PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Car Show/RS6 Meet

aarong
November 13th, 2007, 23:50
So far Benman, myself, and DuckWingDuck will be meeting up this Saturday at the Audi booth around noon. If anyone else is planning on attending the LA Auto show this year, try to make it by this Saturday and hang out. I'm sure we'll all grab a bite and/or a drink in the evening.

:dig:

DuckWingDuck
November 14th, 2007, 00:39
Woohoo!! I look forward to getting drunk on Audi exhaust fumes >:D

Incidentally, how will we identify ourselves???

Benman
November 14th, 2007, 00:50
I believe Richard (Audiphile) will also be there.

I'll be SUPREMELY easy to spot. 5'10", 160lbs with a clean shaven head sporting a Ron Paul t-shirt. :D

Also, to make it real easy for everyone, we can meet at the Audi info desk and use real names.

Me, Ben ;)

Ben:addict:

DuckWingDuck
November 14th, 2007, 01:06
Greg! :)

Audiphile
November 14th, 2007, 02:59
I believe Richard (Audiphile) will also be there.

I'll be SUPREMELY easy to spot. 5'10", 160lbs with a clean shaven head sporting a Ron Paul t-shirt. :D

Also, to make it real easy for everyone, we can meet at the Audi info desk and use real names.

Me, Ben ;)

Ben, I know how you look like! Anyway, I am planning on going on Saturday as well. However, I can make it no earlier than 12:30 to 1PM. Does this work. I'll send you and DuckWing...my cell phone off-line. But I am there for sure although the crowds will be a nightmare.

Audiphile
November 14th, 2007, 03:00
How about meeting in the lobby of the South Hall? This is always a good place to gather a group. We did this with SCC ACNA.

ben916
November 14th, 2007, 16:54
Bummer!

I won't be able to make it, I will be out of the state....

Hy Octane
November 14th, 2007, 18:11
Yep. Me too. Another missed event . I have a rehearsal that day/nite. Maybe next one?

Erik
November 14th, 2007, 18:29
I wish I could make it...

Have fun!

DuckWingDuck
November 14th, 2007, 19:04
Well, us LA guys can definitely do another meet up. I'm still pissed I missed the Julian Run!!

aarong
November 14th, 2007, 19:55
Well, us LA guys can definitely do another meet up. I'm still pissed I missed the Julian Run!!

yup. maybe in the new year after the holidays and what not?

DuckWingDuck
November 14th, 2007, 22:35
Actually, if you guys are interested, we should arrange our own Julian Run after the holidays.

Audiphile
November 15th, 2007, 02:07
Actually, if you guys are interested, we should arrange our own Julian Run after the holidays.

Sounds good, but we have to see how the recent fires affected the area. Julian in the Winter is the best. I reminds you of driving through some of Europe's countrysides, especially when the fog sets in.

troyjgaspard
November 15th, 2007, 03:21
when and where will the next show be.i live in louisiana but i sure do want to go to a show however living way down here dosent give me a chance to get to see any other rs6s at all.id like to go to one soon but however this is too short of a notice for me.i wish i would have known a week ago tho.

DuckWingDuck
November 15th, 2007, 05:34
troyjgaspard - LA auto show man, it happens once ever year!

http://laautoshow.com/

DuckWingDuck
November 15th, 2007, 07:03
Sounds good, but we have to see how the recent fires affected the area. Julian in the Winter is the best. I reminds you of driving through some of Europe's countrysides, especially when the fog sets in.

Let me look into it.

Dogsoldier
November 15th, 2007, 16:11
Probably won't be able to make it Saturday. But definitely up for a later date.

aarong
November 16th, 2007, 23:13
Probably won't be able to make it Saturday. But definitely up for a later date.

yeah, we'll definitely have to organize something sometime in january. if not a ride, then a meet and greet.

I'll see you guys tomorrow :addict:

DuckWingDuck
November 17th, 2007, 03:00
aarong - 1p, aud info booth!

aarong
November 17th, 2007, 03:09
aarong - 1p, aud info booth!

sweet...another hour to quell my hangov...sleep in

aarong
November 17th, 2007, 21:58
Looks like I missed you guys

Audiphile
November 18th, 2007, 18:46
Strange. I just read through the LA Auto Show official program and it stated that the new A4 is having its North American debut/premier at the show. Is there something to come we do not know? Is Audi going to show it later in the week? I'll definitely go back if that is the case.

s42ski
November 19th, 2007, 00:47
Missed the Saturday meeting, but I had a good excuse. I was at the Audi driving experience. Got a few hot laps in R8 and RS4. Should have some good picks from the event that I will try and upload.

Definitely up for a Jan meet and greet or drive.

DuckWingDuck
November 19th, 2007, 04:01
aarong - sorry man, we were still in the Audi booth at 1p, must've just missed each other. When I get more info on Julian, we will figure something out! As I said to Richard, probably something after the holidays. Mid-December good for everyone?

s42ski - so you ponied up the $600 or did you get comp'ed like Richard? I still can't convince my checkbook that $600 for the half day isn't worth it!! :D

DuckWingDuck
November 19th, 2007, 18:41
Gang, here're some photos that I snapped at the auto show. Only took a few pictures of the R8 as there wasn't anything revolutionary in the Audi booth. Also had a few snaps of the new Nissan GT-R and Lexus IS-F.

http://pictures.twilightstar.net/v/greg/miscellaneous/show/

aarong
November 19th, 2007, 20:51
The IS-F was almost impressive. I sat in an E63 AMG became quite enamored, to my dismay.

DuckWingDuck
November 19th, 2007, 21:45
I think the verdict amongst Ben, Richard, and myself was that the IS-F looked a little too fan-boy. Mercs have always had pretty damned good interiors.

Benman
November 20th, 2007, 00:41
The IS-F was almost impressive.

But compared to the Skyline, it was a Corolla. The GT-R will only be @$7-$10K more than the IS-F to boot. No contest.

s42ski
November 20th, 2007, 04:23
DuckWingDuck, ponied up the $600 - no comp here - Richard must have good connections. It was a good half day. Interesting note - they had the S5 out on the track with the RS4 on the second fast track session. I felt like the S5 could was as fast as the RS4 in the corners, maybe even faster, while on the straights the RS4 had a slight advantage.

DuckWingDuck
November 20th, 2007, 05:57
s42ski - was emile your main instructor? he heavily discouraged us from driving the S5 b/c audi ag was calling ADE asking why they kept asking for clutch replacements for the S5 because people kept burning them out by telling us that the S4 (automatic) was the better drive b/c it was the same engine but lighter body. Heh. I'm trying to decide between the half day or maybe just saying screw it and sign up for the 2 day events up north... Having done it, would you pay the $600 again?

Also, can I get a quick head count as to those who are interested in Julian? I did some digging around today and all the roads appear to be open but not having ever done the drive, I wasn't quite sure what to look for... :D

s42ski
November 20th, 2007, 15:44
DuckWingDuck, Emile was the main instructor and we got a long lecture about the S5 and the clutch. Interestingly they did not seem as concerned with the RS4. They told us that they went through two clutches a week at the event. :stick: Which is surprising since most of the driving is in 3rd or 4th with fast gear changes. The S4 might be lighter, but I do not think it handles :incar: as well as the S5 from what I saw on the track. The S5 I followed was maybe faster in the corners than me (in an RS4) but I caught him on the straights. ( of course driver skill plays a lot into all this - but this same guy could not keep up with me when we were driving the R8's).

As for doing the half day it was worth it for me. I would go for the one or 2 day event in Northern California if I was going to go a second time. I forked out the money to get driving time at speed in the R8:love: . The rest of the driving school was well done, but pretty basic.

Count me in for a Julian drive

DuckWingDuck
November 20th, 2007, 17:00
I think they went through so many clutches because people were riding them and burning them out that way. Most novices, in order to avoid stalling when they haven't learned to apply the right amount of pressure to the gas pedal will ride the clutch, quite literally the worst thing to do.

On my laps in the S5, I was right behind the instructor, emile had moved onto the next class, I followed stephane (sp?) and I felt I could go a lot faster but he was trying to keep the group compact so I wasn't really able to get going and every time I got into 4th, it was time to brake and shift back to 3rd because he started braking. Bleah.

Incidentally, the girls are cute enough for me to go back! :D

s42ski
November 21st, 2007, 04:26
Glad to know I was not the only one to notice the # of cute women they had working the event....

DuckWingDuck
November 21st, 2007, 04:28
The brunette girl and I had a good time. We chatted about my awesome sirt. She's cute enough for me to go back. Ponying up $600, I think that would require me crashing a RS4. Haha.

The blonde with the glasses is cute too. But anyway, I digress. head over to the Julian thread, let me know when you're down for making the run!

thegreatguys
November 21st, 2007, 10:22
I have Malibu
http://www.thegreatguys.com/servlet/StoreFront