PDA

View Full Version : B6 S4 4.2

13urt
January 11th, 2008, 10:08
Hi all. thought i should introduce myself, i have just purchased an 04 S4 and will be collecting it tuesday:hahahehe: , was really suprised by the quattro system, as ive been a Bmw Fan for years till my last M3 and the build Quality turned me towards Audi, Oh the V8, what a sound, any reccomendations for a new exhast system, i have heard that milltek is the best to go for , any advive welcome.
I have ordered some SD cards to download some music files for the car, however, not quite sure what format.. MP3 or WMA??

itisme
January 11th, 2008, 10:18
Wow, really nice color. Congrats and very welcome here.

The format for Music is MP3. But you may give it a try with wma, too. If you need a freeware to convert wma to mp3, just ask here and I'll help :)

really nice ride :s4Addict:

13urt
January 11th, 2008, 10:28
Cheers for the compliment, now you have lost me. this is totally new to me, what do you mean by freeware?? ive ordered the cards, thought it was as simple as loading the sd card into the drive in the pc and then downloading the music files?
Oh, whilst i have your attention, i have tried to find out as much info as i can but it seems that tech reviews are thin on the net about the S4, any problems with them that i should look out for?

itisme
January 11th, 2008, 10:40
Cheers for the compliment, now you have lost me. this is totally new to me, what do you mean by freeware?? ive ordered the cards, thought it was as simple as loading the sd card into the drive in the pc and then downloading the music files?
Oh, whilst i have your attention, i have tried to find out as much info as i can but it seems that tech reviews are thin on the net about the S4, any problems with them that i should look out for?

by freeware i mean software that is available for free in the internet. It's also called shareware if I'm not mistaken. I only said that to make sure for everyone we'll do nothing illegal ;). There are many programs available around the net, e.g. if you tipe in "Convert WMA to MP3" in a search engine, you will find a lot that can help you.

for tech info I hope some with a S4 around here can help you.

13urt
January 11th, 2008, 10:42
cheers fella:thumb:

PetrolDave
January 11th, 2008, 11:05
I have ordered some SD cards to download some music files for the car, however, not quite sure what format.. MP3 or WMA??
MP3 only.

PetrolDave
January 11th, 2008, 11:06
On the B6 the auxiliary radiators are prone to corrosion due to leaf and sludge build-up in the cooling intakes. This was sorted in the B7.

13urt
January 11th, 2008, 11:21
Ok, i'll have a look at that before i collect it on tuesday, however i do still have 1yrs full main dealer warranty, according the warranty, only the cooling pipes are not covered, so i should be good for a while, but i'll keep my eye on it, cheers for the heads up

BigRick
January 11th, 2008, 13:05
MP3 only.

Variable Bit Rate (VBR) is also supported. A nice little tool if you need to convert is this one: Advanced WMA Workshop (about 25$) and does a really good job at converting almost any format to any other format in an easy and fast way. http://www.litexmedia.com/wma_workshop/

VBR means you can put more music on your SD without sacrifying the quality too much (it is still compressed music afterall) as the encoding of the music will use just as much Bit Rate as it needs (well, that's a really short description but suffice to say that you'll be able to put more music on the card)

Other supported features
Music Taging (ID3 Tag: the name, artist and other info attached to the MP3 file)
Folder Structure (you can place you music with in folders to facilitate browsing)
Playlists (I think only M3U is supported)

Have fun and welcome to the forum.

PetrolDave
January 11th, 2008, 13:41
Playlists (I think only M3U is supported)
Correct - I use M3U playlists all the time.

Note that not all versions of ID3 tag are supported, only basic versions, and not all coecs are supported. So if an MP3 doesn't play on the RNS-E but does play on other devices first try changing the ID3 tag and second try using a different codec.

VBR isn't that useful since there is a hard limit of 400 or 512 files and folders (some people report their RNS-E only shows the first 400, others say their RNS-E sees the first 512 - no correlation between SW version or HW version has been found), and with a 2GB or 4GB SD card you reach that limit well before you fill the SD card even with 320kbps rip rate.

All this info and more can be found at http://www.navplus.us

Audijohn
January 11th, 2008, 19:34
Nice ride Buddy and wecome, good colour that.:cheers:

13urt
January 13th, 2008, 08:28
thanks guys for the help. downloaded hours & hours of music files, took me a while to work out how to do it as the whole thing is new to me, but got there in the end:thumb:
now just need to get an exhaust, as the stock one really restricts the sound of the V8