PDA

View Full Version : The HIGHs and lows of Recaro's + airbag bypass

HeadShot
December 19th, 2007, 02:10
Don't take this the wrong way... i love my new OEM Recaros for reasons my wife will never understand - like the laterial support in hard corners so my spin isn't snapping after 30mins in the US seats, the comfort - which just feels so right, and yeah... Recaro RS6 seats are not that common!
But getting them was a bitch.
I wanted Blk with the white piping... found a set on Ebay.de for 2500EUR. To rich for me so i watched the auction end with no bids. Contacted the seller and got him down to 2400EUR(including shipping) and i need a hood so 300EUR and that was included. Nice.
NOT... He won't take any payment but a cashiers cheque... so i pay because i like to believe in mankind ("i am a sucker") He then says the shipping quote he received from his guys is wrong and it will be 500EUR more. I say just send the cash back and all is good. Response - you brought them, they are yours now and you can pick them up or whatever.
FF 9 months go by getting this done... then i go to a friend (German detective). I email the seller and say the Int. Fraud Dep is about to receive all his email to me and it will be out of my hands.. He's toast.
1 Month later i am paying an LA customers broker to get my seats and hood through customs at LAX.
Result.... Not Quite... No hood. Nothing i can do. He says it was shipped / from packaging i say BS. What can you do.

Seat install// Search this site for Recaro install on excellent details on how to remove / install seats. The following info is extra and i think helpful.

Disconect battery before you begin seat removal. I did one at a time then reconnected bat. to confirm AirBag light was not on.
No airbags came in the front seats (this is the norm i believe) so you need to bypass the airbag circuit in the seat.(or find OEM Recaro bags - good luck) AIRBAG=Yellow Plug. This is really easy...I removed the Yellow plug end from my US seats but you can get them from audi (advised) get a 4.7 Ohm 1/2W 5% resistor and insert across the plug holes that match the blue and white wire ends- NOT THE BROWN ONE). Male end is from the seat, thats where the resistor goes in, then plug into the floor plug after securing the resistor in place. Solder or tape.
You also have to swap the seat belt (female) unit from the side of the US seat to the REcaro..There is a star type bolt securing this to the seat that is not a TORX. I used the dremal to square two sides to fit a 3/4 spanner and it came off / on o.k without damaging anything.
It has some wires that you must remove from the stock RED plug and match to the Recaro Plug. They have barb's and are a bitch to get out. My advice - use a dremal tool to cut the red plug up till you get the wires out then replace that plug on the stock seat. Mark the wires with tape and the number they come from before removing them.
So switch those out and your done.

Rear seats... No worries although the center seatbelt was cut, I don't care and it does not effect any warning systems. To fix is a major so make sure you know what your getting.When removing the stock there is no need to cut so Don't.. just unbolt it.
I left the side cushions in place that have the airbags in them.. so that system was intack.

So thats about it.. will include some pics. Wanted people to know what your getting into with this project.

Final thoughts:

Get the seats from Stephen ( mcmuli ) on this site. People know him and all says good things - you can trust him.

Ask about airbags and that rear seat belt. See Audi for 2 X yellow airbag connectors and 2 X red connectors
recaro actually sells the conector bypass so you can fit after market.
Contact nd4spdhksupra@hotmail.com, i found him on a VW forum and he has two complete sets (packaged - pics RECARO connectors) for $50 shipped in the US.

IF SHOPPING ON GERMAN EBAY.DE
DO NOT BUY from this guy...

Koellnik@aol.com

Peace to all... unleash the beast. :burnout:

aarong
December 20th, 2007, 07:04
I would LOVE to see how it looks as I've been contemplating the Recaro upgrade since I got my beast.

DuckWingDuck
December 20th, 2007, 16:05
Totally, especially having done the julian run once already, I am totally sold on recaross, the time & cost though...