PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmision on the RS6???

RS6 POWER
December 3rd, 2007, 19:49
Ok guys:
Anybody here has done the mod that Champion does on their cars and changed to an S4 tranny??? Just some thoughts, called Level Ten today and asked about the tranny upgrade and they said $4,000 withought shipping or install!
Let me know your thoughts.

Best Regards,
Manuel

DuckWingDuck
December 3rd, 2007, 20:16
This point was mentioned in the TCU/ECU upgrade thread as a potentially necessary change as the automatic transmission may not be able to handle all the power at the extreme end. I personally think that while a cool option, is it really necessary unless you plan on racing your RS6? At $4K w/o shipping & installation would mean that when it's all said and done you're probably look at close to doubling that price.

grizz
December 5th, 2007, 20:51
what do you get for $4000 ???

Shatlak
December 5th, 2007, 21:37
If you are not going to drive on RS6 then what for it to buy? And if to drive, the best result will be on mechanics. Therefore always there should be a choice: mechanics or the automatic device.

Shatlak
December 5th, 2007, 21:39

To me replacement of your automatic device on mechanical :mech:

grizz
December 5th, 2007, 21:57
I WILL be fitting a 6 speed manual box in my rs6 this year , I've had a price of £2000 ($4000) just for the clutch & flywheel . what can you boys get in the usa ??

scottmandu
December 7th, 2007, 18:09
MTM charges something like 20K euros for a 6 speed conversion. I quoted a chap parts only for a 6 speed conversion and it's about 6-8K usd depending upon gearbox choice, and there's still the electronics to worry about.

grizz
December 7th, 2007, 18:30
Have you got a list of parts ??

dfreems
December 8th, 2007, 22:35
This point was mentioned in the TCU/ECU upgrade thread as a potentially necessary change as the automatic transmission may not be able to handle all the power at the extreme end. I personally think that while a cool option, is it really necessary unless you plan on racing your RS6? At $4K w/o shipping & installation would mean that when it's all said and done you're probably look at close to doubling that price.

try treble or are u going :incar: to change the crank:mech:

DuckWingDuck
December 10th, 2007, 02:19
Heh, no clue. The $4k was just what RS6 POWER mentioned.

Mr Balsen
December 10th, 2007, 06:52
MTM charges something like 20K euros for a 6 speed conversion. I quoted a chap parts only for a 6 speed conversion and it's about 6-8K usd depending upon gearbox choice, and there's still the electronics to worry about.

And electronic is where the fun begins ! ! !
It took more than one day to MTM to make it work for the RS6 Clubsport...

Cheers from Paris,
Frederic

skiwi
December 10th, 2007, 07:31
i assume that is geting the ecu to ignore the requirement to send and received "torque limited" upshift and downshift signals???

rs-mad
December 10th, 2007, 07:33
The major problems are solved custom flywheel/clutch and electronics can be modified by any "real" tuner.

RS-MAD

THM
December 10th, 2007, 15:50
i dont know how differant is rs6 from a6 4.2 uder the car but i have a link were guy swaps his AT to MT
here is parts list :
-(1) 6-speed trans (I'm planning on using a B5 S4 trans, but there are others available.)
-(1) Shift knob
-(1) shift boot
- A6 2.7 shift linkage
-(8) A6 2.7 Flywheel bolts
-(6) A6 2.7 pressure-plate bolts
- A6 2.7 Rear differential (4.11:1 final drive ratio)
- Both A6 2.7 clutch lines
-(1) A6 2.7 Clutch slave
-(1) A6 2.7 Clutch master
-(1) A6 2.7/B5 S4 flywheel/clutch/pressure-plate combo
-(1) A6 2.7/B5 S4 bell housing spacer
-(2) Manual trans mounts
-(2) A6 2.7 front axles
-(1) A6 2.7 Throwout bearing
-(1) A6 2.7 throwout bearing release arm
-(1) A6 2.7 6MT center driveshaft
- A6 2.7 bell housing bolts. I'm not sure how many, but they connect the manual trans (through a spacer) to the back of the engine.
And you may need some other random stuff (trans fluid, new bolts, etc.,) but this list covers most of the parts needed for the conversion.
and here is link http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16621

RS6 POWER
December 10th, 2007, 15:51
Level Ten upgrade;
Master Kit-$1,198
Convertor-$998
Pump-$723
Valve body-$998
PLUS SHIPPING!!!

scottmandu
December 11th, 2007, 01:18
You can't use 2.7tt clutch components on the 4.2 RS6 motor, it has 10 bolts on the flywheel. You have to use a custom piece or older S6 plus stuff. The best transmission to use is RS4 or S6 V8 trans. Also have to use S6 v8 manual axles, prop shaft, and mounts.

JAXRS6
December 18th, 2007, 03:48
Yes, that's $30,000 USD.

The question came up during a session with a Champion Motorsport RS 6 racing tech who spoke to Audi Club of Florida members as part of a rally a couple of years ago, at Champion in Pompano Beach. I asked the tech about the conversion cost. He said it was extremely high due to all the electronics that had to be changed, and he meant just that: almost all the electronics, including everything that ran through the dashboard, had to be reprogrammed. That, he said, was most of the cost & it's why they never marketed the conversion.

He hesitated to give a cost, so I begged for a "ballpark" figure. He said about $30,000.

As for the MTM Avant conversion in Europe, I heard a similar story on this forum years ago: A six-speed manual was part of their project car but ended up way too complex and expensive to be marketable.

All this is old news, so if someone here has something new to report, I'm all ears! Short of that, personally I would not assume a tuner can make this happen at reasonable cost -- unless the tuner is far superior to Champion and MTM, and I doubt any such tuner exists for the RS 6. But if I'm wrong please let me know. I must admit I haven't followed this forum as much as I used to.

But from what I know now I wouldn't spend five cents for a manual tranny unless I had another $29,999.95 to spare. Too much like trying to make a square peg fit a round hole, so far at least.