PDA

View Full Version : OnStar ---> Blue Tooth

BLITZEN
December 19th, 2007, 17:55
Does anyone here know exactly how to convert the RS6's OnStar system into a blue tooth hands-free cell kit? I know it can be done, and read a bit about it on a electronics tech forum somewhere. It seems to be fairly simple since the speaker and mic are already built in.

skiwi
December 19th, 2007, 18:47
i assume you have an rns-e unit???

i installed my bt from scratch (and didnt have onstar). but it would be striaght forward. leave the mic in place (onstar should use the stereo speakers) and rip and replace. the key to integrating the bt module is coding it correctly to the rns-e...

DuckWingDuck
December 19th, 2007, 18:52
http://stores.vagnav.com/Detail.bok?no=15

BLITZEN
December 19th, 2007, 21:08
No I don't have RNS-E. My nav is the older style, diplayed between the speedo and tach, without a lcd screen. I see from Duckwing's attachment that it requires a $469 kit?! Plus you have to have RNS-E?!

So I guess I'll have to start by getting RNS-E, huh? If so, what's the best way to go about it?

DuckWingDuck
December 19th, 2007, 21:52
RNS-E is going to run you about $1,500, unit only. http://www.navplus.us. I've not yet taken the plunge as you can see, it will set you back $2K for parts alone when you can get an aftermarket system for around half the price installed with a BT unit..

RS6-4dr911
December 20th, 2007, 03:25
I am in the process of installing an RNS-E with BT (already had OnStar as do most if not all RS6's). Forget about trying to justify it dollar wise. DuckWing's right. The Pioneer unit AVIC D3 ( I think) has great features, better nav system and can be installed along with BT integrated for around $1400 all-in. But it's not stock, and looks it, no matter how hard people try.

I just had to have OEM, so I prowled on eBay, struck out a few times, took a chance and bought one from someone with decent feedback, bought the BT conversion kit and harness from NSX Jr (see the NavPlus links) and hope that when I open it all on Christmas, all works well. (of course it won't but I'm mentally prepared) All-in, I'm at around $1700. But if you took a safer route, would be at around $2000+ as stated above. Makes no sense, I know. But neither does owning a 450HP beast to go back and forth to job sites less than a few miles from my house.
But God it's fun.

RS6 POWER
December 20th, 2007, 11:31
If you ar looking to only use your cell phone go with the Parrot system...heres the link;
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=280050&i=333CK3100B&search=parro&tp=158

Best Regards,
Manuel

jtessman
January 7th, 2008, 16:30
Hey 4d911 - I too ordered the bluetooth kit from NSX Jr. I haven't had time to install it yet (just got back from vacation ski trip) and was wondering how you faired? Lee's notes look pretty good.

I thought I saw a Dayton in a lot on the south side of I-10 around Campbell - is that you?

Rgds...

RS6-4dr911
January 7th, 2008, 16:35
Tessman,

send me a PM

skiwi
January 7th, 2008, 19:34
Hey 4d911 - I too ordered the bluetooth kit from NSX Jr. I haven't had time to install it yet (just got back from vacation ski trip) and was wondering how you faired? Lee's notes look pretty good.

I thought I saw a Dayton in a lot on the south side of I-10 around Campbell - is that you?

Rgds...

btdt with nsx jr - you won't have any problems...

Copper
January 8th, 2008, 22:38
Ditto about Lee. He has done the RNS-E installs on both of my RS6s. He's the best when it comes to this system. Also, the Bluetooth wireless system SUCKs so don't say I didn't warn you. I got constant complaints about the sound quality from the person on the other end of the cell phone connection so I always had to take the car off of the Bluetooth speaker phone system. Also, the phone would constantly connect and disconnect while in standby mode. Ultimately I went back to a Bluetooth headset and have not had any complaints or issues.

Expect to pay $3000 for everything installed: RNS-E Nav, Bluetooth, XM Sat, ICE-Link iPod interface and DVD Nav software.

Worth every penny.

skiwi
January 8th, 2008, 23:35
just a note on the audi bt sound quality. it is excellent provided the phone integrates. a number of well-known phones do fully integrate (contacts, sent/received calls etc), but some don't have these festires but will use the bt kit as a handsfree kit, other phones will not integrate at all. you are now within the realms of software and dependent upon various vendors adherance to standards.

fwiw, my blackberry integrates with excellent sound quality, but i don't get sent/received calls (gets contacts). my old s/e 990 fully integrated and gave much better sound quality than i got with the wired car kit - i just didn't like the phone much...

RS6-4dr911
January 9th, 2008, 04:22
I got mine installed and working fully (sort of) tonight. I've had differing comments on sound quality - seems to depend greatly on the call itself.

FWIW, my Treo 650 seems to behave as promised - speed dial numbers, no contacts, full call history. No problems connecting/disconnecting. Worth it? ehh, mebbe not. Kind of cool feature but for $500 worth of parts and a bitch of a time rewiring the plugs, may not do it again.

skiwi
January 9th, 2008, 09:50
i would strongly recommend that you purchase the wiring loom as well, the plugs are fiddly, the wiring connections required are difficult - much better to get this supplied for you. i did the install myself using nsxjr's kit (told him what i needed (bt, ipod) and he supplied the wiring already made up) and had the full system operational in 3 hours. the hardest bit was removing the symphony ii. that took a week of trial and error...