PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear tests 997's, GT2 vs. GT3. vs Turbo.

Ruergard
December 13th, 2007, 19:29
This is a good one.. Love the start! :applause: :applause:

Read and ejoy..!

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2007/12/stories/06/1.html

AndyBG
December 14th, 2007, 00:04
Thanks for this one ! :thumb:

Audifan92
December 14th, 2007, 02:38
Thanks it was awsome!

Ruergard
December 15th, 2007, 15:39
Thanks for this one ! :thumb:

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Can't wait for Jeremy or Tiff to drive the GT2, 2008 will be a very interesting year... :hahahehe:

Klint
December 15th, 2007, 15:41
Sad to see the 997 GT2 doesn't stand up the widowmaker title given to the 996, as this is exactly what the 'GT2' model is about.

Leadfoot
December 16th, 2007, 08:47
Sad to see the 997 GT2 doesn't stand up the widowmaker title given to the 996, as this is exactly what the 'GT2' model is about.

And Klint, you think that is a bad thing do you that Porsche has finally given the GT2 to chassis which can now deploy all of it's output without throwing you tail first off the road at the first corner you take with any true commitment.:doh:

Fab
December 16th, 2007, 09:00
That is just the best of the best :bow:

Klint
December 16th, 2007, 09:56
And Klint, you think that is a bad thing do you that Porsche has finally given the GT2 to chassis which can now deploy all of it's output without throwing you tail first off the road at the first corner you take with any true commitment.:doh:
Leadie,

That's what made the previous gen so desireable as a poster car! Cars like those are becoming increasingly rare from factories.

Anyway, after some mild tweeks to the GT2 suspension you'd have yourself a well sorted road car.

Leadfoot
December 16th, 2007, 10:31
Anyway, after some mild tweeks to the GT2 suspension you'd have yourself a well sorted road car.

Well isn't it considerate of Porsche to sort the suspension this time round and save everyone the effort and expense of doing it themselves.:D

Klint
December 16th, 2007, 17:48
Well isn't it considerate of Porsche to sort the suspension this time round and save everyone the effort and expense of doing it themselves.:D
But then that compromises the track ability somewhat and requires the owner to do the opposite for the track set-up, that's what you buy the GT2 for - the track.

You just don't get the 'Woah, i can enter le mans with this car' vibes from the 997 GT2 as you did with the 996 GT2.

+44 Dave
December 16th, 2007, 19:53
But then that compromises the track ability somewhat and requires the owner to do the opposite for the track set-up, that's what you buy the GT2 for - the track.

You just don't get the 'Woah, i can enter le mans with this car' vibes from the 997 GT2 as you did with the 996 GT2.

Have you driven them both ? :bigeyes:

Leadfoot
December 16th, 2007, 20:25

Please tell me, what is the difference in times between the 996 GT2 and the 997 GT2 around the ring because I actually don't know which is quicker.;)

As I have never driven either of them I am basing my opinion on others (namely magazine reviews), but everyone of them are rating the new the much better car for one reason or another.:looking:

Klint
December 17th, 2007, 19:35
Leadie,

You need to remember the 997 GT2 has more power than the outgoing model plus comes standard with Pilot Sport Cup tyres, so you should expect it to be faster around 'ring.

Plus, why have a new model that's slower than the outgoing model, that wouldn't make sense would it now?

Klint
December 17th, 2007, 19:37
Have you driven them both ? :bigeyes:
996 GT2 once and for a short trip around the block, enough to realise the clutch pedal is far heavier than the 996 Turbo clutch pedal. :)

Guaranteed, the 997 GT2 is a little too user friendly for it's own good and should be called the 'Turbo RS'.

How i see it when it comes to Porsches - the GT2 name should remind us of what Porsche 911s use to be like when the 964 Turbo and the likes were around, this makes each drive an experience, a sensation to be remembered, as you never forget a scary drive. Fear makes the adventure exciting and the new GT2 should just be that, a 'widowmaker'.

Ricoloco
December 17th, 2007, 20:23
I really really really need to get a GT3 this spring. :revs: :jlol: