PDA

View Full Version : rs6 in the usa is a "safe option" according to autoweek

skiwi
November 12th, 2007, 06:34
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071108/FREE/71107011/1065

Copper
November 12th, 2007, 15:33
I agree. I think the RS6 will come to the USA regardless of what people are saying. They are building up the demand for the car here. My local dealer is willing to take a $1000 deposit for the RS6 Sedan after coming back from an Audi dealer's meeting to discuss 2008 models. I asked the general manager if the car is coming and he said Audi did not confirm or deny this. Which to him means "yes, it's coming".

I'm #1 on the list.

Benman
November 12th, 2007, 18:23
Just remember that if it does arrive here, it will likely not come at the price members here are expecting it to. The same Autoweek also said the MkI RS 6 would cost $60K USD when it arrived (so did Motortrend) and I have the mags to prove it. We all know the base was $82.7K so they were off by @28%

If it comes be prepared for $110-$120K for a "stripper" and $130-$150K for a loaded model.

Ben:addict:

Audiphile
November 13th, 2007, 03:00
Just remember that if it does arrive here, it will likely not come at the price members here are expecting it to. The same Autoweek also said the MkI RS 6 would cost $60K USD when it arrived (so did Motortrend) and I have the mags to prove it. We all know the base was $82.7K so they were off by @28%

If it comes be prepared for $110-$120K for a "stripper" and $130-$150K for a loaded model.

That's fine Ben. As long as it can match the "luxury amenties" of current upper crust Audis like the S6, S8 and A8L, then I'm sold. It's the engine we are after with flared fenders. The seats are currently available on the S6 and most features in terms of luxury are already in the S6. Only thing would be lane departure, B&O. The rest are already part of the S6 package and it starts at $73K, though it will run you around $85K to leave the dealership. I think 110-120K is reasonable for a fully loaded RS6.

My dealer says Audi will make the decision within 90 days and they too are willing to except deposits as they it looks likely. But as we know, this could change anytime.

chewym
November 13th, 2007, 03:25

Not true.

Audi USA Audi of Germany

RS4 Cab: 81,900 USD 85,050 Euro

R8: 109,000 USD 104,400 Euro

Audi A8L W12: 120,100 USD 124,300 Euro

Audi RS6 Sedan: ??? USD 101,750 Euro

The German RS6 price is for the more expensive Avant, the S6 Avant is 2,250 euro more than the S6 sedan. The US RS6 Sedan should be cheaper than the R8.

Audiphile
November 13th, 2007, 03:59

Hey Ben,

You make good points, but I think Audi can make the price of the RS6 sedan competitive for the US. Yes, it will cost more than its M and AMG counterparts, and it should as it will be superior to them. But remember the RS6 is basically an A6. Audi can piggyback its federalization off th A6 as the RS6 is a derivative of the A6. The engine is already in a sense availabe within the Audi Group on the S6 and S8 models not to mention Audi-owned Lambo. Therefore, the R&D costs for the engine have been spread out over these model ranges now for awhile with Audi recovering its costs on these various model lines. Adding more models lines decreases the overall final price to Audi. The RS6 inside is really an S6 with some minor cosmetic changes. The seats are already federalized, so I do not think the cost to make the RS6 legal in the US is such a barrier. All the features on the RS6 are available on other Audi models for the most part. Its the mark-up that Audi will add and the dollar to euro conversion that are the variables.:rs4addict :addict:

Ben since you are a moderater, how come there are no S6 banners?:rolleyes: Can you add an S6 banner?

Benman
November 13th, 2007, 16:34
Ben since you are a moderater, how come there are no S6 banners?:rolleyes: Can you add an S6 banner?

That would be Erik territory. ;)

If the seats will be the same, that will save a bunch. If the steering wheel will be the same, again, a bunch will be saved. But leave it to the DOT to claim the same body has to be re-federalized. The RS 6 MkI underwent DOT costs excluding the seats. The US DOT still rapes car manufacturers especially when they are low volume.

Chewy,

I completely understand what you are saying. It is true that past models have continued to be priced favorably in the US. My point is that the time is soon coming when the piper will be payed. It is possible I am wrong and the RS 6 will "sneak" in before paying up time comes, but sooner or later, the price of cars will be priced accordingly. Sooner or later the US consumer will feel the price pinch at the dealer.

People are bitching and moaning about the "evil" gas companies doubling the price of gas of the last 6 years. Well, hate to break it to them, but the price of milk has also just about doubled over the same time period. Where are all the complaints of "evil" farmers? Car manufatures have done a great job hedging against the falling dollar. But time is running out on "cheap" imports. In just 4 years the USD has lost nearly 40% against both the Canadian Dollar & the Euro yet our imports from them have not matched those rises... yet. Think about the CA $ vs the USD for a moment. That means the US government has inflated our fiat currency (CA & Eruo is fiat also) @10% ANNUALLY above and beyond the inflation rates found in Canada and Europe. That is an astonishing statistic (actually, dang scarey as well).

The US can not continue the current inflation rates and expect to enjoy "cheap" imports. The time is fast approaching for the consumers here to cry uncle.

chewym
November 14th, 2007, 01:37
Sure that's true. I also think that BMW and possibly Mercedes are more likely to continue to sell cars in US at a nice discount, while Audi wouldn't be able to do so for much longer. This could make the RS6 a no show/ have a hard time with the pricing that you predict.

Hopefully Audi can work the price/volume tradeoff with the RS6. The RS6 is actually only about 85,000 Euro without the 19% VAT. Which is still 124k here. So the final exchange difference is about 20,000.

RAMBLER
November 14th, 2007, 03:09
I asked my local Audi dealer today what was up with the RS6, and he told me not to get my hopes up, it more then likely wouldn't be coming across the ocean. I asked him which one was he talking about the Avant or the Sedan, he said neither!!:noshake: :cry: