PDA

View Full Version : RS6 owners - Does your throttle blip on downshifts?

roadsleeper
January 16th, 2008, 06:06
Let me preface this by saying that I've spent the last couple of days driving a Mk. V Golf R32, which absolutely rocks as a pocket rocket. The best part is that it blips the throttle to match revs on the downshift, even in "D".

Now, for some reason, I've read in several places online that the RS6 'box is programmed to do the same thing (I know, I know... Wikipedia is not exactly the internet's most reliable source). My MY2003 (Euro-spec) RS6 has never in its entire life blipped its throttle on the downshift, instead it eases into the gear like a normal automatic gearbox.

Does anyone's RS6 do this? Wondering if maybe our North American friends got this...

O.CT USA
January 16th, 2008, 06:18
The RS6 transmission is totally different from the DSG base on the facts that one utilize a DSG while the other isnt. The reason why your MK V desides to blip the throttle is that when you are in 3rd gear for example it pre selects the gear below and above already.

roadsleeper
January 16th, 2008, 06:32
I completely agree, the GAG 'box in the RS6 is nothing more than your run-of-the-mill automatic gearbox.

My question is more so whether or not anyone's RS6 came with this rev matching function I keep reading about. I'm curious because I'd like to retrofit this to mine if it is the case.

While I understand that it is technically easier to incorporate a rev match function in a sequential gearbox such as the F1 gearbox in the Ferraris, SMGs in the BMWs or DSG in VAGs, it can be done in pure automatics as shown by MB in the new C63.

I wonder if it would be a case of programming the TCU to read current revs prior to a downshift, than having it induce a throttle blip (easy with the drive-by-wire throttle) to the same revs as it downshifts; or if there is something mechanical involved.

Aronis
January 16th, 2008, 19:03
The DSG and Sequential shifters are directly connected via the clutch plate to the drive train. So when you release the clutch the engine is forced either by the movement of the clutch back from the moving wheels through the transmission or by the use of your foot to MATCH the RPM needed to actually engage fully, otherwise the clutch will slip...not good. So if you do it manually and are aggressively driving you would do it yourself, but the newer systems with automatic clutches must do this fuction themselves or the manufacturer will be replacing clutches left and right.
While the BLIPPING sounds like a fancy ADDED feature of the newer cars, it really is a necessary thing to match the RPMs.

Now the traditional old style Automatic transmission has a Torque Converter in the mix. That actually links the hard gears to the engine by a moving fluid which can have plenty of "Slip" without wearing anything out. The LOCKUP of the Torque converter (some gears not all) is allowed ONCE the RPMS are matched so as to have a Direct Link Transmision to Engine which allows for Better MPG.....

So don't be feeling left out performance wise because the RS6 does not BLIP on the downshifts....

Mike