Veyron
November 21st, 2002, 14:47
I just got the new TopGear.

Results:
1. E55 AMG
2. M5
3. RS6
4. S-Type R

Performance (in mph): (Audi has 19", rest 18", weather wasnt that good when I look at the pics, E55 AMG performance is claimed)

RS6 M5 S-Type R E55 AMG
0-60 4,9 5,8 6,0 -
0-62 5,1 6,1 6,3 4,7
0-70 6,1 7,3 7,7 -
0-100 11,3 13,0 14,7 -
0-130 21,4 22,6 26,8 -
Max speed 155 155 155 155
1/4 mile 13,3 14,3 14,6 -
term speed 107,2 104,8 9,6 -
30-70 4,3 4,7 5,3 -
70-0 49,5 48,9 48,6 -

Verdict:
Styling 4 4 3 4
Performance 5 4 3 5
Ride&Handling 3 4 3 4
Accomodation 4 4 3 4
Costs 2 3 3 3
Overall 4 4 3 4

They didn't really like the Ride & Handling:

Usually, Audi's are a bit polite-looking. This one looks as if it would say,'Actually, get out of my way'. And alot of people do when they see that big, black mesh grille and deep front spoiler in the rearview mirror. I adore the flared wheel arches and the sleek, muscularity of the body.
The 19-inch alloy wheels are goodlooking too, but they vreate a problem. The ride on the RS6 is taut to the point of bone-jarring. One scours the dask in a vain for a 'Comfort' button. Apparently, the RS6's suspension has been optimised to roll on 18-inch wheels, but these bigger ones are tramlining and generally compromising any right quality there migth be. The steering, though quick, lacks feel and is over assisted. The brake pedal, however, feels directly connected to the pads - fabulous.
Even more fabulous is the engine note . real thrilling growl. This 4.2-litre V8 is made more manic by the addition of two turbochargers and the throttle is toe-sensitive. With its jittery ride and instant responses, the RS6 is like a hyperactive child that's just had a double espresso with three sugars. If the Jag is fast, that's not as good as hilariously fast, which is what the audi is. There is a feeling of hanging on for dear life and being pressed back into the seat as the RS6's 450bhp gets into its stride. You have to smile.

Conclusion:

As good as the Jaguar is (It's the best S-Type I've driven), it's the slowest of this group and not in the same league of 'sortedness' ass the others, lacking the all-round ability of the M5, the latest engineering of the E55 and the breathtaking pace of the RS6.
For all its pace and good looks, the RS6 can't put itself above the Merc or BMW, If I'd paid £57,700 for a saloon that rides this harshly, I'd be well ticked off.
The M5 makes you feel the continent is your backyard. But if it is a supreme being, it now has to share its higher level of existence with another, the sublime E55. For how long depends on when an M version of the new upcoming all-new 5 series makes an appearance, preferably with one of those SMG gearboxes as found on the M3.
I've learnt that the E55 is my pick of this crop, even on such brief acqaintance. The BMW is still wonderful, there is nothing wrong with it apart from the low-speed susceptibility to shunting. This, though, is where the Mercedes has yet another base covered. It's utterly civilised, as well as quite extraordinarily swift.

Says Clarkson:

Like all Audis, there's a detachment and a numbness to the suspension and the steering. But, holy mother of Christ, what an engine! Waht a noise. What power. For sure, the E55 can match it on this front, but the Audi roller coaster surges on. What looks. What grip. What Seats. What build quality. What a car. I'm a big, big fan.

What a great magazine by the way, cars tested: RS6, M5, S-Type R, E55 AMG, Z4, Touareg, Cayenne, MG XPower SV, TVR T350C, Murcielago, Pagani Zonda, Vanquish, 575M, 911 Turbo, TVR Cerbera and SL 55 AMG! All in just one magazine :D

Edit: Better layout for figures & typo

krabu
November 21st, 2002, 15:22
Thanks for the report. :cheers:
Take care...

Dave
November 21st, 2002, 21:37
I've read that issue a few times now...

The guys doing the review say that the ride of the RS6 is too firm.. I would disagree... it's firm but no way is it like a Scoobie or Evo. It settles down on fast roads and is really quite comfortable.

If you like a soft ride then I would reccomend that you get a A6 4.2L, or if you like it bit more sporty then get an S6. The RS6 is set up to put all that power down and hold it's own through the corners.. suspension is always a compromise.. you chose your car and live with it.

Clarkson, personally, likes the RS6 most and you get the feeling it is the car he would choose. He loves the engine, power & noise.. what more do you want.:D

Dave