PDA

View Full Version : Z4M likely to get M3 V8 late 2008

Rage
January 1st, 2008, 18:17
Read on z4post that the current Z4M is likely to get the M3V8 late this year as a swansong before the release of the new Z4 shape.

Bear in mind this is speculation from a frequent posting apparently well informed BMW employee. Those who visit M3post etc may already know who i mean.

If thats true that would make the car a true monster. Considering that the M3V8 weighs LESS then its e46 V6 predecessor that powers current Z4Ms I would bet that car would crush all rivals.

TTS/RS better watch out:)

Id take a V8 over a 2.3 I5 in a flash.

ZeroCool
January 1st, 2008, 18:21
the V8 is too heavy...i'd never take a V8 over an I5 :)

but that's something personal which everybody should know for himself ;)

Rage
January 1st, 2008, 18:26
If youre concerned about balance the Z4M is already 50/50 distribution with the 'heavier' V6.

I admire great cars and a z4M with the new V8 is a beast in my books.

PeterJohn
January 2nd, 2008, 10:34
One of the reasons, if not THE reason, why the M3 switched to a V8 is because a straight six has an inherently weak engine block (long and narrow), so with every increase in displacement and power, the block needs to be reinforced. BMWs straight six has reached a point where they can't justify the weight increase.

Forced induction is one solution to keep the straight six compact, while extracting more power, but BMW has painted themselves in a corner with their anti-F.I. marketing, so the ///M cars needed a different solution.

The straight six will probably be discontinued, so for the Z4 to switch to the M3 V8 is only logical.

Leadfoot
January 2nd, 2008, 11:15
I hope they will improve it suspension setup as well as changing the engine as the current Z4M doesn't give the kind of confidence that either the TT or E92 M3 can give you.

No doubt it's quick on a track but as I have said numerous times, who drives to work on the same smooth tarmac of a race track.

tvrfan
January 2nd, 2008, 12:29
One of the reasons, if not THE reason, why the M3 switched to a V8 is because a straight six has an inherently weak engine block (long and narrow), so with every increase in displacement and power, the block needs to be reinforced. BMWs straight six has reached a point where they can't justify the weight increase.

Forced induction is one solution to keep the straight six compact, while extracting more power, but BMW has painted themselves in a corner with their anti-F.I. marketing, so the ///M cars needed a different solution.

The straight six will probably be discontinued, so for the Z4 to switch to the M3 V8 is only logical.

BMW was against Turbocharging. but they dont come around them. because C02 usw. you see the 3.0TT from 335i was the first. now the second 4.4 V8 TT. for the X6. the next will come 4 cylinder and more 6 cylinder turbos for new F10 5er series. and the M boss said when formula 1 is having V8 engines. then they would put turbochargers in their M-cars. thats the true story.

RXBG
January 2nd, 2008, 19:37
Read on z4post that the current Z4M is likely to get the M3V8 late this year as a swansong before the release of the new Z4 shape.

Bear in mind this is speculation from a frequent posting apparently well informed BMW employee. Those who visit M3post etc may already know who i mean.

If thats true that would make the car a true monster. Considering that the M3V8 weighs LESS then its e46 V6 predecessor that powers current Z4Ms I would bet that car would crush all rivals.

TTS/RS better watch out:)

Id take a V8 over a 2.3 I5 in a flash.

acceleration- yes- faster.

handling- not sure it'd handle better.

looks- adding another ugly bulge to the sheetmetal won't help it. but i don't think that people who buy the Z4 buy it because of its looks. how could one?