PDA

View Full Version : Audi in Detroit...

The RS6
December 21st, 2007, 07:35
What do you think will be shown?

Check out this article:

Audi to debut one concept and one production car in Detroit

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/photo_rendering_audi_tt_s_csd_main.jpg

In a short press release today, Audi announced that it will be using the 2008 NAIAS in Detroit to debut one production car and one concept car. Rumors already began back in late November that Audi will be revealing the Audi TT-S along with a concept Audi R8 Convertible. Guess we’ll have to wait and see if it’s true.

In the mean time we do know the official specs on the TT-S. According to the leaked 2008 internal product launch document that hit the web earlier this week, we can now confirm that the Audi TT-S will be powered by a 2.0 TFSI engine that produces a total of 269 horsepower.

Make sure you join us starting January 13th for live coverage from the 2008 NAIAS in Detroit.

Press Release:

2008 Detroit Auto Show - information for TV stations Audi press conference to feature world premier - Sunday, January 13, 2:20 p.m. - Worldwide satellite broadcast of the model presentations

Visitors will be treated to both a world first and a stunning concept car at the Audi press conference for the 2008 North American International Auto Show. Rupert Stadler, Chairman of the Board of Management of AUDI AG, will present the latest innovations at the Audi Press Conference, Sunday, January 13, 2008, at 02:20 p.m., on the Audi stand in the COBO Center in Detroit, Wayne Hall.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2007/12/20/audi-to-debut-one-concept-and-one-production-car-in-detroit/

RXBG
December 21st, 2007, 13:48
jan 13th can't come quickly enough!

i still don't know what audi is thinking with the 3.2 V6 now that it is going to have 2.0T engines within 30 hp of it. but that is a dead horse that has been beat multiple times....

Leadfoot
December 21st, 2007, 14:45
jan 13th can't come quickly enough!

i still don't know what audi is thinking with the 3.2 V6 now that it is going to have 2.0T engines within 30 hp of it. but that is a dead horse that has been beat multiple times....

I couldn't disagree with that opinion more, I think a dead duck would have been to have fitted the V6 with an extra the same power as this 2.0TT/S.

If that had been the case then we would have a v6TT/S which it's only real benefit over the regular TTv6 would have been more power, instead we are getting one which will be more pointy, have better balance and easily tuned to produce as much as 310hp with no other adjustments other than a chip up-grade. A less appealing engine note being the only down side among all of these plus points is surely the right way for Audi to have went.

Think about it, even the future TT/RS will not be using a v6 but a much smaller 5 cylinder unit, clearly the future to better driver's cars is a lighter front-end, something that QuattroGmbH also believe.

AndyBG
December 21st, 2007, 15:37
TT 3.2 quattro will stay at offer, before all, becouse of US market, its way more ''proper'' for them then ''small'' and ''regular'' 2.0 T...

I'm not conserd about 3.2s future...

PeterJohn
December 23rd, 2007, 12:40
I think it's strange that non of the guesses include the RS6 sedan, which will come into life just to please the US market.
If you read the RS6 Avant press release between the lines, a US sedan is almost certain. It was probably the first press release I've read that focussed attention on which markets won't be getting the product. Taking care to refer to it as the RS6 Avant, and not just RS6.

http://ebay.windingroad.com/newsuploads/2007/06/audi-rs6-kgp-lead.jpg

AU-297
December 23rd, 2007, 16:16
I think it's strange that non of the guesses include the RS6 sedan, which will come into life just to please the US market.
If you read the RS6 Avant press release between the lines, a US sedan is almost certain. It was probably the first press release I've read that focussed attention on which markets won't be getting the product. Taking care to refer to it as the RS6 Avant, and not just RS6.

http://ebay.windingroad.com/newsuploads/2007/06/audi-rs6-kgp-lead.jpg

I hope it's not the RS6 sedan... the last RS6 sold here in the states didn't do too well. The RS6 is a special niche market that is tiny! The RS4 sells better with the lower price. We'll see... I personally think it will be the Q5 debut... LOL... chance are it's only the A3 Sportback facelift... talk about disappointment!:vgrumpy:
Fact is that no one know what it is... here is a list of possibilities:
-TT-S
-Q5
-RS6 Sedan
-S4
-A3 Facelift
-R10
-R8 Spyder <- highly unlikely... unless concept!
-A4 Avant <- highly unlikely

w00d00
December 23rd, 2007, 16:23
I hope it's not the RS6 sedan... the last RS6 sold here in the states didn't do too well. The RS6 is a special niche market that is tiny! The RS4 sells better with the lower price. We'll see... I personally think it will be the Q5 debut... LOL... chance are it's only the A3 Sportback facelift... talk about disappointment!:vgrumpy:
Fact is that no one know what it is... here is a list of possibilities:
-TT-S
-Q5
-RS6 Sedan
-S4
-A3 Facelift
-R10
-R8 Spyder <- highly unlikely... unless concept!
-A4 Avant <- highly unlikely
I hope it will be B8 :s4Addict:

Audiphile
December 23rd, 2007, 18:55
Don't you all think that it may be the new A4 sedan? It is the singulair most important product for Audi period!

tvrfan
December 23rd, 2007, 23:09
i think it will be A4 avant !

ähm guys can you answer me a few questions please?

what do you think will the B8 S4 have Torque Vectoring??? and would it be fitted in the newer S5 models or just be avaible as a option to order????

itisme
December 24th, 2007, 00:21
i think it will be A4 avant !

[/B]

Surely not! The A4 Avant makes a lot more sense to present in Geneva two month later. The market for an Avant is in Europe and not in the US.. would be silly to show it over there first. My supposition is either the RS6 saloon or the final version of the Q5. The Americans slowly tend to smaller SUV's since there is an oil price increase in America, too. And they somehow start thinking more about environmental pollution... (at least it is what we are told here in europe, e.g. sales increase for the BMW X3 in the US)

tvrfan
December 24th, 2007, 00:35
no, no RS6 limo, because it will be just shown after A6 facelift. thats fact. i dont think we will see a RS6 limo concept or something.

but back, can you anser me this please:

what do you think will the B8 S4 have Torque Vectoring??? and would it be fitted in the newer S5 models or just be avaible as a option to order????

Leadfoot
December 24th, 2007, 00:38
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Q5 in final trim there, like itisme said the US are currently favouring small SUVs more than larger ones and it is the largest market for this cars. Plus the launch is meant to be set for middle of 2008, maybe the US will get it first, who knows. ;)

Leadfoot
December 24th, 2007, 00:42

As of yet the 'torque-vectoring diff' isn't being shown in any of Audi's buff either in the UK or Europe but we do know it is coming soon, my bet is if it isn't being listed as of yet it will be introduced as an option on the normal A4 and A5 but maybe offered as standard on the S4 and S5 when that time come.

I believe it is to be included on the Q5.

tvrfan
December 24th, 2007, 10:19
so included to the newer S5 and B8 S4 too ^^. i hope.

Rage
December 24th, 2007, 20:08
What can we expect Torque vectoring diff. to deliver??

As in how is it more advanced over ESP/traction control etc?

Leadfoot
December 26th, 2007, 17:47
What can we expect Torque vectoring diff. to deliver??

As in how is it more advanced over ESP/traction control etc?

Well electronic LSD systems use the brakes to control the rear wheels, so some of the power is being wasted in a way which is unlike a proper LSD which shifts to whole power between the axle.

RXBG
December 26th, 2007, 18:33
i put my balls on this one-

V10 R8 spyder concept and TTS in detroit.

RS6 sedan, S4, and A6 facelift in geneva

Q5 in new york

V10 R8 coupe in paris

Leadfoot
December 26th, 2007, 20:08

Q5 in new york

V10 R8 coupe in paris

I when are you to start signing Falsetto.:D

Only kidding.

Damienr8
December 26th, 2007, 21:23

Q5 in new york

V10 R8 coupe in paris

LOL Better hold them very close to you lol :jlol: . I don't think we are going to see the V10 R8 Spyder (I hope I am wrong, :hahahehe: ). I do think we will see the TTS and the Q5. I feel that the the Q5 "small suv" will be a hit in the NA market and having it's official introduction in Detriot is a good idea for Audi. We will see very soon!

Qisha
January 1st, 2008, 12:41
Dear Friends,

you can expect something totally different in Detroit. Something that has never been done before. Truly "Vorsprung durch Technik". :D

Qisha

tvrfan
January 1st, 2008, 12:58
Audi A7 with RWD :jlol:

ZeroCool
January 1st, 2008, 13:27
No, i think it'll be the R8 V12 TDI :D
That's something that's never done before :)

AndyBG
January 1st, 2008, 14:42
R8 with nuclear power and stealth tech' so radars can't see you... :hihi:

Just kidding, HAPPY NEW YEAR !!! :cheers:

tvrfan
January 1st, 2008, 15:14
i dont know but i dont believe it will be something special, and when it will be, it would be a concept that will never go in series.

ZeroCool
January 1st, 2008, 15:48
@tvrfan...

i don't know but i have the feeling, that it will be the V12 TDI in the R8 :D
Because Qisha said that this has never been done before, so the only logical thing is the V12 TDI ...

R8 Targa - nothing new
Q5 - nothing new
S5 - nothing new
A7 - nothing new
TT-S/RS - nothing new
Q7 Cabrio - nothing new

So i'm really sure, that it'll be this...but let's wait for the Motor Show ;)

artur777
January 1st, 2008, 16:00
Dear Friends,

you can expect something totally different in Detroit. Something that has never been done before. Truly "Vorsprung durch Technik". :D

Qisha

R8 v10 finally arrives? :R8:

Leadfoot
January 1st, 2008, 16:26
i don't know but i have the feeling, that it will be the V12 TDI in the R8 :D

Now that is an interesting idea............I wondered will it come true. ;)

tvrfan
January 1st, 2008, 16:57
NO WAY ! ! ! no V12 TDI in the R8. audi has demented that 10000 x times. its to heavy and not enough room for coolers usw. Believe me ;-). R8 V10 is also nothing special. it must be a concept. that will never be go in series. yeah audi could put the V12TDI in the R8 but that thing would never find a way in series :jlol:

my 0.02 cents.

tvrfan
January 1st, 2008, 17:03
aaah what about the rumoured R10 (supercar above R8) ??? with all high tech materials and high tech technic audi got. (torque vectoring..................) :jlol:

ZeroCool
January 1st, 2008, 17:17
just because they demented it, you couldn't say, that they won't bring it. If they tell everything what they're planning to do, it won't be interesting :)

So, i'm looking forward to Detroit :)

roadrunner
January 1st, 2008, 21:59
No, i think it'll be the R8 V12 TDI :D
That's something that's never done before :)

I just found some more info in a german forum (http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/r-8-v12-tdi-weltpremiere-auf-detroit-motor-show-2008-t1661091.html ) , which seems to confirm this:

R8 V12 TDI 500 HP to be shown in Detroit. It is ment to spearhead Audi's Diesel initiative in the US, alongside with the Q7 V12 TDI.

Seems very plausible to me, and it is not ment instead of the R8 V10.

ZeroCool
January 1st, 2008, 22:13
@roadrunner...

Thx for this link ;)
Very interesting...

We'll see...just some days to go :)

Leadfoot
January 1st, 2008, 22:23
I am wondering whether this R8 v12TDi will use a manual, e-gear or an autobox? It would be interesting to know if the current gearboxes in the R8 can cope with the 1000Nm of torque this engine is capable of.

ZeroCool
January 1st, 2008, 22:25
That's an interesting point...maybe they'll put the 7-speed DSG from the Bugatti...i don't know how much torque it can handle?!

Leadfoot
January 1st, 2008, 22:33
That's an interesting point...maybe they'll put the 7-speed DSG from the Bugatti...i don't know how much torque it can handle?!

Way more than 1000Nm (remember that Bugatti produces over 1250Nm), but as the gearbox costs more than the R8 itself I doubt that is an option to them.

tvrfan
January 1st, 2008, 22:54
if thats true and a R8 V12 TDI will go in series. that car will put balls against some lambos and porsches :jlol:

Not sure about the weight i think close to 1700kg+. that would be very heavy for a sportscar. but performance would be incredible as well.

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 07:42
I am wondering whether this R8 v12TDi will use a manual, e-gear or an autobox? It would be interesting to know if the current gearboxes in the R8 can cope with the 1000Nm of torque this engine is capable of.

According to my info(guy from Audi Austria) R8 V12 TDI will be(IF they show it!) shown as a study. Not a production model. Tiptronic auto gearbox(new one with 8speed that will be in new A8 as well). Problem? Gearboc weights over 120kg(gearbox in current R8 and in forthcoming V10 version weights below 100kg), engine itself weights 300kg(V8 in R8 weights around 190kg, V10 230kg). So, it weight of current R8 is 1560kg then R8 V12 TDI will weight around 1900kg...

Heavy pig if you ask me...

Vorsprung durch Technik??!!

Nicht immer....

Or not in this case if you ask me. Ceramic brakes are still officially not available for R8(despite the fact that my car is ordered with them and ordering system features code PC5 for them...). LED front lights will become an option from late April 2008... Should I continue?

Audi-better offer everything for current R8 that is in current German R8 brochure then to introduce useless car like auto box V12 diesel mid engine R8(0f course IMHO). Showing V10 version would make much more sense IMO...

Leadfoot
January 2nd, 2008, 08:09
I see the importance of something like a R8 with a 500hp diesel engine totally differently than yourself. The very fact that Audi will have done it first and with an engine so technically advanced as this puts Audi clearly at the top with diesel technology plus first to combine supercar with a diesel engine and give it performance which wouldn't disgrace the breed.

Vorsprung Durch Technik doesn't come close to describing it.

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 09:21
Supercar with diesel engine(ok, V12 TDI) and automatic gearbox? OK, if you say so...

Maximal revs 4200rpm... Even with 8 pretty short gears it will drive like... Well, I will keep it for myself...

This car will be a FAILURE IMHO. Your will disagree with me big time I guess...

Vorsprung Durch Technik?

How about this R8 with 4.0L FSI with biturbo and 480hp/560Nm and 7speed S-Tronic(DSG)? Basic weight-same as current R8 with 420hp. Perfomance wise? 0-100km/h in 4.0s, 0-200km/h in 13.0s, Max. speed 315km/h... Ring time 7.50min...
C02 emissions lower then on current R8(V12 TDI will have bigger C02 emissions then current R8-so, it want be even politically correct...)...
Price wise my proposal could be on 997 Turbo level...

V8 biturbo with legg-less response, excellent exhaust sound, light speed fast S-Tronic... That could be a dream to drive IMHO...

Diesel...? Not at all... And you will see that I am right this time...

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 09:23
Oh.. I forgot to say one very important fact-R8 V12 TDI will be slower then current R8(420hp). In acceleration, top speed and track time. You want be pleased with official numbers...

Leadfoot
January 2nd, 2008, 09:34
Oh.. I forgot to say one very important fact-R8 V12 TDI will be slower then current R8(420hp). In acceleration, top speed and track time. You want be pleased with official numbers...

Whether or not it makes it to produce and whether or not it's quicker than the current R8 isn't really the point of such an exercise, the very fact that Audi had the balls to do it means to me that not only do the Germans have a sense of humour but they are technically brilliant.

Think of it this way, in ten years time when we have possibly a dozen so-called supercars running diesels the one that will be remembered will be the first. How many thought the 335d was silly at the start and now look at it.

P.S.

I am not so sure that the topspeed will be slower though I won't say that out-right acceleration will be and lap times too. But what do you reckon on real world acceleration, the in-gear times of this will destroy the R8v8, plus it fuel economy such also be pretty decent.

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 10:11
Fuel economic in true sportscar??

Weight of this 6.0L V12 TDI is 300kgs...

You and I disagree here big time. My opinion is that further development of DI(FSI) engines is true future of Audi. Look at new V8 biturbo BMW engine in X6. Audi should done it first... BUT NO, they decided to go in to the undiscovered country...

Erik
January 2nd, 2008, 10:51
I agree it would be a first to do a diesel sports car, and there might be some marketing to be earned by that.

However I would not buy it, and I don't think it would sell. I'd rather be looking for the redline above 8k, not 4k.

The BMW 635d is out...

tvrfan
January 2nd, 2008, 12:12
SO GUYS ! ! ! ive got the NEW auto motor sport magazin and there pictures about the R8 V12 TDI in white and it looks awesome, completly different bodystyle. a few infos. if the car get good publicity it will be build in 2009.

- the V12 TDI is 100kg heavier than the V8.
- the car has a more RWD based handling because V12 (100kg heavier)
- to put the V12 TDI in the R8 the room behind the seats is gone.
- from 0-60 mph 0.4 sec faster than the V8. over 300 km/h fast. (0-60 4.2 sec)
- new bodystyle (sorry i cant scan pictures =(. ) but i looks fucking awesome ! ! !

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 12:40
SO GUYS ! ! ! ive got the NEW auto motor sport magazin and there pictures about the R8 V12 TDI in white and it looks awesome, completly different bodystyle. a few infos. if the car get good publicity it will be build in 2009.

- the V12 TDI is 100kg heavier than the V8.
- the car has a more RWD based handling because V12 (100kg heavier)
- to put the V12 TDI in the R8 the room behind the seats is gone.
- from 0-60 mph 0.4 sec faster than the V8. over 300 km/h fast. (0-60 4.2 sec)
- new bodystyle (sorry i cant scan pictures =(. ) but i looks fucking awesome ! ! !

In new issue of German AMS?

Leadfoot
January 2nd, 2008, 13:45
tvrfan,

Everything you are saying sounds very logical, the rear bulkhead being moved to accommodate the bigger engine+turbos, the higher topspeed (extra hp+torque) and the slightly different bodystyling (all to aid the cooling no doubt).

I look forward to someone posting pictures.

RXBG
January 2nd, 2008, 14:04
In new issue of German AMS?

can someone post pics PLZ???????????????????

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 14:21
can someone post pics PLZ???????????????????

It is not in latest issue of German Auto, Motor und Sport. So, it must be some renderings in one of the east european editions of AMS...

NO info yet on Audi Press web site as well...

HKS786
January 2nd, 2008, 14:39
need pics !!!!

Leadfoot
January 2nd, 2008, 14:45
It is not in latest issue of German Auto, Motor und Sport. So, it must be some renderings in one of the east european editions of AMS...

NO info yet on Audi Press web site as well...

Unfamiliar with what some magazines do when they do editions in other countries but I would have thought for the credibility of the magazine they would show similar articles of news and content.

Is this not the case? :confused:

I must say that all tvrfan is posting does sound logical and reasonable.

Qisha
January 2nd, 2008, 14:48
Dear Friends,

official Pictures and Information will be cleared for Public use soon.

Whoever is skeptic about a Midengined Diesel Sportscar, it does not sound like what you would call a Diesel- nor does the way it develops its power feel familiar. You will actually never need more than four to five gears under no conditions whatsoever, except for Topspeed.

The R8 Generation just started, there is more to come within this chassis over the next years. And i would assume everyone will get a piece of whatever the personal likes may be. :)

Qisha

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 14:53
Leadie,

Local editions(specailly some east European) of AMS are not 100% similar to German edition.

Here (http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/heft/mpsmag_mag_500218_13996.hbs) is the latest issue of German AMS. As you can see(and I have that issue on my desk) no info at all about R8 V12 TDI...

I checked Audi Press site as well-no info yet... On MotorPresse(company that publishes German AMS and Sport Auto) press web site is some info but, no pictures as well...

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 15:08
Dear Friends,

official Pictures and Information will be cleared for Public use soon.

Whoever is skeptic about a Midengined Diesel Sportscar, it does not sound like what you would call a Diesel- nor does the way it develops its power feel familiar. You will actually never need more than four to five gears under no conditions whatsoever, except for Topspeed.

The R8 Generation just started, there is more to come within this chassis over the next years. And i would assume everyone will get a piece of whatever the personal likes may be. :)

Qisha

Qisha,

I will sound little bit rude but, I do not agree with you-whatever you work for Audi or not...

Why? I drove latest specs A8 4.2TDI over the weekend few months ago and I liked few things about that engine... BUT, I did not like few things as well:
-very power usable power bandwidth(specially in comparison with NA engine like 420hp V8 in R8)
-turbo lag still present despite very soft torque converter on Tiptronic
-sound(still sound like diesel-despite V8 configuration)
-very short first gear on Tiptronic(I can bet that first gear on R8 TDI will be very short as well)

So, I tried to imagine similar engine(V12 TDI) in R8... Correct me if I am wrong but, according to my info weight of R8 V12 TDI will be around 1900kg... Handling wise this car will not be at current R8(or Gallardo's) level...

Of course I could be wrong! Maybe Diesel engine is future of sportscars but, I do not think so...

For me current R8 is more then enough(of course V10 version is tempting!)...

If biturbo then RS6 Avant engine with 7speed DSG (http://www.getrag.de/en/253) in future R8 please!

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 15:32
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/417/dsc00232co3.jpg

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9246/dsc00233yz2.jpg

Scans are not very best quality...

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 15:35
IMHO these renderings are horrible...

Qisha
January 2nd, 2008, 15:54
Dear KresoF1,

i am not a person that discusses personal likes- or dislikes. Everyone is free to let his personal taste become true. But let me say so much:

the Audi A8 (4E) 4.2 TDi has been introduced in 2005 to replace the 4.0 TDi Engine. Actually this Engine/Transmission Layout is well balanced for a Premium Luxury Car but it is not abreast with technical development. The 2nd stage of this Engine is running in the Q7 already. What we are talking about is the R8, totally different in any way. Sure you will never reach high RPM due to the Diesel Tech Layout but you are also never in need for this. It is simply different. The benefits that come with it are just in touch with our local Time, Co2 to name one subject. The V12 TDi Engine meets Euro 5 regulations effective upcoming in 2010. The MPG values are more favorable as well as the lifetime reliability. Of course this might not be the first thoughts for customers when buying a Sportscar, but it will let you think. You dont have to see this TDi Version as a replacement, it simply will stay side-to-side with the petrol engined Versions.

I dont foment no speculations but i can not confirm weight as posted.

So much, the R8 V12 TDi has everything to be the fastest Diesel powered Production car ever. Might be no surprise but it could also be the fastest Audi Production car...

I see your taste is not in touch with this R8 TDi but this is alright. As said before, you got/will have other options based on the same car. You might get the chance of comparing the R8 range in life, take your time, drive and form your own opinion.

Qisha

PS: Better Handling is easier to achieve in combination with reducing weight, improving handling with raised weight needs "Vorsprung durch Technik", and not impossible. :D

PPS: LeMans & ALMS have been won by the bravery of using this benefits. ;)

artur777
January 2nd, 2008, 15:59
Dear KresoF1,

i am not a person that discusses personal likes- or dislikes. Everyone is free to let his personal taste become true. But let me say so much:

the Audi A8 (4E) 4.2 TDi has been introduced in 2005 to replace the 4.0 TDi Engine. Actually this Engine/Transmission Layout is well balanced for a Premium Luxury Car but it is not abreast with technical development. The 2nd stage of this Engine is running in the Q7 already. What we are talking about is the R8, totally different in any way. Sure you will never reach high RPM due to the Diesel Tech Layout but you are also never in need for this. It is simply different. The benefits that come with it are just in touch with our local Time, Co2 to name one subject. The V12 TDi Engine meets Euro 5 regulations effective upcoming in 2010. The MPG values are more favorable as well as the lifetime reliability. Of course this might not be the first thoughts for customers when buying a Sportscar, but it will let you think. You dont have to see this TDi Version as a replacement, it simply will stay side-to-side with the petrol engined Versions.

I dont foment no speculations but i can not confirm weight as posted.

So much, the R8 V12 TDi has everything to be the fastest Diesel powered Production car ever. Might be no surprise but it could also be the fastest Audi Production car...

I see your taste is not in touch with this R8 TDi but this is alright. As said before, you got/will have other options based on the same car. You might get the chance of comparing the R8 range in life, take your time, drive and form your own opinion.

Qisha

PS: Better Handling is easier to achieve in combination with reducing weight, improving handling with raised weight needs "Vorsprung durch Technik", and not impossible. :D

PPS: LeMans & ALMS have been won by the bravery of using this benefits. ;)

Qisha, you sound very logical. Especially - the last point!
I think that R8 V12TDI will be something new untasted in the sportcars line of all manufacturers.

And the phrase about R8 V12TDI being the fastest is a smart one. Though I hope that RS6 Sedan will be the same as fast ;-)

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 16:02
Dear Qisha,

Yes, personal preferences! Yours and mine are pretty different I guess...

BTW, I remember few of your comments here about R8 before it was launched in 2006 Paris Show. Sorry to say but, some of your info was way off the real facts(when R8 was introduced). Specially those about weight and acceleration...
So, we will see about your info in this regard as well.
I must admit I am little bit sceptical...

Leadfoot
January 2nd, 2008, 16:08
Listen to what Qisha is saying, the engine will perform and sound totally different that anything diesel to has come before it. I have heard most forms of diesel engines, from the small 4cyl unit right up to the mighty v10TDi and with each addition of cylinders the note changes by quite a bit, the v10TDi actually sounds quite good to me though it's rev limit is the only problem I see.

It will be interesting to see how much of the R10 race car's technology will be present in this engine, it I believe revs to >6000rpm so I could live with the thought of a R8d supercar that could rev in the high fives.

KersoF1,

I understand your reasoning behind what you are saying but you can't halt progress and with the present economical concerns a diesel is a better choice than Audi going down the Hybrid route which his been proven time and again to neither be as economical as diesel or provide the same CO2 levels with similar performance, plus the added weight of the additional electric motors and batteries will far and exceed the 1900Kgs you are estimating for the diesel R8. If anyone would have went the Hybrid route in a supercar it would have been Lexus but even they understand that such a thing wouldn't be possible.

No what Audi has undertook sounds familiar to the undertaking Bugatti did with the Veyron, just as now the same comments were made that it goals would be unachievable and it would be a failure from a technical point of view. Oh how quick their opinions changed once they drove it.

I wonder will lightening strike twice. ;)

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 16:15
Leadie,

your assumption is that Qisha is working for Audi... I doubt that...

Why?

Well... Some of his info in the past, specially in R8 case(original lauch in Paris 2006) was way off the spot and not accurate at all...

artur777
January 2nd, 2008, 16:16
Leadie,

Why?

Well... Some of his info in the past, specially in R8 case(original lauch in Paris 2006) was way off the spot and not accurate at all...

KrseoF1,

may be the info on R8 has been changed by Audi themselves since that time? don't you think so?

HKS786
January 2nd, 2008, 16:22

I agree. They arent very accurate either.

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 16:26
KrseoF1,

may be the info on R8 has been changed by Audi themselves since that time? don't you think so?

No, I do not think so. I could be wrong of course but, I do not think that Qisha is working for Audi at all...

Dear Qisha,

If you are working really for Audi then this three questions will be piece of cake for you:

1. What is ordering code for Polished 19" wheels for R8(they are just becoming available with 305/30-19 rear tires)?

2.What is ordering code for Ceramic Brakes for R8(I saw it today in my Audi dealers system...)?

3.What is ordering code for MonzaSilber Metallic color for RS6 Avant?

Of course, you do not have to answer the questions... I am just kidding...

RXBG
January 2nd, 2008, 16:34
thanks for the scans!

it is news to me that the R8 concept to be shown in detroit will have a diesel. lots of sites bet their butts on a high rev V10. i guess a V12 diesel would be interesting. perhaps it will have a twin charger set up to produce less heat, weight, and more applicability to the limited-ventilation mid engine design of the R8's.

i can't wait to see what is going on. will infoa nd pics be leaked this week sometime? it'll make my week go by more quickly....

Qisha
January 2nd, 2008, 16:37
Dear KresoF1,

you got to understand that decissions are made on another level than just to people sitting together and argue. First there are proposals, followed by feasibility-studies, after having a paperwork concept this is presented to the board, will pass or die and finally be scheduled. You might as well think about shortcuts- and detours, the sooner schedules are hinted, the sooner you might fall due to last minute changes.

After all, you are free to believe whatever you wish. I for one do not feel like i have to proof whatsoever.

Qisha

PS: to say the least, sometimes "those rensponsible" are just not linear.

RXBG
January 2nd, 2008, 16:41
No, I do not think so. I could be wrong of course but, I do not think that Qisha is working for Audi at all...

Dear Qisha,

If you are working really for Audi then this three questions will be piece of cake for you:

1. What is ordering code for Polished 19" wheels for R8(they are just becoming available with 305/30-19 rear tires)?

2.What is ordering code for Ceramic Brakes for R8(I saw it today in my Audi dealers system...)?

3.What is ordering code for MonzaSilber Metallic color for RS6 Avant?

Of course, you do not have to answer the questions... I am just kidding...

trust me. WHETHER OR NOT mr. quisha works for audi. he is The Man. :bow:

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 16:42
Dear Qisha,

I remember this thread http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9740 and you will agree that your info about power and weight was not correct at all.
In the first week of September 2006 my own Audi dealer showed me info about R8-more accurate then yours...

I am sorry if I offended you any way.

Regarding my question(of course I know the answers) I did not think that you will answer them at all...

Leadfoot
January 2nd, 2008, 16:47
Leadie,

Why?

The info regarding acceleration times and overall performance is very objective so early in the car's development, I know that the TT/S early on in it's development has lapped the ring in less than 8:15 but we all know that a statement like that would be laughed at now knowing the power/weight.

I think all of us should value the info from Qisha and others as without it the flow of information would be more limited and much less would be being discussed.

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 16:54
The info regarding acceleration times and overall performance is very objective so early in the car's development, I know that the TT/S early on in it's development has lapped the ring in less than 8:15 but we all know that a statement like that would be laughed at now knowing the power/weight.

I think all of us should value the info from Qisha and others as without it the flow of information would be more limited and much less would be being discussed.

Leadie,

I value Qisha's informations very much. Sometimes they are pretty accurate, sometimes they are not...

For example I do not agree with you always but, I respect you and your opinion. And I simply love to discuss Audi's with you since you are pretty important member of Audi Parlament here...

Leadfoot
January 2nd, 2008, 16:58

Regarding the images of the R8TDi, I haven't seen any images before these so I don't know if they are accurate or not but the additional body parts may be required to aid stability at the excessive speed this diesel R8 may be capable of .... or not. ;)

roadrunner
January 2nd, 2008, 18:05
Leadie,

I value Qisha's informations very much. Sometimes they are pretty accurate, sometimes they are not...

For example I do not agree with you always but, I respect you and your opinion. And I simply love to discuss Audi's with you since you are pretty important member of Audi Parlament here...

Finally we got the curve :cheers: - at a certain stage of the discussion i was puzzled by the direction we were heading :bigeyes:

You are completely right about gazoline and diesel engines not being comparable.

But this does not mean, that a diesel powered R8 cannot be a good drive. And a R8 V12 TDI will be foremost a marketing stunt, as already stated: Audi did it first, and how they did it.

I' m sure you will enjoy your R8 4.2 :R8kiss: , as it has the most exciting engine i have driven (in an RS4), and i can only imagine how that feels in the body of an R8 (a dream car). Not to speak of the comming R8 V10.

But i also had the oppotunity to drive a TT Mk.II 3.2 S-tronic and a A5 3.0 TDI head to head in Sep. between Cologne and Frankfurt (IAA). When we brought the A5 back to Europcar and my friend (owns the TT) asked me which i liked more, i could not decide - they are both superb drives and the "new" 3.0 TDI in the A5 (which revs by the way till ~5.000 rpm, and does this very freely) is the best diesel engine i have driven. Bottom line: they are both fun in different ways, which probably will never cross - but come closer together.

Give the R8 TDI a chance - it does not have to do it for you, it might for others :thumb:

cheers
seb.

Erik
January 2nd, 2008, 18:39
Everyone please note!

Who they are and where each and everyone is working is their private business, unless they chose to tell you.

Please do not "out" people by guessing as we may lose valuable members.

Some people know (altough information may be correct at the time, it may change with time), some people guess and together we get a nice big puzzle.

Thanks for understanding.

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 18:57
Everyone please note!

Who they are and where each and everyone is working is their private business, unless they chose to tell you.

Some people know (altough information may be correct at the time, it may change with time), some people guess and together we get a nice big puzzle.

Erik,

I have a strange feeling that your post is aimed at me... I am sorry about that since I did not said that I am working for Audi or any other car company. In fact I can say that I am a lawyer by profession. Probably older then most of the audience here... For example most of my info is coming from my friend who works for Motorpresse(company that publishes German AMS and Sport Auto) and my local Audi dealer(who BTW is always pretty helpfull).
I like you web site and I truly think it is a great community but, you did not need to interven here IMHO.
My respect for Qisha is intact but, his own words were sometimes inaccurate and in one thread about R8 he wrote to me that:"He invite me to Neckarsulm to specify my R8 there"... So, that lead me to my conclusion were he could work... I did not imply it first.

Keep up with the good job here!

Best Regards,

Kreso

RXBG
January 2nd, 2008, 19:03
Everyone please note!

big, big, big second! in a manner of speaking I work for audi- seeing as how much i love them and speak the world about them. no girl i ever went on a first date with ever forgot to think of me when they saw an audi after that.

nothing wrong with guessing where we work when the veracity of what is posted is being questioned. but yes, do remember that we do want to keep on the down low certain things. i know for a fact that one of the most important people at lambo HQ lurks on this website. i know him well and personally, but do not want to imperil his information-giving by outing him here.

RXBG
January 2nd, 2008, 19:08
Erik,

I have a strange feeling that your post is aimed at me... I am sorry about that since I did not said that I am working for Audi or any other car company. In fact I can say that I am a lawyer by profession. Probably older then most of the audience here... For example most of my info is coming from my friend who works for Motorpresse(company that publishes German AMS and Sport Auto) and my local Audi dealer(who BTW is always pretty helpfull).
I like you web site and I truly think it is a great community but, you did not need to interven here IMHO.
My respect for Qisha is intact but, his own words were sometimes inaccurate and in one thread about R8 he wrote to me that:"He invite me to Neckarsulm to specify my R8 there"... So, that lead me to my conclusion were he could work... I did not imply it first.

Keep up with the good job here!

Best Regards,

Kreso

kreso- no big deal dude. but erik does have a right. it is his website :)

on another note- kreso- are you getting an R8?

re: the "other stuff" let me order all of you a feldschossen from geneva, drinks up, and forget the issue!

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 19:19
kreso- no big deal dude. but erik does have a right. it is his website :)

on another note- kreso- are you getting an R8?

re: the "other stuff" let me order all of you a feldschossen from geneva, drinks up, and forget the issue!

RXBG,

Yes, I am getting R8. If I am not wrong you order one as well?

BTW, I learned almost everything about R8... How to order Ceramic Brakes(sorry, currently limited availability in Europe)... How to specify Audi Exclusive interior in bicolor... Etc...

I will visit Neckarsulm factory in three weeks time so, I will post lot of pics here. Any wish?

artur777
January 2nd, 2008, 19:19
The thread went mad...

People, you all are respected here!
Qisha is a man which always help us to get some knowledge about Audi cars.
I don't know where he is employed - bu I know that we value his opinion and glad to see him here!
KresoF1 - you too!

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 19:23
The thread went mad...

People, you all are respected here!
Qisha is a man which always help us to get some knowledge about Audi cars.
I don't know where he is employed - bu I know that we value his opinion and glad to see him here!
KresoF1 - you too!

I agree! Qisha is for sure very important member here. No hard feeling from me.

Let's go back OT.

V12 TDI... Good idea or not?

artur777
January 2nd, 2008, 19:32

Let's go back OT.

The idea of Diesel Sportcar is a new one!
But remind please that LMS races are won by Audi on Diesel engines!

So we have to admit that Audi has very advanced Diesel tech.
And in my opinion the car will be unique one - and really very fast.
As the car is mid-engined - the increase of engine's weight will not dramatically spoil the impressions and hadling abilities of the car.

So I think that it will be the fastest R8 in line (faster than expected R8 V10) - it will be in a great demand. People will try it.
If it not - it will less good for this exact model.

RXBG
January 2nd, 2008, 19:33
kreso-

yep. i have an R8 coming first week of april!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can't wait!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

:wo:

yes. if you could please get a picture of monza silver on an R8 that would be fantastic.

when is yours coming in?

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 19:41
kreso-

yep. i have an R8 coming first week of april!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can't wait!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

:wo:

yes. if you could please get a picture of monza silver on an R8 that would be fantastic.

when is yours coming in?

About the same time as yours! Mine is Daytona Grey/Carbon Sigma side blades with Black leather from Audi Exclusive(actually seats Black with inserts in Signal Orange) with all stitching in Signal Orange, black floor mats with piping in Signal Orange leather. Interior trim Carbon Sigma, engine bay Carbon Sigma. Ceramic Brakes I hope... Manual of course!

Your specs?

BTW, I agree with you regarding color! After Daytona Grey Pearl Effect my favourites are Avus Silver Pearl Effect(more blu/purple hint) or new Monza Silver Metallic(less blu hint then Avus Silver). Both colors will look truly awsome on R8 IMHO, specially with Carbon Sigma side blades.

Erik
January 2nd, 2008, 19:53
I have a strange feeling that your post is aimed at me...

The intention of my post was not to point anyone out.
However I suggest that you don't reveal your sources.
This is the Internet and you don't know who is reading and what and whom they know.
It may strangle the flow of information.
All we know for a fact is that there are sometimes people from the HQ around.

We have a few incidents were this has caused major problems and I had to go in and delete/move posts. And I know for a fact that people that worked in company X or Y got identified in their professional life becuase members here were uncareful when they shared the information.

Members here can post information or disinformation on purpose. We don't know.
As I said it's a puzzle and I want it to be the best puzzle around.
As I also said information that may be correct at time of posting may change with time.

Remember that the fact that the Audi RS6 Plus would be released, together with options list etc. was posted here. :hahahehe:

I hope this explains. Back on topic.

PS People who have hot information/pictures and don't want to post themselves are always welcome to contact me via pm or e-mail
and I will do the job for them.

Leadfoot
January 2nd, 2008, 19:58

Let's go back OT.

Firstly, it's great to be back on topic as we really don't want another thread like the other one which also happened to be about the R8.

I don't doubt that KersoF1 values and respects Qisha's input as much as anyone here and like Qisha said things are quite volatile at the early stages of development in all projects (cars).

So back to the question of whether a diesel R8 is a good thing or not?

Personally you can never sit still and to cope what has come before only proves that you as a company are a follower and not a leader. Audi's choice to show a diesel supercar is not only forward thinking but also very brave, like I already said about the Veyron, people are there in the wings to jump on the band wagon if you get it wrong and the car doesn't live up to expectations, to use the R8 which is one of the best and most successful cars (review wise) in Audi's recent history is brave and could destroy it's credibility as a true sportscar but I believe that Audi will not only get the engine/transmission right but also the whole feel and handling of the car.

Like Qisha said (sorry for keep quoting) Better Handling is easier to achieve in combination with reducing weight, improving handling with raised weight needs "Vorsprung durch Technik", and not impossible. This is basically the exact problem the Veyron faced and it's handling is amazing when you consider it's direct change is compatible to it's priers and yet you are able to use every one of it 1001hp, even in the wet.

So a long winded reply but a resounding YES from me.

Erik
January 2nd, 2008, 20:04
As you may know I hold 2 FIA International Records in a V10 TDI, VW Touareg.

I wouldn't mind getting a new record (depends on the size of the engine, if >5 or <5 litres) or improving the old record...

Just give me a call when the R8 TDI is ready...

KresoF1
January 2nd, 2008, 20:04
Leadie,

Since you mentined Veyron I do not know if this info will be an old news for you but, Bugatti refused to send an Veyron to Sport Auto for its Supertest. Why? Hmm... I do not want to go in depth but, apparently Bugatti claimed that track times are not important for its costumers. Other reason is that Veyron is underachiver on the Ring? Who knows...?

Personally I do not like idea of heavy diesel engine and automatic gearbox but, we will see...

RXBG
January 2nd, 2008, 20:14
kreso-

mine is ice silver with black interior elements package, all the ususal nav and bang olufsen stuff and alcantara headliner. manual.

unfortunately- we don't get audi exclusive stuff here in the USA. i wasn't sure on the monza and not sure it was 2500 USD better than ice silver.

i am dying to get the CF side blades but so far it has been impossible for me. i've been very bummed out about that. :(

Leadfoot
January 2nd, 2008, 20:14
Leadie,

Since you mentined Veyron I do not know if this info will be an old news for you but, Bugatti refused to send an Veyron to Sport Auto for its Supertest. Why? Hmm... I do not want to go in depth but, apparently Bugatti claimed that track times are not important for its costumers. Other reason is that Veyron is underachiver on the Ring? Who knows...?

Personally I do not like idea of heavy diesel engine and automatic gearbox but, we will see...

Very few have driven the Veyron but of the few that have I don't know of one review which wasn't impressed with the car, including it's handling. I remember EVO pitted the Enzo against the Veyron on a twistie road and the Veyron walked away from it, that sounds like the handling was just fine in their opinion.

As for the R8TDi, I agree that it's best to make the judgement when the car is here and not assume that it will be great or rubbish.

P.S.

Maybe Bugatti didn't feel Horsh was up to the challenge. (only kidding) :lovl:

artur777
January 2nd, 2008, 21:35
Leadie,

KresoF1,

the Ring time of Veyron is 7:40 (I don't remeber who and when).
I don't know if that's a great result but not the worst for sure for a luxury supercar!

Rage
January 2nd, 2008, 21:39
Im with Kreso on this one.

Not a fan of the proposed V12 diesel in a sports car

Things might change though when i see it in person/reviews etc.

I appreciate though that as a newcomer in the sports car market Audi would do well to change the rules in order to succeed.

chewym
January 2nd, 2008, 21:59
Supercar with diesel engine(ok, V12 TDI) and automatic gearbox? OK, if you say so...

C02 emissions lower then on current R8(V12 TDI will have bigger C02 emissions then current R8-so, it want be even politically correct...)...

The V12 TDI would be quicker and have less C02 than the V8 FSI. The R8 is about 3,600 pounds or 1,630 kg and has 420 horsepower. To have the same power to weight ratio, the 500 horsepower V12 TDI would have to weigh 4,286 pounds or 1,944 kg. It will weigh less than that and will have double the torque. And it will have superior fuel economy and C02.

And it could all just possibly be a concept, or it could not. Like I said before, the R8 will have a long life span and will need new engines to maintain publicity.

Audiphile
January 2nd, 2008, 22:43
But this does not mean, that a diesel powered R8 cannot be a good drive. And a R8 V12 TDI will be foremost a marketing stunt, as already stated: Audi did it first, and how they did it.

I disagree that this is just a marketing stunt. Audi tends to carry quite a bit of substance, so for them to build something without it being viable does not seem like them. Merc and Lexus are good at that type of stuff. I think it is time to start thinking of high-performance vehicles powered by other types of formats other than a gasoline engine. Diesel fits right in for Audi considering the R10s and its success so far. Our social "climate" at this time requires automakers to be more responsible. Audi has to reduce its overall CO2 emissions to meet not only regulartory standards but from an image point of view. I look forward to such an Audi. I am sure that the V12 TDI will be something different to behold.

Leadfoot
January 2nd, 2008, 23:19
It's unbelievable to think that instead of celebrating a new Audi with a revolutionary engine it has polarised the group into the for and the against.

It's sad really.

RXBG
January 2nd, 2008, 23:45
It's unbelievable to think that instead of celebrating a new Audi with a revolutionary engine it has polarised the group into the for and the against.

It's sad really.

that would be the case if it offered only one such powerplant in the R8. as it is, this supposed diesel may only be one of many options. in that case, people could choose.

i find it surprising that some people seem unfriendly towards diesel. i am unfriendly towards autoboxes of any kind and not many feel the same way. hard to guess the heart of the car enthusiast.

i find it ok that diesel could make it into a sportscar like the R8. some argue that whatever is ok for formula one is ok for them on the street (i.e. autoboxes). does that mean diesel would be ok if it were employed in that venue and some guy like schumie drove it?

Rage
January 2nd, 2008, 23:45

It's sad really.

Sad??

Sorry but I gotta completely disagree. Im an Audi fan Because they made some great cars (RS4/R8). Im not an Audi fan purely because they are audi. For me sticking a Diesel V12 in an R8 is the wrong direction. You may disagree with me but thats fine because this is a public forum. Most of the stuff discussed here is pure speculation, congesture and wishful thinking and thats cool and fun.

Not sad in my books. If everyone agreed in Audi praise it would be pretty boring and I wouldnt visit here anymore.

artur777
January 3rd, 2008, 00:02
Sad??

Sorry but I gotta completely disagree. Im an Audi fan Because they made some great cars (RS4/R8). Im not an Audi fan purely because they are audi. For me sticking a Diesel V12 in an R8 is the wrong direction. You may disagree with me but thats fine because this is a public forum. Most of the stuff discussed here is pure speculation, congesture and wishful thinking and thats cool and fun.

Not sad in my books. If everyone agreed in Audi praise it would be pretty boring and I wouldnt visit here anymore.

Rage, please don't be so pushy!
This is an OPEN forum. And everybody here is discussing his opinion.
Let's wait for 2 weeks and we will understand in full what to expect from Super-TDI ;-))
BTW, does RS6 suit your requirements of a great car like RS4/R8??

Rage
January 3rd, 2008, 00:21
Rage, please don't be so pushy!
This is an OPEN forum. And everybody here is discussing his opinion.
Let's wait for 2 weeks and we will understand in full what to expect from Super-TDI ;-))
BTW, does RS6 suit your requirements of a great car like RS4/R8??

Lol not being pushy :). I might very well be wrong about the R8TDi lol but I dont thinks its sad that people can see it unfavourably.

Im sure the RS6 will be a great car. Will have to wait and see if it exceeds the M5 but even in its own right it looks pretty amazing so far.

artur777
January 3rd, 2008, 01:26
Lol not being pushy :). I might very well be wrong about the R8TDi lol but I dont thinks its sad that people can see it unfavourably.

Im sure the RS6 will be a great car. Will have to wait and see if it exceeds the M5 but even in its own right it looks pretty amazing so far.

It's ok then!
My favorite car is RS6 and this forum is a good place to discuss latest news and rumors ;-)
:cheers:

Rage
January 3rd, 2008, 01:34
It's ok then!
My favorite car is RS6 and this forum is a good place to discuss latest news and rumors ;-)
:cheers:

RS6 youre favourite.....im sorry, will have to take issue with that. Surely the RS5 will rule the roost! Just kidding :cheers:

Any more rumours anyone? I recently got a letter from Audi UK saying im on there 'Register of interest' and that they will be in contact with any new information they have about the RS5. Im willing to bet though i hear new info hear first over official channels.

Perhaps when we are all in our RS6/RS5/TTS/R8/A4 etc we should arrange a meet sometime. Ill float this again next year lol.

Looking forward to Detroit.

crespo
January 3rd, 2008, 02:46
You and I disagree here big time. My opinion is that further development of DI(FSI) engines is true future of Audi. Look at new V8 biturbo BMW engine in X6. Audi should done it first... BUT NO, they decided to go in to the undiscovered country...Don't mean to purposely start another discussion, but...

Did you somehow forget about the C5 RS6...? 4.2 biturbo V8 ring any bells...? we ARE at RS6.com, aren't we? :addict:

Leadfoot
January 3rd, 2008, 07:43
crespo,

I know very little about this new engine from BMW, what I do know is that it's 4.4L and is twin turboed but only produces just over 400hp which is very weak for a forced induction engine of this capacity.

Maybe BMW choice this to so they could use very small turbos that will help to reduce lag to the point where it isn't noticed.

I personally see turbos/superchargers as the future to reducing CO2 gases and improving economy while still maintaining performance, so I don't BMW has the jump on Audi or anyone.

KresoF1
January 3rd, 2008, 07:58
Don't mean to purposely start another discussion, but...

Did you somehow forget about the C5 RS6...? 4.2 biturbo V8 ring any bells...? we ARE at RS6.com, aren't we? :addict:

You were not read my post? I said DI(FSI) engines. Old RS6 engine was NOT FSI...
My point is that Audi, NOT BMW should introduce world's first V8 biturbo with DI(FSI). Specially since Audi has way more experience with DI(FSI) engines then BMW. After new RS6 V10 FSI biturbo I was expecting similar engine in V8 layout but, Audi said NO... Let put Diesel monster in R8 shell...

I will repeat like a parrot-Diesel and Tiptronic(slushbox) do not belong in true sportscar. Audi race heritage or not! And all of you are forgetting that original R8 race car won everything with V8 FSI biturbo-what about that heritage?

Let me ask you all if you have to choose between two future R8s what will be your choice:

1.R8 V12 TDI 500hp/1000Nm, 8speed Tiptronic, 1940kg

2.R8 4.0l FSI biturbo, 490hp/580Nm, 7speed S-Tronic, 1580kg

Of course, this is pure speculation...

Leadfoot
January 3rd, 2008, 08:07
KersoF1,

No one is disagreeing with you, I myself would logically pick the petrol engined car but only with my current opinion/experience of diesel engines in so-called normal cars. But if you asked the question which to pick between the 335i or 335d I would find myself picking the diesel and this is only because I have sampled both and found the 335d better than the 335i.

I honestly think to disregard a car before you either know all of the facts or have sampled to thing is a bit premature.

chewym
January 3rd, 2008, 08:13
a tt fsi valvelift v8 is possible in the future

chewym
January 3rd, 2008, 08:32
weights are a bit off i think, the difference isn't that big

tiptronic/stronic; probably not that much difference and both are the way to go for maximum racetrack performance

javirex
January 3rd, 2008, 09:09
hello
I´m new in this forum

+44 Dave
January 3rd, 2008, 12:22
With that picture that appeared on Audi.de for the day yesterday it looks likely Audi are looking to start 2008 with a bang.
My money is on seeing the Q5 at Detriot. It would make a lot of sense as the Q5 concept was shown in California, so the production model would make sense at an American show. Audi know american SUV's are slowly starting to downsize and the Q5 is designed to take advantage. There isnt really much competition in this market from the rivals. Theres the X3 but its heavily slated and the new GLK wont be around for a few years. So yes Q5 at Detriot is almost certain in my mind.

The criteria that is wide open is another car, a concept of a production model. TT/S/RS saga, R8 V10 or V12 TDI ?, A4 avant. Many possibilities.

crespo
January 3rd, 2008, 13:36
You were not read my post? I said DI(FSI) engines. Old RS6 engine was NOT FSI...
My point is that Audi, NOT BMW should introduce world's first V8 biturbo with DI(FSI). Specially since Audi has way more experience with DI(FSI) engines then BMW. After new RS6 V10 FSI biturbo I was expecting similar engine in V8 layout but, Audi said NO... Let put Diesel monster in R8 shell...

I will repeat like a parrot-Diesel and Tiptronic(slushbox) do not belong in true sportscar. Audi race heritage or not! And all of you are forgetting that original R8 race car won everything with V8 FSI biturbo-what about that heritage?

Let me ask you all if you have to choose between two future R8s what will be your choice:

1.R8 V12 TDI 500hp/1000Nm, 8speed Tiptronic, 1940kg

2.R8 4.0l FSI biturbo, 490hp/580Nm, 7speed S-Tronic, 1580kg

Of course, this is pure speculation...
So I missed the FSI part, but most people wouldn't see that anyway. Audi was first in putting a biturbo V8 in a sedan/wagon package. AFAIK anyway...

Give me the diesel. It won't weight that much, and still might see the S-Tronic. You pay too much attention to weight with this car, which is a mistake. Even though it is heavier, the weight is still between the wheels, not aft of the front wheels or behind the rear wheels. Weight distribution (in this case combined with traction) is much more important handling-wise than outright weight, within reason of course (Veyron...).

Damienr8
January 3rd, 2008, 15:58
With All this R8 V12 TDI Talk... I personally do not see such a car being introduced in Detriot.

Say the TDI/TT/V10 R8 does not get introduced, what else do you expect to see that's "totally new" from Audi?

Damienr8
January 3rd, 2008, 16:00
hello
I´m new in this forum

Hi There and welcome :)

RXBG
January 3rd, 2008, 16:20
hello
I´m new in this forum

welcome.

a/s/l ? just kidding.

where from? what's your ride?

Audiphile
January 3rd, 2008, 17:49
hello
I´m new in this forum

Welcome!

Leadfoot
January 4th, 2008, 00:18
Got some fresh info on the R8v12TDi and KersoF1, man you are so wrong with your opinions on this car, it is really going to rock the establishment.....BIG TIME. On ever front this thing will exceed even your expectations.

I am waiting the go ahead as to whether I can share any of it but even if I can't the info will be out soon and you will see what I mean.

A small clue to keep you interested, do you still think it will be slower than the current R8. ;) (the smiles says it all)

chewym
January 4th, 2008, 00:27
The magazine said it would be .4 seconds quicker per Audi specs. Or making it real world 0-60 of 3.5 seconds or so.

javirex
January 4th, 2008, 08:05
welcome.

a/s/l ? just kidding.

where from? what's your ride?

hello again, sorry for my english , I´m spanish from Alicante, I´ve got an Audi A4, I´m waiting for a new TT mk2. :ttaddict:

KresoF1
January 4th, 2008, 10:24
Got some fresh info on the R8v12TDi and KersoF1, man you are so wrong with your opinions on this car, it is really going to rock the establishment.....BIG TIME. On ever front this thing will exceed even your expectations.

I am waiting the go ahead as to whether I can share any of it but even if I can't the info will be out soon and you will see what I mean.

A small clue to keep you interested, do you still think it will be slower than the current R8. ;) (the smiles says it all)

Leadie,

First, my opinion is based on Audi's info that I get from guy who works for Audi Austria. BTW, he raved about the car as you did.

Now... You claim that R8 V12 TDI will:"...rock the establishment..." May I ask you how? If I am not wrong R8 V12 TDI will be shown as a study, NOT a production version... So, NO relevant car magazine(German Sport Auto or UKs EVO) will be able to measure it(yes, IMHO those measurements are very important) or drive it on the road or track without Audi's "Man in Black"....
So, we will HAVE to belive in Audi's claims in forthcoming press release? Did you forgot Audi's claim for 0-200km/h for R8? 14.9s... BUT, the fastest measured time was 15.2s by German Auto Bild Sportscar edition...

For example FOR ME current R8(with manual gearbox) is SOTA in handling, driver involvment and sheer pleasure of driving. V10 should be faster but, more fluid in handling or involvement?

V12 TDI with slushbox simply despite all your raves will not meet these criteria IMHO... Fast? YES. Nice Diesel exhaust sound? If you say so...
More expensive then any other Audi(including forthcoming V10 version)? WAY more expensive(if the decide to produce it)...

Would you rather buy it over Ferrari 430 Scuderia or Porsche 997 GT2? I think so. BUT, I would choose either if these two cars...

Leadfoot
January 4th, 2008, 10:51
KersoF1,

I understand and agree that this is at present only a concept which may go into production if opinions are favourable.

According to what I have been told some of the info you are hearing is wrong or it's me who is wrong on this occasion, I am man enough to admit if that will be the case. I can't comment on how the thing will behave on the road compared to the current R8 so with this we can only take Audi's word if they said that it's close to the normal petrol car but we can discussion the performance and based on what I was told it will better the R8v8 and I am guessing by some margin.

You are basing it's performance on two things, you estimates of what the weight will be and the fact that it may have a normal automatic gearbox. It has been hinted to me as to what the weight will be and I am waiting to hear what may be special about the gearbox, if I am correct in the questions I asked then you will be quite surprised as to the performance and handling of this car/concept.

P.S.

No one is asking you to buy in to the idea of a diesel supercar only to accept that the idea might be a stroke of genius in the present economical climate.

KresoF1
January 4th, 2008, 11:07
I am not bashing its performance at all. For me complete concept is simply wrong...

Politically correct supersportscar?! Are you joking?

I agree with you that Audi will show what is it capable of doing with this concept.

One other example that we disagree here big time-you said that you prefer 335d(autobox) to 335i(it is not clear-manual or auto?)... I prefer manual 335i over 335d any time...

IMHO big and heavy diesel engines belong to SUVs and limousines-not to true sportscars.

I drove both S5 and A5 3.0TDI-for me no question at all-despite lower torque S5 is a clear winner.

Leadfoot
January 4th, 2008, 12:12
I have said before and will keep repeating I am not a fan of the automatic gearbox, I believe the Lexus IS-F may be the first that will change this opinion of mine but until I sample it I am firmly in the manual gearbox camp.

My comments on the 335d vs 335i are more based on the abilities of both cars, being it out-right performance, handling and economy as well as everyday driving. To me the 335d ticks more of the boxes compared to the petrol car, for starters it's quieter at motorway speeds, it's performance from over 60mph does feel stronger, handling on the road at least feels as good as the petrol and lastly the economy totally destroys the 335i. It's funny but with the sheer power and torque of the 335d to gearbox is less of an issue and basing my experience on the 335d I reckon the R8TDi may also be the same.

I also have drove both the S5 and A5 3.0TDi though not back to back and the S5 is superior in many ways but the A5 was a very impressive machine, especially with it's manual box, I reckon with the power that the A5 3.0TDi has the manual box will best suited to it's delivery so I think if anyone is considering the auto I suggest driving the both cars to together just in case.

PeterJohn
January 4th, 2008, 16:35
A modern "slushbox" will shift faster than your average human can, plus you can select your gears if you want to.

With 1000Nm on tap, you either need a clutch replacement every week, a clutch-gearbox that costs as much as the rest of the car, or an automatic.

The powerband in rpms may be limited in a Diesel, but with 1000Nm and tall gears you can get the same acceleration and in-gear-speed-range (there should be a word for that, perhaps "speedband"). The Z06 is no rpm champion either, but that doesn't seem to bother it all that much.

Qisha
January 4th, 2008, 16:56
Dear PeterJohn,

you named the points, i second that.

Lets wait, lay back and watch what the rest of the world thinks about the idea of a Diesel Sportscar. :cheers:

Qisha

itisme
January 4th, 2008, 17:32
isn't the A5 3.0 better copared with the 3.0 TDI instead of an S5? There is too much HP difference there...

to think that a diesel doesn't fit to a supersportscar just of the fact that it doesn't suit with your mind is a very weak argument.

none of us has ever experienced a V12 TDI and what it is capable of, so just try the Q7 V12 TDI (gess some of you guys here are in the league to test drive this "monster") and than imagine it lighter, lower, smaller and more ballanced and see then

gess we won't come to an end in this discussion before...

KresoF1
January 4th, 2008, 17:43
Qisha's and PeterJohn's points are valid ones. But, IMHO that big diesel engine belong in Q7-not in R8.

Tall gears, narrow powerbandwidth and very soft torque converter do not belong in true sportscar, at least IMO.
Regarding that very soft turque converter-did any of you tried Q7 4.2TDI? You will know then what I am talking about...

Maybe Audi will put Veyrons DSG in this R8 Study? Since latest Getrag DSG can handle only up to 750Nm...

itisme
January 4th, 2008, 17:49
Qisha's and PeterJohn's points are valid ones. But, IMHO that big diesel engine belong in Q7-not in R8.

Tall gears, narrow powerbandwidth and very soft torque converter do not belong in true sportscar, at least IMO.
Regarding that very soft turque converter-did any of you tried Q7 4.2TDI? You will know then what I am talking about...

Maybe Audi will put Veyrons DSG in this R8 Study? Since latest Getrag DSG can handle only up to 750Nm...

how much less would a twinturbo W12 petrol engine weight in an R8 and what power could we expact from AUDI (not a tuner!)

and what would the V10 BiTurbo in the R8 weight?

is it so much less than the diesel does? I know the reasons why it is heaviour etc. but would it be that much compared to its equal petrol engine?

KresoF1
January 4th, 2008, 18:25
As a hint I could say that V10 version of R8 will be about 50kg heavier according to my info then current V8. So, it is let's say 1610kg-1620kg(weight of current R8 is 1560kg).

My guess is that 5.0L V10 biturbo(from RS6) combined with Getrag DSG in R8 could bring additional 50kgs... So, we are talking about 1660kg/580hp/650Nm...

V12 TDI weights alone 300kg and Tiptronic gearbox(if they put the one from Q7 V12) is about 125kg. Veyrons DSG(made by Ricardo for Bugatti is about 150kg...

That means that in either case R8 V12 TDI will weight more then 1900kg. Even with Ceramic Brakes and heavy usage of Carbon Fibre.

Weight distribution wont be 44% front and 56% rear as on current R8 but, 32% front and 68% rear-not very best thing for midengine layout(R8 is NOT rear engine Porsche 997)...

Another issue is centar of gravity. V12 TDI is higher engine then either 5.2L V10 or 4.2L V8 both in dry sump configurations. Will Audi reconfigure V12 TDI for dry sump also? I doubt it but, we will see...

I truly hope that this Study will remain as Study.

chewym
January 4th, 2008, 18:48
So there is only 125 kg additional weight, which makes it way below 1900. This could be the GT version of the R8. And it would do very well in acceleration contests. And it would do pretty well on the track with so much power.

And the pics don't give much confidence that Audi would even have this design study.

KresoF1
January 4th, 2008, 19:02
So there is only 125 kg additional weight, which makes it way below 1900. This could be the GT version of the R8. And it would do very well in acceleration contests. And it would do pretty well on the track with so much power.

And the pics don't give much confidence that Audi would even have this design study.

Well, you got it wrong-sorry...

Engine only(V12 TDI) weights 105kg more and gearbox is at least 60kg more(then manual in current R8). You forgot big intercooler for V12 turbos... Way more coolant and oil...

If that study will weight below 1900kg-then it is a clear miracle...

PeterJohn
January 4th, 2008, 19:08
About drysump...

I believe Audi dry-sumped the V8 mainly as a design feature, because it drops the engine lower in the engine bay. Other mid engined cars have very high waistlines to cover their engines. The R8 is pretty unique as a mid engined car with a rear window that is more than 2inches high (exaggeration). I think they only managed that by making the engine very low.

Audi also dry sumped the V10 TT. Perhaps for heat managent, or to make create some space.

I think for heat managment and design, the V12TDI must be dry sump. A V12 has a 60° angle between the cilinder bank, so it'll stick out even more than a V8.

KresoF1
January 4th, 2008, 19:19
Dry sump-high lateral Gs! That is the main reason for dry sump in R8.

Ferrari F430 engine use dry sump, Gallardo's V10 as well. Porsche 997 GT2/GT3/GT3RS and Turbo-all of them use dry sump...

V12 TDI use normal wet sump in Q7. Do you know how big will be oil tank if they decided to use dry sump version of V12 TDI? Very, very big... Other problem-automatic gearbox CAN NOT be used with dry sump engines(at least all current ZF Tiptronic boxes that Audi uses in A8/Q7)... So, V12 TDI is either wet sump-if gearbox is Tiptronic or dry sump-if gearbox is Veyron's DSG...

From pure technical point of view I am very interested how Audi did it(put that big engine in R8 engine bay). Other thing is will it drive at all?

RXBG
January 4th, 2008, 19:20
this is a good discussion!

to audi's credit they are doing a good thing. the way of the future is to play in an environmentally friendly way. though the hi po engine they will show will probably not be realistically feasible itself in the R8, it represents an idea that they will make happen with a smaller diesel engine that they can cool appropriately so that they can put it in the car and sell it.

something tells me audi is going to show some styling changes that may come in the V10 that is going to be intro'd in paris. though that car will be a coupe, audi will probably test our reaction to the car they show in detroit, which will likely be a targa- for i do not think the R8 has enough room for a folding top.

it's going to be exciting.

maybe someone will leak something on monday.

KresoF1
January 4th, 2008, 19:23
Did you saw this one?
http://www.autozeitung.de/online/bildDB/98425_700.jpg

Leadfoot
January 4th, 2008, 19:59
This is one of the few discussions of late that hasn't turn into a full blooded argument, so can I ask everyone to give themselves a pat on the back for a job well done.:cheers:

I think the real sticking point with die-hard petrol heads is the narrow power band that a diesel engine has, I know race drivers are getting paid to drive but I think I remembered Alan McNish who said it did take time to get use to the differences but he felt the new car had very valid plus point, one which was it's pick up from slow corners and it's monstrous acceleration, the narrow rev range was dealt with be the length of the gears.

I know many expect the sound of a supercar to be part of the experience and on this note there is no doubt that the V12TDi will not approach the kind of sound that a Ferrari V8 can at full bore, then again neither can the GTR or the Noble M400 but both are still regarded as amazingly good supercars for other reasons. But if you take the sound out of the equation and only concern yourself with the acceleration then with the correctly matched ratios to the engine's power range I can't think of anyone not liking what they will get from this car.

We are also discussing the weight as a known figure and all of this is based on what the V12TDi with gearbox weighs in the Q7 plus what the normal R8 weighs with it's V8. Has anyone consider that the price of this car might be quite a lot more than the normal R8 which could allow for CF panels instead of Alloy. Plus if this has indeed a 8speed box then with also know that it's not the same as the Q7 which might throw every other of KersoF1's beliefs out the window as well, like not auto with a dry sump. This car may even be the R8's top model, a technical master piece so to speak, the kind that rich Saudis and old Rock stars buy.

I personally can't wait to see what the spec of this car end up with, all I know is the two weights, KersoF1 and the one told to me are totally different. Either Audi are doing some special with the body, gearbox+engine or what I have been told is wrong.

Only time will tell. ;)

Damienr8
January 4th, 2008, 20:30
I personally do not fancy a 3800lb R8. The weight figure for the V8R8 is large enough.

RXBG
January 4th, 2008, 21:14
I personally do not fancy a 3800lb R8. The weight figure for the V8R8 is large enough.

is it a weight or substance issue?

if someone describes to you a 5' 8" 140 lb girl you (and most) might immediately conclude she's fat and respond unfavorably.

...but when she shows up and you realize her weight is what it is because she works out daily and has rock hard abs, ass, legs, and big bouncy tits and can, as a result of her low center of gravity, ride you like a schizophrenic banshee glued to a disney ride you forget about the weight.

because its about the p a c k a g e baby.

look at the RS4. and i bet the R10 weighs more than most of the other LMP1 entries.

Leadfoot
January 4th, 2008, 21:29
RXBG,

Not the way I would have described it but I think we get the picture. I don't think anyone is expecting a Lotus Exige but as the R8v8 is currently rated as one of the greatest handling cars available I reckon the R8TDi will still be something quite special in that department.

Damienr8
January 4th, 2008, 22:09
is it a weight or substance issue?

if someone describes to you a 5' 8" 140 lb girl you (and most) might immediately conclude she's fat and respond unfavorably.

...but when she shows up and you realize her weight is what it is because she works out daily and has rock hard abs, ass, legs, and big bouncy tits and can, as a result of her low center of gravity, ride you like a schizophrenic banshee glued to a disney ride you forget about the weight.

because its about the p a c k a g e baby.

look at the RS4. and i bet the R10 weighs more than most of the other LMP1 entries.

LOL, very nice analogy RXBG. I understand you comepletely. However, I just don't fancy seeing a 3800lb R8. While it may be the case that it will have amazing handling characteristics, steering feedback, etc.etc. the thought of a 3800lb supercar makes me a little....wary?. In any case, Audi is on top of things with the R8 and I can't wait to see what they will accomplish with this TDI version.

By the way guys.....Are we so sure of a TDI. What if Audi shows a lightweight, high revving V10???

chewym
January 4th, 2008, 22:59
The R8 is already 3,600 or so. 3,800+ with people in it. Yet it does fine. The Nissan GT-R is 3,850 without passanger and does fine too.

Damienr8
January 4th, 2008, 23:29
The R8 is already 3,600 or so. 3,800+ with people in it. Yet it does fine. The Nissan GT-R is 3,850 without passanger and does fine too.

As i stated before, I know the capabilities will be there, i know it will perform. However, I just dont like the idea of a 3800lb supercar. That's all.

itisme
January 4th, 2008, 23:58
As i stated before, I know the capabilities will be there, i know it will perform. However, I just dont like the idea of a 3800lb supercar. That's all.

lol.. guess I got a déja vue ;)... I read that somewhere some seconds before ;)

very very good points in this discussion. You guys are phenomenal. Can't wait for some testings. I'm sure some german mags are able to drive it once, or twice since it seems to be a driveable studie

PeterJohn
January 5th, 2008, 22:39
While we wait for official word, here's a compilation of "TDI sound".

R10 http://www.youtube.com/v/ChGGWY_CwO0
straight pipes Golf http://www.youtube.com/v/xlz0V4NLnXU
Bi Turbo Golf http://www.youtube.com/v/IWzt_5007x8

The RS6
January 6th, 2008, 09:15
very very good points in this discussion. You guys are phenomenal. Can't wait for some testings. I'm sure some german mags are able to drive it once, or twice since it seems to be a driveable studie

Yep, maybe they'll give it to the press if it is driveable!

Like that 6.0W12 Golf that VW made...

I'd reeeeeealy like to hear what Clarkson has to say about a Diesel sports car :D :D :D

Leadfoot
January 6th, 2008, 09:46
While we wait for official word, here's a compilation of "TDI sound".

R10 http://www.youtube.com/v/ChGGWY_CwO0 (http://www.youtube.com/v/ChGGWY_CwO0)

Just imagine if it sounded anything like the R10 race car, now how cooler could you get than that. An actual road car which sounded like it's race car cousin. :love2:

gabbby69006
January 6th, 2008, 10:50
I think that no R8 V12 TDi will be presented in detroit, but the R8 V10 Targa.

I think the V12 Tdi version is a big HOAX. The pictures are bad photoshops...

Gaby

gabbby69006
January 7th, 2008, 13:12
We have to consider that Porsche have tryed to kill the R8 project. Actually, I think the R8 doesn't have a twin turbo not for fire problem, but because it make the car too fast against the 911 Turbo and GT3-2.

Put a V10 TT in the R8 is not a so hard job. But Porsche is now near the total control of VAG. So, you'll never see again a such car like the R8. The R8 Mk2 will never exist.

My dream is that :
- polution rules make porsche unprofitable
- porsche and Audi fusion
- on line up of product, unification, integration of porsche product (boxter, cayenne, Carrera GT) as a Audi product - while Audi is to become a leading promium and sport car maker

But, this is only a dream...

Gaby

KresoF1
January 7th, 2008, 13:54
We have to consider that Porsche have tryed to kill the R8 project. Actually, I think the R8 doesn't have a twin turbo not for fire problem, but because it make the car too fast against the 911 Turbo and GT3-2.

Put a V10 TT in the R8 is not a so hard job. But Porsche is now near the total control of VAG. So, you'll never see again a such car like the R8. The R8 Mk2 will never exist.

My dream is that :
- polution rules make porsche unprofitable
- porsche and Audi fusion
- on line up of product, unification, integration of porsche product (boxter, cayenne, Carrera GT) as a Audi product - while Audi is to become a leading promium and sport car maker

But, this is only a dream...

Gaby

Porsche is keen in one big thing-profit making!

As long as R8 is selling as it is selling currently(waiting time over 1 year on most markets) NO worries about its future. In fact forthcoming V10 version will make things even little bit more easier for Audi IMO...

Porsche will introduce facelifted 997(Carrera and Carrera S) in May 2008. Facelifted 997 Turbo will follow at the end of 2008. What new? Minor exterior facelift, new DI engines, PDK...

Lamborghini will introduce facelifted Gallardo in Geneva(March)...

Porsche do not need to be worried about Audi or Lamborghini but, about its own not-so-good selling models-mainly Boxster/Cayman range. These models are IMHO way overpriced for their respective performance... Fully specd Cayman S cost more then BMW M3 Coupe(also fully specd)...

Audi future(and R8s future) is very bright IMHO. What they need to do IMO is to kill Bugatti and concentrate more on Lambo. Murci replacement needs to be true supersportscar. Facelifted Gallardo needs to be really different in character then R8(more raw and flashy, also marginally faster. Lambo pride is very important to its owners).

itisme
January 7th, 2008, 14:03
Porsche is keen in one big thing-profit making!

Audi future(and R8s future) is very bright IMHO. What they need to do IMO is to kill Bugatti and concentrate more on Lambo. Murci replacement needs to be true supersportscar. Facelifted Gallardo needs to be really different in character then R8(more raw and flashy, also marginally faster. Lambo pride is very important to its owners).

just to correct you, Bugatti is under the leadership of VW. Only Lamborghini belongs to Audi. Audi has nothing to do with the developements at Bugatti or Bentley. As far as I know, of course. They share technologies but thats business as usual in VAG.

KresoF1
January 7th, 2008, 14:11
just to correct you, Bugatti is under the leadership of VW. Only Lamborghini belongs to Audi. Audi has nothing to do with the developements at Bugatti or Bentley. As far as I know, of course. They share technologies but thats business as usual in VAG.

I was talking about Porsche not Audi or VW. Now, with full control over VAG they should kill Bugatti. Veyron did not make single Euro Cent and that is the fact.

HKS786
January 7th, 2008, 14:44
http://www.autozeitung.de/online/bildDB/98425_700.jpg

Thanks for the post, that looks HOT!

itisme
January 7th, 2008, 17:45
I was talking about Porsche not Audi or VW. Now, with full control over VAG they should kill Bugatti. Veyron did not make single Euro Cent and that is the fact.

oh, ok... sry for misunderstanding.

do you really think they should do that? I mean it's Bugatti, what a name!! I think they shouldn't kill Bugatti Well maybe the didn't make a cent on the Veyron yet, but it still sells, and you needn't put so much effort in the next gen (well, if there is one) or in brother veyron again. And Porsche sales aren't effected by Bugatti in any way. Brands like Bugatti should stay alive... we car enthusiasts and technicfreaks need something to dream of ;).

crespo
January 7th, 2008, 18:46
Every Veyron is sold, and VW knew from the start they wouldn't make a cent off of it.

Audiphile
January 8th, 2008, 16:52
Audi will unveil diesel supercar in Detroit

R8 concept aims to boost carmaker's image in US

<SCRIPT>queryvar="audi,will,unveil,diesel,supercar,in,detroit";</SCRIPT>
James Franey
Automotive News Europe
January 8, 14:14 CET
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>http://caimg.sv.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=CA&Date=20080108&Category=ANE02&ArtNo=368112999&Ref=AR&Profile=1115&maxw=100&border=0&Q=80</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>Audi will unveil a diesel version of the R8 in Detroit</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Audi will unveil a diesel concept of its R8 flagship coupe at the Detroit auto show. If built, the concept would be the world's first production diesel supercar.

An Audi insider told Automotive News Europe that an R8 concept will be shown at the show on Sunday. It is powered by a 500hp, V-12, 6.0-liter turbodiesel engine.

The executive, who did not want to be named, said Audi hopes the concept will help raise the carmaker's profile in North America.
This concept will give us an image boost in the US, said the executive. We think diesel engines have a very big future in this market, By 2015, we expect more than 15 percent of our cars sold in North America will be diesel cars.

With the R8 diesel, Audi also aims to show skeptics that it is possible to have powerful sports cars with diesel engines. In 2006, Audi's Le Mans racing team became the first to win the 24 Hours race with a diesel-powered car. Its racing team used an Audi R10 powered by a 650hp, 5.5-liter, V-12 diesel engine.The Audi executive said the R8 diesel could go into production if it receives a favorable reaction in Detroit.

Audi launched the R8 last May, priced at 104,400 euros in Germany. The R8 has a 420hp, 4.2-liter gasoline V-8 engine. Since its launch, the German automaker has sold 3,050 R8s worldwide.

Audi also will show a high performance version of its TT premium coupe in Detroit. The TT-S will use the same 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline engine as Audi's S3 entry-premium model, but with 280hp instead of 265hp.

:R8: :ttaddict:

bubsman
January 8th, 2008, 17:07
http://www.motorpasion.com/2008/01/08-exclusiva-tenemos-las-imagenes-del-audi-tts

TT-S OFFICIAL IMAGES!!

Good news: in one of the images you can see there is an automatic gearbox with paddles...that means: S3 here comes DSG!!!So hopefuly: New S3 with the new facelift, 272hp and DSG! GREAT!

Leadfoot
January 8th, 2008, 19:13
The Audi executive said the R8 diesel could go into production if it receives a favorable reaction in Detroit.

I think I heard that statement somewhere else...........:vhmmm: .....oh yeah, it was from me. ;)

Damienr8
January 8th, 2008, 19:34
http://www.motorpasion.com/2008/01/08-exclusiva-tenemos-las-imagenes-del-audi-tts

TT-S OFFICIAL IMAGES!!

Good news: in one of the images you can see there is an automatic gearbox with paddles...that means: S3 here comes DSG!!!So hopefuly: New S3 with the new facelift, 272hp and DSG! GREAT!

Looks official to me!!! 272 + DSG should be plenty of quick. Hopefully it's light!!!. Good job on finding these... :thumb:

Leadfoot
January 8th, 2008, 19:46
Looks official to me!!! 272 + DSG should be plenty of quick. Hopefully it's light!!!. Good job on finding these... :thumb:

A good estimate on how quick it will be, just look at the times of the S3, 0-60 in 5.6s and 0-100 in 13.6s and it weighs in excess of 100kgs more and doesn't have DSG (yet). So expect 60mph in 5.2s and 100mph in 12.4s.

Oh and it will be quicker than the S5 around the ring and any other circuit you care to mention.

MPT
January 8th, 2008, 21:11
A good estimate on how quick it will be, just look at the times of the S3, 0-60 in 5.6s and 0-100 in 13.6s and it weighs in excess of 100kgs more and doesn't have DSG (yet). So expect 60mph in 5.2s and 100mph in 12.4s.

Oh and it will be quicker than the S5 around the ring and any other circuit you care to mention.

How do you think it would compare to M3, RS 4 etc. on track?

Damienr8
January 8th, 2008, 21:24

Im thinking around those figures as well. I see magazines getting flat 5's to 60 and flat 12's to 100.

Well, the R8 should show it's face soon. I am soo interested to hear technical details.

Leadfoot
January 8th, 2008, 21:26
How do you think it would compare to M3, RS 4 etc. on track?

I think somewhere in between the S5 and the RS4 is my best guess. If you think about it, for a start the engine is lighter than the 3.2v6 so weight balance should be approaching 56/44 just like the S5 but only this time it's got the option of MagneticRide which is as good as DRCIII at controlling body roll. Tyre width isn't know as yet but could be the same as the S5 as it is the same design so if true the less weight both at the front and rear should mean grip is also greater.

I would go as far as to say on circuits where the straight are short enough to keep the top speed under 110mph the TT/S might be just as quick as the RS4. But on tracks like the ring where top speed is king I think a time of 8:20 is on the cards.

HKS786
January 8th, 2008, 22:23
Very interesting Leadie. I've really grown to like this new TT-S. ;)

+44 Dave
January 9th, 2008, 12:35
Anyone got some good resolution photos which aren't covered in hallmarks ? Looks like a good looking machine.
Then you throw in 5.2's and your away :hihi:
Interesting indeed !

Leadfoot
January 9th, 2008, 12:53
Anyone got some good resolution photos which aren't covered in hallmarks ? Looks like a good looking machine.
Then you throw in 5.2's and your away :hihi:
Interesting indeed !

Hey this is only an educated guess of mine and not official, I guess officially the figure will be around 5.4s for 0-100km/h (62.5mph). :thumb:

KresoF1
January 9th, 2008, 13:41
Actually it is 5.6s...

Leadfoot
January 9th, 2008, 14:22
Actually it is 5.6s...

I was only guessing when I said 5.4s and that was based on the TT3.2 S/Tronic being 5.7s for the 0-100km/h split and it's got about 100+Kgs of weight and 22hp and 35ft/lbs less.

If your figures are correct is it based on the S/Tronic box or the manual? If it the S/Tronic then those figures are very conservative becasue the normal TT3.2 S/Tronic is capable of posting 0-100km/h runs in the 5.4s.

Damienr8
January 9th, 2008, 15:22
Im definitely thinking that the official figure will be 5.3.

Audiphile
January 9th, 2008, 21:49

Actually that isn't exactly true. Audi is in charge of Bentley development of the next Flying Spur or its luxury sedan. The future A8L replacement and the Bentley will be sister cars with Audi developing both. Audi has played a big role in Bentley development since day one. Do you honestly think that Bentley by itself could be where it is today without the help of Audi? I don't think so. Ask Lambo.

Audiphile
January 9th, 2008, 21:53
Just imagine if it sounded anything like the R10 race car, now how cooler could you get than that. An actual road car which sounded like it's race car cousin. :love2:

If I am not mistaken, aren't the Audi Le Mans R10 racers devoid of any noise? The R10s are very hush on the track. That is why everyone states that it is very weird when the R10 blows by them...no noise!

Leadfoot
January 9th, 2008, 22:39
If I am not mistaken, aren't the Audi Le Mans R10 racers devoid of any noise? The R10s are very hush on the track. That is why everyone states that it is very weird when the R10 blows by them...no noise!

A misleading statement, of course the R10 has a noise but compared to the rest of the competition it sounds silent. It like going to a rock concert and someone in the corner is playing a violin, in comparison the violin can not be heard but the fact remains it is playing music, sweet music in fact.

itisme
January 9th, 2008, 22:48
Actually that isn't exactly true. Audi is in charge of Bentley development of the next Flying Spur or its luxury sedan. The future A8L replacement and the Bentley will be sister cars with Audi developing both. Audi has played a big role in Bentley development since day one. Do you honestly think that Bentley by itself could be where it is today without the help of Audi? I don't think so. Ask Lambo.

Sure Bentley needed and needs help. I always thought that VW did that. In fact, that is what i have been told and read so far. But I'm always open to learn more, so thx for teaching :thumb: And great news on A8 and Bentley being sisters.. sounds very promising for both. Guess that's the reason 3 or 4 Bentley Flying Sput are parked @ Audi Forum Ingolstadt,too (Audi owned).

Damienr8
January 9th, 2008, 22:52
So is everyone pretty confident that we will be seeing a Diesel R8? I for one have doubts, I think we could see the V10... Either way, I will not be disappointed!!! However recently, articles are pointing to the Diesel.

NA Debut: A4
Produciton Car: TTS
Concept: R8 V12 Diesel / R8 V10????

chewym
January 10th, 2008, 01:25
Audi reps have confirmed that there will be R8 V12 TDI to several American sources.

crespo
January 10th, 2008, 14:13
"to several American sources." ?? please explain. The TDI will be at Detroit, but I don't understand what you just said there.

PeterJohn
January 10th, 2008, 15:38
"to several American sources." ?? please explain. The TDI will be at Detroit, but I don't understand what you just said there.

Probably that several Americans have heard from Audi reps that the car is real, and they spread the word.

crespo
January 10th, 2008, 15:41
thanks, got it now. strange sentence structure.

tvrfan
January 10th, 2008, 16:33
No its not sure now that the R8 TDI ever will be build. audi will wait about feedback and THEN they decide to build it or not. source "automotorundsport"

ZeroCool
January 10th, 2008, 23:44
i'm sure that the feedback will be very good ... and that this care will make it into production...

tvrfan
January 11th, 2008, 11:18
i hope :)