PDA

View Full Version : LED lights for all?

KarlMarx
January 13th, 2008, 20:06
Sorry if this is a repeat of a thread but I'd thought I'd see what everyone thinks about Audi deciding to put the LED running lights on the A4 and the A3 Cabrio. Whether you like or loathe them, they'll quickly go from being a marker of something a little special, to being something you'll see every few minutes on a busy road - particularly because of the A4.

Am I the only one thinking like this?

And what next? The Ur-Quattro wheelarches on SEAT Alteas?

http://www.rs6.com/forum/../smilies/nono.gif

itisme
January 13th, 2008, 20:11
and when moonboots come in common, every one will wear moonboots. That has always been and will ever be so...

let's say girls want the latest fashion and boys want the lastet technical stuff. And LEDs are cool.. and we are all little boys, aren't we? ;)...

KarlMarx
January 13th, 2008, 20:14
I see your point but it would be nice to keep some of the things that are new/different on the RS6 /R8 as just that - at least for a while, given the type of cars they are.

itisme
January 13th, 2008, 20:17
I see your point but it would be nice to keep some of the things that are new/different on the RS6 /R8 as just that - at least for a while, given the type of cars they are.

that is impossible... take a look at the new GLK study of Mercedes. It has LED in the bumpers, too...

http://images.worldcarfans.com/articles/2008/1/13/9080113.001/9080113.001.Mini3L.jpg

you see?

KarlMarx
January 13th, 2008, 21:51
I meant it's a shame Audi are introducing it to other cars in the Audi line up - what other manufacturers do is up to them and I'm not surprised they're copying. I just think bringing in features across the Audi range which could have been kept for the higher marques is a shame. And it's not like it's particularly a safety feature or improves handling - it's a design feature.

chewym
January 13th, 2008, 22:08
It is a safety feature. Like normal DRLs except with less fuel consumption (hardly measurable) and with normla life expectancy for your bulbs.

Nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

If it allows Audi to sell more normal cars, it's good for them. Audi will have no problems with RS6/R8 sales. Plus the S6 had it first, and according to you it's too much of a regular car for such a feature when the S8 had it.

Hy Octane
January 14th, 2008, 00:55
Better than having your headlights on all day and burning them out..LED's last years..

Copper
January 14th, 2008, 19:52
I added aftermarket LED tail lights to my RS6 this weekend and they look fantastic!

I'll take pics and post.

Carl Lassiter
January 14th, 2008, 21:25
I meant it's a shame Audi are introducing it to other cars in the Audi line up - what other manufacturers do is up to them and I'm not surprised they're copying. I just think bringing in features across the Audi range which could have been kept for the higher marques is a shame. And it's not like it's particularly a safety feature or improves handling - it's a design feature.

I agree. LED tail lights I think are great, however.

Erik
January 14th, 2008, 21:43
I added aftermarket LED tail lights to my RS6 this weekend and they look fantastic!
I'll take pics and post.

We very much look forward to it!

The need SAAB 9-3 has them as well... :rolleyes:

Copper
January 15th, 2008, 01:29
Here are some pics of the LED tail lights that I installed this weekend.

Sorry, car is dirty I've been on business travel and collected many bugs and things along the way.

I will also take some night shots and post once I can get my wife to help me hold the brakes for the daytime/nightime with the lights on shots.

I really like the look of these tail lights. They make the '03 look like an '08 model. I've already had a few "what did you do to your car?" comments.

excellente
January 23rd, 2008, 21:29
Who makes them?

DuckWingDuck
January 23rd, 2008, 21:55
DBLIPA's got even more awesome ones, smoked LEDs.