PDA

View Full Version : Under 20K, Car to learn how to drive stick really fast...

gmbh6
December 4th, 2007, 01:26
What kind of cars should I be looking into to learn how to master manual shifting?

I'm looking for a small car that I can whip around town .. like a mazdaspeed3, or a GTI, or s2000 .....

At the auditrack day I had no problem with the R8 and the paddle shifters but the RS4 and the stick was giving me problems. Couldn't concentrate on my driving cause I was thinking about shifting too much.

crespo
December 4th, 2007, 03:35
learn on a beater car, not a new car. and taking a lesson or two will do WONDERS. Seriously.

goodduck
December 4th, 2007, 05:57
anyone can learn on any car it just takes practice. you can have it down in no time. there is no need to have a "practice car" get the car you want... youll learn.

AndyBG
December 4th, 2007, 14:02
Go for used GTI...

ott
December 4th, 2007, 15:09
I would consider BMW 3 series, RWD is much more fun.

BroddvonBronto
December 4th, 2007, 15:29
rental cars ftw! ;)

JavierNuvolari
December 4th, 2007, 19:55
rental cars ftw! ;)

lol, best answer so far.
+1

RS6Driver
December 4th, 2007, 22:36
Heh, is it not mandatory to learn how to drive stick shift when you are getting your license?

nene
December 4th, 2007, 22:46
Here is a plan that worked for me:
1. Take a 2 week trip to Europe... some country you will enjoy;
2. Rent a decent car like the VW Polo or an Opel Astra.
3. Enjoy your vacation.

I'm sure that you will find that 2 weeks on the rental will be sufficient as learning manual is really not that difficult. I'm sure you still will have plenty of cash left.

Now start with a small engine car, as this seems to be easier to learn on. A powerful car is a bit trickier to be the first place to tackle, but once you master on small car, you will find it easier to handle the additional power.
Get a gasoline car too if at all possible. Only because with a gasoline car you will see that you turn the key and car starts, where the Diesel car is a slight different approach.

That worked for me...albeit a long time ago.

The RS6
December 5th, 2007, 12:58
Heh, is it not mandatory to learn how to drive stick shift when you are getting your license?

Not in America... :)

BroddvonBronto
December 5th, 2007, 15:05
Real men drive stick shift.. FTW!

rs-6
December 5th, 2007, 15:52
Honestly, I would take a 80's audi to play around with, genre coupé GT/ quattro

Benman
December 6th, 2007, 00:17
Honestly, I would take a 80's audi to play around with, genre coupé GT/ quattro

I agree, because if you can shift well in that slop fest, you can shift in ANYTHING! :D

Ben:addict:

Z07
December 8th, 2007, 12:56
I would consider BMW 3 series, RWD is much more fun.
Especially if you do an abrupt downchange whilst rushing into a bend in the wet without blipping the throttle.:hihi:

PeterJohn
December 9th, 2007, 20:18
Mazda MX5 (Miata). Fun car to hone your skills without getting into too much trouble. The old generation is actually more of a drivers car.