PDA

View Full Version : anyone dissapointed about.......?

tvrfan
December 4th, 2007, 18:45
today i saw i golf IV 1.8 with the same engine as my Audi A3. i dont like the fact that other cars have the same engine like me ^^ (volkswagen, skoda, seat). for me the engine is nothing special more and everbody have it in a other car. thats what i like on BMW they have engines just in their car and nobody other car company have their same engines. is there a chance that audi build in future completly their own engines and VW dont getting their???? or VW is building their same and audi isnt getting their??? i will hope so. i want more exclusivity engines. their just the big engines that VW doesent have from audi.

AndyBG
December 4th, 2007, 20:21
VAG is one big corporation, Audi isn't ''alone''. BMW is actualy sharing its engines with some other companyies on the MINI level, Peugeot 207 and 308 have the same 1.6 turbo engine as MINI.

Mercedes is using VAG 2.0 TDI its A class...

Audiphile
December 4th, 2007, 21:04
VAG is one big corporation, Audi isn't ''alone''. BMW is actualy sharing its engines with some other companyies on the MINI level, Peugeot 207 and 308 have the same 1.6 turbo engine as MINI.

Mercedes is using VAG 2.0 TDI its A class...

I did not realize that MB was using a VAG engine. Thanks. Also, BMW can no longer (based on its small size) with the current automotive landscape not form partnerships where its engines will be diluted by their use in other brands. BMW's net return on investment per unit is dropping like the dollar and it will have to continue to deep discount its cars to move the metal and maintain increased volume to prevent further erosion of its net return per vehicle. Though in the long run that is a poor strategy. Partnering with Mercedes-Benz and Peugeot are the only ways that BMW can maintain its future independence to reduce costs and increase economies of scale that Audi and Lexus currently enjoy with VW and Toyota respectfully. They should consider talking to Audi as a smarter bet since they are more dynamically in sync (not to mention the VW group is better situated than Daimler in terms of size and technology), but I assume the distaste that Audi has for BMW would be like talking to the devil himself and selling one's soul.

chewym
December 4th, 2007, 23:22
Why does it matter? Nothing happens to your engine because VW uses the same engine.

The Cayenne uses the VW VR6 engine. Porsche doesn't complain and people still buy it for the Porsche badge and don't know/care that a VW and Audi share the same engine.

goodduck
December 5th, 2007, 00:39
it doesnt neccesarily bother me but i can see where you are coming from... its a slippery slope.
engines, interior bits, key fobs, all being shared- it could get to the point where the whole car is identical but you just pay more for the badge- this is what you get with american car companies like ford/mercury where the cars are 99% identical yet some fools think its appropriate to fork over the extra 20 G's for the mercury badge.

chewym
December 5th, 2007, 01:14
Well you will only pay a thousand or some more for a Mercury badge, it's worthless currently.

Another one, Mini and Peugeot share engines. Americans laugh at French cars, but probably 95% don't know that their Mini shares and engine with a French car. And when they find out, they will get defensive and say it's a Mini/don't care. Again badge prevails.

Also, most also don't know/care that their Lexus ES350 is very much like a Toyota Camry. As long as the badge is worthy and the product is decent you can get away with a lot. As long as you advertise your car as "premium/luxury"

Don't fall to the silly BMW TV commercials.

raulg
December 5th, 2007, 03:26
I guess this thread is about Audi being a VW (some people think that indeed), but I like to see it the other way around: Audi is Lamborghini.

There is a clear difference between Audi and VW (besides using some of the same engines). Same on the others side with Lambo. Lambo could complain that Audi using their V10 is making their company diluted, but in fact Audi was the first company to rule Lambo to a profit, so they better shut up. As other said, savings are big when crossing engines/parts like this. Do not worry, just cause a VW has the same engine with probably the same 0-60 doesn't matter to much. You can get better 0-60 with a cheap car anyway, but with no luxury at all. VW is just a cheaper option to Audi, in fact I use to own Passat in the past. I still like them.

chewym
December 5th, 2007, 03:38
Actually the Lamborghini V10 is very much an Audi V10 from the start. It has the same bore and stroke as the VW 2.0 I4 that has been out for ages. 3.25 by 3.65 inches. The Audi V8 like in the R8/RS4 has a 3.33 by 3.65 bore and stroke. The S6 has a V10 with the same bore as the RS4. The Gallardo V10 appears to be an engine that shares much with old VW engines.

Yet, it's an excellent engine that makes tons of power and no one complains that it has 2.0 slow origins. In other words, almost all of VAG engines are closely related.

Audiphile
December 5th, 2007, 03:49
I wouldn't be too worried about Audi being diluted by VW. Just look at the history of Audi within the VAG and you can see Audi is quite independent and remains so, if not more so than ever. Just take a look at the VAG corporate leadership. Who rules who? Audi chieftains have taken over VAG executive suites. The why I see it, Audi and Porsche will influence the direction of VAG and not the other way around. Of course, there is going to be some sharing of compenents to maintain economies of scale for VAG and save production costs. But this is not detrimental as Audi will always have Audi DNA. Just look at Lamborghini. If it wasn't for Audi quality processes and business managment, Lamborghini would all likely be in receivership or go the way of MG Rover. Audi has given Lamborghini a chance to compete against its main rival Ferrari once again. By the way Ferrari is under the heavy influence of Fiat. Even Bentley is entering the sphere of Audi influence as the next Bentley models (as rumor has it) are under Audi control in terms of development. The next A8L and Flying Spur will be "sister" vehicles. Look, BMW has been calling on Mercedes-Benz to cooperate in order to protect itself from Audi's huge ecomonies of scale advantage. This is a foreshadowing for BMW if they do not halt their net return on investment per unit built from spiraling downwards as it is now.

RussianM3_dude
December 5th, 2007, 08:36
Mini does not use Pug engines. Peugeot uses Mini engines... nuance.

chewym
December 5th, 2007, 09:10
It's a partnership according to the press releases. The parts are made in France, assembled in France for Peugeot or in UK for Mini. The cylinder block is based on previous Peugeot engines. Valvetronic comes from BMW. Previously Mini used a Chrysler engine.

In the end, it doesn't matter how the engine was developed as long as its a high quality engine that performs well.