PDA

View Full Version : Audi RS 6 vs. Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG

Kain
June 15th, 2003, 12:02
I know this is an Audi RS 6 forum, but I still wanted to ask what makes the Audi RS 6 a "better car" than the Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG? The RS 6 also costs more than the E55 AMG, it it worth the extra money? If so, why?

Erik
June 15th, 2003, 12:04
We recently discussed that...

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1361

Kain
June 15th, 2003, 12:08
I have read that thread, but it kinda went "off-topic" in the middle. :p

rsjoe
June 15th, 2003, 17:00
First of all let me say that before the 03 makeover I wouldn't touch a MB. In 03 they went to rack and pinion steering and the adjustable airmatic suspension and upgraded the interiors significantly including the HK sound system. I traded my M5 for an E500 to use as a testbed as to how viable the E55 would be. In 7000 miles the car has been flawless and I don't regret selling the M5. IMHO the most significant difference between MB and BMW is the feel of the ride. MB's are more isolated from the road, give more of the feel of a "luxury" ride while BMW's give more feedback via road and engine noises and thus the perception of sportiness. Audi seems to fall somewhere in between. The price of the RS6 is absurd relative to the competition. IMO the base price should be a couple of thousand more than the M5. I passed on an 03E55 because it was so close to the end of the model year and the nav won't be available until the 04 model year. My E55 won't be delivered till Jan 04 and I have an RS6 coming next week. Finally, go to the MBWorld forum and see how much more enthusiastic the new E55 owners are than the owners are on this board. Of course currently most owners on this board are British and if it isn't soccer related it's hard for them to get excited. :roll:

Erik
June 15th, 2003, 18:27
Not talking owners now but...

Actually, about 30% of those who visit RS6.com every day are from North America.
The british are on 5:th place only after Sweden, Neatherlands and Germany. :deal:

Benman
June 16th, 2003, 15:36
rsjoe,

mb owners MORE enthusiastic???:confused:
obviously your not reading the american posts. because if you
were, you would see all of us going crazy waiting for the RS6 to
get here.:cheers:

Ben:addict: :addict:

rsjoe
June 16th, 2003, 18:36
I was referring to current owners and drivers of both! There are no rs6 drivers in the usa yet but there have been several european posters. I should be test driving an RS6 by early next week and I have sat in and started up an E55. I currently own an E500 as a test bed, so I'll keep you posted. The ability to drive 186mph seems to be a big issue in Germany. I want to hear more about how the ride "feels". One thing I did notice on videos of the speedometer during hard acceleration is that once it hit approx 100mph the rate of increase seems to drop dramatically. Throttle response is also another issue I want to experience first hand.

Erik
June 16th, 2003, 18:51
Originally posted by rsjoe
One thing I did notice on videos of the speedometer during hard acceleration is that once it hit approx 100mph the rate of increase seems to drop dramatically.

Take a closer look at the RS6 speedo. The gradings are about twice as close after ~130 km/h which makes the needle go slower.