PDA

View Full Version : TT-S Revealed - Official Thread

HKS786
January 8th, 2008, 18:46
Okay guys, just thought I'd make an official thread now that it's revealed! :ttaddict:

HKS786
January 8th, 2008, 18:51
2.0 TFSi engine
272 bhp
"S" quad exhaust system
"S" bodywork including S5 wheels
LED running lights
"S" interior treatment

will be revealed at Detroit with R8 V12 ;)

HKS786
January 8th, 2008, 18:52
High res pics:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/leaked-audi-tt-s.html

KresoF1
January 8th, 2008, 19:13
I like it a lot.

RXBG
January 8th, 2008, 19:19
you beat me to it! the internet is a wonderful thing.

RXBG
January 8th, 2008, 19:21
THOSE are the seats the R8 should have. WTF?

Leadfoot
January 8th, 2008, 19:28
Well lets give those of us who said it would have a 2.0TFSi engine with DSG, instead of the 3.6v6FSi that other were so sure about.

Now all I am waiting for the comfirmation of whether the performance pack is going to be offered or not.

P.S.

Those of you which happen to have one on order, expect to be very impressed indeed as this will be an amazing little car.

Leadfoot
January 8th, 2008, 19:53
2.0 TFSi engine
272 bhp
"S" quad exhaust system
"S" bodywork including S5 wheels
LED running lights
"S" interior treatment

will be revealed at Detroit with R8 V12 ;)

It's a shame that the TT/S is getting the 18" version of the S5 alloys instead of the 19" alloys that are standard on UK S5s.

HKS786
January 8th, 2008, 19:59
It's a shame that the TT/S is getting the 18" version of the S5 alloys instead of the 19" alloys that are standard on UK S5s.

True. What you thinking about the bodywork bro? I remember we had other ideas for the front bumper. Do you think it looks a lot better in official pics?

Leadfoot
January 8th, 2008, 20:10
True. What you thinking about the bodywork bro? I remember we had other ideas for the front bumper. Do you think it looks a lot better in official pics?

Yes I do, I was just saying as much to a dear friend of mine. ;) The official pictures look great and I reckon that is because we are now seeing the car in colour which allow us to see the detailing of the nose better than the early spy shots.

Ruergard
January 8th, 2008, 21:43
Looking very, very good! This will be one quick little car.. escpecially with some tuning! :revs:

AndyBG
January 9th, 2008, 00:39
It is beautiful, it fantastic ! :applause:

I love it !

Too bad that we have to wait until september too have it on the streets...

One question for everybody, what is proper name:

1. TTS
2. TT S
3. TT-S
4. TT/S
5. or something else ?

TTS is my pick.

crespo
January 9th, 2008, 01:24
I'm hoping for TT S.

HKS786
January 9th, 2008, 02:28
I'm hoping for TT S.

Yeah, I think it's TT S

Arslanoff
January 9th, 2008, 08:48
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4394/audittsleaked4rs6.jpg

Leadfoot
January 9th, 2008, 08:58
This car is what I call Touring in Total Sportiness.

Or TiTS for short.:D

AndyBG
January 9th, 2008, 11:04
This car is what I call Touring in Total Sportiness.

Or TiTS for short.:D

Nice one, Leadfoot ! :thumb:

So, we are down to TTS or TT S...

I really can't say what Audi tought to be the name between these two... ?

The Pretender
January 9th, 2008, 12:06
S-Line Carbon kit looks 10x better and it's TT S IMHO.
After these pics i start to like the A5/S5 even better.
The body kit design don't suit the TT, also don't like the 2.0TFSI R4T engine.

Jarod.

roadrunner
January 9th, 2008, 12:59
S-Line Carbon kit looks 10x better and it's TT S IMHO.
After these pics i start to like the A5/S5 even better.
The body kit design don't suit the TT, also don't like the 2.0TFSI R4T engine.

Jarod.

Cannot please everyone ;) Let's just wait for the first tests to judge the engine.

I have to see the front in real life - not sure about it from the pics. But il looks much better than in the spy pics.

Leadfoot
January 9th, 2008, 16:53
I don't know about the rest of you but I am very excited about the little TT/S. Any of you who have driven the normal TT2.0TFSi will know just how good a chassis Audi have given it, it is right up there with the very best fwd cars but being an Audi it's got the looks and quality that is seldom see at this price level. Add in the security of the Quattro setup and the extra power with torque and this will be a pocket rocket which only the Japanese seems to have tapped in to.

I am interested to see how the combination of the extra power, the Magneticride suspension and the lighter/better balance weight between the axles will feel in comparison to the likes of the Z4 and Cayman. Me reckons that Audi is on to a winner and it could be the best small Audi this side of the mighty R8.

I wonder what has caused to delay as originally the talk I hear from the dealer and else where was that the TT/S would be seen in the spring of 2008 but at least the delay will be well worth it.

The Pretender
January 9th, 2008, 17:16
I don't know about the rest of you but I am very excited about the little TT/S.
Why. ?
You have a S5 on order right. ?
I would not bother about the TT S at all if i had a S5 coming.
I'm more and more dissapointed in the TT, running gear wise.

Jarod.

RXBG
January 9th, 2008, 17:17
this thing better be much lighter than the 3.2. it doesn't have that much more power. if it is considerbaly lighter it'll cost considerably more because more aluminum will have to be used.

Damienr8
January 9th, 2008, 17:19
this thing better be much lighter than the 3.2. it doesn't have that much more power. if it is considerbaly lighter it'll cost considerably more because more aluminum will have to be used.

I wouldn't be surprised if the TTS price entered into Cayman territory.

Leadfoot
January 9th, 2008, 17:29
Why. ?
You have a S5 on order right. ?
I would not bother about the TT S at all if i had a S5 coming.
I'm more and more dissapointed in the TT, running gear wise.

Jarod.

Yeah I have a S5 coming, should be here very soon in fact, but I am looking at it from purely handling, braking etc and not so much the actual engine. Unlike you I don't have a problem with the choice of engine as most of my experience with turbo engines have been 4cylinder units.

Qisha
January 9th, 2008, 17:35
Dear Friends,

the official 0-100 km/h time is 5.2s with manual transmission. S-tronic is 5.0s. (Coupe)

Weight is 1.395kg (Coupe) and 1.455kg (Roadster).

Average fuel cons. 8.0l/100km/h (Coupe), 8.2l/100km/h Roadster.

Base Price Germany Coupe 44.900 Euro, Roadster 47.750 Euro inc. Tax.

Qisha

crespo
January 9th, 2008, 17:37
Launch control with S-tronic?

Qisha
January 9th, 2008, 17:44
Launch control with S-tronic?

Dear crespo,

yes.

How the launch control works:

shift to "S-Mode", turn off "ESP", left feet on brake pedal, right feet -> slam gas pedal, release brake pedal. Equals maximum acceleration.

By the way Magnetic Ride is standard on the TTS.

Qisha

RXBG
January 9th, 2008, 17:45
that car is going to be sweet with the S-tronic. wow. though mine would be manual.

RXBG
January 9th, 2008, 17:48
1460 kg for the US spec manual 3.2!

65 kg difference

maybe it has more than 270 hp? or more torque than expected?

The Pretender
January 9th, 2008, 17:58
65 kg difference...
25 Kg more, it's 40 Kg between A3 3.2 and S3.

Jarod.

Ti-Mike
January 9th, 2008, 18:04
THOSE are the seats the R8 should have. WTF?

which seat you are talking about the brown or the black seats

Leadfoot
January 9th, 2008, 18:28
Dear Friends,

the official 0-100 km/h time is 5.2s with manual transmission. S-tronic is 5.0s. (Coupe)

Weight is 1.395kg (Coupe) and 1.455kg (Roadster).

Average fuel cons. 8.0l/100km/h (Coupe), 8.2l/100km/h Roadster.

Base Price Germany Coupe 44.900 Euro, Roadster 47.750 Euro inc. Tax.

Qisha

So it is as expected, in other words bloody quick in acceleration for what is a small capacity coupe with a competitive price. The times are even better than I had hoped, I thought the S/Tronic version would be capable of 5.2s but 5.0s for the official figures are amazing. That leads me to believe it's even quicker than an my estimates of 0-160km/h in 12.4s, we might have a TT/S which is quicker than the Cayman S yet costs a heck of a lot less.

Leadfoot
January 9th, 2008, 18:31
which seat you are talking about the brown or the black seats

The spec on this thing is amazing, racing style seat and magnetride suspension all as standard.

I might just need to rethink that idea of an M3 after all.;)

KresoF1
January 9th, 2008, 20:03
The spec on this thing is amazing, racing style seat and magnetride suspension all as standard.

I heard that new TTS is as fast as Cayman S around Hockenheim but, still it is not match for new M3.

BTW, my wife just said to me:"You will have your R8. I want TTS roadster!"

Well... Her wish is my command!

KresoF1
January 9th, 2008, 20:22
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_3671.shtml

RXBG
January 9th, 2008, 20:30
25 Kg more, it's 40 Kg between A3 3.2 and S3.

Jarod.

was referring to the TT. :brag:

HKS786
January 9th, 2008, 21:56

Yeah you're so right bro. If 5.0 is official figure and we KNOW Audi is probably being quite conservative, then think what can be achieved in real life. It sounds very promising!

What could happen if there was a TT-R? :hahahehe: To be honest though, Audi could leave the TT-S as the top model and there would still be a good model range for the TT.

KresoF1
January 9th, 2008, 21:57
Qisha made a small mistake... It is 5.4s for manual and 5.2s for S-Tronic.

HKS786
January 9th, 2008, 22:04
Qisha made a small mistake... It is 5.4s for manual and 5.2s for S-Tronic.

Is this confirmed? Even still, 5.2 S-tronic time would translate to perhaps 5 secs flat in real life...

KresoF1
January 9th, 2008, 22:08
Yes it is. Read following press release carefully...
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_3671.shtml

On second page is:"The Coupe with manual transmission takes just 5.4 seconds to race from zero to 100 km/h (62.14 mph), while a mere 4.4 seconds are required to speed up from 80 to 120 km/h (49.71 to 74.56 mph) in fourth gear. The Roadster is almost as impressive, recording times of 5.6 and 4.6 seconds respectively for the same two exercises. The electronic limiter calls a halt to this outstanding propulsion at a speed of 250 km/h
(155.34 mph) in both models." and "As an alternative, customers can opt for S tronic, which operates using six gears and two clutches positioned one behind the other. At high engine loads and rev speeds, it is capable of shifting in just two-tenths of a second. As a result of this high-speed shift work and its dynamic start-off capabilities, the dual-clutch transmission from Audi shaves a whole two-tenths off the time taken for the sprint from zero to 100 km/h (62.14 mph) in both the Coupe and the Roadster."

ZeroCool
January 9th, 2008, 22:15
@KresoF1...

I only have the German version ... from auto-motor-sport.de ... and they say the times which Qisha said...

Das sportliche Herz des TTS basiert auf dem bekannten Zweiliter-TFSI-Aggregat, das in der überarbeiteten S-Version stramme 272 PS und satte 350 Nm Drehmoment liefert. Damit soll der Ingolstädter in 5,2 Sekunden von Null auf 100 km/h beschleunigen. Die Höchstgeschwindigkeit wird aber wie bei Audipüblich auf 250 km/h begrenzt.

In Kombination mit einer manuellen Sechsgangschaltung und dem serienmäßigen Allradantrieb soll der Verbrauch des aufgeladenen Vierzylinders im Mittel 8,0 Liter im Coupé und 8,2 Liter im Roadster betragen. Mit dem optionalen DSG sinken die Werte um 0,1 respektive 0,2 Liter, auch die Spurtzeit wird um 0,2 Sekunden gesenkt.

At the first paragraph there stands, that the Car needs 5,2 sec. to 100km/h ... in the 2nd that with the optional DSG (S-Tronic) it will be 0,2 sec. faster...

Leadfoot
January 9th, 2008, 22:34
So what if Qisha was a mere 0.2s out on his figures, the man's knowledge and experience of the brand is greatly appreciated, that still puts the TT/S ahead of the game in terms of performance per buck. Everything about this little car spells pure driving pleasure and so what if the M3 is a little bit quicker than either the TT/S or the Cayman S around Hockenheim, does that really matter when so much enjoyment can be had for so little money.

I know I have made a commitment to the dealer for the M3 and I am a man of my word and won't turning my back on a deal but if I was in the position of considering a new sporty Coupe and the M3 was one of my choices then I would be looking long and hard at the TT/S and would find it's build quality, looks, interior design and performance hard to argue against, even when one of the other options was an M3.

In fact when the TT/RS comes out I reckon the R8 will be finding stiffer competition from within instead from other brands and the RS5 will really have to be something very special indeed to win my vote. As for the M3 and Z4M, both of these cars will find that life at the top just got a heck of a lot more difficult.

HKS786
January 9th, 2008, 23:26
So what if Qisha was a mere 0.2s out on his figures, the man's knowledge and experience of the brand is greatly appreciated, that still puts the TT/S ahead of the game in terms of performance per buck. Everything about this little car spells pure driving pleasure and so what if the M3 is a little bit quicker than either the TT/S or the Cayman S around Hockenheim, does that really matter when so much enjoyment can be had for so little money.

Yep that's it. You know it gets to a point where there is an acceptable amount of performance that will make you smile. The TT-S as you said might not be as fast as the M3 round the track, but if it delivers the power in such a way that makes you smile it will have achieved it's mission. I really like this car :)

Yahh
January 10th, 2008, 02:06
Is is one great car. Both in terms of looks and performance :ttaddict:

bober3
January 10th, 2008, 04:37
yes this is real competion to z4 m

Leadfoot
January 10th, 2008, 08:54
Qisha says 5.2s for the manual and 5.0s dead for the S/Tronic.

This is what Autoexpress has to say about the TT/S

The fastest-ever TT has broken cover - and these are the first official pictures. With more performance and a stylish makeover, the sporty Audi has the Porsche Cayman firmly in its sights.
Called the TTS, the newcomer is marked out by a revised nose that features R8 supercar style LED lamps. These distinctive daytime running lights combine with powerful xenon headlamps and deep grille to give the Audi an imposing presence on the road (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/214776/audi_tts.html#). Finally, 18-inch alloy wheels and silver finish door mirrors help distinguish the S from lesser models.
Futher changes have taken place in the cabin. A chunky flat-bottomed steering wheel is joined by leather trimmed sports seats, and aluminium trim for pedals and doors.
However, the really big news takes place under the bonnet, where engineers have managed to squeeze 270bhp out of the 2.0-litre TFSI powerplant. Linked to the grippy standard fit quattro drivetrain it results in a time of 5.2 seconds for the sprint from standstill to 62mph. Choose the swift-shifting DSG semi-auto and the figure drops to a blistering 5 seconds.
To keep up with the Porsche Cayman in the corners, the TTS gets Audi's hi-tech magnetic active dampers. The steering has been sharpened, while the ESP gets a new, less intrusive setting.
When the TTS is launched at this month's Detroit Show it will be available in both coupe and roadster bodystyles. Later in the year the first UK examples will arrive, priced at around £34,000 for the fixed head and £36,000 for the soft top.

Either Qisha and Autoexpress are both wrong or Fourtitude and KersoF1 are, either way we are getting one heck of a quick little car.

P.S.
Check out the UK price for the coupe, I was only £1K out and that was 3 months ago. ;) Not bad for a guess and when you consider that the TT3.2 S/Tronic is £30K without Magneticride, the extra power+performance, the aggressive bodywork and the better headlights with LED, the TT/S starts to look amazing value for money.

What a star. :bow:

RXBG
January 10th, 2008, 14:08
kreso has made mistakes previously. and fourtitude wrote an entire article practically confirming a V10 in the detroit R8, now they are are retracting that.

KresoF1
January 10th, 2008, 14:20
kreso has made mistakes previously. and fourtitude wrote an entire article practically confirming a V10 in the detroit R8, now they are are retracting that.

I made mistakes? Where? Here on rs6.com? Well, IMHO around of 95% of my info was(is) accurate, unlike some other deep throats here...

I have official PDF in German with info that also fourtitude posted in English.

And your animosity and arrogance towards me is getting pretty interesting...

If I(and full Audi Germany PDF press release) is wrong I will say that I was wrong. BUT, what if other person(s) were wrong? I politely said that Qisha made simple mistake(probably typo)...

I truly do not understand some people here...

Maybe Erik truly needs to do something here.

Erik
January 10th, 2008, 14:29
Maybe Erik truly needs to do something here.

Yes. I was typing a reply in that sort of way already but you beat me to it.

This forum is the place for guesswork, facts, rumors to lay the 'big puzzle' and not to say who is right or wrong most times. We all make mistakes or rely on sources that are wrong.
Has anyone been 100% right all of the time?
Perhaps only those who keep quiet, and that doesn't make for a very good forum.
If a magazine is wrong all of the time, please hang them but please don't hang out members that are wrong.

If someone is clearly doing nothing but spreading lies that's another thing, but I don't think that has happened.

KresoF1
January 10th, 2008, 14:37
Thanks Erik!

Your comment is really a class act IMHO.

Best Regards,

Kreso

crespo
January 10th, 2008, 15:31
bravo Erik!

Leadfoot
January 10th, 2008, 15:45
KersoF1,

I don't think RXBG was getting at you, it's only when you pick someone else up for a mistake you have to accept that the same will be received in return.

Like on the other thread 'Audi in Detroit' I reckon the official time would be 5.4s which it was and you stated 'actually it's 5.6s', you have to remember if you state something in a matter of fact way people will pull you up on it, especially if you state other people to be factually wrong like Qisha was on some occasions.

As Erik said this is a jigsaw puzzle with small bit of info coming from numerous sources and if we can keep picking faults every time someone gets it a bit wrong then what is the point posting info as someone will pick you up on your mistakes.

P.S.

This applies to all of us, myself included. :cheers:

KresoF1
January 10th, 2008, 15:54
Leadie,

I agree with you.
BTW, "actually it's 5.6s" is pretty accurate-it is time for TTS Roadster 0-100km/h(manual version).

Leadfoot
January 10th, 2008, 17:15
Leadie,

I agree with you.
BTW, "actually it's 5.6s" is pretty accurate-it is time for TTS Roadster 0-100km/h(manual version).

I know the roadster is 5.6s but you and I both know you were meaning the Coupe, it's the one we always talk about when discussing figures.

I wonder how accurate my estimate will be with regards to the 0-160km/h. ;)

HKS786
January 10th, 2008, 17:47
Wallpaper sizes now availible!

http://www.netcarshow.com/audi/2009-tts_coupe/
http://www.netcarshow.com/audi/2009-tts_roadster/

Julz RS4
January 11th, 2008, 05:34
^^^^Thanks mate for those wallpapers. The new TTS looks really great. :thumb:

itisme
January 11th, 2008, 09:54
New TT S is now at Audi.de

http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/neuwagen/tt/tts.html

some more nice Pics

http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/product/tt/tts/tts_2006.Par.0105.Image.jpg

http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/product/tt/tts/tts_2006.Par.0106.Image.jpg

http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/product/tt/tts/tts_2006.Par.0107.Image.jpg

http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/product/tt/tts/tts_2006.Par.0109.Image.jpg

http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/product/tt/tts/tts_2006.Par.0110.Image.jpg

http://www.audi.de/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/product/tt/tts/tts_2006.Par.0111.Image.jpg

all pictures are available as wallpaper, too:
http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/neuwagen/tt/tts/galerie/bildgalerie.html

Leadfoot
January 11th, 2008, 10:42
Do you like the way the speedo goes up to 300km/h. I wonder does this mean that the performance-pack is coming (it was hinted to me a while ago that this would be a possibility) and that it may include a raised topspeed. :hahahehe:

tvrfan
January 11th, 2008, 11:28
leadfoot,

wich performance pack??? do you mean more hp for the TT-S???

source? ^^

KresoF1
January 11th, 2008, 11:35
Do you like the way the speedo goes up to 300km/h. I wonder does this mean that the performance-pack is coming (it was hinted to me a while ago that this would be a possibility) and that it may include a raised topspeed. :hahahehe:

BTW, check out specs here:
http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/neuwagen/tt/tts/motor.html

itisme
January 11th, 2008, 12:00
BTW, check out specs here:
http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/neuwagen/tt/tts/motor.html

specs from Audi.de in short: (no german required ;) )

2.0 TFSI
200 kW (272 PS)
350 Nm 2.500 - 5.000 U/min
(S tronic) TTS Coupé 0-100km/h 5.2sec
(S tronic) TTS Roadster 0-100km/h 5.4sec
V-Max 250km/h

Audi TTS Coupé 2.0 TFSI
consume 8,0 l/100 km; CO2-emission 191 g/km
Audi TTS Coupé 2.0 TFSI S trronic
consume 7,9 l/100 km; CO2-emission 188 g/km
Audi TTS Roadster 2.0 TFSI
consume 8,2 l/100 km; CO2-emission 194 g/km
Audi TTS Roadster 2.0 TFSI S tronic
consume 8,0 l/100 km; CO2-emission 190 g/km

Leadfoot
January 11th, 2008, 13:50
leadfoot,

wich performance pack??? do you mean more hp for the TT-S???

source? ^^

Yes, more power and possibly torque as well and yes I was talking about the TT/S.

No, I will never say where or from whom my info comes.

tvrfan
January 11th, 2008, 14:07
@ leadfoot

audi never did a performance pack for S or normal cars, right? so what do you think how would it be named?

The Pretender
January 11th, 2008, 15:51
TTS Movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pshe3_RyIKY

Jarod.

ültje1
January 11th, 2008, 16:50
i love this car :)

by the way my S3 is for sale ;)

audi TTS Coupé is comming !:ttaddict:

mfg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRs9NtFvOJ8

The Pretender
January 11th, 2008, 17:09
TTS Movie 2.

http://www.autozeitung.de/online/render.php?render=0104249

Jarod.

Leadfoot
January 11th, 2008, 19:02
I must say you would have to be a die hard BMW fans not to find this thing a lot more exciting than a Z4 3.0sport or a 335i. If the S5 portrays quality and class the TT/S adds one more to that list, EXCITEMENT.

SigmaS6
January 12th, 2008, 00:04
Now I'm really wondering why you are so exited about the TTS. I mean I still dislike it wholeheartedly (the looks are ok though) and think it's a pretty sassy approach to let people wait two years just to put the ECU of the S3 in the TT and sell it as S model with 8% more power than the standard and 25kg less weight, but reading all the excitement posts I realize many of them are coming from you.

So why should an S5 owner envy a 4pot 2l TT? I just don't get it. I mean if you had a GTI it would be the next stage and I could clearly understand your motives, but it sounds as if you're on the verge of downgrading with pride. You'd lose half your engine block, the power and the sound, don't do it! :D

Oh, and am I the only one in here who thinks that 4 tail pipes for a 2l engine is totally laughable? :)

And no, it wont make 300. I'm sure it will show you 300 though, but don't forget that the 2.0l already shows ~280 when it reaches its vmax of 245. The Audi speedometer precision is just terrible, but people seem to like it this way.

Leadfoot
January 12th, 2008, 00:21
SigmaS6,

I love the looks of the TT, always have and knowing how good the fwd TT drives with it's lighter engine I just know that adding more power and awd will improve things even more so.

I prefer cars which handle well and on this front I feel the lighter TT will give more of a buzz than what the S5 could muster but in any case that was not what the S5 was design for, it's role is to be a classy Grand Tourer not a pocket rocket.

Am I down grading, no because I already have my name on an M3 but if I didn't then I would very much like the try out this as a future replacement.

If capacity is what rocks you boat well and good but not everyone needs or wants to go that route.

P.S.

If you think an Audi speedo is bad try a BMW.;)

Rage
January 12th, 2008, 05:57
Now I'm really wondering why you are so exited about the TTS. I mean I still dislike it wholeheartedly (the looks are ok though) and think it's a pretty sassy approach to let people wait two years just to put the ECU of the S3 in the TT and sell it as S model with 8% more power than the standard and 25kg less weight, but reading all the excitement posts I realize many of them are coming from you.

So why should an S5 owner envy a 4pot 2l TT? I just don't get it. I mean if you had a GTI it would be the next stage and I could clearly understand your motives, but it sounds as if you're on the verge of downgrading with pride. You'd lose half your engine block, the power and the sound, don't do it! :D

Oh, and am I the only one in here who thinks that 4 tail pipes for a 2l engine is totally laughable? :)

And no, it wont make 300. I'm sure it will show you 300 though, but don't forget that the 2.0l already shows ~280 when it reaches its vmax of 245. The Audi speedometer precision is just terrible, but people seem to like it this way.

In short...couldnt agree more.

Leadfoot
January 12th, 2008, 10:40

A question for you, if you happen to be driving an M6v10 and the new M3 had just been announced, would it be classed as down-grading just because you preferred to change to something which had better handling but was ultimately slower in a straight line.

You see the stupidity of your statement.

The only reason for the quad pipes is that this is the new trade mark for S models, chances are when the S3 gets it's face-lift it too will received the same treatment in much the same way as the B6-B7 S4 did.

P.S.

SigmaS6 & Rage,

Not everyone will want a big V8 or even a V6 engined car and just because Audi see fit to choice this engine over the 3.2v6 they clearly had their reasons even if you don't understand them or agree with them.

I also think that you two are in a minority by not getting excited about these two little coupes.

SigmaS6
January 12th, 2008, 13:04
would it be classed as down-grading just because you preferred to change to something which had better handling but was ultimately slower in a straight line.

There's more than just one world between a 4.2l V8 and a 2l I4. In your example you change your style but keep the level, but here you're close to loosing everything. You're getting back from the premium segment to a standard engine that's with slight modifications also beating in e.g. a seat leon or the rabbit. I'd see this as equal to dropping the excitement and exclusiveness factor all together and getting back on a chipped GTI stage.

I never said a chipped GTI isn't fun to drive, but I'm sure we can agree that it's playing in a different league than the S5.

The only reason for the quad pipes is that this is the new trade mark for S models
Imo it's made for people who like to impress those that don't know the technical details of this car and assume a powerful engine in an quad-piped S-model.

I also think that you two are in a minority by not getting excited about these two little coupes.
Maybe those who don't like it don't even register in forums like this just to rant about it. In the german forums it seems to be more balanced though, I didn't see unanimous excitement there. So maybe it's once more a matter of road types and general speed limits, that lead to totally different perceptions of the same concept.

But I agree that it will sell well, the 2l engine keeps it cheap for an S-model, so it should be an instant success. Even though that wasn't the initial idea behind S-models in the past...

The Pretender
January 12th, 2008, 14:44
I don't like the front bumper and the side skirt at all.
I like the rear valance but on a 3.2 quattro.
The question is will the TTS grill fit into the S-Line front bumper and the exhaust valance in the rear S-Line bumper.
In that case you can put on the TTS a normal S-Line carbon bodykit and put in the "S" grill.
And you can put the TTS rear valance on a 3.2 Quattro S-line bumper.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
January 12th, 2008, 20:21
There's more than just one world between a 4.2l V8 and a 2l I4. In your example you change your style but keep the level, but here you're close to loosing everything. You're getting back from the premium segment to a standard engine that's with slight modifications also beating in e.g. a seat leon or the rabbit. I'd see this as equal to dropping the excitement and exclusiveness factor all together and getting back on a chipped GTI stage.

I have never classed the achievements of any car solely on what engine it happens to use, but you are correct in saying that perception from others may view the size of an engine to the ability of the car as the norm is bigger is better. Porsche has had to fight this for years with it's inferior 6cylinder small capacity engines against the like of Ferrari, Lamborghini and others with their 12cylinder large capacity engines.

But which one is profitable and which have been bought over time and again. I personally put this down to Porsche producing the results in term of performance while offering a well balanced package with regards to handling, braking and economy.

I believe the same will apply to the TT/S. Ignore the engine note and this car will deliver on every other fronts and deliver in buckets, to disregard this car because of it's engine you will have to do the same when the TT/RS arrives because it too will have a smaller engine than the rest of the competition.

Imo it's made for people who like to impress those that don't know the technical details of this car and assume a powerful engine in an quad-piped S-model.

Wrong, this car is made for people who aren't concerned with engine size but by the abilities of the machine, the people that will consider this are the type that buy the Cayman instead of a 997 regardless of cost because it is the better balanced car in term of overall performance. The number of exhaust mean precious little.

Maybe those who don't like it don't even register in forums like this just to rant about it. In the german forums it seems to be more balanced though, I didn't see unanimous excitement there. So maybe it's once more a matter of road types and general speed limits, that lead to totally different perceptions of the same concept.

This is something I do agree with, no small capacity engine will run with the big boys for long when it comes to topspeed, but then again this is a TT after all and that is hardly it's point.

But I agree that it will sell well, the 2l engine keeps it cheap for an S-model, so it should be an instant success. Even though that wasn't the initial idea behind S-models in the past...

You can't be stuck in the past, the breed has had to change and this is because BMW has moved it's M models into direct competition with the RS. I reckon in the future a return to smaller forced induction-ed engines will be the way forward for the S models at least.

SigmaS6
January 12th, 2008, 20:57
Porsche has had to fight this for years with it's inferior 6cylinder small capacity engines against the like of Ferrari, Lamborghini and others with their 12cylinder large capacity engines.

They use a 3.4l in the Cayman S, so it seems they are not downsizing in any way close to Audi. And why Audi believes that the performance models should be the first to be downsized is absolutely beyond me.

Imo it's a nice effort if VW does that with the 1.4l TFSI rabbit, but why should Audi chose the TTS for such an experiment? Are there really the environmentally aware customers?

Also I'm not sure if we can really call it downsizing in the TTS, imo Audi was just too cheap to develop an engine for the TTS, so they put in what they still had lying around.

to disregard this car because of it's engine you will have to do the same when the TT/RS arrives because it too will have a smaller engine than the rest of the competition.
If it has the 2.5l I5 it will have an exclusive and powerful engine of just the right size. An engine no rabbit will have and with a sound that is RS worthy.

the people that will consider this are the type that buy the Cayman instead of a 997 regardless of cost because it is the better balanced car in term of overall performance.
Wasn't the 911 turbo made for those who strive for better balance and performance than the std 911? ;)

You can't be stuck in the past, the breed has had to change and this is because BMW has moved it's M models into direct competition with the RS.
BMW offers a 3l engine with 306hp in the 135i, their engine lineup seems perfectly ok to me, totally free of downsizing experiments. The same goes for the M models.

Mockenrue
January 12th, 2008, 21:09
imo Audi was just too cheap to develop an engine for the TTS, so they put in what they still had lying around.

From Fourtitude:

Compared to the engine it was derived from, the two-liter power unit has undergone extensive reengineering and strengthening to ready it for operation in the TTS – overhauled areas include the engine block, the cylinder head, the pistons, the connecting rods and the turbocharger, which can build up as much as 1.2 bar of relative air pressure. The intake and exhaust systems have undergone elaborate honing to allow the refined four-cylinder engine to both breathe freely and generate a powerful, resonant soundtrack. An optimized and highly efficient intercooler lowers the temperature of the compressed air, producing a crucial increase in the quantity of air supplied for combustion.

Qisha
January 12th, 2008, 21:27
Dear Friends,

actually the TTS does not sound "that bad" like some are assuming. The base engine has won the "Engine of the year" Award if you remember. Nearly every engine (and around it) part has been re-engineered for use in the TTS.

Give that little bullit a chance. :cheers:

Qisha

SigmaS6
January 12th, 2008, 21:34
From Fourtitude:

Compared to the engine it was derived from
Please read carefully, the engine it was derived from is the 2l engine from the TT and GTI, not the S3 engine. The mentioned changes are those that lead to the S3 engine, the TTS-engine is 1:1 the S3 engine, without any modifications.

Leadfoot
January 12th, 2008, 22:50
SigmaS6,

I might be wrong on this so don't take it as gospel, but I was under the impression that the TT/S was using a new version of the 2.0TFSi engine what will first see service in a VW with the Tiguan.

How much of a difference there is I am uncertain but there are differences.

But clearly what ever anyone says about this car and as engine you have already made your position clear and look likely to stick with it.

SigmaS6
January 12th, 2008, 22:59
I might be wrong on this so don't take it as gospel, but I was under the impression that the TT/S was using a new version of the 2.0TFSi engine what will first see service in a VW with the Tiguan.
Not sure when the first GTI RaVe will be delivered, but it should be the same 2l 270hp engine, so I guess this one will have it first :)

If they really had changed anything for this engine I'd be very surprised, because what would you change to get 2 percent more power? The revised 2l will have 211 hp, so 11 more. I don't think those changes done to the S3 engine add up to just 7.

Leadfoot
January 12th, 2008, 23:11
I think we had this discussion quite a while ago, only that time it was the case that you felt the TT/S would be useless compared to the Z350, again because of engine size.

Same record, different tune. ;)

SigmaS6
January 12th, 2008, 23:29
I think we had this discussion quite a while ago, only that time it was the case that you felt the TT/S would be useless compared to the Z350, again because of engine size.
I doubt that. Yes, i think the 350Z should be the dominating factor to find the right output for any new model in this segment, but I'm no big fan of the 350Z because I don't feel that it offers much more than power (I don't even think it makes good use of it).

Btw, given that Audi would have made the TTS with say 330hp (which is around the maximum you can achieve with chipping) and two turbos to get rid of the lag I wouldn't have had many problems even with the 2l engine choice. I'd still have missed at least one cylinder, but my overall attitude would be rather positive.

Currently I think I'm pretty much in line with car and driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/14501/2009-audi-tt-s-coupe-and-roadster.html):

Although the announcement of the TT-S isn’t a huge shock—we’ve been expecting it for a while now—it is rather surprising that its output isn't a huge improvement on the TT 3.2’s 250 horsepower and 236 pound-feet. We’re hopeful but not optimistic that the TT-S will represent a more notable jump in performance than that offered by the 3.2 over the 2.0T—and in some instances the 2.0T is actually quicker than the 3.2. We’re afraid we don’t see much of a point.

Indeed, with much of its equipment, like the magnetic shocks, available as options on the 3.2, the TT-S begins to feel like more of a trim package—probably an expensive one—with a bonus power bump. We will, however, wait to reserve final judgment until we slide behind the TT-S’s flat-bottomed steering wheel once it goes on sale this November.

I think we agreed in the past that this engine in the TT might well be a good idea, but doesn't imply an S-badge. Maybe we can settle for this :)

Leadfoot
January 12th, 2008, 23:47
Btw, given that Audi would have made the TTS with say 330hp (which is around the maximum you can achieve with chipping) and two turbos to get rid of the lag I wouldn't have had many problems even with the 2l engine choice. I'd still have missed at least one cylinder, but my overall attitude would be rather positive.

If Audi had of given you what you wanted then there would never have been a need for a TT/RS and also the price wouldn't have been £34K but more like £40K and I am sorry but not S model in TT form could have commanded a price like that.

I think we agreed in the past that this engine in the TT might well be a good idea, but doesn't imply an S-badge. Maybe we can settle for this :)

I don't see the point in discussing the rights or the wrongs with the engine choice until the car is here and has been tested. Don't you agree.

I have got a guts feeling that this car will really deliver but until it's tested by others (motoring press) I can not prove it. Time will prove me right. ;)

The Pretender
January 13th, 2008, 03:38
Good test results is not everything, you still have a 4 cylinder engine for your money.
Even a 272 ps 5 cylinder engine would be the better option IMHO.

Jarod.

chewym
January 13th, 2008, 04:43
How would the 5 cylinder version of the exact same engine be any better. The fuel economy on the TTS is very, very good. And it's a very light engine as well. Adding an extra cylinder would kill both fuel economy and add a lot more weight.

Leadfoot
January 13th, 2008, 10:26
How would the 5 cylinder version of the exact same engine be any better. The fuel economy on the TTS is very, very good. And it's a very light engine as well. Adding an extra cylinder would kill both fuel economy and add a lot more weight.

chewym,

I think we are beating a dead horse with this one. :nana:

To some people engine size is more important than handling finesse and decent economy.

The Pretender
January 13th, 2008, 10:58
The same power output from a engine with one cylinder more not mean more fuel use.
The 2.0 is a high state tuned engine with a big turbo to get the power output and it have turbo lag.
A 5 cylinder would produce the same power with a smaller turbo and less turbo lag and probably the same fuel use.
Therefore IMHO the better option, i don't like a kick in the back small typ of engine.
Only the little more weight is a minus factor for a 5 cylinder, every thing else is a big pro factor.

Jarod.

tvrfan
January 13th, 2008, 11:29
HOPE ITS NO RE PoST !

NICE engine Sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pshe3_RyIKY

The Pretender
January 13th, 2008, 12:08
Yes nice one, two cars together in the mountains.
They still sound like coffee grider's to me.
Imagine a 300 hp 3.6 VR6 FSI TTS on that road in te mountains, that would sound like haven, and they only needed one of it.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
January 13th, 2008, 12:43
Yes nice one, two cars together in the mountains.
They still sound like coffee grider's to me.
Imagine a 300 hp 3.6 VR6 FSI TTS on that road in te mountains, that would sound like haven, and they only needed one of it.

Jarod.

Agreed but the video would have to run a little longer as it wouldn't have the same handling finesse. ;)

But that would be OK to you and sigmaS6 as it's noise which is most important after all. :hihi:

SigmaS6
January 13th, 2008, 12:48
it's noise which is most important after all. :hihi:
Nah, that's just a byproduct of sufficient displacement ;)

The Pretender
January 13th, 2008, 14:14
Agreed but the video would have to run a little longer as it wouldn't have the same handling finesse. ;)

But that would be OK to you and sigmaS6 as it's noise which is most important after all. :hihi:
Ok the R4 2.0TFSI will handle a little better then a 3.6 VR6 FSI.
The TTS (1395 Kg) is just 15 Kg lighter then a 3.2 TT (1410 Kg) and a 3.6 will most likely weight the same as a 3.2.
But for the few time's a year i spend on the Nordschleife or in mountain terrain like Luxembourg or switzerland a 3.6 VR6 FSI would do just fine for me.
I'm not a weekly track junky ;) most of the time i'm in traffic.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
January 13th, 2008, 20:26
Ok the R4 2.0TFSI will handle a little better then a 3.6 VR6 FSI.
The TTS (1395 Kg) is just 15 Kg lighter then a 3.2 TT (1410 Kg) and a 3.6 will most likely weight the same as a 3.2.
But for the few time's a year i spend on the Nordschleife or in mountain terrain like Luxembourg or switzerland a 3.6 VR6 FSI would do just fine for me.
I'm not a weekly track junky ;) most of the time i'm in traffic.

Jarod.

You have to remember that the TT/S uses larger heavier brakes among other things so the two cars aren't exactly like for like when you are discussing their overall weight. I think we all need to step back from that debate on the engine choice and see just how good the car is as an overall package.

I take neither yourself or SigmaS6 will be potental customers so why knock something you won't even consider.

chewym
January 13th, 2008, 22:11
Noise is easy to make. A ricer 115 horsepower Civic with a cofee can exhaust will make just as much noise as a 490 horespower F430. With eyes closed you wouldn't tell the difference all that well.

RacerBice
January 14th, 2008, 11:34

Already the stock TT 2,0T matches S5 and even TT 3,2 around a track. With Quattro and 72 BHP more, those too will be hopelessly lost. The S5 is entirely different kind of car, though, and desiarable on its own grounds.

As for number of cylinders, it's the size of the engine which enables this car to go as fast as it does. Döööh. I have an S3 and compared it in on numerous occasions with A3 3,2's (only 15 BHP less). There's no way I'd wanna switch to the 6 cylinder.

I agree with the exhaust pipe remark, though. But more on a general note. I think people (including yourself, it seems) are ridiculously hung up on this. For me, the ideal would be if pipes were entirely hidden, like on some diesels.

RB

itisme
January 14th, 2008, 17:07
Detroit pictures:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080114.011/audi-tts-officially-unveiled-at-detroit

http://images.worldcarfans.com/articles/2008/1/14/9080114.011/9080114.011.Mini3L2.jpg

Leadfoot
January 14th, 2008, 19:50
One incredibly smart looking little car and next to the R8 it's Audi's best looker.

SigmaS6
January 14th, 2008, 20:04
One incredibly smart looking little car
And I fully agree with that. Except for the engine choice I totally like it.

The Pretender
January 14th, 2008, 20:22
I liked the TT but i start to move further and further to the A5 3.2 FSI Quattro S-Line or S5.
The V6 3.2 FSI Valve-Lift engine have tuning potential, with chip exhaust and metal cat's you can get 300> hp out of it.

Jarod.

SigmaS6
January 14th, 2008, 20:25
The V6 3.2 FSI Valve-Lift engine have tuning potential, with chip exhaust and metal cat's you can get 300> hp out of it.
But would that be worth it? I mean there's still the S5, so you can get performance with full warranty and some other 'free' extras directly from audi in one pack, why try to build it yourself?

The Pretender
January 14th, 2008, 20:40
But would that be worth it? I mean there's still the S5, so you can get performance with full warranty and some other 'free' extras directly from audi in one pack, why try to build it yourself?
I see no problem with chipping the engine, exhaust and cat's.
Further a S5 cost ± 30% more then a 3.2 Quattro.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
January 14th, 2008, 20:53
Listen, guys if you are really that mad keen on a S5 mine will be up for sale in about 6 months or so.

And just to keep you interested I have supplied an exhaust note to keep you happy.

S5_revving (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5nbq6xtAnc) :D

Ruergard
January 14th, 2008, 22:00
Oh, that's a nice end of this day.. :revs:

Thanks for that video Leadie! :thumb:

The Pretender
January 19th, 2008, 21:37
TTS Movie.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xp2RA7RX43g&feature=related

Jarod.