PDA

View Full Version : Platform question -- looking to buy

Greco101
December 26th, 2007, 17:39
Alright, bare with me guys, I'm a new audi fan so my knowledge about them isn't too in depth.

I'm looking to buy a '05ish S4. I'd like to go with the 4.2 and throw a procharger in it soon after. I'm curious how the 4.2 would hold up with low boost (6-9lbs). Any idea how it'd go performance wise?

I was also thinking about the biturbo 6's but being already turbo'd and only making 250hp doesn't exactly scream "BUY ME!" considering some N/A 6's are running in the 280-340 range. Because of this, it makes me feel like it would take way too much $ to get it in my ideal hp range of around 400-500 unless I half assed it and just crammed a bunch of boost down its throat and have it last a year, which I do not want to do.

Are there any warnings that may help me out to know ahead of time? Any notorious problems with certain years, weak spots that will need improving with the higher hp (400-450-500).

Also, I noticed some S4's have a large mouth grill and others do not, even from the same year. I'd like to throw a RS4 grill on my S4 when I get it but I'm not 100% sure if it's compatible?

How do 19's fit under an S4 with some semi-meaty, but still low profile tires? I will also be looking into lowering springs for a meaner stance.

Sorry for all the questions guys but I really appreciate the help.

EDIT:: Also, can anyone suggest a good online shop for aftermarket audi upgrades? Body kits, hoods, lights, and the rest of the toys.

Greco101
December 26th, 2007, 21:39
wont let me edit again for some reason but I have another question so sorry about the double post...

What is it on the RS4's v8 that gives it that extra 80hp?? Same 4.2 block correct? Would it be worthwhile to buy the parts and throw them on the S4 or could you get even better parts for the price of OEM (since they like to charge an arm and a leg for stock replacement parts...)

Greco101
December 27th, 2007, 18:17
wow, these are some slow forums. I hope I didn't stumble across a groupie forum instead of actual Audi owners...

:vhmmm:

MrBucket
December 27th, 2007, 20:15
It is much easier and cheaper to get 500hp out of the 2.7t than it is to get it out of one of the v8 engines.

Look at some RS6 hybrid K04 turbos on a 2.7t and you should be seeing 500hp about.

Greco101
December 27th, 2007, 20:39
I'd like to stay away from turbos mainly because of the cool offs and such... Plus I've only owned N/A cars, my latest being an 06 GTO.

What kinda maintenance do they require? What's are their typical life spans? How much boost can you safely run on a stock 2.7?

I've looked into rooted superchargers and honestly, to me, the wine clashes with tuners. Then I remembered about the Prochargers which from what I've read seem to be fairly maintenance free and pack more of a punch than the rooted without so much charger wine.

Turbos obviously sound the sexiest but I'm somewhat shy of them.

AndyBG
December 28th, 2007, 01:33
I think that if you want to go into ''tuning'' of your Audi, B5 S4 (2.7l V6 bi turbo) is much more ''tuning-friendly'', or just buy RS 6 and solve all problems in one hit. :D

MTM is offering supercharger kit for B6/B7 S4, it is GREAT piece of equipment !

Greco101
December 28th, 2007, 01:54
I think that if you want to go into ''tuning'' of your Audi, B5 S4 (2.7l V6 bi turbo) is much more ''tuning-friendly'', or just buy RS 6 and solve all problems in one hit. :D

MTM is offering supercharger kit for B6/B7 S4, it is GREAT piece of equipment !

Haha, there are 2 RS6's for sale within 100 miles. 1 is red, the other gray. I hate red and the gray one is $55,000 dollars for a 2003 lol.

What do you mean by the 2.7 is more tuner friendly?

Also, can someone explain to me the B5-B8 I've been seeing everywhere. Are these year groups or...?

EDIT:: Any idea how much the MTM kit would cost in USD? Do you have to tap into the oil?

AuditudeA642
December 28th, 2007, 02:10
From 2004-2008 the S4 has been offered with a 340 V8 and its a great car but you will not be able to supercharge it. Many tuners have tried and failed so i doubt slapping a pro charger on it is the answer, there is alot more work than that. In regards to the RS4 having 80 extra hp has nothing to do with the S4. The only thing that the S4 and RS4 engine have in common is displacement, NOTHING ELSE!! You may think the 250hp S4 is rather lowly but that car is very Tuner Friendly. There are many tuners such as www.awetuning.com, www.goapr.com and www.mtm-online.de that offer Stage III+ kits for the S4. Typically with 10k you can get an S4 (Biturbo Version) up to 550HP and will do 1/4 mile in low 11's. That includes tranny work, intercoolers, suspension, brakes, and everything to make the car solid. Like you may know the chain is only as strong as its weakest link so if you are building a 550HP Beast suspension and brakes do matter. The RS6 can be had for mid-high 30's do not limit yourself to your area, do a US search for the car and find the one you want. The RS6 can have 550hp with a simple Chip/Exhaust and will walk most supercars for a fraction of the price. The weak link of the RS6 is the tranny. Good Luck Finding a Car. My order of preference would be:

1) 2003 RS6 Chip/Exhaust 550HP
2) 2002 S4 Stage III+ 550HP
3)2004-2005 S4 Exhaust/Intake/Chip 380HP
4) 2007 RS4 (If you can afford this car its #1 on the list)

Good Luck finding a car, Audi's are great and are not all about performance either you can actually drive it in the winter or in the rain without be afraid of sliding of the road like a BMW or Mercedes:)

AuditudeA642
December 28th, 2007, 02:15
BTW

B5 2000-2002 S4 with a 2.7 Twin Turbo V6
B6 2004-2005 S4 with a 4.2 N/A V8
B7 2005.5-2008 S4 with a 4.2 N/A V8
B8 2010-XXXX Not yet released 3.0 Twin Turbo V6

The B stands for the platform. The RS6 is a C5 which is another platform offered by Audi.

AuditudeA642
December 28th, 2007, 02:17
S4 MTM Supercharger kit is not worth it, its like 20k or some stupid number like that. PES Tuning has a supercharger out for like 7500 and they said it should be available soon. www.pes-tuning.com

Greco101
December 28th, 2007, 02:44
WOW! 20k for a bolt on?!

What is it stopping the 4.2 from being supercharged?

I'd absolutly LOVE an RS4 but since they just came out, there's no way in hell I can afford one. I'm already sweating a used '04-'06 S4 ( I MUUUST have that open mouth grill like on yours). :O(

Thank you very much for the helpful information. Any chance you could edit your top choice list for a budget of $40,000?

Money for more mods will come later of course like any money pit, but 40,000 is about the max I will be able to spend up front.

EDIT:: I was also looking into a Benz C55 AMG.

I'm also open to other suggestions... I'd just really like a nice luxury/sports car that not too many people have yet I can still afford. Cars are beyond an obsession for me so feel free to throw anything at me. :o) Thanks again man!

AndyBG
December 28th, 2007, 16:13
EDIT:: I was also looking into a Benz C55 AMG.

B6/B7 S4 is much better, IMHO.