PDA

View Full Version : One Tyre or Two - I want your Views

Barry
November 17th, 2007, 23:32
Coming home tonight, just had a Puncture on a rear Tyre - Tyre is obviously scrap, but do I change both rear tyres or just one - All new P Zero Rosso 7000 miles ago - One new tyre on the rear and one with 7000 miles of wear, would mean that both tyres would have different diameters and hence, different rolling roads - surely would cause the differential to slip and not good for my Beast?

Also if I am going to change both rears, has anyone gone wider than the 255/35/19 on Stock Rims, without problems - I have Stock suspension and it is not the Lowered Plus Suspension - if so what tyre size?

I need to sort this on Monday your Views would be Welcome.

Barry - Daytona Avant RS6 feeling a little Deflated!

ott
November 18th, 2007, 06:47
Rear tyres are wearing faster than fronts, so I assume that @ 7000 miles they are about 50%. I would go with 2 new tyres and keep one as spare, for the case when you loose another one.

And don't use different tyre size front/rear.

Barry
November 18th, 2007, 08:19
Thanks Ott

Daytona Avant

skiwi
November 18th, 2007, 09:58
front wear would be greater than rears. measure the tread depth front and rear and compare to new....

Aronis
November 18th, 2007, 14:28
Now, you guys got me thinking....I usualy expect the fronts to wear first but lost track of which tires I put where. This year when I put the snows on I marked all the wheels so I can be 100% certain to rotate front to back in the spring. I am going to measure them to find out which is wearing faster...front or back...traditionally the front tires on FWD wear much faster than rears due to effects of stearing, but with AWD there should be a relative balance....I found anicdotely that the REARS have worn faster...

I agree change both at 7000 miles, keep one as a spare.....but I REALLY doubt you'd notice any difference with normal roads, normal driving...etc....

Mike

ott
November 18th, 2007, 20:03
May-be it's down to driving style ? I like to give full throttle quite often and within one summer rears were near the wear limit, while fronts were around 50%. I guess, if you corner hard and don't use that much throttle it may be different, because of all weight over front axle.

I can talk only about my personal experience, which was the same also with my previous car, C5 S6 6-speed.

gregoryindiana
November 19th, 2007, 02:07
Rear tyres are wearing faster than fronts, so I assume that @ 7000 miles they are about 50%. I would go with 2 new tyres and keep one as spare, for the case when you loose another one.

And don't use different tyre size front/rear.

Anything over 1000 miles, I wouldn't think saving the money by buying one is worth it, IF you plan on keeping the car for at least the life of one set of tires. If you are thinking of selling, that would be another consideration.

I rotate front to rear twice a year, so my wear is even. Don't know which would wear first in my driving. This way, I replace all 4 at once.