PDA

View Full Version : Question : Tire Pressure System

Thilo
June 13th, 2003, 09:38
I have a question to all RS6 owners.

In the last two weeks, the weather in Switzerland was very hot. We had everyday about 30 Degrees (i think that's 86 Fahrenheit). Now the problem. My Tire Pressure System always shows an alert on ALL four tires. That's of course not possible but annoying. Is it possible, that the hot weather causes this alerts ? Do i have to reset the System (= set the actual pressure as normal pressure ?). :confused:

Thanks for your comments in advance

Thilo
:cheers:

Dave
June 13th, 2003, 14:10
The way I understand it is that the alarm only goes off if the pressure drops by 0.2 bar.

You need to set the pressures of the tyres when cold.. you know.. the old menu button and then select tyre pressure. The computer will then store the pressure.

The alarm doesn't go off if there is an increase in pressure.. as it would as the tyre got warm.. it just goes off if there is a fall in pressure below the setting.

Maybe you set your pressures when the tyre was warm?

It's worked for me.. I had a nail in my offside rear and it picked it up immediatly!!

You can of course turn the whole system off

Dave

Thilo
June 13th, 2003, 14:27
Thanks Dave,

In my opinion the tires where "cold" when i did the setup, but maybee 1 mile of driving to the gas station is enough to heat them up. Anyway, i will do the procedure again with "cold" tires.

Greetings from "hot" Switzerland
Thilo :trash:

TheBrit
June 15th, 2003, 01:22
Hi Thilo,

I've noticed my TPM started giving yellow alert on all 4 tyres when we had a hot day here too. I waited until the evening when it cooled down, check the pressures and all were within 1 or 2 psi of the pressure I set them at.

I brought them all back up to 40psi cold and performed a store pressures, then the warnings went away again.

After 'playing' on some back roads on a very hot day and making a good attempt at cooking the engine and brakes, I did get a red warning for front offside tyre, but the pressure was fine. There was a lot of heat from that side of the engine compartment and a lot of brake dust on the wheels and round the valve stem (which acts as a radiating arial so I'm told). Once it cooled down, the red warning went.

I've deliberately let my tyres down a bit to make sure TPM works, and it does. If it keeps on throwing yellow alerts it will go into the dealer next time I have the tyres changed and we'll try reseating the sensors.

Plexus
June 20th, 2003, 22:49
My 1st RS6 was returned to the dealer 2 times to get a problem sim to yours sorted. To this day I still don't know what they did to sort it out.
Take it back and let them have the aggro!

Mal
June 24th, 2003, 07:49
I had this problem but I did not realise that every time you adjust the pressures you need to reset the system and of course only set them when the tyres are cold.

After many problems with the pumps / guages at the local garages I have now bought an accurate pressure guage and a decent foot pump.

iconcls
June 24th, 2003, 12:59
Foot pump, that's hardcore. ;-)

Erik
June 24th, 2003, 13:20
There are non-expensive air pumps that you connect to 12V that are quite good actually. I'm talking price around 10-20 USD.

But a little excercise is never bad. :blush:

Plexus
June 24th, 2003, 15:14
:addict: :addict:

IF ALL ELSE FAILS TURN THESYSTEM OFF!!

TheBrit
June 24th, 2003, 23:05
Originally posted by Mal
After many problems with the pumps / guages at the local garages
I know what you mean, I filled up and rather unwisely thought I'd get rid of that annoying yellow tyre thing that keeps coming up. My digital gauge read 37psi, so I fired up the station's pump and applied it, only to find that the nozzle was too long to engage proerly on the valve and I ended up letting my tyre down to 35 psi trying to get the stupid thing to fit.

I ended up having to use the compressor from the boot, but it doesn't like being asked to inflate to 40psi and the little rubber hose popped off at 39psi and down to 34 it went before I could get the little screw-on connector off.

So then I had to sit on the station forecourt and remove the guts of the compressor from the plastic housing and try again while holding the rubber hose in place.

Moral: Must go to Halfords and look for a decent 12v compressor to replace the crummy VW group one.