PDA

View Full Version : new M3 with DSG vs R8

RXBG
January 18th, 2008, 00:53
now these two will be dead even in a straight line.

that sucks.

the only consolation is that the dsg M3 driver isn't driving. just holding on. at least vs a manual R8.

how did bmw beat audi at the dsg in the high end cars? maybe audi will do one better with an air cooled (non-oil cooled) dsg?

Rage
January 18th, 2008, 02:21

that sucks.

the only consolation is that the dsg M3 driver isn't driving. just holding on. at least vs a manual R8.

how did bmw beat audi at the dsg in the high end cars? maybe audi will do one better with an air cooled (non-oil cooled) dsg?

Will have to wait and see....

I anticipate the RS5 may release with a DSG/MDCT type gearbox. Audi may have been the first to pioneer this type of gearbox but BMW were the first to adapt it to a high production saloon/coupe.

Later this year I will be in the market for either an RS5 or M3+DCT, I hope by then Audi would have released more info re: torque vectoring/ high torque DSG/RS5 prototype etc.

Interestingly anyone want to comment on how the S5 feels compared to the M3?? perhaps an indication of things to come?

chewym
January 18th, 2008, 05:07
Not sure there is even all that much difference between an auto and twin clutch. The Lexus 8 speed on the IS-F upshifts faster (.1 second vs. .2) with S-Tronic as it locks mechanically.

Packaging in the R8 is probably harder and different than in other Audis, so the new S-Tronic would probably come out in the S4 first.

KresoF1
January 18th, 2008, 07:32

that sucks.

First, new M3 with M-DCT(M-DKG in German) will be faster in straight line then R8 ONLY if you use LC. For example if M3 driver do not use LC driver in manual R8 will be faster. Second, R8 is faster on ALL race tracks in the world then M3. Moderatly good driver will be faster on mountain road then M3 driver. Yes, that is fast. Period. R8 is true sportscar. M3 is very fast sportscoupe.

S-Tronic for R8 and future Porsche models:
http://www.getrag.de/en/253

New M3 M-DCT:
http://www.getrag.de/en/252

Audi R8 V12 TDI Concept use special version of Getrag 6MLT650 gearbox(more powerfull to handle 1000Nm), not Graziano gearbox like current R8(and forthcoming manual version of R8 V10).

raulg
January 20th, 2008, 22:57
First, new M3 with M-DCT(M-DKG in German) will be faster in straight line then R8 ONLY if you use LC. For example if M3 driver do not use LC driver in manual R8 will be faster. Second, R8 is faster on ALL race tracks in the world then M3. Moderatly good driver will be faster on mountain road then M3 driver. Yes, that is fast. Period. R8 is true sportscar. M3 is very fast sportscoupe.

Nobody should really compare those 2 cars. It's like comparing a Corvette to a Ferrari! Pretty close in performance, but nobody will care about the Vette if a Ferrari is around. Same with R8 vs M3. Even if the M3 would be faster people will still look better in an R8. It hurts a little that the new M3 is so close in performance, but not much. Afterall the new GT-R will kill anything on the planet being the same price (about) as the M3, but I'd still go with an R8 or Lambo. Figure that out!

S-Tronic for R8 and future Porsche models:
http://www.getrag.de/en/253

New M3 M-DCT:
http://www.getrag.de/en/252

Audi R8 V12 TDI Concept use special version of Getrag 6MLT650 gearbox(more powerfull to handle 1000Nm), not Graziano gearbox like current R8(and forthcoming manual version of R8 V10).

This is the first time I see this transm.
Basically, you are saying that this "GETRAG corporate group" will handle both the Audi and BMW transmissions?

if yes: Are car manufacturers doing anything on their own anymore?!?!?!
I should shop around for trans, engine, chassis and a 4 wheels and do my own car! Maybe if GETRAG will sell me one of their DSG it will take me less than ethernety to install it in a regular quattro A4. I am only worried about the prices, they won't give me the unit as cheap as Audi gets it.

Anyway, if this transmissions are indeed coming to Audi/BMW, then why is taking so long to stupid Audi to implement them in a car???!?!?!?!?!?!? It's not like you are building anything from zero, you just put the LEGO parts togheter. The trans looks ready on that website, but maybe it isn't!?!

How sure are you about the DSG in Audi coming from this GETRAG company? Is the original VW DSG made by this company? REALLY, is anyone producing anything on their own???

chewym
January 21st, 2008, 04:40
Almost all manufacturers use outside companies for transmissions.

KresoF1
January 21st, 2008, 07:43
Nobody should really compare those 2 cars. It's like comparing a Corvette to a Ferrari! Pretty close in performance, but nobody will care about the Vette if a Ferrari is around. Same with R8 vs M3. Even if the M3 would be faster people will still look better in an R8. It hurts a little that the new M3 is so close in performance, but not much. Afterall the new GT-R will kill anything on the planet being the same price (about) as the M3, but I'd still go with an R8 or Lambo. Figure that out!

This is the first time I see this transm.
Basically, you are saying that this "GETRAG corporate group" will handle both the Audi and BMW transmissions?

if yes: Are car manufacturers doing anything on their own anymore?!?!?!
I should shop around for trans, engine, chassis and a 4 wheels and do my own car! Maybe if GETRAG will sell me one of their DSG it will take me less than ethernety to install it in a regular quattro A4. I am only worried about the prices, they won't give me the unit as cheap as Audi gets it.

Anyway, if this transmissions are indeed coming to Audi/BMW, then why is taking so long to stupid Audi to implement them in a car???!?!?!?!?!?!? It's not like you are building anything from zero, you just put the LEGO parts togheter. The trans looks ready on that website, but maybe it isn't!?!

How sure are you about the DSG in Audi coming from this GETRAG company? Is the original VW DSG made by this company? REALLY, is anyone producing anything on their own???

First, neither Getrag or Borg-warner will sell you directly ever their transimssions.

Second, first VW DSGs came from Borg-Warner but, latest(more powerfull) versions came from Getrag. Getrag is currently leader in manual and DSG style transmissions. Clients: Audi, BMW, Porsche and VW... And many others...

Getrag builds basic model and then Audi or BMW make their demands-then Getrag incorporate them into basic design.

Also, forthcoming Sport Diff(torque vectoring) in A4/A5/S5 is made by Magna for Audi.

Almost all car manufactures use different OEM partners.

raulg
January 21st, 2008, 15:07
First, neither Getrag or Borg-warner will sell you directly ever their transimssions.

Second, first VW DSGs came from Borg-Warner but, latest(more powerfull) versions came from Getrag. Getrag is currently leader in manual and DSG style transmissions. Clients: Audi, BMW, Porsche and VW... And many others...

Getrag builds basic model and then Audi or BMW make their demands-then Getrag incorporate them into basic design.

Also, forthcoming Sport Diff(torque vectoring) in A4/A5/S5 is made by Magna for Audi.

Almost all car manufactures use different OEM partners.

Ok, no problem, but Audi is taking too long to come out with their S-tronic then? BMW has it on the M3, ready to order.

Leadfoot
January 23rd, 2008, 23:08
Ok, no problem, but Audi is taking too long to come out with their S-tronic then? BMW has it on the M3, ready to order.

You have to remember that Audi have designed a totally new chassis and quattro setup with the front diff amounted ahead of the gearbox, I don't know if this may explain why BMW beat them to it but it surely didn't help matters.

Interestingly anyone want to comment on how the S5 feels compared to the M3?? perhaps an indication of things to come?

Just wait a couple of weeks until I am more familiar with the S5 and I will test drive the M3 again and give an honest opinion. Though based on purely memory of my original test drive of the M3 the S5 feels every bit as exciting to drive, it's the close any S model has ever got the feeling like a RS version which to me is the best praise anyone could give the S5.

The real surprise to me is that the small 10hp increase over the S4 is really noticeable and to me some of the US acceleration claims (4.5 to 60mph) feel believable even if that isn't the case. I have no doubt that on the track the M3 will tear it apart but on the road I get the feeling the two would be hard to separate.

One thing is for definite, the interior is in a class of it's own, nothing and I mean nothing in it's sector even gets close to matching to the build quality and attention to detail. It is a hard act to follow.

Well the RS5 is better than the M3 ? ............ YOU BET.

Rage
January 24th, 2008, 09:04
You have to remember that Audi have designed a totally new chassis and quattro setup with the front diff amounted ahead of the gearbox, I don't know if this may explain why BMW beat them to it but it surely didn't help matters.

Just wait a couple of weeks until I am more familiar with the S5 and I will test drive the M3 again and give an honest opinion. Though based on purely memory of my original test drive of the M3 the S5 feels every bit as exciting to drive, it's the close any S model has ever got the feeling like a RS version which to me is the best praise anyone could give the S5.

The real surprise to me is that the small 10hp increase over the S4 is really noticeable and to me some of the US acceleration claims (4.5 to 60mph) feel believable even if that isn't the case. I have no doubt that on the track the M3 will tear it apart but on the road I get the feeling the two would be hard to separate.

One thing is for definite, the interior is in a class of it's own, nothing and I mean nothing in it's sector even gets close to matching to the build quality and attention to detail. It is a hard act to follow.

Well the RS5 is better than the M3 ? ............ YOU BET.

Thanks, I look forward to a full writeup. I hope Audi release some spy pics or leak specs of the RS5 by september at the very least. Ive been holding off a car purchase for some time now:R8kiss: