PDA

View Full Version : New TT-RS with inline 5 cylinder turbo

tvrfan
December 20th, 2007, 13:03
source new auto motor und sport magazin.

new TT-RS is getting the 2.5l 5 cylinder engine from the america jettas. with turbo it will put out a power of 340PS.

the fact audi didnt build the engine herself and just grab it out from a jetta pissed me of. audi have to build their engines herself. i hate that that they just took engines from VW and adding a turbocharger. :nono: :nana:

Rage
December 20th, 2007, 13:05
Why so angry:brag:?!

Edit: Actually i can see where you're coming from......kinda reinforces the rebadged VW image.

Still its performance that matters if indeed that is the TTRS engine.

tvrfan
December 20th, 2007, 13:08
ups wrong forum ;-).

because i dont like VW so much and that audi use now so much VW engines for base. thats what i hate. i think always when you got such a car. i would always think i have an "modified VW engine" i dont like that. i just like self build engines. like the V10 from audi or the V8.

PeterJohn
December 20th, 2007, 14:21
Well, it's not "the same engine". It will just use parts that would've been the same even if they designed the engine from scratch. The architecture of that Jetta 2.5, by the way, is based on the Gallardo.

If they were to start from scratch, and design a 5cyl block with all that entails (suppliers, logistics, factories, training workers at said factories),... they would still end up with the 5cyl block of the Jetta. Only much more expensive, because the R&D money is of the low production number. Not to mention, it would take them a lot more time to take to market.

Mr Balsen
December 20th, 2007, 14:29
5 cylinders 2.5l has been at Audi for long time...

In diesel for VW Van.
In non-diesel at Hohenester and other tuners for Audi RS2 upgrades...

Frederic

ZeroCool
December 20th, 2007, 14:38
and why should audi invest thousands of euros and a lot of time, to develop a new engine, when they can use the basic parts from this engine?! ;)

Mr Balsen
December 20th, 2007, 14:54
For memory, the V10 currently used is 2 x Audi 5 cylinders engine. And not forgetting the 5 cylinders engine is the VW 1.8l + 1 piston...

Frederic

AndyBG
December 20th, 2007, 17:58
I just don't see ANY reason for so much frustration, VW and Audi are one company as far as I know for them, that didn't hapend yesterday... :confused:

Lateknight
December 20th, 2007, 19:37
I don't think there will be anything to worry about.
There will be very little parts sharing in common between U.S VW 2.5 and an Audi developed unit. Probably all they will share will be a few internal dimensions and probably the oil filter !!
The current 2.5 isn't even Fsi. That would have to be developed for the engine along with new cylinder head. Lower compression pistons and a new re-inforced block, stronger crank etc. I could go on.
IF the engine does exist have no worries that it will be an AUDI unit perhaps very loosely based on the VW unit to save on tooling costs.

The reason I mention IF, is because IMO the engine is quite long and to fit comfortably alongside an 02Q quattro transmission would take some engine bay surgery (ie widening the chassis, not just the track)
Be interesting to see what happens.:harass:

Thread needs moving to the TT/S3 section

Lateknight
December 20th, 2007, 19:43
For memory, the V10 currently used is 2 x Audi 5 cylinders engine. And not forgetting the 5 cylinders engine is the VW 1.8l + 1 piston...

Frederic

I believe you might be referring to the Touareg V10 tdi which is based on the architechture of 2x Transporter/Touareg 2.5tdi engines in a V.
That Tdi V10 even has 2 engine ECUs, one for each bank of cylinders.

The U.S 2.5 has the same bore/stroke as the current 2.0 4cyl.
The Old 2226cc Audi 5cyl (pre 1991) was based on the 1.8.

Sorry - I'm just nitpicking.

RussianM3_dude
December 20th, 2007, 20:00
Well, Audi is German Lexus. Why is everybody surprised?

Leadfoot
December 20th, 2007, 20:12

And BMW is Germany's Alfa Romeo..........all the passion and just as reliable. :lovl: :lovl:

+44 Dave
December 20th, 2007, 23:10
source new auto motor und sport magazin.

new TT-RS is getting the 2.5l 5 cylinder engine from the america jettas. with turbo it will put out a power of 340PS.

the fact audi didnt build the engine herself and just grab it out from a jetta pissed me of. audi have to build their engines herself. i hate that that they just took engines from VW and adding a turbocharger. :nono: :nana:

You will almost definately not be able to tell the difference between an Audi engine and a VW engine in an Audi. If they had said its an Audi built 2.5 and it was VW built you wouldnt have even noticed. Partly because i doubt you even have an intentions of buying a TT RS...

VW are a pretty cracking engine builder and know what they are doing, they produce highly reliable engines just look at the W12 or the bloody W16 in the Veyron (VW built) Add the finishing touches from Audi and you've got a highly capable motor.

Stop being so fussy.

+44 Dave
December 20th, 2007, 23:11

Has M3_dude been banned ? :confused:

Erik
December 20th, 2007, 23:13
Has M3_dude been banned ? :confused:

Yes, that is correct. He got his third and final warning tonight.

Benman
December 21st, 2007, 00:09
Out of 900+ posts, I think he had @ 3 that were polite. ;)

Ben:addict:

raulg
December 21st, 2007, 01:54
Out of 900+ posts, I think he had @ 3 that were polite. ;)

Ben:addict:

I just noticed, you got thousands of posts .. same with Erik, Leadfoot and others .. wow you guys write a lot :)

Leadfoot
December 21st, 2007, 09:04
To tell you the truth I couldn't care less if he was here continuously posting his crap but when he posted that picture (you all know the one I mean) that was the final straw as far as I was concerned.

Thanks Erik, nice one. :cheers:

Rage
December 21st, 2007, 11:55
Lol.....what picture??

Leadfoot
December 21st, 2007, 13:24
Lol.....what picture??

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116663&postcount=39

Need I say more.:nono:

The Pretender
December 21st, 2007, 17:12
I believe i read some where that Quattro GmbH confirmed that they are developing a 310 hp 2.3 litre five cylinder engine.
The old atmo inline five's are 2.3 liter and the turbo one's are 2.1 or 2.2 litre.
There are even rumours that say the new 5 will be a 1.8TFSI with 1 pot more that make's it a 2.2475 litre inline 5 TFSI engine.
But a 2.3 can also be a VR5 VW engine.

Jarod.

RXBG
December 21st, 2007, 19:46
To tell you the truth I couldn't care less if he was here continuously posting his crap but when he posted that picture (you all know the one I mean) that was the final straw as far as I was concerned.

Thanks Erik, nice one. :cheers:

you know, you can tease all you want and poke fun via being a closet audi hater. you can even pretend to be from switzerland (it hink he is american).

but you've crossed the line when you make fun of people with disabilities who suffer them through no fault of their own. there is nothin funny about that picture. i am glad i didn't see that post. it would have really made me angry. whoever he is.... he is a dirtbag. a complete dirtbag of a human being.

btw- HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!! to all you guys from this side of the pond. from balmy orlando, FL!

hope you have your health, peace, and safe driving :snow:

Damienr8
December 21st, 2007, 22:12
Merry Christmas to everyone!!! I hope you all stay safe and have an enjoyable holiday.

tvrfan
December 21st, 2007, 23:56
merry christmas from germany, bavaria. too. i wish you a good new year. healthy. and save driving.

The Pretender
December 22nd, 2007, 08:46
This is a TT RS 5 tread not a christmas wish Thread.
Before we know it we look at 20 pages christmas wishes. :nono:

Jarod.

Leadfoot
December 22nd, 2007, 09:18
This is a TT RS 5 tread not a christmas wish Thread.
Before we know it we look at 20 pages christmas wishes. :nono:

Jarod.

OH HUMBUG.:vgrumpy:

tvrfan
December 22nd, 2007, 11:47
^^ its christmas, time to love each other :D