PDA

View Full Version : Golf, 7 speed DSG

AndyBG
December 21st, 2007, 16:33
I've just read on the auto-motor-und-sport.de that VW is ''upgrade'' Golfs DSG from six to seven speeds...

...all we need now is 7 speed S-tronic in RS 6... :revs:

ZeroCool
December 22nd, 2007, 01:37
The Golf has another platform then the RS6...the engine from the RS6 is longitudinal and the engine from Golf is Transverse...

So if the Golf gets a 7 Speed DSG that don't means, that it'll also fit in the RS6 ...

Z07
December 22nd, 2007, 14:33
At what point does more gears mean worse and not better performance?

JavierNuvolari
December 22nd, 2007, 16:25

wondering the same thing here

AndyBG
December 22nd, 2007, 16:44
The Golf has another platform then the RS6...the engine from the RS6 is longitudinal and the engine from Golf is Transverse...

So if the Golf gets a 7 Speed DSG that don't means, that it'll also fit in the RS6 ...

I know that, of course, I just wanted to make a little joke... :hihi:

Leadfoot
December 22nd, 2007, 19:27

That's easy to answer. When the acceleration is slower. :hihi:

As for this gearbox having 7 gears instead of 6, I think you have to keep in mind that we are discussing a DSG box and not a manual so gear changing are do at break neck speed (20ms or there abouts) so while it may be using another gear to get to say 100mph you aren't losing anything in the change itself.

Z07
December 22nd, 2007, 19:47
That's easy to answer. When the acceleration is slower. :hihi:

As for this gearbox having 7 gears instead of 6, I think you have to keep in mind that we are discussing a DSG box and not a manual so gear changing are do at break neck speed (20ms or there abouts) so while it may be using another gear to get to say 100mph you aren't losing anything in the change itself.
I'd keep the gearing near the same as for the 6sp for 1st-3rd and pack 4th-7th more tightly, but it'd still do 100mph in 4th. It's at the higher speeds when the drag has increased that you want to keep the engine around peak power.

20ms? The Scuderia box only manages it in 60ms. Is this the time from full acceleration to full acceleration, or just the time for the shift itself?

PeterJohn
December 23rd, 2007, 13:08
I think the fact that there is no mechanical gear linkage, and hydrolic clutch linkage to the cockpit, creates more packaging options. It weighs less than the 6speed DSG, has dry clutches, and saves O,7 l/100km.

Interesting move by VW. Having more gears (and faster shifts) is like having more horsepower. And since this horsepower is "free", it also increases fuel effeciency.
It's strange that VAG insists on putting the most evolved technology, in the less expensive cars. You'd think expensive gadgetery is more appropriate on the expensive models. Perhaps it's an economy of scale thing. Dutch importer says it's a €3k option (big car taxes in Holland, though), which is a bundle for a hatchback.

You can get a TT with a weight balancing steel-aluminium hybrid chassis, DSG gearbox, Magnetic ride suspension,... When it's the A5 that is supposed to be Audis' über-coup. Do not comprehend.

Leadfoot
December 23rd, 2007, 15:35
PeterJohn,

I think everyone believes the TT Mk2 is just a repackaged A3 but that isn't the case, even the wheelbase is different on the TT. Audi sees the TT as a competitor to the Cayman and Z4 Coupe or in other words a true sportscar unlike the A5 which is based on the this new MLP chassis which is to suit a wide range of models and in any case the A5 is more a grand tourer than a true sportscar though I know this will not be the case with the RS5 which will be the real deal.

As for DSG 7speed, this will be making it's way into more and more models. The first to receive it will be I believe the Q5 and then shortly afterwards the A4/5 and then the new A6/7/8. I believe the TT/RS will also receive a DSG 7speed for it's launch in 2009.

AndyBG
December 23rd, 2007, 16:26
I think that there isn't any reason for TT-S not to recieve 7 speed S-tronic (DSG)