PDA

View Full Version : Audi: Strategy change for RS models announced!

andreadebi
November 26th, 2007, 06:25
http://www.germancarblog.com/2007/11/audi-strategy-change-for-rs-models.html

Werner Frowein, head of Audi's Quattro GmbH, has announced a strategy change for the RS models.
Currently RS models like the Audi RS4 and Audi RS6 are published at the end of the lifecycle of the car line. In future you can get your maximum performance car 2 years after the initial going public of a new model. Great news!

He also announced some great figures for 2007. 5000 Audi RS4 will be sold together with 4000 Audi R8 and he sees no end with a planning of 5500 Audi R8, 5000 Audi RS6 and another 1000 Audi RS4 for 2008.

chewym
November 26th, 2007, 07:12
It would make sense that Audi would expand its RS model lineup (as in sell more than 1 RS at a time) and bring out RS models quicker.

RussianM3_dude
November 26th, 2007, 13:38
It would hurt exclusivity, however the regula S series can't compete with the ///Ms, so it's inevitable.

Leadfoot
November 26th, 2007, 14:19
No it will hurt the competition, namely the M range.

RussianM3_dude
November 26th, 2007, 15:19
Yes, of course. However it will force ///M to make better cars, so everybody is a winner.

Leadfoot
November 26th, 2007, 15:52
I had an interesting chat today with an old friend and all I will say is there will be exciting times ahead for Audi fans and some sleepless night for the competition.

Watch this space.;)

HKS786
November 26th, 2007, 16:12
Cmon Leadie, you know you'll never get away with just leaving it at that ;) Tomorrow you'll wake up in a dark room strapped to a chair and we'll demand you tell us more. Save all of us the bother and give us a little more info :hihi:

Leadfoot
November 26th, 2007, 16:20
Sorry mate,

Until I am given the go ahead I have to sit on it.:looking:

The smallest thing I will give is the S4 won't be turboed. ;)

Mockenrue
November 26th, 2007, 16:27
:bigeyes: Really??!? Just when everyone was starting to get used to the idea...!

tvrfan
November 26th, 2007, 16:30
DOES THAT MEAN that they produce more RS models at the same time like before????

Audiphile
November 27th, 2007, 01:55
I had an interesting chat today with an old friend and all I will say is there will be exciting times ahead for Audi fans and some sleepless night for the competition.

Watch this space.;)

Leadie, will we in the Colonies share this excitment with Old Europe or are we going to go begging?:looking:

Audiphile
November 27th, 2007, 02:00
It would hurt exclusivity, however the regula S series can't compete with the ///Ms, so it's inevitable.

S-series Audis are not meant to compete directly with the M-Series. Yet, they (S-series) seem to do a very good job of it anyway. Audi has created two tiers of performance vehicles - S and RS. I thought that was pretty obvious, no brainer!:doh:

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 11:08
Leadie, will we in the Colonies share this excitment with Old Europe or are we going to go begging?:looking:

Well I reckon if you get the RS6 which a month or two ago I was told would still not happen, but if there is a change to this then I reckon you will get them all.

RussianM3_dude
November 27th, 2007, 12:25
S-series Audis are not meant to compete directly with the M-Series. Yet, they (S-series) seem to do a very good job of it anyway. Audi has created two tiers of performance vehicles - S and RS. I thought that was pretty obvious, no brainer!:doh:

Ms used to compete with the S. Especially in North America. Same power, same price. However Audi created a new niche and BMW stepped up leaving a gap. So yes, today Ms compete with RSs.

tvrfan
November 27th, 2007, 16:37
DOES THAT MEAN that they produce more RS models at the same time like before????

Phage
November 27th, 2007, 17:16

It doesn't say. When were there more RS models produced at the same time btw?

tvrfan
November 27th, 2007, 20:01
does anybody know?

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 20:09
does anybody know?

Yes, but we're not telling you. :lovl:

Only joking.;)

raulg
November 28th, 2007, 01:42
Sorry mate,

Until I am given the go ahead I have to sit on it.:looking:

The smallest thing I will give is the S4 won't be turboed. ;)

What do you mean Leadfoot? If it's not a turbo engine that it will just be the current FSI V8 355hp? I heard the turbo was confirmed from different sources, you sure you are not mistaking?

Common, give us something .. at least about that small thing .. describe it :)

Cargo8
November 28th, 2007, 02:10
isn't this similar to what already existed anyway? (ex) RS4, two production years (2007-2008) and b7 only emerged 2005.5 anyway...
or is this saying they won't be limited production anymore?

Also, WTF? no turbos??! i'm fairly certain every audi fan not in the know like Leadfoot is convinced by forums and magazines its TT, hahahah!

chewym
November 28th, 2007, 02:12
The S4 will be supercharged, there was no B6 RS4 so the delay between the B5 and the B7 RS4s was pretty long.

Leadfoot
November 28th, 2007, 10:15
The S4 will be supercharged, there was no B6 RS4 so the delay between the B5 and the B7 RS4s was pretty long.

Yes, the S4 will be supercharged and it will be here quite soon, as for when the RS4 will appear.

Well that for an entirely different thread. ;)

RussianM3_dude
November 28th, 2007, 10:44
Supercharging sounds good. It will mimick the V8 pretty well. I would have prefered a high-rev NA V6... but that's just me.

tvrfan
November 28th, 2007, 16:21
O M G ! that sucks, why is audi using superchargers???? whats with history??? back to the roots??? audi was using turbochargers in history not superchargers. i dont hope and think that the B8 S4 will be supercharged because so many sources said it will be turbocharged. and if the B8 S4 get supercharged, whats with the RS4??? i hope hes turbocharged then ! ! !

PS: how did you know it will be supercharged??? sources???

RussianM3_dude
November 28th, 2007, 16:48
Vibrant imagination.

Audiphile
November 28th, 2007, 18:17
Yes, but we're not telling you. :lovl:

Only joking.;)

It is pretty obvious that Audi AG will expand the RS-series in both volume and model ranges. Audi has hinted at this for quite some time and is in the process of expanding quattro GmbH facilities, factories, etc. The RS-series is important to Audi because of its performance credentials and its connection to bringing racing technology to the common folks such as us. Audi racing and marketing are inexpicably connected and the RS-Series will be the benefactors of it. Also, the RS-Series is very important for Audi in terms of competition against its foes of BMW and Mercedes-Benz in both image and prestige. The RS-Series has also proven to be a commercial success making quattro GmbH quite fat. Look for RS-Series and S-Series Audis to come to market faster and more of them! :bow: It is obvious that is what Audi AG is planning. It just takes time rap up and develop all these models so that there are are as many RS-Series models as there are AMG models for example.

RussianM3_dude
November 28th, 2007, 18:24
Well, they would be a lot less exclusive.

tvrfan
November 28th, 2007, 19:06
O M G ! that sucks, why is audi using superchargers???? whats with history??? back to the roots??? audi was using turbochargers in history not superchargers. i dont hope and think that the B8 S4 will be supercharged because so many sources said it will be turbocharged. and if the B8 S4 get supercharged, whats with the RS4??? i hope hes turbocharged then ! ! !

Audiphile
November 28th, 2007, 23:33
Well, they would be a lot less exclusive.

Not any less exclusive than M or AMG. Audi will always add something different to an RS-Series model to make it stand out keeping it exclusive. Nothing exclusive about an R-Class AMG (what an utter joke!)

raulg
November 28th, 2007, 23:41
Yes, the S4 will be supercharged and it will be here quite soon, as for when the RS4 will appear.

Well that for an entirely different thread. ;)

Ok, you wanna start it or you want me to start the new thread just to ask you some more details about the B8 S4?

Either way you like better, but just tell me WHEN will it be available? The S4? I would like to get the B8 RS4, but since that will be years from now I was hoping I could get an S4 next year and some time later just jump to the RS4.

Leadfoot
November 29th, 2007, 00:18
Ok, you wanna start it or you want me to start the new thread just to ask you some more details about the B8 S4?

Either way you like better, but just tell me WHEN will it be available? The S4? I would like to get the B8 RS4, but since that will be years from now I was hoping I could get an S4 next year and some time later just jump to the RS4.

My best guess from the info I have is a launch date of third quarter 2008 for the S4. That will probably mean a motorshow appearance in the first quarter.

Rage
November 29th, 2007, 00:37
Absolutley cant wait for the RS5.

A5/S5 Launched July 2007.

Will pick my RS5 up July 2009 according to above announcment!!!:alig:

Almost 2008 anyway!

Cargo8
November 29th, 2007, 03:24
Leadfoot, you are my hero in terms of getting info...

Audiphile
November 29th, 2007, 07:08
Leadfoot, the British automotive magazine CAR just named Audi its "Company of the Year" in the December issue. Surprising considering how much CAR loves BMW. Anyway, a little distraction from the topic. The new A4 should be a huge hit considering the positive reviews so far including the one in CAR. No RS6 reviews yet though. That is what I am waiting for.

tvrfan
November 29th, 2007, 20:15

anyone think so too`?

EKaru
November 30th, 2007, 19:20
Leadfoot, the British automotive magazine CAR just named Audi its "Company of the Year" in the December issue. Surprising considering how much CAR loves BMW. Anyway, a little distraction from the topic. The new A4 should be a huge hit considering the positive reviews so far including the one in CAR. No RS6 reviews yet though. That is what I am waiting for.

I think you meant autocar:
http://www.germancarblog.com/2006/11/audi-car-company-of-year.html

Audiphile
November 30th, 2007, 20:21
I think you meant autocar:
http://www.germancarblog.com/2006/11/audi-car-company-of-year.html

No, it is CAR magazine. I have the issue. Autocar (that is old news. Winterkorn was still the Czar of a Audi back then) is another one last year or so. Two, that is very good! way to go Audi!:thumb: Check the 12/07 CAR issue.