PDA

View Full Version : Lexus LF-A Nurburgring lap: 7min24s unofficially

Z07
December 28th, 2007, 15:30
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/214086/lexus_lfa.html

The king is dead, long live the king! Lexus’ long-awaited LF-A has unofficially smashed the lap record at Germany’s Nürburgring, with a time of seven minutes, 24 seconds. That beats Porsche’s new GT2 by a second and makes the Lexus the King of the ’Ring. Company insiders have revealed that a 4.8-litre V10 – co-developed with Yamaha – powered the record-breaking test mule. It revs to 9,000rpm and pumps out 552bhp. Combined with a highly aerodynamic body, it should enable the LF-A to hit 210mph.

Benman
December 28th, 2007, 16:00
That is incredible...

But...

I DOUBT the actual production version will touch the new GT-R.

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
December 28th, 2007, 17:15
It does seem that Japan is the capitol of the SUPERCAR and not Italy. Or should I say the Japanese are building the supercars which are performing the best on tracks compared to the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini, in fact the only Italian brand which is pumping out the figures on the ring is Pagani.

RXBG
December 28th, 2007, 17:49
That is incredible...

But...

that's sounds right. instead it looks like it's going to obliterate it :hihi:

Z07
December 28th, 2007, 18:14
That is incredible...

But...

No, I believe the production version will be at least this fast but it is in a higher price category. You pay your money, you get what you pay for. Whether the R35 V-Spec will even the score remains to be seen.

RXBG
December 28th, 2007, 18:32
the lf-a has been rumored to cost 170K as a halo car for the lexus brand. it'll be fully loaded- think ceramic brakes, alcantara, carbon fiber trim, even massage seats.

if the V10 R8 starts at about 130K US (and if the upcoming CF options prices get nailed by the exchange rate) a fully loaded example will cost about as much as the lexus.

i think the lexus will give up on torque over the V10 R8, but perhaps rev higher.

the biggest thing is transmission. japan is going all out. if the lexus gets a DSG it will definitely be faster than the V10 R8.

but in the end. you're guiding the GTR and the LF-A. you're driving the R8.

Z07
December 28th, 2007, 18:51
the lf-a has been rumored to cost 170K as a halo car for the lexus brand. it'll be fully loaded- think ceramic brakes, alcantara, carbon fiber trim, even massage seats.

if the V10 R8 starts at about 130K US (and if the upcoming CF options prices get nailed by the exchange rate) a fully loaded example will cost about as much as the lexus.

i think the lexus will give up on torque over the V10 R8, but perhaps rev higher.

the biggest thing is transmission. japan is going all out. if the lexus gets a DSG it will definitely be faster than the V10 R8.

but in the end. you're guiding the GTR and the LF-A. you're driving the R8.

I prefer using the force.;) But I get your point and Top Gear share your thoughts on that one.

The LF-A and R8 V10 are certainly going to upset the supercar applecart.

RXBG
December 28th, 2007, 19:14
I prefer using the force.;) But I get your point and Top Gear share your thoughts on that one.

this is where credit is due the americans. sure, they are overall cheap bodies on monster engines, (yes, i admit you guys are right when you rag at them), but they DO give you an honest to God proper transmission. a manual. witness the latest shelby, ZR-1, and viper.........

g-darn it if i INSIST on rowing my gears baby. and i will till the day they take my license away because i am an old fart with diapers and dentures that can't drive........

may the day never come when a guy gets in a car and does this :stick:

Leadfoot
December 28th, 2007, 19:27

I think that is the biggest understatement of the year. The Lexus already is besting everything in sight, though admittedly it is only a test mule in the hands of their own test driver but all the same it time is truly amazing. As for the R8v10, well we already know how quick the basic car is around tracks like the Bedford Autodome and Hockenheim and many experienced people believe it's only the R8v8's outright performance that is holding back it's current time on the ring, if it does get the 520hp I believe then it should be able to post times closer to that of the GTR.

artur777
December 28th, 2007, 19:37
I think that is the biggest understatement of the year. The Lexus already is besting everything in sight, though admittedly it is only a test mule in the hands of their own test driver but all the same it time is truly amazing. As for the R8v10, well we already know how quick the basic car is around tracks like the Bedford Autodome and Hockenheim and many experienced people believe it's only the R8v8's outright performance that is holding back it's current time on the ring, if it does get the 520hp I believe then it should be able to post times closer to that of the GTR.

Let's see.
I think, thay R8 V10 will be faster than Gallardo at the Ring and will post 8-40 time.

RXBG
December 28th, 2007, 19:47
and i predict that the inevitable clubsport R8 will, with the shedding of all the lux items and assoc weight, nail it in 7:25.

just for fun

Z07
December 28th, 2007, 19:53
Let's see.
I think, thay R8 V10 will be faster than Gallardo at the Ring and will post 8-40 time.
I hope you mean 7-40. An 8-40 would be a big disappointment for all concerned.;)

RXBG
December 28th, 2007, 20:04
booyah.

yes. 7. my bad.

lol

Benman
December 28th, 2007, 20:21
No, I believe the production version will be at least this fast but it is in a higher price category.

I am not so sure, that is an absolutely incredible time and I'd be hard pressed to see Lexus put out a car that could achieve those numbers. But then, anything is possible...

Z07
December 28th, 2007, 20:29
I am not so sure, that is an absolutely incredible time and I'd be hard pressed to see Lexus put out a car that could achieve those numbers. But then, anything is possible...

Maybe but why would they waste time developing and testing a non-production spec car? Ring time is at a premium. 7m24s is entirely plausible for a production spec car. The Zonda F CS was heading for a 7m20s lap after its record lap but the engine started suffering from fuel starvation and it was aborted over 6 minutes in.

Z07
December 28th, 2007, 20:30
booyah.

yes. 7. my bad.

lol

It wasn't your bad.:jlol:

Benman
December 28th, 2007, 20:46
Maybe but why would they waste time developing and testing a non-production spec car? Ring time is at a premium. 7m24s is entirely plausible for a production spec car. The Zonda F CS was heading for a 7m20s lap after its record lap but the engine started suffering from fuel starvation and it was aborted over 6 minutes in.

I get you, completely. I would just be shocked that Lexus goes from never having a car made that could even crack the 8 minute barrier to smashing the 7:30 mark. That would just be too unbelievable for me at this point...

Z07
December 28th, 2007, 20:55
I get you, completely. I would just be shocked that Lexus goes from never having a car made that could even crack the 8 minute barrier to smashing the 7:30 mark. That would just be too unbelievable for me at this point...

They've never really tried to before but let's not forget that a Blitz modified street-legal supra went round the 'ring in 7m21s many many moons ago and since then Toyota have had a lot of experience and technology gain both through GT1-class Le Mans and F1. Not to mention that Toyota are pretty much killing every auto manufacturer out there at the moment in terms of sales and profit. Lot's of money to invest there.

Benman
December 28th, 2007, 20:58
Lot's of money to invest there. Can't aurgue there. But with all their money, they still have yet to do well in F1. And for all the money they sunk in Le Mans, they never won...

RXBG
December 28th, 2007, 21:24
what i find basically sad is that these auto makers are going all "two pedaled" on us. don't get me wrong. DSG is fabulous. drove a mk2 tt with it and loved it.... for around town use. or for my wife or my parents.

but when it comes to sports cars, the future will drive the truth... i think that the reason automakers put these boxes in is because they are selling points- not driving points. it would be beautiful if ferrari at least offered a stick with its enzo replacement. and i bet the GTR would be so much more fun if it had a manual (which it will undoubtedly offer soon). i'd say add tech to safety things, but not to those that take the driving out of the driver. let the driver DRIVE.

back in the midst of the cold war space race, gus grissom, john glenn, and alan shepard insisted on the engineers placing maneuvering controls in the space capsules because they weren't meant for monkeys, but for men.

W T F ? :brag:

Leadfoot
December 28th, 2007, 21:51
RXBG,

I am with you on the joys of a stick over paddles but to be honest with you I reckon we have Ferrari to thank for their popularity, I believe they were the first to introduce them and to be fair to Ferrari their customers clearly wanted them because their take up is over 95%. It that belief that they are driving a F1 car instead of a road car.

They have their benefits, especially on the track but on the road I feel a manual bring more enjoyment.

Z07
December 28th, 2007, 22:19
Can't aurgue there. But with all their money, they still have yet to do well in F1. And for all the money they sunk in Le Mans, they never won...

Very true. I guess money can't buy everything. Given the extremely short time they've been in F1, winning would be asking a lot. They are still at a great experience/development deficit relative to other competitors like McLaren and Ferrari, but with time who knows.

Z07
December 28th, 2007, 22:23
what i find basically sad is that these auto makers are going all "two pedaled" on us. don't get me wrong. DSG is fabulous. drove a mk2 tt with it and loved it.... for around town use. or for my wife or my parents.

but when it comes to sports cars, the future will drive the truth... i think that the reason automakers put these boxes in is because they are selling points- not driving points. it would be beautiful if ferrari at least offered a stick with its enzo replacement. and i bet the GTR would be so much more fun if it had a manual (which it will undoubtedly offer soon). i'd say add tech to safety things, but not to those that take the driving out of the driver. let the driver DRIVE.

back in the midst of the cold war space race, gus grissom, john glenn, and alan shepard insisted on the engineers placing maneuvering controls in the space capsules because they weren't meant for monkeys, but for men.

W T F ? :brag:
Unfortunately they're undeniably faster and the automatic blip on downchange must make them much easier to drive fast, especially for non-professionals. The only real hassle for road use is the inability to skip gears and the related clutch wear.

Damienr8
December 28th, 2007, 22:30
Leadie, Ben, RXBG.

I think the flappie paddle box (in all forms) is a step up in technology and adds to both the drivability and performance of the car. The price factor does come into play but then again, what new technology does not command a premium?

Now, whether or not that drivability and performance is rewarding (as a result of the auto manual), is determined by the driver. Some drivers may prefer the amazing sensation of flicking a lever through a gate and some might enjoy the alacrity of the gearshifts when upshifting with both hands on the wheel. To each his own.

I am personally torn between the benefits of the 2.

Leadfoot
December 28th, 2007, 22:34
The only real hassle for road use is the inability to skip gears and the related clutch wear.

The DSG is surprising good at dropping more than one gear at a time and as for clutch wear, now that does surprise me as unlike a human it never ever misses a gear. Now who here can hold their hand up and say that hasn't happened to them more than once.

Z07
December 28th, 2007, 23:44
The DSG is surprising good at dropping more than one gear at a time and as for clutch wear, now that does surprise me as unlike a human it never ever misses a gear. Now who here can hold their hand up and say that hasn't happened to them more than once.
I honestly didn't know that. I thought all these paddle-shifters were sequential. Does it go by how long you hold the paddle down?

Leadfoot
December 28th, 2007, 23:56
I honestly didn't know that. I thought all these paddle-shifters were sequential. Does it go by how long you hold the paddle down?

I don't think so, I remember having one out on test and it changed gear as quick as you flicked the paddle, flick it 3 times and it dropped 3 gears quicker than you could move your hand from fifth gear to second on a normal box, also in sport mode if you were travelling at say 40mph in top and then floored it, the gearbox would drop 3 gears in an instance. It is pretty amazing and much better than any normal semi-manual like in the R8, Gallardo or used by Ferrari.

chewym
December 29th, 2007, 03:39
It's a mule, time doesn't matter. Not production. When it comes out, then we will see how it will do. So far the specs don't show anything that would set such an amazing time.

Z07
December 29th, 2007, 10:22
I don't think so, I remember having one out on test and it changed gear as quick as you flicked the paddle, flick it 3 times and it dropped 3 gears quicker than you could move your hand from fifth gear to second on a normal box, also in sport mode if you were travelling at say 40mph in top and then floored it, the gearbox would drop 3 gears in an instance. It is pretty amazing and much better than any normal semi-manual like in the R8, Gallardo or used by Ferrari.
So when you're in 6th and you flick it down 3 times, does it engage each gear on the way down or just skip across to 3rd, or is it hard to tell?

Leadfoot
December 29th, 2007, 18:25
So when you're in 6th and you flick it down 3 times, does it engage each gear on the way down or just skip across to 3rd, or is it hard to tell?

I imagine so, I did ask the mechanics who happened to be working on my S4 at the time and according to them the shift is done so quick that you the driver don't notice each of the gears engaging. Whether that is true I don't know, it does sound a nice story all the same.

Z07
December 29th, 2007, 19:54
I imagine so, I did ask the mechanics who happened to be working on my S4 at the time and according to them the shift is done so quick that you the driver don't notice each of the gears engaging. Whether that is true I don't know, it does sound a nice story all the same.
Unfortunately that still means that the extra wear is being experienced by the gearbox through the extra engagements, but if the gearbox is up to the task it's not a big problem.

Leadfoot
December 29th, 2007, 20:26
Unfortunately that still means that the extra wear is being experienced by the gearbox through the extra engagements, but if the gearbox is up to the task it's not a big problem.

Well then I come back to my original answer to your question on wear

as for clutch wear, now that does surprise me as unlike a human it never ever misses a gear. Now who here can hold their hand up and say that hasn't happened to them more than once

Come on mate admit it, you like the rest of us have done this more than once, especially in the heat of a race when speed is at it's utmost.

Z07
December 30th, 2007, 17:31
Come on mate admit it, you like the rest of us have done this more than once, especially in the heat of a race when speed is at it's utmost.
No! Never! Well once or thrice maybe.:hihi:

That wasn't my point on wear though. To drop from 6th to 3rd with a manual takes one change. With a DSG it takes 3, albeit very fast.

Leadfoot
December 30th, 2007, 18:44
Yeah 3 changes all performed with the nicest of blip on each one.

P.S. This meant sound like I am all on for a DSG but I am not so sure, my experience is very limited and though I fall in love with that magical though brief introduction to the system I wonder if I would still be singing it's praises after 12 months of ownership.

Z07
December 30th, 2007, 19:45
Yeah 3 changes all performed with the nicest of blip on each one.

P.S. This meant sound like I am all on for a DSG but I am not so sure, my experience is very limited and though I fall in love with that magical though brief introduction to the system I wonder if I would still be singing it's praises after 12 months of ownership.
I'm sure you would. Far faster than manual shifting.