PDA

View Full Version : Audi R4???

tvrfan
January 10th, 2008, 19:32
The rumors about the Audi R4 are holding 1 year. ive searched about it on google and was reading that the R4 could make porsche angry. because there will be so much sportscars coming empor from the VAG that are comparing to porsche. porsche would be pissed off of that. and they said a R4 would be a loosing-buisness. SO for me i would like to see that car as hell. but whats the point??? a boxster or cayman competitor is the TT. its stupid. but cool. it could be possible that porsche overtake later VW and have the control then. so audi maybe couldnt build cars like they want (with hp strongness) and couldnt build cars that they want. i dont know how much porsche could get control audi in these things.

what do you think?

raulg
January 10th, 2008, 23:33
I think R4 doesn't fit anywhere in the Audi product range. The TT-S is fine, they could also add a TT-RS, but the R4 makes no sense being just a little R8. The R8 is small enough, nobody needs an Audi kart on the street. And if the R4 will get to close to the R8 I would be really pissed off, since the R8 is something special that should not be touched by a smaller clone. In the same regard, if there will be an TT-RS I hope it will not be where the R8 is in performance; but that will be hard, since the TT with plenty hp could easily match the R8(the 420hp/performance are not really special in this car, not in the super cars range).

No R4 please. Keep the R8 clean. Make a clear distinction between it and any other Audi car. Why build an R4 when they are so slow building the next RS4, RS5, etc ... They should focus on building better cars, not too many cars.

tvrfan
January 11th, 2008, 11:17
What do you think about that????

it could be possible that porsche overtake later VW and have the control then. so audi maybe couldnt build cars like they want (with hp strongness) and couldnt build cars that they want.

raulg
January 11th, 2008, 22:10
I think Porsche is a very smart company. I think they will take smart decision for the future of their company (that includes Audi in the future probably). They will not make Audi less profitable, they will not cut hp on Audi cars if BMW and MB & others will have those HP.

If Porsche gets Audi than the profit from R4 (as in this thread) or any other Audi car will still get in their pocket, why get upset then?

Leadfoot
January 11th, 2008, 22:25
The R4 will come about because co-development it the right way forward for both Audi and Porsche as both companies are in this market sector and with one (Porsche) developing their version in rwd form, while the other (Audi) developing theirs in awd form. Two totally different driving style from basically the same chassis and appealing to different customers.

gabbby69006
January 12th, 2008, 00:47
I think there is a real problem with Porsche. Audi is making cars that are good for Porsche customers : for some Porsche customers, Audi cars are combining driving pleasure and not so sporty, expensive and polutent image. Driving a 911 is driving a too flashy and exclusive car. And Porsche is really more profitable than Audi. The main question is : are some Porsche customers are buying Audis ?
- if yes, Porsche will stop every project that limits sold of theire own cars
- if not, Porsche will let Audi making powerfull sporty cars

But I think this relationship is little bit more complex : when Audi are selling cars, Porsche make money (because they are shareolder of VAG). So, the growth of Audi is not really a bad things Posrche, while they are grabbing customers from BMW and Mercedes. And I think fast sport cars are building the image of Audi, and are making A3, Qx, A4, A6, A8 more profitable.

What is for sure is that we will see the B8 platform in few models of Porsche and VW. I don't really believe ther will be a new R4 and Cayman based on the same platform : it sound too strange. And I'm agree that a such car have too smal room between R8 and TT. But it could become the new TT : in that case, it's another story...

PeterJohn
January 12th, 2008, 09:58
Skoda and Seat both use VAG technology at lower prices. Have people started buying those brands in masses, leaving VW behind? No.

You guys are assuming that people are robots who make decisions based on pure economic logic. But if that were the case, noone would buy Porsches at all.

If you search the internet archives, you'll find thousands of discussion like this about the VW Touareg and the Cayenne. Back when they were both still rumours. Why would anyone buy the much more expensive Cayenne, when they can have a equally capable and cheaper VW? Well, you can see how that turned out. Lot's of people bought the Cayenne, and thanks to the cost saving from having developed the chassis in collaboration, they made mountains of cash.

Cars like these are bought with emotion, not economic logic.

The Pretender
January 12th, 2008, 11:45
If there will be a Audi R4 it will be 4wd and i think it will replace the TT.
The problem with the TT is that it can't grow because of the A5.
A mid engined R4 give much more playground in every aspect than a TT Mk3.
The engine line-up will be based on 4 up to 6 cylinder engines with a power range probably between 200 and 360 hp.

http://images.worldcarfans.com/articles/2007/12/7/9071207.006/9071207.006.1L.jpg

Jarod.

The Pretender
February 6th, 2008, 16:43
R4 by Schulte.

http://www.motorauthority.com/images/Audi/R4/Render/01/Audi_R4_preview01.jpg

Jarod.

KarlMarx
February 6th, 2008, 16:52
So the R4 would compete with the Boxster a bit like the R8 with the 911?

The Pretender
February 7th, 2008, 19:43
R4 Roadster.

http://www.tripple.net/img/upa2007-2-28-24700-Audi_r4_reichel.jpg

Jarod.

Damienr8
February 7th, 2008, 19:54
R4 Roadster.

http://www.tripple.net/img/upa2007-2-28-24700-Audi_r4_reichel.jpg

Jarod.

LOL HORRIBLE CHOP:lovl:

The Pretender
March 31st, 2008, 15:48
No Porsche Boxster rival for Audi.

Audi will not build a “baby” version of its R8 supercar to challenge the Porsche Cayman and Boxster premium roadster.

Over the past year, Audi sources have told and other publications that the premium brand was considering building a smaller version of its mid-engine R8 coupe that would be named the R4.

Last week an Audi spokesman said the automaker has no plans to build such an R4.

Jarod.

Rage
March 31st, 2008, 17:08
If true, thats a real shame.

At least it makes way for a 350HP TTRS. Personally id rather a baby R8.

The Pretender
March 31st, 2008, 19:22
If true, thats a real shame.

At least it makes way for a 350HP TTRS. Personally id rather a baby R8.
The top of the range TT will never have more power then the new Cayman S DFI. ;)

Jarod.

Audiphile
April 1st, 2008, 03:02
There was no real official word from Audi confirming a product such as the R4. Speculation abound and it sounds funny to me that Audi would make such an official release considering the R4 was never in the future Audi product mix. I think many enthusiasts wanted a baby R8, but it makes no sense from an Audi prospective. The TTS and TTRS will serve this demographic quite well within the specified price range. The TTRS will more than hold its own against a Boxster. Audi needs to concentrate on other products within its premium range. Audi needs to fill the upper segment a little more with the likes of an A7 and other big expensive Audi models to keep moving upmarket. The R4 doesn't fit this area.

As for Porsche killing the R4 is a bit speculative. Audi and Porsche have more to gain by sharing development than by Porsche trying to limit Audi especially since Audi is a direct competitor against the Dark Force of BMW and MB. Porsche does not directly compete in overall strategy with BMW and MB. Porsche has everything to gain from a strong and dominant Audi and this is where it will go. Yes, Porsche may reduce some product overlap, but VW is more to blame for trying to compete against Audi rather than focuing on Toyota. This is where Porsche should use its hatchet and cut VW's grandious ideas of trying to achieve luxury parity with Audi, BMW, and MB. But of course, our friend Piech stands in the way.

pampas
April 1st, 2008, 04:40
Audi R4 is canceled. It never started, but anyway, the whole ideea is canceled, forget about it. There is the TT (with the RS coming soon), that's good enough for a small coupe.

"Latest reports say that an Audi spokesman said that the automaker has no plans to build an R4 and that it was never in their product planning."

Read article here. (http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/03/31/wtf-audi-r4-not-to-see-production-because-porsche-execs-are-scared/)

The Pretender
June 8th, 2008, 21:29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rkgFw1Jvjs&eurl=http://www.audiblog.nl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rkgFw1Jvjs&eurl=http://www.audiblog.nl/)

Jarod.

chewym
June 9th, 2008, 05:29
Good, "news sources" made up the R4. It made little sense with the TT.

Ellden
June 9th, 2008, 09:55
If anyone is going to make the "R4" i'll bett on VW since the new family-face will look like the Scirocco. Compared to the chops of the R4 it's likely to see a convertible sort of that car (as a "sporty" golf-convertable). Though probably not in the direct same form.