2008, 09:09
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/Oceanicblu/DSC04036_1.jpg

Grizz, I have to agree with Frederic, the RS4 vents are much better than the RS6 from MTM. I assume I'm your friend who is getting one.

DuckWingDuck
May 14th, 2008, 14:47
much sleeker, that is for sure.

grizz
May 14th, 2008, 17:17
O yes , thats much better. So thats 4 than .?????

ben916
May 14th, 2008, 17:38
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/Oceanicblu/DSC04036_1.jpg

Grizz, I have to agree with Frederic, the RS4 vents are much better than the RS6 from MTM. I assume I'm your friend who is getting one.

It looks like a two piece hood, meaning carbon in the middle and metal on the sides?

Corey
May 14th, 2008, 18:23

It would be rude not to, just don't tell the accountant ;)

The vents need to be tapered, the outer edge follows the swage line of the bonnet and the inner edge follows a imaginary centre line.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k136/Oceanicblu/RS6bonnet.jpg
like this.

It looks like a two piece hood, meaning carbon in the middle and metal on the sides?

Just painted either side I believe.

Mr Balsen
May 14th, 2008, 18:41

It is a full Carbon Fiber Hood. The Sides are painted. The middle is not.

Frederic

bigh
May 16th, 2008, 11:59

Grizz, make that 5 :jlol: (subject to seeing final design )

Mr Balsen
May 16th, 2008, 13:10
actually, may be 6...

Frederic

HeadShot
May 18th, 2008, 22:08
Prior to some other work... needed the paint removed
Was trying it for looks.. would have it finished well before clear coat if i'd gone this way. Like the factory paint better.

DuckWingDuck
May 19th, 2008, 01:03
looking good. too bad you weren't able to make it out today!

HeadShot
May 19th, 2008, 01:09
tell me about it - oil field wrk blows. Still pays for the toys so what ya gona do!

DuckWingDuck
May 19th, 2008, 02:37
haha, ya, it pays real well!!

snoopra
July 8th, 2008, 07:30
Question, are the rear vents gonna fog up the windshied (hot air + a/c duct @ base of the windshield)?

vangelis
July 8th, 2008, 07:37
another question also,,, whenever you washing the car,, is the water going to go through them down to the engine??? very dangrous issue i guess!!

HeadShot
July 8th, 2008, 15:32
Good questions... as the hood is still in paint i can't answer the first one yet.. I think air flow over the surface will mitagate any heat transfer.
As for water... the rear vent is isolated from the engine compartment and won't be an issue and the front vents have a water control channel for rain... from a hose - yes you must be more careful washing... wet sponge... no problems i hope. I will post pics and a full report when i get it all back.
HS

snoopra
July 8th, 2008, 17:30
Good questions... as the hood is still in paint i can't answer the first one yet.. I think air flow over the surface will mitagate any heat transfer.
As for water... the rear vent is isolated from the engine compartment and won't be an issue and the front vents have a water control channel for rain... from a hose - yes you must be more careful washing... wet sponge... no problems i hope. I will post pics and a full report when i get it all back.
HS

Hope you're gonna build acouple more for resale:thumb:

snoopra
July 8th, 2008, 17:46
grizz, any progress on the CF vented hood (bonnet)?

snoopra
July 8th, 2008, 17:59
Another question for Headshot, are you gonna make a baffle drain for the rear vent or are you gonna leave it open to the cowl area. Reason being, if the heat is not totally extracted, we may get heat soak in the brake resorvoir, ECU, etc. Maybe a reason MTM sets their vents so far ahead of the rear of the hood?:vhmmm:

grizz
July 8th, 2008, 20:27
Update--My spare bonnet is down with my carbon guy, The original is being modified to include the vents .
This will then be made as a carbon shell .

snoopra
July 8th, 2008, 20:44
Update--My spare bonnet is down with my carbon guy, The original is being modified to include the vents .
This will then be made as a carbon shell .
Thanks for the update grizz. Is it gonna be like the MTM RS 4 hood?
Wayne

DuckWingDuck
July 8th, 2008, 20:45
grizz - got a prelim pricing on this hood yet?

grizz
July 8th, 2008, 20:49
It's going to look very good , like another you've seen. The price is up in the air but it's not cheap. the mold and development will cost £2000.

itchingtogo
July 17th, 2008, 20:18
pictures?

HeadShot
August 6th, 2008, 02:17
Picked up my hood yesterday... looks amazing - the color match is perfect. The wings had to be redone (they had missed the edge somehow)
Anyway hood looks excellent - glued in the rear mesh then looked closer and didn't like the way teh clear coat haloed around the back vent. I want this perfect so packed it neatly back in the work pickup thismorning with blankets etc. and bungeed it down. Half way there on a side street i look in the rear view and see the hood had swung back against the tail gate(the bungee slipped!!! aghhhh)
No damage to the center but the sides looked like they had meet a cheese grater.
But - i had tipped the guy huge the day before (i was so happy to get my hands back on the hood) He will repair the damage (only paint thankgod) for free - should be done Thursday. So in the mean time i took these pics before the accident - yeah the reflection is terrible but i was rushing. Will do a much better job when all is finished.
This Sunday is not looking good for the OC meet for me - Offshore Friday i think.. but ya never know. Fingers crossed.

: Pic processing is adding some distortion...

DuckWingDuck
August 6th, 2008, 02:42
nick, eff 'em, i'm not in town anyway.

KIDDING!!!!

The hood simply looks amazing! Can't wait to see it in person.

itchingtogo
August 6th, 2008, 15:05
It can get better than that? Looks great!:applause:

Fonzie Audi
August 6th, 2008, 15:24
Wow. looks great! Mean and nasty, just the way i like it.. (not to mention functional!)

ben916
August 6th, 2008, 18:29
HS,

Have you driven around at all with the new scoops?
If so, temp differences since it has been so freaking hot and humid lately?
If so, what about air turbulence/pressure differences causing vibration on the hood, causing bulging?

Thanks! Looks Great!

OC meet?!?!? Do you mean SD meet?

itchingtogo
August 6th, 2008, 20:00
Would it work better if the exits were moved back like these?
http://www.nickeychicago.net/images/vehicles/69%20white%20shelby%20012.jpg

Spidercat
August 6th, 2008, 20:25
That looks awesome! Nice work. Can't wait to hear about how it performs!

lswing
September 12th, 2013, 01:16
This is a great thread....bump....getting closer to this mod. Input?

DHall1
September 12th, 2013, 04:42
I have the Headshot templates for the hood vents

lswing
September 12th, 2013, 04:52
You also have my email...cheers!

ben916
September 12th, 2013, 17:50
I have the Headshot templates for the hood vents

Yes you do.... ;)

lswing
September 12th, 2013, 18:05
Interested to check them out...

DHall1
September 13th, 2013, 05:37
Ben the shipment made it no problem.

Lou...I have not even opened the tube to inspect the templates. These went to Ben when Headshot sold his car and now onto me when Ben sold his. I will try to have a look at them this weekend but the temps have been cooling off down here and we have been golfing at every chance. Thus, not many posts from me lately.

Yes you do.... ;)

lswing
September 13th, 2013, 06:23
Very good, enjoy the course, looking at procuring the hood....