PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 TDi

gjg
January 5th, 2008, 13:43
anyone on the list got 4.2 TDi in Q?

roadrunner
January 5th, 2008, 15:51
No, but i have driven one, while in Frankfurt for the IAA in Sep.

Do you need some special info? Some of the members on a german forum have already one.

Cheers :cheers:
seb.

gjg
January 6th, 2008, 00:14
well, just looking for some driving experience, 3.0 is just too lazy ... :jlol:

AndyBG
January 6th, 2008, 01:36
I was briefly behind the 'wheel of the Q7 4.2 TDI, and all I can say that IT IS NOT LAZY ! :D

Ti-Mike
January 6th, 2008, 10:37
well, just looking for some driving experience, 3.0 is just too lazy ... :jlol:

Yes you are right. I have played around with the 4.2l Q7 last week.
Nice engine, but why you need it.
The 3.0 TDI incl a ABT chip has enough torque for this kind of car.

The Q7 4.2 or 3.0 are so damm heavy that even a Golf GTI will disapear on the countryside road.

The brakes are good but not great.

I never understood the issue having a SUV with this kind of power or even more. Because in the end the performance is not better then a Audi A6 3.0 TDI.

Except you like to put a trailer with a car behind the Q7 i don't really see the point.

Leadfoot
January 6th, 2008, 11:16
Yes you are right. I have played around with the 4.2l Q7 last week.
Nice engine, but why you need it.
The 3.0 TDI incl a ABT chip has enough torque for this kind of car.

The Q7 4.2 or 3.0 are so damm heavy that even a Golf GTI will disapear on the countryside road.

The brakes are good but not great.

I never understood the issue having a SUV with this kind of power or even more. Because in the end the performance is not better then a Audi A6 3.0 TDI.

Except you like to put a trailer with a car behind the Q7 i don't really see the point.

I agree that an decent handling Hothatch will walk away into the distance if the road is twistie but that is not the point of a powerful SUV, the strengths lay in the Motorway ability to cover great distances with ease and comfort. This is where the 4.2TDi will be so special, I too have sampled the beast and it's over-taking capabilities are second to none plus the lazy nature of the gearbox in the 3.0TDi also disappears with the extra torque as it seems more willing to drop down with the throttle being pushed to the carpet.

The is few cars or SUVs which are better at taking you in comfort on long distances than the Q7, the only one which springs to mind is the RangeRover but it's weight means it will never provide the kind of performance gjg would be wanting.

mr
January 7th, 2008, 09:57
I agree that an decent handling Hothatch will walk away into the distance if the road is twistie but that is not the point of a powerful SUV, the strengths lay in the Motorway ability to cover great distances with ease and comfort. This is where the 4.2TDi will be so special, I too have sampled the beast and it's over-taking capabilities are second to none plus the lazy nature of the gearbox in the 3.0TDi also disappears with the extra torque as it seems more willing to drop down with the throttle being pushed to the carpet.

The is few cars or SUVs which are better at taking you in comfort on long distances than the Q7, the only one which springs to mind is the RangeRover but it's weight means it will never provide the kind of performance gjg would be wanting.

Well -> like Ti-Mike I still get the point for SUVs, when not using them to tow boat- or what ever - trailers.
For comfortable cruising -> well .. in my eyes a A6 or maybe even A8 should do that much better and firmer.
But well -> maybe I just don't get it.

rgds
mr

Ti-Mike
January 7th, 2008, 13:01
When i had to make my decision fall 2007, which car I buy for the winter/spring i tried the Q7 3.0 TDi and 4.2l FSI and the Allroad.

My decision the 3.0 Tdi Allroad. The perfect all-rounder, for my needs.

I know the Q7 looks very nice and the appearance of the car is big specially with the S Line kit.

But as and all-rounder I like the Allroad better and as I have tested last weekend in St. Moritz an real great car in the snow not comparison with the Q7 ( to heavy up and down the hill, as a friend of mine had a Q7 3.0 TDI ) and the old Allroad 2.5 Tdi ( the tracking is much better on the new model )

The Q7’s problem in the snow was the weight down the hill as the car started sliding over the front wheels where the Allroad was stable as hell and i could even stop the car, as I saw my friend sliding in front of me. He told me that he was lucky that nobody was coming uphill as he had to open the brakes to get back the control of the car.

Late afternoon going back to his house he really struggled to make it up the hill where the Allroad’s ESP light didn’t even switched on for a second. He was very surprised as I have been as well.

We both drive Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow W210.

That's the reason i went for the A6 Allroad ( http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13484 ), but i love the look of the Q7.

Leadfoot
January 7th, 2008, 16:50
The Q7’s problem in the snow was the weight down the hill as the car started sliding over the front wheels where the Allroad was stable as hell and i could even stop the car, as I saw my friend sliding in front of me. He told me that he was lucky that nobody was coming uphill as he had to open the brakes to get back the control of the car.

Late afternoon going back to his house he really struggled to make it up the hill where the Allroad’s ESP light didn’t even switched on for a second. He was very surprised as I have been as well.

We both drive Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow W210.

That's the reason i went for the A6 Allroad ( http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13484 ), but i love the look of the Q7.

I know we don't get the same amount of snow as you do but the other day when it was quite icy I also noticed that the big Q7 was having problems stopping. I didn't noticed any problems going up hills as my driveway it steep and the big girl never missed a beat. I wonder is there any differences between the quattro application in the two cars, apart from the fact that the Q7 has an almost perfect weight balance compared to the Allroader.

gjg
January 7th, 2008, 20:20

As Leadie pointed this is not twisty road riceracer but fat arse long distance comfy cargo hauler. Q will not do even remotely that family "wagon" does but that is not the purpose for that car - I use it for about 90% winter drives due to pisspoor or nonexistent road maintenance in this area. Aux heater is priceless when stuck for 8 hrs on iced road.... :snow: ....... :thumb:

Just need little more ooomph, 3.0 is just simply too lazy - I also believe fuel consumption would improve.

gjg
January 7th, 2008, 20:26
I know we don't get the same amount of snow as you do but the other day when it was quite icy I also noticed that the big Q7 was having problems stopping. I didn't noticed any problems going up hills as my driveway it steep and the big girl never missed a beat. I wonder is there any differences between the quattro application in the two cars, apart from the fact that the Q7 has an almost perfect weight balance compared to the Allroader.

Tires would make a big difference - I use Bridgestone Blizzaks LM (?) winter (rough tread) and this tire works better on snow and ice than M2/M3 Winter Dunlops.... wet/dry road not that good....

Weight is and issue but whats new? We had Jeep Grand Cherokee for years, which was even heavier than Q. Sucked the fuel like there was no tomorrow though....

gjg
January 7th, 2008, 20:29
Well -> like Ti-Mike I still get the point for SUVs, when not using them to tow boat- or what ever - trailers.
For comfortable cruising -> well .. in my eyes a A6 or maybe even A8 should do that much better and firmer.
But well -> maybe I just don't get it.

rgds
mr

well, 4 people, ski equipment, stuff for 10 days - in A6? No way. Oh, did I forget the dog :doh: ?

Leadfoot
January 7th, 2008, 21:44
well, 4 people, ski equipment, stuff for 10 days - in A6? No way. Oh, did I forget the dog :doh: ?

St.Bernard with a jar of brandy on it's collar, I suppose. :hihi:

Ti-Mike
January 8th, 2008, 08:06

I agree 100%, the A6 Allroad has not the same space as the Q7.

Ti-Mike
January 8th, 2008, 08:11
Tires would make a big difference - I use Bridgestone Blizzaks LM (?) winter (rough tread) and this tire works better on snow and ice than M2/M3 Winter Dunlops.... wet/dry road not that good....

Weight is and issue but whats new? We had Jeep Grand Cherokee for years, which was even heavier than Q. Sucked the fuel like there was no tomorrow though....

I know the Jepp issue, you must be a shareholder of Shell to run this car.

I agree as well on the issue of wintertires. That's why I went for the Scorpion and not for the very smooth SOTTOZERO.
The SOTTOZERO is very nice and almost noiseless tire, but in the real snow, well ........

Ti-Mike
January 8th, 2008, 08:12
Aux heater is priceless

yes it is, no doubt about this.

gjg
January 8th, 2008, 20:34
St.Bernard with a jar of brandy on it's collar, I suppose. :hihi:

a keg ..... :applause: ... single malt that is, Isle ...... :thumb:

Leadfoot
January 8th, 2008, 20:49
gjg, I thought you would appreciate that bit of humour.

gjg
January 9th, 2008, 00:12
gjg, I thought you would appreciate that bit of humour.

and the drink toooo .... :jlol: :cheers:

Audijohn
January 23rd, 2008, 09:20
I had the A8 4.2TDI sport, It was more economical that the 3.0TDI A8 I had the year before, and the power/performance is really good.
So the Q should be a much more comfortable economical drive IMO. Good luck with it.;)