PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fan questions..

Hy Octane
November 28th, 2007, 19:02
New trick. Car usually will have cooling fans running when I pull into my garage, so I am in the habit of letting them run for a minute or so before I switch off. Usually, I can hear the fan begin to slow down which tells me its ok to turn off the motor. Last few days, temps are cool now in the 60's and normal city driving, when I now pull into garage, the fan kicks into hi gear and runs for a few minutes with no slowing down. So, I switch off motor while fans on HI and now the fan keeps running after the motor is off. This has never happened before where the fans run after the motor is off. All gauges show normal.. no CEL... I suspect a thermostat somewhere,.. any thoughts?

DuckWingDuck
November 28th, 2007, 19:39
Maybe the hot air being thrown off by the engine/turbo is driving up the temp in the garage and artificially keeping it up? Maybe try seeing if this problem exhibits itself if you park outside.

nene
November 28th, 2007, 19:56
I run heat in the Winter in 'Econ' mode, and not observed the fan come on at all.
However if it is coming on, might be an issue with car thermostat sensor.

Rich_C
November 28th, 2007, 20:09
I had very similar problems as you describe a while ago which inevitably resulted in the engine warning light coming on. Straight into Audi and a check of error codes showed that a temperature sensor in the coolant circuit was failing/had failed which made the fans run harder. A new sensor later and all was back to normal.

Hope that helps.

Rich.