PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Plus vs. RS6 - Differences?

roadsleeper
January 16th, 2008, 11:36
Hi all, just wanted to check / confirm that the following are the only differences between the RS6 Plus and the 'pedestrian' RS6:

- ECU / TCU
- Additional radiators behind front intercoolers
- Matte black trim (roof rails, window surround, headlight surround, rims, exhaust tips, etc.)
- 19" 5 spoke rims (Avus?)
- RS6 Plus specific exterior / interior color and trim options
- 10mm lower 'Sport' springs

Not sure if the exhaust is actually different, but I've read it's "counter-pressure optimized", though I would hope the same would apply to a RS6's exhaust...

Thanks for any input!

Barry
January 16th, 2008, 22:05
Also Accelorator / Brake pedals and footrest finished in Alloy not Rubber, Brake Discs Drilled, RS6 Plus Plate on the centre Console - Can't think of anything else. EXCEPT I think a lot of my Buddies with the the non Plus version of the RS6 would take exception to you refering to their Beasts as "Pedestrian" ---what do you drive - a Veyron?

Barry Daytona Avant.

skiwi
January 16th, 2008, 22:47
standard exhaust fitted is the sports exhaust.

and you got the number plate by the gear lever...

roadsleeper
January 17th, 2008, 14:57
Great, thanks for the replies!

EXCEPT I think a lot of my Buddies with the the non Plus version of the RS6 would take exception to you refering to their Beasts as "Pedestrian" ---what do you drive - a Veyron?

Ha ha, I drive one of said pedestrian ones :p

jtessman
January 18th, 2008, 00:41
Has anyone investigated installing the Plus ECU/TCU on a N.A. RS6? If you look at the published tq/hp curves Audi (or more specifically Quattro) kept the torque curve flat out to 6500 rpm on the Plus and picked up another 30HP for the effort. While they did add more cooling I don't think it would be manditory unless you expect to make prolonged runs near the limits (ie autobahns).

As I understand it the ECU checks that it matches an electronic VIN somenwhere in the system - could this be recoded with the VAGCOM or otherwise spoofed?

Just a thought...

roadsleeper
January 18th, 2008, 20:45
jtessman - Not sure if I can really add anything useful while we wait for an answer to your question, but my $0.02:

The firmware (so to speak) in an ECU should only allow it the ablility to associate with the vehicle that it was programmed to go into (whether this is by virtue of VIN or some other means I am not sure).

Also, I don't think the cost/benefit of trying to get the programming from Audi would make sense since there are so many aftermarket tuners offering reflashes yielding much higher gains that what the RS6 Plus puts out. My guess is that the Audi programming (if they would even release it to the public) would have a 'factory premium' attached to it, making it much more costly than the offerings from the aftermarket tuners.

I don't think the additional radiators make too much sense Stateside because the speed limits are relatively low, and the weather is much kinder on vehicle performance. The weather down here is pegged at 30 degrees C / 86 degrees F pretty much year round with high humidity, also I regularly hit 250 kph / 155 mph in my RS6, so the added radiators would benefit me.

jtessman
January 18th, 2008, 22:08
I have talked to the APR guys and know that they need to code your VIN into their ECU's so they will work when you install them.

I was thinking more like picking up the Plus ECU from a breaker in UK/Europe and then trying to install it. Upside is your warranty isn't void since it is Audi code. The improvement may be modest but their published data is at least reliable.

Having talked to a couple of the companies tweaking the ECU code here in the USA and my conclusion is that some of them are just making educated guesses on performance. As soon as you ask to see dyno results they clam up. This seems to be backed up by the few posted results that don't demonstrate very significant improvements either on the dyno or the track.

Summers here in Texas are no picnic - I've seen temps in the mid 40's C here and being only 60 miles off the Gulf of Mexico we have no shortage of humidity either. However, at least we have seasons. It's only about 7C here today and the Beast just loves it! There is also plenty of room to stretch your car's legs here as well but still nothing like the autobahn.

Cheers...

troyjgaspard
January 21st, 2008, 07:56
jtessman,

glad to know that there is a brother in rs6 this close to me.i live in louisiana and have been wandering if there was anyone close to me like in texas.ill be in the houston area in 3 weeks id like to stop by and see ur beast if ud like to see mine

jtessman
January 21st, 2008, 15:18
I'll be up in British Columbia skiing that week so I'll have to pass on the meet. There are two other members I've seen posting with Houston credentials on this site.

Let me know if you are going to be back and we can hook up for a beer! I've only had my RS6 for a few months (just broke 10k mi on the speedo at Christmas!) so I am still acclimatizing to the new performance envelope.

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"

roadsleeper
January 22nd, 2008, 14:19
I have talked to the APR guys and know that they need to code your VIN into their ECU's so they will work when you install them.

I was thinking more like picking up the Plus ECU from a breaker in UK/Europe and then trying to install it. Upside is your warranty isn't void since it is Audi code. The improvement may be modest but their published data is at least reliable.

Having talked to a couple of the companies tweaking the ECU code here in the USA and my conclusion is that some of them are just making educated guesses on performance. As soon as you ask to see dyno results they clam up. This seems to be backed up by the few posted results that don't demonstrate very significant improvements either on the dyno or the track.

Summers here in Texas are no picnic - I've seen temps in the mid 40's C here and being only 60 miles off the Gulf of Mexico we have no shortage of humidity either. However, at least we have seasons. It's only about 7C here today and the Beast just loves it! There is also plenty of room to stretch your car's legs here as well but still nothing like the autobahn.

Cheers...

Ah, got it. I thought you wanted to buy a brand new ECU from Audi...

I agree that a lot of tuners (bar a hand full) just throw rough (unsubstantiated) numbers out there, and that they tend to flee once you as for evidence of performance gains. In fact I am currently dealing with one UK based one who claimed 510hp with their chip alone, yet have no on-paper proof of this. Their chip caused my RS6 to go into limp-home mode after just 2 days of driving...

The Plus' 30hp performance gains are sufficient to make the RS6 feel faster, especially when Mother Nature cooperates and gives you lower temperatures and humidity (missing Fall in NY, ha ha)!

Good luck with your plans, do post up your results!