PDA

View Full Version : I like the S5 but not the engine.

The Pretender
December 31st, 2007, 21:19
I start to like the S5 more and more, but don't like the V8 engine.
I would like to remove the V8 and put in a inline 5 zylinder 20v turbo engine.
Something like this one: 650 hp 780 Nm.

http://www.dahlbackracing.se/galleri/polo/pic10.jpg

Jarod.

chewym
December 31st, 2007, 21:50
Why not supercharge the V8. A much more reasonable way to get more performance.

The Pretender
December 31st, 2007, 22:15
Why not supercharge the V8. A much more reasonable way to get more performance.
Like i say, don't like V8 engines, and i even more don't like superchargers.
This Dahlback inline five 20v turbo delivers 650 hp and 780 Nm of torque.
And it sounds 10x better then a V8 IMHO, it revs up to 8200+ rpm and sounds like heaven to me.
Dahlback have also a R5 20v turbo 950 hp version in there Golf RSI.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
December 31st, 2007, 22:21
Jarod,

But how reliable can a 2.2L engine producing in excess of 300hp per litre be. Plus it's driveability would leave a lot to be desired, I agree that the old Quattro engine sounded something special, especially the Group B rally beast and I hope that the TT/RS can capture some of that sound but you have to be practical when you are talking about an everyday machine like the S5.

The Pretender
December 31st, 2007, 22:34
Mine experience say it can be bullit prove up to 600 hp with street fuel.
Above that you need Racing fuel to get the power up to 950 and a lot of fine tuning.

If i build a car like that in the future, it will be a street legal luxurious semi light weight Thunderbolt with a lot of racing technology.
And it will wipe the floor with the future RS5 i can ensure you.

Jarod.

The Pretender
December 31st, 2007, 22:51
I hope that the TT/RS can capture some of that sound...
It will not IMHO.
The Ur-Quattro's have longitudinal engine lay out with a lot of room on both side's of the engine for good breathing.
And like you can see on the picture, room for a big turbo and waste gate and a big intake manifold.
Also the perfect layout for a flowing exhaust system.
This are the things responsible for the famous Ur-Quattro sound.
By the TT/RS it will be a transverse layout with cramped-up room for turbo exhaust and intake manifold.

Jarod.

AuditudeA642
January 1st, 2008, 02:40
You are beyond help.

jaspers5
January 1st, 2008, 11:15
:noshake: the most ridiculous thread ive read.

Rage
January 2nd, 2008, 01:38
I'd like a quad turbo 4 cylinder turbine engine to power the RS5.

But i guess ill have to settle for the V8TT/V10NA.

PeterJohn
January 2nd, 2008, 11:55
You will get points for originality, historical reference, and effort (if you pull it off), but you negelect the awesome turbo lag of the engine. When they used to race these engines, that had their foot on the gas constantly, even during braking (left foot braking), because if you lost boost, the car would go nowhere. They also needed to double shift it (tap the throttle during in between gears) for the same reason.
Staying in the powerband during racing is hard, but it's even harder in traffic. Because you'll have to drive a certain speed, and you might not find a gear that keeps you in the powerband.

It wouldn't surprize me that the L5 Turbo, whose design can be traced back to an industrial pump, is heavier than the V8. As well as longer. So a great amount of chassis modification and re-tuning will be in order.

tvrfan
January 2nd, 2008, 13:23
I would be very pissed if the new RS5 and RS4 wont be TT. maybe then its time to change over to BMW. they would bring out then more TT engines then audi. and i cant life without TTīs.

HKS786
January 2nd, 2008, 17:58
I would be very pissed if the new RS5 and RS4 wont be TT. maybe then its time to change over to BMW. they would bring out then more TT engines then audi. and i cant life without TTīs.

Bro to be honest I think you shouldnt worry so much. Look at Audi in recent years. The R8, new RS6 etc. There's NO way Audi will put out 2nd best RS models ;) Even the new RS6 was compared to the M5 during testing...

Leadfoot
January 2nd, 2008, 18:02
Some people will love what Audi produce while others will hate it, that is the nature of the beast, you just can't please everyone.

Future RS models will be ever bit as capable as any other only their approach will be different.

The Pretender
January 2nd, 2008, 20:12
A turn key installated 650 hp 780 Nm inline 5 cylinder engine will cost ą 100.000,- Euro's.
The car will be very fast but it's not worth the effort IMHO.
A S5 + 100.000,- Euro is R8 money.

Jarod.