PDA

View Full Version : Dealer crashed my car - what can I demand?

Michal12
November 27th, 2007, 17:17
Just got a call from dealer saying a mechanic crashed my car - radiator is gone, so is bonnet, one xenon and bumper. :noshake:

Has this happened to anybody before? What can I demand? They say they will fix the damage for free but do I trust them? What if there is structural damage not obvious at the moment?

RussianM3_dude
November 27th, 2007, 17:18
Man why didn't this happen to me instead!!!

BigRick
November 27th, 2007, 17:26
Man why didn't this happen to me instead!!!

That would be sooooo nice if it could happen to you... but you're not the subject matter here so.

Michal12:
Two things
1) if it's a rental then you don't really care, VW Finance will get the hit at the end. Simply make sure you have the paper work settled so that you can prove that repairs were done by your dealer. Just in case someone ask when you return the car.
2) you bought the car, then make sure you get some money out of that. I would say, you can't ask too much. Just think of this. What would you say to anyone buying your car if they ask if the car has been damaged... you'll get negociated and you'll loose money. A damaged car (what ever how good are the repairs is still a damaged car and nobody wants to pay full price for them)

My two cents

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 17:33
I would agree to the fixing of the car on one condition that they buy back the car at market value for a trade-in (what ever it says in Glasses Guide) when you come to selling it.

You couldn't get fairer than that.

HKS786
November 27th, 2007, 17:36
I would agree to the fixing of the car on one condition that they buy back the car at market value for a trade-in (what ever it says in Glasses Guide) when you come to selling it.

You couldn't get fairer than that.

That sounds about fair ;)

RussianM3_dude
November 27th, 2007, 18:18
Ask them to give you a killer deal on an R8. Drive it a bit, then flip it.

Michal12
November 27th, 2007, 18:25
It does. But hell, what if I want a BMW instead an Audi?:brag:
Bloody hell!

That sounds about fair ;)

RussianM3_dude
November 27th, 2007, 18:27
But of course!!! Why would you want another Audi, even the mechanics are so bored, they fall asleep at the wheel.

My advice would be to get a lawyer. Not to sue anybody, just so he can run over the new contract, make sure you are covered.

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 18:51
It does. But hell, what if I want a BMW instead an Audi?:brag:
Bloody hell!

Sorry I didn't make myself clear enough, when I said but the car back at market trade-in value, that didn't mean to were bound to purchase another Audi.

Surely that is even fair enough to M3_dude.

Chances are they will agree to such a thing, but with what's coming out in the next 24 months you will more than likely stay with Audi. ;)

crespo
November 27th, 2007, 19:22
Depends on how good your lawyers are...

My cousin's B6 3.0 V6 A4 got totalled by mechanics on what would have been a routine check-up visit to the dealer. My uncle (his dad), sent a team of lawyers over there and he got a brand new B7 3.0 V6 A4 out of it, the B6 being about a year old or so.

So.. um.. lawyers :p

Mori
November 27th, 2007, 20:55
If they broke my baby I'd make them give me a brand new one or full refund.

Rosefors
November 28th, 2007, 10:09
Just got a call from dealer saying a mechanic crashed my car - radiator is gone, so is bonnet, one xenon and bumper. :noshake:

Has this happened to anybody before? What can I demand? They say they will fix the damage for free but do I trust them? What if there is structural damage not obvious at the moment?

if both your xenons and bonnet are smashed, this is a serous accident. I ran over a badger recently and had visually only a minor dent on my front bumper. Because how impact energy is transferred through as much parts as possible, this dent resulted in that absolutely everything in front of my engine, and also the waterpump and watermatrix had to be exchanged. There is literally no room between the front radiator package and the engine so an accident like that the engine and the whole transmission has taken up the force and moved backwards, just as it is designed to do. Everything needs to be taken out. No matter how god repair they might do, it will not be as new.
RS4 is an absolute premium enthusiast car. There is no room for debate here. I would accept nothing less than a total refund of it.

RussianM3_dude
November 28th, 2007, 10:45
Oh and the mechanic passes into your personal servitude for the duration of the lease.

tazsura
November 28th, 2007, 12:41
I agree completely with Rosefors.

You have to wonder what they were doing to have such a big accident. Get tdown there straightaway before they do anything to the car. Take pictures and assess all the damage, fully document everything.

I would expect a full refund for the cost of the car. No matter how good a repair is, the car is never the same.

Which county are u based in?

Taz :MTM:

Mori
November 28th, 2007, 14:37
That is why there is a no test-drive flag in their computer system on my car. Seriously - how many mechanics will NOT enjoy or go a bit crazy test driving an RS4?

tazsura
November 28th, 2007, 15:01
Yeh exactly. It always help i find if you can get to know your Dealer or someone working there well. Car always get preferential treatment...not that it should be this way of course, but you can't cater for the random idiots that work at every dealer!

We know the Dealer principal at ours and so make sure none of our cars get ragged!

taz :incar:

Benman
November 28th, 2007, 17:51
I wonder where gjg is? This exact same thing happened to him. He went from a RS 6, to dealer crashing it, to RS 6+... Hopefully he chimes in.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

RussianM3_dude
November 28th, 2007, 18:16
Or you can crash ANY dealer's car. Eye for an eye...

Z07
November 30th, 2007, 20:39
What can I demand?
That they learn to drive.

Michal12
March 26th, 2008, 10:29
Guess what??
Since the crash I have been experiencing jerky autobox action..Nearly 5 months later I found what it was... As they crashed the car, oil radiator got broken and geabox oil leaked but they didnt re-fill it:bigeyes:

So I have been driving with 20% of oil in my gearbox!! Even long distance trips, arrrhg.
This is not quite funny any more. I thing I should demand they change the entire gearbox, what do you think?
:doh:

I agree completely with Rosefors.

You have to wonder what they were doing to have such a big accident. Get tdown there straightaway before they do anything to the car. Take pictures and assess all the damage, fully document everything.

I would expect a full refund for the cost of the car. No matter how good a repair is, the car is never the same.

Which county are u based in?

Taz :MTM:

another Russian
March 26th, 2008, 11:22
Guess what??
Since the crash I have been experiencing jerky autobox action..Nearly 5 months later I found what it was... As they crashed the car, oil radiator got broken and geabox oil leaked but they didnt re-fill it:bigeyes:

So I have been driving with 20% of oil in my gearbox!! Even long distance trips, arrrhg.
This is not quite funny any more. I thing I should demand they change the entire gearbox, what do you think?
:doh:
sell the car to them or get max benefits from it as had been told before:deal:

Michal12
March 26th, 2008, 12:45
Yep, I am thinking of forcing them to buy back the car..

sell the car to them or get max benefits from it as had been told before:deal:

another Russian
March 26th, 2008, 12:50
Yep, I am thinking of forcing them to buy back the car..
it's time for acting, enough of thinking. you can't predict what's going to happen' to the car next. Just be reasonable and conclusive:cheers:

JavierNuvolari
March 26th, 2008, 16:32
Sell them the car as Another Russian stated, you have no idea of what the actual damage to the car was.

Also, castrate the mechanic.

Best of luck mate, I really hope it turns out well for ya.