PDA

View Full Version : Help! My tires aren't wearing properly.

BLITZEN
November 19th, 2007, 22:58
The insides of my front tires are wearing especially quickly while my alignment is fine. What’s causing this?! I need to know before I wear out another set.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
I am a new owner of an RS6 which I acquired in June with brand new rubber. Since then, in 6500 miles, I’ve worn one tire to the strings and the other nearly there while both still have about half of their tread left on the outer half of the width. The wear pattern is like a bevel on the inside, (not a wedge across the entire tread). The most trusted alignment tech in Utah checked the car out and said the front wheels were properly aligned within Audi’s recommended spec’s and at the high tolerance for toe.
<o:p> </o:p>
A local Audi performance haus said they’ve seen the same thing on a few S4’s. So forgive me if I duplicate this thread in the S4 forum as well. Thanks in advance for your experience and wisdom! :rs6kiss:

skiwi
November 20th, 2007, 07:27
your alignment is incorrect. the rs6 has specific values for camber - i would suggest that the tech is using a6 v8 quattro or s6 values....

RS6 POWER
November 20th, 2007, 12:05
alignment, alignment, alignment!!!

DuckWingDuck
November 20th, 2007, 16:33
ya, that kind of wear can only come from mis-alignment.

BLITZEN
November 20th, 2007, 16:51
Yes, alignment is the very first thing I suspected. That's why I took it to who I did. The alignmnet shop that looked at it is the most recognized alignment shop in Utah. I even had to wait 3 weeks to get an appointment. Anyone who knows would tell me to trust them over anyone including a dealer.

skiwi, please prove me wrong because I wish there was, but I don't think there is, any way to adjust camber in the front of these cars.

BLITZEN
November 20th, 2007, 17:15
Searching for any way to adjust front camber, I found these 2 threads from other owners who had the same problem despite having the car in alignment.

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4966&highlight=camber

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4878&highlight=camber (http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4878&highlight=camber)

skiwi
November 20th, 2007, 17:43
Yes, alignment is the very first thing I suspected. That's why I took it to who I did. The alignmnet shop that looked at it is the most recognized alignment shop in Utah. I even had to wait 3 weeks to get an appointment. Anyone who knows would tell me to trust them over anyone including a dealer.

skiwi, please prove me wrong because I wish there was, but I don't think there is, any way to adjust camber in the front of these cars.

rs6 (w/drc) is: - 1 ° 20’ +/- 25’
standard a6 v8 is: - 1 ° +/- 25’
sport suspention (s6) is: - 1 ° 5’ +/- 25’

mmaturo
November 20th, 2007, 20:27
I was one of the people with the exact same problem...it is a camber issue, not just alignment or toe in/out as my car has always tracked dead straight...my alignment is verified as fine and my camber is within spec so seems to me that its hopeless. My tires made it longer than yours however so maybe a camber adjustment (no idea how its done) will help. I just had everything in the front suspension replaced so who knows if that will make a difference. My tires made it to 10K...going to start rotating them much more often so spread out damage to all 4 better.

BLITZEN
November 21st, 2007, 06:13
In a previous post I asked for help regarding a knock/looseness I was feeling in my suspension. Turns out, a couple bolts had come out from where the rear of the lower front A-arms connect to the sub-frame. One on each side.

While I had taken the car to Dave Strong Audi of Salt Lake in July with the problem, they failed to diagnose the missing bolts (friggin idiots). Last month, I took the car to Ken Garff Audi of Orem and in :05 they diagnosed it. It was so plain to see, I doubt Dave Strongs even put my car on a lift.

After replacing the bolts, they made sure the camber was even between the two sides. So no wonder the alignment shop I went to said everything looked good.

Anyway, you guys helped me to get my brain thinking so I could put 1 and 1 together. I called the tech at Ken Garff's today and asked if the missing bolts could have caused the tire wear and he said "absolutely"!

So hopefully, there is no problem any longer and my new tires will wear o/k. Thanks!