PDA

View Full Version : Horrible R8 Accident

itisme
November 15th, 2007, 19:01
Article is in german...

http://www.oberberg-aktuell.de/show-article.php?iRubrikID=1&iArticleID=69083&exthov=07

Driver lost control during a hard rain. Got in right turn on the left side off the road and touched the guard rail. After that he lost completely the control broke 150m later another guard rail on the right, hitted a wall, and come to standstill back on the guard rail. Driver didn't fasten his seatbelt and died in the accident. Driver was only 27 years old. Police says, that aquaplanning might be one reason plus high speed driving.

So join your car, but please drive save! and go on the track to go to the limit...
you and your beauty don't deserve anything like that!

Arslanoff
November 15th, 2007, 19:56
(((((((((

RXBG
November 15th, 2007, 20:25
quattro is not god. - as my wife likes to say.

as great as the car is, gotta be careful with those wide tires in the rain.

be careful out there guys.

HKS786
November 15th, 2007, 21:48
RIP, that's so sad =[

Mr Balsen
November 15th, 2007, 22:38
It is always sad to read such terrible news.

On the other hand, I don't understand how you can drive a car without seat belt. He will be certainly alive today protected by both seat belt + airbags...

Frederic

Benman
November 15th, 2007, 22:54
Sad to hear, and if he was in Germany on the Autobahn, he was likely not breaking the speed limit (depending on the stretch of Autobahn he was on).

Sad...

Ben:addict:

AndyBG
November 16th, 2007, 00:16
R.I.P.

Sad to see these things...

Audiphile
November 16th, 2007, 01:54
Germany has very tough seat belt laws! Very sad.

itisme
November 16th, 2007, 07:50
Sad to hear, and if he was in Germany on the Autobahn, he was likely not breaking the speed limit (depending on the stretch of Autobahn he was on).

Sad...

Ben:addict:

he was speeding on the autobahn ascent... everyone knows, that high speed normally isn't possible there. Looks like he thoughed he can brake the physics....

Ruergard
November 16th, 2007, 10:33
Very sad, but a reminder to all of us.

Rutkowsky
November 16th, 2007, 10:45
Pictures like this make you think about many other things like, since we drive high performance cars, advanced driver trainings is in place, in rain with wide tyres you break traction suddenly, and to regain straight line is difficult or impossible even. I once, took my M3 up to 200km/h in light rain on straight, but windscreen wipers can't keep up, so i don't think the driver of R8 was going anywhere near that quick, especially as it mentions, he drove in heavy rain

R.I.P.

Speedou
November 16th, 2007, 16:33
Wierd because I have done many times over 200 in the rain and had no probs with the wipers.

PeterJohn
November 16th, 2007, 17:56
The chassis under the driver seat is bend, suggesting a side impact. That's the worst place to get hit, b/c there is no crumple zone, and biologically a hit from the side is more dangerous because the two brains halfs will move from each other (knock out in boxing is almost always a punch to the side of the head).

It's possible that he wouldn't died, even if he had buckled up.

KarlMarx
November 17th, 2007, 17:51
He will be certainly alive today protected by both seat belt + airbags...

Frederic

Sadly, and in my professional opinion, this isn't true. Whilst it is true that seat belts and airbags have dramatically reduced mortality and morbidity from RTA/RTCs, they are nowhere 100% in all accidents, no way.

Side impacts are bad due to lack of vehicular protection from the side, and lack of support on the "contra" side of the impact - ie if hit from the front, the seat supports you. If hit from the back, the seat belts and air bags support you from the front. When hit from the side, thin air is pretty much all there is to support your body on the contra side. Even if you were seatbelted in and with a gazillion airbags, rapid deceleration (in a head on, into a wall/tree for example) will still kill you, as your internal organs continue to move forward and rip themselved from the (mostly) bony structure to which they are attached - tearing major vessels at their roots. You would then bleed out, internally, with nothing to be done as opening a chest couldn't be done quick enough - you'd just have to hope you'd survive long enough until it could be.

So yes, whilst you shouldn't ever go anywhere without seatbelt and airbags, they can only do so much - even if Audi's, safe as they are and as skilled as some of the drivers are on this board - if you drive without seatbelt/airbag or expect them to save your life when you f*ck it up, then that's what you'll be - f*cked.