PDA

View Full Version : SE Exhaust, "chips" & ECU question from a newbie

MrCoupe
January 8th, 2008, 21:52
I’ll soon be in the market for a used RS6. After considering and driving E46 M3s, E39 M5s & 996 C4s’ I made the mistake of test driving a RS6 a couple weeks ago..my god what a beast! It’s the best “does everything” car on the planet! I’ve been a BMW guy for the last 8 years and never thought I’d leave them but the RS6 blew me away.
<O:p</O:p
I’ve been researching the archives over the last few weeks and am unable to locate answers to a couple questions that I’m sure are basic but aren’t easily found using search.
How can you tell if a car has the SE Exhaust<ST1:p</ST1:p…black tips?
I’m sure at some point in the future I’ll want to chip the car (how can you not!?!) but am very worried about a potential $12K transmission bill if it goes out someday and my warranty is voided due to the chip. What I’d like to better understand is whether there's a higher proportion of tranny (and other high dollar) failures on “chipped” RS6s vs “stock” ones? I’d assume yes, but was wondering if there’s any data to support that.

Probably wishfull thinking here, but are there any truly “undetectable” ways of chipping these cars? Can you actually reflash everything back to stock with companies like APR/GIAC or is it easy/cost effective/possible to get a second “stock” ECU & TCU to put in the car for service visits?
Sorry for all the questions, any feedback would be appreciated. I’m looking forward to joining your ranks soon!

Copper
January 8th, 2008, 22:09
First of all, welcome! I am also an ex-BMW guy. Many E31's E39's E36 and E34 BMWs over that last 15 years have been in my stable of cars.

The RS6 is a fantastic vehicle and the most "well rounded" car I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

1. Sound Enhancing Exhaust: Black tips instead of chrome. Easy question. Also it well, sounds better!

2. Ohh.. a loaded question. I think the failures are coming from both stock and modified RS6's. I 'hear' a lot about tranny failures but only know of a couple that have had issues and well, (Flame suit on) no one has fessed up to how they treated their cars before the failure. Even a stock RS6's tranny will have a hard time with the torque if it is getting thrashed every day. I have found that if you don't do a lot of standing starts hammering the car from stop light to stop light (any high HP/torque automatic really) then you should be safe from the tranny gremlin. I say that and tomorrow my transmission will fall apart... :hihi:

3. I'm going to get the Revo ECU flash tomorrow. For $899 with a 30 day money back guarantee, I think it is worth taking a look at. They also sell a $399 ECU box that allows for manual boost control and programs to be loaded for 100 octane race fuel and back to stock 100% if you are letting your wife drive (my wife drives like a granny so I'm safe there) or taking it in to the dealer for service. I like that aspect. APR has a feature that allows for program changes via the cruise control interface but the whole ECU/TCU package is in the $2500-$3000 range. I have also read some posts that APR did not yield the desired HP/torque increase and was removed and returned for full credit. I can't speak to this since I am 100% stock on both of my RS6s.

I am trying the ECU flash first and will wait and see if I want or need the TCU from GIAC or MTM. The Revo rep put me in touch with 4 RS6 owners as references that have not had any issues. 2 owners have had the Revo flash program for over 2 years without issues. I am not thrashing my car every day and even stock am careful not to hammer the car. I am really looking for a mid-range increase in the 3-4 gear range while already moving along. If I find that the tranny is in any way shape or form acting up I will immediately take the ECU back to stock and either be out $1300 or decide if a TCU will help.

Let me put it this way; I would be greatly more concerned about your DRC system than the transmission on these cars. There is some hard data failure rates to read about. Fear the Trunk Monkey!

Good luck and post some pics once you get your beast!

:addict:

DuckWingDuck
January 8th, 2008, 22:30
I agree with Copper, before worrying about the chip and violating warranty and what not the DRC is a more important item to keep in mind.

gjg
January 8th, 2008, 23:02
2. Ohh.. a loaded question. I think the failures are coming from both stock and modified RS6's. I 'hear' a lot about tranny failures but only know of a couple that have had issues and well, (Flame suit on) no one has fessed up to how they treated their cars before the failure. Even a stock RS6's tranny will have a hard time with the torque if it is getting thrashed every day. I have found that if you don't do a lot of standing starts hammering the car from stop light to stop light (any high HP/torque automatic really) then you should be safe from the tranny gremlin. I say that and tomorrow my transmission will fall apart... :hihi:

3. I'm going to get the Revo ECU flash tomorrow. For $899 with a 30 day money back guarantee, I think it is worth taking a look at. They also sell a $399 ECU box that allows for manual boost control and programs to be loaded for 100 octane race fuel and back to stock 100% if you are letting your wife drive (my wife drives like a granny so I'm safe there) or taking it in to the dealer for service. I like that aspect. APR has a feature that allows for program changes via the cruise control interface but the whole ECU/TCU package is in the $2500-$3000 range. I have also read some posts that APR did not yield the desired HP/torque increase and was removed and returned for full credit. I can't speak to this since I am 100% stock on both of my RS6s.

I am trying the ECU flash first and will wait and see if I want or need the TCU from GIAC or MTM. The Revo rep put me in touch with 4 RS6 owners as references that have not had any issues. 2 owners have had the Revo flash program for over 2 years without issues. I am not thrashing my car every day and even stock am careful not to hammer the car. I am really looking for a mid-range increase in the 3-4 gear range while already moving along. If I find that the tranny is in any way shape or form acting up I will immediately take the ECU back to stock and either be out $1300 or decide if a TCU will help.

:addict:

TCU from one and ECU from another "tuner" may not be such a good idea. :vhmmm: If you do it, stick with one. If you chip, do gear box as well - as a matter of fact TCU chip alone may not be bad idea. Get it from someone who tested the car AFTER their wrote the software on their own, not on their customers.

Do not have personal experience with REVO - however I'd search the board here before "saving" few hundred buckaroos on front end... Some tuners write software and some actually spent money to test it before going out to sell it. :thumb:

gjg
January 8th, 2008, 23:05
Probably wishfull thinking here, but are there any truly “undetectable” ways of chipping these cars? Can you actually reflash everything back to stock with companies like APR/GIAC or is it easy/cost effective/possible to get a second “stock” ECU & TCU to put in the car for service visits?

Welcome a board, Mr Coupe - be carefull, it is addictive ... :hihi:

and to answer your question - factory rep will read the chipped car and will know immediately.

IMHO if you chip, live with the consequences ...... :revs:

O.CT USA
January 9th, 2008, 07:16
I would highly recommend O.CT Chips! :)

Copper
January 9th, 2008, 21:38
Revo installed today. WOW! Really really happy. Smooth shifts (smoother actually) and instant power.

I need to dyno and try some 1/4 mile runs to get real data. However the Butt Dyno says I'm much much faster over stock. We drove the the car before and after and I'm in the unique position to hop in my other RS6 which is stock and the Revo flash makes a HUGE difference. I drove home from Buford, GA to Marietta, GA - mostly freeway about an hour. Parked and hopped in my other RS6 and took it back to the freeway. There is really no comparison. RS6 #2 with the Revo flash program has a lot more power and delivers is it along a broader powerband... instant power really. I can't describe it any other way. Yes, you can go back to 100% stock on the ECU with the Select Plus box also run 91 octane, 93 and 100 along with three user settings that can be programed to the box with the included software via USB to a PC. The Boost, Fuel and Timing can all be adjusted and saved to the Select Plus module for upload to the ECU. Turn off the car, select the program on the box (1-9 and A,B,C) plug the box into the diagnostic port, turn on the car, listen for the beep from the box, turn off the car and take out the box. You can even use the box for theft protection to disable the ignition.

For long business trips and dealer service I will go back to stock.

DuckWingDuck
January 9th, 2008, 21:59
Copper, care to snap a pic of the Select Plus box and its placement? This sounds interesting.

MrCoupe
January 10th, 2008, 03:08
Wow, thanks for the responses everyone! Great feedback.

I'm aware of the potential for DRC issues and am already setting aside $2K-$5K for a set aftermarket coilovers & sway bars if/when the time comes...I'd rather replace it once and be done worrying about it.

As for chips...sounds like there are several options but they all have their pros/cons. I'll continue to research this and watch the message boards for feedback. It is encouraging to hear that tranny failures, while possible, aren't as common as it would appear...right?

Thanks again for the information...can't wait to sell my BMW and start "the hunt"!

DuckWingDuck
January 10th, 2008, 03:13
I think there are a few other guys on the board who're from the Seattle area.

Copper
January 10th, 2008, 04:27
Duck, will do!

Look for pics I just added in the ECU Upgrade Sticky and I will take some pics of the box tomorrow. I'll load the software on my laptop and take some pics of the user interface as well.

DuckWingDuck
January 10th, 2008, 05:39
that'd be awesome!

hahnmgh63
January 17th, 2008, 05:29
If you get an RS6 give me a shout. I live just south of Tacoma. All I've done to mine is BBS RS-GT's (19"), EBC pads, Revo flash, and APR R1 diverter valves plus RNS-E. hahnmgh@peoplepc.com

DuckWingDuck
January 17th, 2008, 05:33
Another Revo flash guy, how do you like it? Also, how much did you spend on that RNS-E?

hahnmgh63
January 17th, 2008, 06:16
I'm happy with the Revo, I've had it flashed for about 8 months now and they just notified me that there is a improved software so I need to bring the car by to have it reflashed with the new code (free).
As for the RNS-E, it is great. The Nav works very well, the Bose sounds even better through the RNS-E than the symphony II (seems to be the consensus from others as well), and the SD card slots are great. I mostly listen to my MP3's on the SD card slot but occaisonally XM, but only because I already paid for the subscription. If you upgrade from the symphony and have XM in your car, you will still have to get the latest Audi XM module as the original one will not work. The same part # except the original was suffix "A" and the correct one now is either "E" or "H" depending on what's available. I got a good price on my RNS-E off of Ebay, they can be hit or miss, watch the prices and of course the sellers Feedback, and you need the one for the A6 & older A4's as the one for the newer A4's has different surrounding trim. MGH

DuckWingDuck
January 17th, 2008, 06:28
I was under the assumption that even the old A4 RNS-Es won't work. That's a good tip.

s42ski
January 18th, 2008, 03:19
Another happy Revo customer here - had it for several years - keep the car primarily in stock mode except for trips to Mammoth or fun days like Julian drives:burnout:

hahnmgh63
January 18th, 2008, 03:19
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2
The RNS-E is great, definitely a great upgrade. MGH

hahnmgh63
January 18th, 2008, 03:21
The Revo is good, just gives the car a little more power and torque. Like most software upgrades, I'm sure it doesn't give the car as much as they claim but it is noticeable. They have a newer software out now and I will be taking my car in to have it flashed in the next couple of weeks and if it is noticeably improved I will post it here. MGH

Copper
January 18th, 2008, 22:52
Go get the upgrade and lwt me know if you feel an improvement. I have a brand new REVO flash (less then 2 weeks) so I'm assuming I have the latest program. Did you also purchase the Select Plug programmer?

I noticed a HUGE difference over stock in my RS6.