View Full Version : Test: A8 L 4.2 TDI vs Lexus LS 600h

AndyBG
November 13th, 2007, 11:22
I will reveal you a secret, Audi wins ! :D

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/211689/lexus_ls600h_vs_audi_a8.html

Benman
November 13th, 2007, 16:41
I knew the answer before even clicking the link. :D

But I do like the LS600h's full LED headlights, an industry first.

Ben:addict:

Ruergard
November 13th, 2007, 18:00
Was there even a question about the winner? ;) That V8 Diesel must be the perfect engine for an A8. Stunning car!

AndyBG
November 13th, 2007, 20:38
... full LED headlights, an industry first...

I allways hoped that Audi will be the first to do that.

ZeroCool
November 13th, 2007, 23:21
is this ls 600h in production already? or should i better say - are the full LED headlights ready for production?

as far as i know...in europe AUDI is the first one with full led headlights (R8) but they can't get an authorization...i'm not sure if this is true?!?

AndyBG
November 13th, 2007, 23:29
This is english magazine, is it possible that LEDs are permitted in GB... ? :confused:

Sanjuro
November 13th, 2007, 23:58
Lexus doesn't have high beam does it, certainly wasn't on release? High beam was always going to be the complicated bit and I think the R8 was first there.

Surprised at the efficiency result there.

Benman
November 14th, 2007, 00:44
Lexus doesn't have high beam does it, certainly wasn't on release?

Was all over the Official Launch site. They bragged and bragged and bragged...

Low beams, high beams, day time runing lights. A world first. Once again, Audi follows, shame really. At least they look to have the very first diesel hybrid sold in America, that is unless they choose once to again to follow...

Sanjuro
November 14th, 2007, 09:09
Was all over the Official Launch site. They bragged and bragged and bragged...

Low beams, high beams, day time runing lights. A world first. Once again, Audi follows, shame really. At least they look to have the very first diesel hybrid sold in America, that is unless they choose once to again to follow...

Sorry Ben, according to Lexus.com it's not high beam http://www.lexus.com/models/LSh/features/exterior/exterior_lighting.html
They use a Zenon High beam lamp still.

The LS 600h L is the world’s first vehicle to be equipped with Light-Emitting Diode (LED) headlamps (javascript:void(0);) for low-beam use.

Audi still good for something.

And from the did you know books regarding hybrid: Do many people remember the Audi Duo sold back in 1997? Maybe not in America (I think it was only Europe) but Audi was already selling tdi Hybrids to the public. Another Audi isn't that bad at making stuff fact.
http://www.audiworld.com/news/99/germany/wednesday/dsc00011.jpg

But due to cost difference and lack of environmental awareness it wasn't long for the market.

AndyBG
November 14th, 2007, 10:04
... Do many people remember the Audi Duo sold back in 1997?...

I never saw this one... Audi was first making hybrid ! :D

Sanjuro
November 14th, 2007, 12:57
I never saw this one... Audi was first making hybrid ! :D

Not sure who was first as Toyota also released the prius the same year. Audi had a series of running prototypes since 1989 but there were others messing around with the technology before. Is said that Prof Dr. Porsche Invented the first Hybrid car so given his grandson Ferdinand Piech was head of Audi at the time it's only fitting they were there at the time.

Benman
November 14th, 2007, 16:04
Sanjuro, I must have been wrong, I guess they were just bragging they were the world's first low beam LED?

About the Duo, I thought it was just a concept and never sold?

ZeroCool
November 14th, 2007, 20:39
AUDI in 1994 was the first manufacturer that sold Hybrid-Cars ... it was the Audi 80 Duo!

1997 they had the Audi A4 Duo with 66kW-TDI and 21kW Electro-Engine - just 90 pieces were made.

in December 1997 Toyota came with the Prius...so AUDI was first...

But nobody wanted this car and AUDI stopped the production and concentrated more on their Diesel Engines...

p.s. tomorrow i have an exam about that - because of that i know this very well :D

Benman
November 15th, 2007, 22:44
AUDI in 1994...

Thank you for that. I always thought it was just a concept.:cheers:

Audiphile
November 16th, 2007, 02:03
Nice article Ben. I like the statement that Audi is better build with better materials. Something every Audi owner knows anyway. You should see the Lexus fanboys seething on Edmunds.com Luxury Lounge Forum regarding the top-line Lexus getting beat by Audi's "entry" A8L diesel. Imagine what the A8L W12 will do it (Oh yea, the LS600h got spanked the W12 as well!) Of course, Audi builds some of the best diesels in the world and the 4.2L V8 TDI is among the best with plenty of torque. Ingnorance is bliss among Lexus fans. As I always say about Lexus, all hype, but no substance- the ultimate pseudo-luxury car. Audi, BMW and MB are marquees, Lexus is just a topped of Toyota.

AndyBG
November 16th, 2007, 11:27
...Lexus getting beat by Audi's "entry" A8L diesel...

Little correction, A8 L 3.0 TDI quattro is entry level A8 L diesel, but still even with that engine, Audi will win. :thumb:

:cheers:

Leadfoot
November 16th, 2007, 23:01
What this proves is that every manufacturer is being forced by the governments around the world to beat a die horse in persisting with this hybrid technology.

When will they finally see that it's not the future and finally accept that they need to look down different paths.

Benman
November 16th, 2007, 23:11
When will they finally see that it's not the future and finally accept that they need to look down different paths.

The "Pro environment" crowd is the one pushing that here (generally know as the left ;)). There is very little that can be done to stop it. 99% of politicians would rather hold their fingers up in the wind before making a decision. Heck, last week, NBC (one of the US's main TV stations) had a "Green Week". Made me sick. They even had the studio go "darK" while the anchors were talking, to save electricity...

Discovery channel says each adult male orangatang needs 10,000 acres (15.625 square miles) but our tv stations need to go dark. Give me a break...

ZeroCool
November 17th, 2007, 00:05
this thing about the CO2 and so on is just a political thing...nothing more...

They should start somewhere else to minimize the production of Co2 .. not at the Cars...

Just an example is Google.com...

... there are 40 Million Searches/Day
... they have 31654 Servers (!!!) --> (2*2GHz, 2GB RAM und 80GB HDD)
... each Search produces 6,8 gram CO2
... each Search produces as much CO2 as you produce with your car when you drive 56 Meter.

So take this 56 Meter and multiply this with 40.000.000 searches/day and you get a looooooooooot of Kilometers which you have to drive to reach that CO2-output...

A second Example is the Web-Game "Second Life" ...

... one Avatar of Second Life 332kg CO2/year
... that's 2734km with a car...

I don't know how many users they have..but i think there are some of them :D

-----------

So for me this is only a political thing....they should start to reduce the CO2-Output somewhere else...

Sorry it was a little bit OffTopic - but i had to say that...

AndyBG
November 17th, 2007, 01:20

They should start somewhere else to minimize the production of Co2 .. not at the Cars...

Just an example is Google.com...

... there are 40 Million Searches/Day
... they have 31654 Servers (!!!) --> (2*2GHz, 2GB RAM und 80GB HDD)
... each Search produces 6,8 gram CO2
... each Search produces as much CO2 as you produce with your car when you drive 56 Meter.

So take this 56 Meter and multiply this with 40.000.000 searches/day and you get a looooooooooot of Kilometers which you have to drive to reach that CO2-output...

A second Example is the Web-Game "Second Life" ...

... one Avatar of Second Life 332kg CO2/year
... that's 2734km with a car...

I don't know how many users they have..but i think there are some of them :D

-----------

So for me this is only a political thing....they should start to reduce the CO2-Output somewhere else...

:applause: :thumb:

Benman
November 20th, 2007, 00:38

Best Post of 2007 award!!!:applause: :applause: :cheers:

AndyBG
November 20th, 2007, 00:53

Absolutely wright ! :applause:

ZeroCool
November 20th, 2007, 15:05

Are you serious...or are you just kidding? :vhmmm: :)

Benman
November 20th, 2007, 19:58
Are you serious...or are you just kidding? :vhmmm: :)

Dead serious. I get tired of tree huggers and all those "green" companies mouthing off. This puts things in perspective for them. :applause:

ZeroCool
November 20th, 2007, 21:20
ah ok :)

i thought you were kidding :)
This Article is really my top Favorite Site on Internet Explorer. Also i'm studying Automotive Engineering, so if somebody starts something to talk about this "CO2-Thing", i'm the first one who is going to show him this site :D

And believe me a lot of them, have changed their thinking, after that.

Dalibor