PDA

View Full Version : RS6 for daily driver? But considering others

jpalmerm
December 8th, 2007, 01:00
Right now we just have a Nissan Titan and a Saab Viggen. I am getting a new car as a daily driver and wanted your opinion.

I am considering a 2003 RS6, the 05'-06' AMG G55 (supercharged version), and possibly a new 08' Jeep SRT8. I live in a snowy climate and put less then 10k miles a year on my cars. I will be getting rid of the Viggen but we will be keeping the truck to tow our boat. I really don't need a SUV type of vehicle but I like having a very different daily driver to my track/fun car. The G55 also seems so classic and rugged, but I like the styling and 450hp the RS6 can offer.

I do frequent lapping days and auto-x events but will be looking at getting a more dedicated track/autox car like a E46M3 with a supercharger or a Viper GTS, Z06 etc in the spring/summer.

Any advice or experiences to help in my decision? BTW I looked at a RS4 a few weeks ago at the dealer and it was awesome but for the price of one RS4 I can almost get a G55 and a Z06...

The wife and I have had a wide range of cars over the years in this order:

87' Subaru GL
90' Accord
91' Civic
94' Jetta GLS
89' Corvette
87' Wrangler
95' Pathfinder SE
96 Integra GSR
98' Grand Cherokee V8
93' Acua Legend
99' M3
03' Jeep Rubicon
01' S4
02' Factory Five Cobra
99' AMG C43
03' Suburban 2500
84' 533i
00' Saab Viggen
07' Nissan Titan

Antagonist
December 8th, 2007, 01:12
I think the RS6 makes the ideal daily driver. It literally does everything extremely well. All weather traction, plenty of power with plenty of room to "grow" if that's what you're into, comfortable ride, spacious, still exclusive, and so far very mechanically sound. This is my only car and the only reason I'm thinking of picking up another vehicle is because I want to do some off-roading. I usually go through cars like I go through women, but I'm still very much in love with mine after 3 years. No contest...:addict:

AndyBG
December 8th, 2007, 02:08
RS 6, all the way, but I'm afraid that is the only answer you can get here, it is the RS6.COM, after all... :D

E 55 AMG is sweet ride, I must ad, but if you are in some heavy winter region, RS 6 with some good performance winter tyres is much more useful...

AudiRS6JD
December 8th, 2007, 07:26
Go with the RS6...I put less than 10k on it a year, since I also drive an A6 and an S4 sometimes. The RS6 is perfect for a snowy climate and it is wicked fast; I would recommend Michelin PS2s to be put on the car, as they perform well in all weather conditions, and since they provide the RS6 with a very smooth ride. Both the other cars you mentioned are very nice as well, but from my experience, I have driven the SRT-8 and ridden in the E55 AMG, they do not come close to the all-round performance and luxury of the '03 RS6.

ZCD2.7T
December 8th, 2007, 15:52
The RS 6 does SO many things SO well it's really amazing.

You can find faster cars in a straight line, but none of them are any good in the winter.

You can find quicker cars around a track, but few of them are any good as daily drivers.

You can find more luxurious cars, but none of them come close to the well-rounded capabilities of the RS 6.

The only thing I'd add is that I'd buy one that's CPO if at all possible.

How could you go wrong with the RS 6?

DuckWingDuck
December 8th, 2007, 18:53
To be honest, you can't really go wrong with an E55 or RS6. I ride in my friend's E55 a lot and Merc is the master of the interior appointment. Another thing is, if you're looking for a track car, def. go for the Z06, it'll blow a RS6 away.

Copper
December 8th, 2007, 19:10
1. I went through this as well and choose the RS6.

2. You will HATE the SRT8. Take it for a drive. You need a kidney belt the ride is so harsh. I had a deposit down on a black one when they first came out. I can put more stuff in my RS6 with the rear folding seats and the back seats in the RS6 are roomier with really great footwells that have "valleys" for under the front seats so your rear passengers have plenty of area even if the front seats are all the way to the floor. My rear seat passengers are always commenting on the room back there. Lastly, holy plastic Jeep! The SRT8 is one big ugly plastic interior. It's also slower and eats up way more fuel. If you are highway driving, the turbos are not working and the RS6 is just a V8 cruising. I have had as much as 24MPG on long trips to Florida.

3. AMG E55. Nice looking, but still it's a dussied up Caddy really. Fast in the straights, not so nice in the twisties. If you Auto-X at all you won't see any AMGs out there at all. Rear wheel drive won't get you there in the bad weather either. I'm not saying the RS6 is a better choice tha say an S4 or RS4 for a track slut, but it is way better than a MB AMG anything (with the exception of the new AMG C63 Black Series... yummy!)

4. My RS6 is the daily driver. I have other hobby cars. The car is about a 9 on a scale of 1-10. Comfortable for very long drives (I drive all over the Southeast with 5-8+ hour one way trips and the seats, power, ride are all very nice. If you hit some rough areas on the road, you will feel it but not like most supercars. I upgraded to the RNS-E Navigation system and now the car is near perfect with iPOD interface, Bluetooth, XM, FM/AM, (2) SD slots to play MP3s, and a GREATLY improved sound over the stock system.

5. I also use my RS6 for business. It does not offend anyone and very few clients know what the car is. The few that have recognized it have become instant friends since they are also "car people". It's stealthy as well, most of the time cops will ignore you and it's fun to take out the unsuspecting Mustang or 'Vette around town. I had a car load of people with full luggage, etc. In the passenger seat my client was a Porsche guy and kept trying to get me to race people coming back from a business trip in TN. He was like a little kid. So were the back seat passengers (since the boss was). At one point cruising around 80MPH a modded C6 came flying up, saw the badge, slowed down and gave a double thumbs up and a pointed finger forward. At 80MPH I dropped it to "Sport" and was gone so fast that it even scared me a little when I looked down at the speed we were moving. No Corvette in sight. I slowed down, he pulled up and gave me the "holy wow" look and wanted to go again. So we started off again just in time for my built in K40 radar/laser detector jammer to go nuts. Cops on top of the bridge. The Corvette was pulled over even though both of us were in the "go to jail" speed zone. With the detector I was slowing way down while the 'Vette was speeding up. It looked like he was screaming by me though I'm sure they choose to clock him instead of me regadless. They ignored the Avus Silver 4-door and popped the 2 door yellow 'Vette. Sorry buddy.

6. Last point. The RS6 is PRACTICAL. Yes, I said it. 4 doors? check. AWD? check. Automatic? check. 60/40 folding rear seats? check. Ski pass through? check (though who cares really when the seats fold down?). Comfy interior? check, check, check. Average fuel consumption? Check (though uses only high-octane.. ouch). Sunroof, navigation, leather, carbon fiber (or wood), map pockets, center storage/armrest, airebags (side and front with options for the rear), awesome exhaust note (with the Sport), quiet cabin at speed, power interior everything (except rain sensing wipers and auto headlights which is weird) with one touch up and down windows (all 4). Good looking with nice wheel arches and sublime looks (trust me, valets still know that this is a special car... The all park it out front and I valet for business dinners all the time at nice places)... 8 (yes eight!) piston front brakes...check, check, check, check....

So what the hell more do you want out of a car?

Audi USA better import the RS6 Sedan (Saloon to my Europe peeps) or I'm seriously going to wonder what car will even come close.

I am on my second RS6 with every intention of replaceing my first one with a 2007-2008 newer sedan. I test drove 12-15 different cars over a 3 month period and nothing (even the E63) came close to the checklist I had for a car. So I bought another Avus Silver with Black interior RS6 with the lowest miles and best condition I could find. $53k for a 2003 RS6 that had 22k miles and 4 year extended warranty is a bit more than what the market is averaging, but I could not be happier with the decision to get another one. I usually rotate cars every 2 years but I plan on keeping this one until a. The new RS6 is available in the US or b. Something really perfect comes out that fits the bill. I have a feeling I'll be waiting awhile.

Good luck with your decision. Most everyone here will say go for the RS6 since (duh!) you are asking a bunch of RS6 owners if you should buy one. Kind of like asking a Jets fan if you should by season tickets to see the Jets. In my case I was moving away from the RS6 but came back after many months of research and actual test drives (I had the AMG E63 for a full weekend since the manager saw what I drove up in... he even said that I might be dissapointed.. he drove an RS4 himself so we bonded).

:rs6kiss:

AndyBG
December 9th, 2007, 02:21
After this post, ^^^ we can close the thread, you said it all !

:addict:

jpalmerm
December 9th, 2007, 03:55
I was actually refering to the AMG Gelandewagen SUV (boxy thing) its called the G55 and has the same 479hp Supercharged motor from the E55. Thanks for all the info!!

I was also thinking of adding a 2004-2005 Cayenne Turbo to the decision process? Seem like its very similiar spec wise to the RS6 but just not as special or limited.

Bingocaller
December 9th, 2007, 17:46
Copper You were right on the money - great post!

DuckWingDuck
December 10th, 2007, 02:21
Double thumbs up to Copper, but taking out mustangs? Damn, gas must be cheap in the south.

Copper
December 10th, 2007, 20:12
Hahaha, fuel is expensive it's just that there are a LOT of Mustangs here in Atlanta! In fact, I've got a '65 289HO Coupe myself that gets WAY more attention than the RS6.

Cars that like to pick on my poor RS6:

Mustangs, usually last body style

Vette's, usually modded C5's

WRX - every time, they can be counted on for a "Wanna race?" look. In fact, now that I think about it WRX owners are really more annoying than the Mustang guys.

Other Audis - S4s and lots of modded other Audis. I pulled off the freeway to my exit and an S4 can screaming up at the two lane turn. Wanted to race me through a LEFT turn off the freeway... duh. I was on the outside as well. I'm sure he's posted on a forum somewhere how he "killed an RS6 and man those things are slow" My 9 month pregnant wife was also in the car...

I usually don't feel playful anymore since as you say, it sucks down the fuel and racing in Atlanta traffic is about as fun as riding a moped in China... about the same speed as well.

mmaturo
December 10th, 2007, 20:29
Ha! About the same as racing in Chicago traffic...not any room to do it...I have the EXACT same here with the same cars etc always trying...

your post way above is the perfect answer...my RS6 is my daily driver in Chicago...i.e. ice and snow right now...perfect for it...still amazes me how much grip this car has...an MB CLK500 yesterday tried the d%ck move of pulling up next to me at a light on an otherwise 1 way our direction road (a typical and annoying feature of chicago drivers that they think that is ok) to get a jump at the light and pass everyone...ooopsie... I have an RS6...he gunned it...spun his wheels in hopeless futility...I just gave him the proper salute for the move he made and took off leaving him there...No rear drive car can handle the adverse conditions better than an Audi.

BLITZEN
December 10th, 2007, 23:22
Hmmm, no one's really commented on the G55 or Cayenne SUV options. I guess I'll chime in since you also live in a climate known for snow. Of the 2, I think the Cayenne would be a better choice as a DD.

IMHO, the MB is a malapropos fancy for Hollywood and NY wanna-be-rugged posers who need the creature comforts of a modern vehicle and lack the steel needed to own a classic bronco. While stylish, both are maladroit to daily city driving.

On the other hand, like the RS6, the Cayenne is a suitable daily driver that won't have people stereotyping you as anything other than classy. The ride and handling are quite adept for an SUV. However, I was just given one as a loaner vehichle when my RS6 was at the dealership, and I thought it was a downgrade. Specifically, the interior was comparable to a Toyota or Nissan.

As a comparison to the Cayeene Turbo, have you considered a Touareg TDI? Before stereotyping it as a VW, consider that it has more torque than any of the SUV's mentioned including the SRT-8 and just won the Dakar rally. :)

DuckWingDuck
December 11th, 2007, 00:23
LOL, supposed the G is taken directly from the German military!

Carl Lassiter
December 11th, 2007, 01:12
On the other hand, like the RS6, the Cayenne is a suitable daily driver that won't have people stereotyping you as anything other than classy. T)

Image of the Cayenne, while of course subjective, is different to the RS6 in my eyes. And not in a good way. Turbo version is a nice vehicle, maybe more suited as the wife's car that's fun to borrow. :addict: FTW

goodduck
December 11th, 2007, 01:49
the RS6 and cayenne are worlds apart in terms of "class" IMO. the RS6 is one of the most capable automobiles produced yet it is classy, subdued. the cayenne is the definition of ostentatious (apologies to cayenne owners out there). i would consider the 997 GT2 to be less ostentatious than a cayenne ;)

from your list of pervious cars its hard to get a handle on what car would suit you. but i would say that the jeep should taken off your list of considerations. if you want to slug around in an urban assault vehicle like all the other soccer moms go for the G55.

ill leave it to everyone else to tell you to get the :rs6kiss:

DetailersDomain
December 11th, 2007, 05:27
RS6 as a daily is unbelievable! Pretty much everyone said it. Its a beast and its great in all weather conditions. okay maybe not over a foot of snow. But for the most part can get you anywhere. I go thru cars as well and this one is a keeper.

I got out of my Cayenne Turbo (wife's daily and she hated it) she told me to pick up a 911 turbo and to give her the RS6. So I did what I had to do...:lovl:

GL now all you have to do is pick a color...:hihi:

Copper
December 11th, 2007, 16:42
Phil you crack me up!

My tenant in Florida drives a G55 short wheel base two door which he tells me is very rare. It was decent. Looked more like a Jeep Commander than anything IMHO.

If you are looking for a nice SUV, my wife drives a Lexus GX470. It's very nice, plenty of power and has the third rows, etc with DVD, NAV, leather. She's happy with it and I drive it all the time when the family is going over the river and through the woods... I test drove a Porsche Pepper and also the VW version. Too small, not third row, back seats are tiny and the ride was harsh. If I wanted to go fast I would get a sports car or sedan like the RS6 which is what I did. The SUV is the family mobile but even when I go ride my tri or road bikes I can fit either of them easily in the trunk of the RS6 with the seats down. I've also had multiple sized surfboards in the RS6 without any issues. With my wife's SUV I have to take out my duaghter's car seat, put the seats down, press the "2" button on the memory, removew about ten tons of crap like lipstick, water bottles, cheerios, DVDs and then after all that find that the gas tank is on Empty... sigh.

If you need an SUV, this is not the place to get a good opinion I wouldn't think.

If you need a super-car sports sedan, then I think the comments everyone has made so far are applicable.

Good luck!

Carl Lassiter
December 11th, 2007, 18:14
I got out of my Cayenne Turbo (wife's daily and she hated it) she told me to pick up a 911 turbo and to give her the RS6. So I did what I had to do...:lovl:

Why'd she hate the Cayenne TT?

A great SUV currently on the market is the GL550. Does it all and looks good while doing so.

jpalmerm
December 14th, 2007, 22:52
Thanks for all the good advice. I drove a Cayenne TT recently that had a custom exhaust on it and I liked it but it sounds like the RS6 is every bit as fast or faster. My wife and I have talked about it and we are kind of thinking we may sell the truck and then get 2 cars. We won't get the second car until she starts nursing school in the Fall of 09'

She suggested I get a year or 2 old S4 Avant 6spd if we sell the truck then she can drive the Viggen to school for the next 1/5 years. Then when she starts nursing school I give her the S4 and get whatever I want as a daily. I said what about a RS6 instead of a S4 Avant and she was somewhat against the RS6 as she thinks when and if I decide to give the RS6 to her I will be very anal and will pester her more about it because it is more special . Pester her about being EXTRA careful and to watch where she parks it etc...

When we end up getting another car it would have to be able to tow atleast a 32ft boat. So maybe a Cayenne Turbo or a VW Tourag? The SRT8 is out as it can't tow very much, the G55 might be back in the game??

I will be driving a RS6 and a S4 Avant this next weekend when I am back home in Seattle for xmas!! I will decide then.

DuckWingDuck
December 15th, 2007, 00:13
So make a promise to not pester her and get that RS6. No brainer!

absent
December 15th, 2007, 17:23
Hmmm, no one's really commented on the G55 or Cayenne SUV options. I guess I'll chime in since you also live in a climate known for snow. Of the 2, I think the Cayenne would be a better choice as a DD.

IMHO, the MB is a malapropos fancy for Hollywood and NY wanna-be-rugged posers who need the creature comforts of a modern vehicle and lack the steel needed to own a classic bronco. While stylish, both are maladroit to daily city driving.

On the other hand, like the RS6, the Cayenne is a suitable daily driver that won't have people stereotyping you as anything other than classy. The ride and handling are quite adept for an SUV. However, I was just given one as a loaner vehichle when my RS6 was at the dealership, and I thought it was a downgrade. Specifically, the interior was comparable to a Toyota or Nissan.

As a comparison to the Cayeene Turbo, have you considered a Touareg TDI? Before stereotyping it as a VW, consider that it has more torque than any of the SUV's mentioned including the SRT-8 and just won the Dakar rally. :)
G55 will be fun for very short distances,in traffic or longer drives it will beat you to death (I know,put over 20k miles on '05 model).
Cayenne TT will be very efficient ,quick enough for daily grind and quickly will bore you and make you feel like just another housewife/soccermom as these cars are becoming glamorized versions of minivans here.
The only thing left, is pray to God or Audi USA to bring the new RS6 here ,otherwise only the GT-R may come close as overall package....

Bingocaller
December 15th, 2007, 19:36
What about a brand new Cayenne GTS - Just read a short test of it and they loved it - more a drivers car for the road then the other Cayennes because of the setup

http://images.google.dk/images?hl=da&resnum=0&q=cayenne+gts&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Spidercat
December 16th, 2007, 06:56
I will be driving a RS6 and a S4 Avant this next weekend when I am back home in Seattle for xmas!! I will decide then.[/QUOTE]

My opinion: Test drive the S4 first, and bring your checkbook with you when you test drive the RS6. They won't be able to pry you out of the driver's seat! I guarantee that your cheeks will hurt from the huge grin that will plastered on your face. The car is absolutely ridiculous!:bow: :addict:
...You'll still have to decide upon a color, however...I'm partial to black, myself...:cool2:

Great post, by the way, Copper! And as mmaturo alludes to, other drivers can no longer pull d%ck moves on you, since 99.99% of the other cars on the road are rendered obsolete.

JCT2033
December 16th, 2007, 08:32
My friend traded in his then 9-month old E55 for a 520-hp Cayenne last year, citing poor top gear ratio and handling. He lost about $10K in value. I am sure G55 has a less impressive handling than E55.

troyjgaspard
December 16th, 2007, 20:30
after all its u who will be left to enjoy ur decision or not.so u already know about the rs6.in my opinion there is no other car that can come close in comparison to the rs6.its the most awesome car in its class that has ever been built for its performance and its luxuriousness.u will be the one to live with ur choice so get what ever u feel comfortable with.im sure that u will be just like me in the end and i have not regretted my rs6 yet.every time i drive it it is like the first time i have ever driven it.it amazes me every time i drive it.especially since i did all of these mods to it.giac chip for 520 horsepower,r8 19 inch wheels weighing only 20.5 lbs each,mtm exhaust and downpipes,itg filters,rnse navigation upgrade,as well as fuel line atomizers that increase fuel consumption and acceleration no doubt,and since all of the mods it has totally changed the performance of my car.i dont know how fast it is in times but i will say this it is the fastest car in town with competition such as corvettes with mods and mustang cobras,nissan 350 z and mitsubishi 3000 gts as well none even comming close either before mods and now even more behind since mods.i love my car and will never get rid of it for anything in the world.oh and i also put on ceramic brake pads from ebc.all mods totaling only 13,000 dollars and dont want anymore power out of it.its got all i want and still havent tried to have it give me all its got and probably will never ask for that from it.i like to live and its just crazy to try to top out a car that will probably do every bit of 200 miles per hour since i have already got it up to 175 and still had good accelleration and alot of pedal as well.so what i am saying is i love my beast and i am sure u will as well.