PDA

View Full Version : toluene anyone?

peiserg
December 10th, 2007, 00:39
anyone here used it? I'm tired of having to put this craptastic 91 octane in my car. whenever the 100oct goes in..woohoo!

Anyone with toluene comments? ratios to use? anything else you need to add? how often can i use it?

cheers.

jorge jimenez pedro de jesus III.

Boosted-Bora
December 10th, 2007, 00:56
my friend uses it in his stage 3 s4 ill ask him what kind of mix he uses and get back to you

rs-mad
December 10th, 2007, 07:38
My opinion - Waste of time as I tried it on my RS6 at a 25% blend ( 25% Toluene 75% V-Power Racing 100). Didnt notice any improvement over 100% V-Power Racing 100 both driving impression and vag-com logging.

Also it is to expensive to be a back yard option well here anyway, 5L is $20 i can get 20L VP Racing Fuel for $100 and its RON+MON/2 is 100

RS-MAD

Mr Balsen
December 10th, 2007, 10:26
Toluene ! ! !

You need special mapping to take advantage of it. It also depends how much toluene you put in the tank...
But Formule one used to run 80% toluene. 1.5 liters, over 1000 hp. Do the math...

I saw once a red S2 running on toluene. Engine made by Lehman. A monster which was chewing valves like crazy...

Frederic

Frederic

peiserg
December 11th, 2007, 21:27
well, to clarify...

I normally use 4-5 gal of 100 octane in the car to boost my rating to 93. Around here 100 oct is $6-7/gal.

What i'd like to do is use 2 gallons of toluene (if it is really $7-8/gal) instead of 5 gallons of race gas. I'm not shooting for an octane of 110. I'm shooting for 93-97.

rs-mad
December 11th, 2007, 21:38
Frederic,

I understand all that but my RS runs a custom tune with more timing that normal and as such I can only run the V-Power Racing 100+ more details here - http://autoweb.autospeed.com/cms/A_108935/article.html .

When I added the toluene and took the car for a drive to let the ecu adapt and then logged my timing curve it was alot more "erratic" that with just V-Power 100.

Peiserg - As stated above that was my aim also.

RS-MAD

peiserg
December 12th, 2007, 00:29
Frederic,

I understand all that but my RS runs a custom tune with more timing that normal and as such I can only run the V-Power Racing 100+ more details here - http://autoweb.autospeed.com/cms/A_108935/article.html .

When I added the toluene and took the car for a drive to let the ecu adapt and then logged my timing curve it was alot more "erratic" that with just V-Power 100.

Peiserg - As stated above that was my aim also.

RS-MAD

how do you log and interpret the timing? How can I tell (via the timing) if the fuel is makign a difference?

rs-mad
December 12th, 2007, 02:13
Using vag-com log MB 003, then graph this using excel, If you get stuck here PM me and I will graph the data for you.

You will have a U-Curve that is shows most advance during Low/High RPM.

Best to log using standard fuel and then "race mix" if the fuel is better you should have a higher advance number across the entire curve or at least less/smaller retardation dip's which are the small dips in the curve usually in the Mid/High RPM range.

To give you an idea with race fuel my logs show 4-6 Degrees more across 3000-4500rpm and 7-10 Degrees 4500-redline and virtually no "retardation", this is when comparing Shell V-Power 100 against VP Racing 100.

Also to do it properly you need to be consistent with your logging ie technique and temperature/humidy.

I use 3rd gear in tip-mode with WOT (Full Throttle) from 2000-redline.

NB: The improvements are greater on tuned car's but improvements will be noticed on standard car's also, to make the most of a better fuel you need a custom tune as stated by Frederic as some fuel are very high in 02 and may cause lean/rich conditions as the ECU tries to compensate.

RS-MAD

scottmandu
December 12th, 2007, 14:23
I've used Butyl Alcohol (butanol) and it's show a pretty decent improvement however at 8 dollars per gallon, it's rather expensive.

The problem with tolulene is it's a very slow burning fuel, and can cause your cats to melt down due to the excessive hydrocarbons entering the exhaust.