PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Options and US delivery

Carl Lassiter
November 8th, 2007, 23:09
Hi guys, I'm new to the board. Just didn't know it was out there. I live in SoCal and drive a 2006 S4 Tiptronic.

I have a $5,000 deposit at both Keyes Audi in Van Nuys and Beverly Hills Audi for the forthcoming RS6. However, I seem to know far more than the dealer about the vehicle so went on the net and luckily found this site. I'm a member at MBWorld so know the rules about searching the forum before making posts but I found a lot of the threads were very jumbled.

I know much about the car as I've been anticipating its release for the last 18 months. I know that the Avant reaches Europe in the spring but in the US we'll only get the sedan version and have to wait until fall 08. So, here are my questions.

1) Does anyone know 100% we will receive the sedan in the US? I have been told yes by the dealers as they took my (refundable) deposits but they don't have a definitive date.

2) Will the black optics pack be part of the options? A friend in NorthEast England has a B7 RS4 with all the chrome (except the wing mirrors) deleted and it looks great, as did the last generation RS6Plus.

3) Will the 20" wheels make it to the States? I ask because only 18" wheels were offered on the 2003 model and not the 19" which were supplied in Europe. I am in love with the titanium colored 20s and 420mm ceramic brakes.

4) Is DSC (I belive it is the third incarnation) an option or standard equipment? It is a must have as the suspension on my S4 is very unsettled when hitting bumps mid-corner and not a patch on my previous 996.

5) Will the Bang & Olufsen sound system be available?

6) Will it be possible to delete the sunroof to maintain a lower center of gravity?

7) What is the "sports exhaust" Audi spoke of in their press release? Surely the standard exhaust system shpuld be sporty as it is. Will it maintain the far more desirable twin-pipe setup or revert to the quad pipes ala the S4/S6?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm pleased to have found this site which Erik seems to have done a great job with.

DuckWingDuck
November 9th, 2007, 02:47
1. No. According to AoA VP that someone mentioned a while ago, it's still not 100% certain that it will come and my boy the DoM also can't promise anything in fact he doesn't think it's likely before '09.

2. Black Optics was available in the RS6 in Europe but never made it here. I doubt it will come.

3. You can always upgrade! As the car isn't even slated to come here, nobody knows about any potential options.

4. DRC, is standard.

5. Refer to point 3.

6. I doubt it.

7. It's like the black tipped sports exhaust on the RS6, it just make it sound better.

Hy Octane
November 9th, 2007, 18:38
Its not coming here. Best is to hope for the RS5 sometime next year. 450 hp tt v8.

Benman
November 9th, 2007, 18:52
1. No. According to AoA VP that someone mentioned a while ago..

Yes, unfortunately, that is correct. I can vouch for Jimmy's credibility. He was one of those looking forward to the new RS 6 so certainly wouldn't make crap up. As of now, no "official" plans to bring it here. There'd have to be tremendous support (emails and nagging) for AoA to bring it Stateside...

Best bet is to get that $10K back and put it into interest bearing accounts for the next two years... :cheers:

Ben:addict:

Carl Lassiter
November 9th, 2007, 19:26
Yes, unfortunately, that is correct. I can vouch for Jimmy's credibility. He was one of those looking forward to the new RS 6 so certainly wouldn't make crap up. As of now, no "official" plans to bring it here. There'd have to be tremendous support (emails and nagging) for AoA to bring it Stateside...

Best bet is to get that $10K back and put it into interest bearing accounts for the next two years... :cheers:

Thank you for the responses. However, they are not exactly music to my ears.

Good lord, my day is ruined. This seems to be an absolutley ridiculous decision by Audi. With the RS4 they were really starting to carve a name for themselves in the performance category. The '03 RS6 sold well too so this seems utterly senseless.

What address should I e-mail at AoA? I know it may have no effect but we should all work on the principle that small acorns lead to great oaks.

So it looks like it's an M5 for me then. The RS5 is too small, only two door and likely not enough of a step up in a straightline from my S4. However, I'd be devestated to plonk down $90k for a loaded M5 and then find out GmbH had figured out their ass from their nose.

I have a friend of a friend who was formerly head of Lamborghini America and I'm expecting a call from him over the next few days. I'll let you know if he backs up your guys findings or can offer a glimmer of hope on what is looking an increasingly dark situation.

DuckWingDuck
November 9th, 2007, 19:38
Looks, I know that the M5 performs like hell but seriously, it looks like a POS. The previous generation M5 (and even 5 series) looks night and day better than the current generation.

The 5 is not necessarily that much smaller than a 4. Don't let the fact that it's a coupe fool you. I rode around in Commonwealth Audi's S5, it's surprisingly nice. In fact, the 5 wheel base is 4" longer than the 4 and overall a larger car.

LIRS6
November 9th, 2007, 20:04
The '03 RS6 sold well too so this seems utterly senseless.

Not quite correct - the first 850 or so sold well, the last couple hundred took many months to sell.

Benman
November 9th, 2007, 20:19
Thank you for the responses. However, they are not exactly music to my ears.

Good lord, my day is ruined...

Carl,

Really sorry to bum you out, not my intention at all.

Here's to hoping AoA comes around for all those interested.

But please keep in mind the car will likely be north of $125K, and considering the continual downward spiral of the USD, I would hardly be suprised if AoA would have to price the car close to $150K USD. That be be far and away the most expensive Audi ever sold here. When the MkI RS 6 came here, it was priced only $5-7K more than the current (at the time) S8. It would be all but impossible for Audi to repeat that pricing level with the new MkII RS 6. I really think that (the plummeting USD) has a lot to do with AoA and Audi AG's decision to not bring the RS 6 Stateside.

BLITZEN
November 9th, 2007, 21:16
It's not a profit question. And isn't just the value of the USD. Consider also 1) modifications needed to pass US specs and 2) the tech training and support that's needed to have parts and maintenance programs up to satisfactory customer service standards. No matter the price they can fetch, there's a break-even point of hundreds or thousands of cars needed to offset these fixed costs, before even $1 of profit is made.

I wouldn't be surprised if both the American RS6 and American RS4 cars made any profit for Audi and if so, I bet it wasn't significant compared to Audi's total net revenues. The decision to offer these cars is more a brand image move, than it is profit-minded. These cars help boost the sales of A4's and A6's.

Carl, if you don't want to be one of the minions of M5 owners, also consider Maserati. Good luck!

DuckWingDuck
November 9th, 2007, 21:30
Maseratis are awesome but I don't think the performance is quite there.

Audiphile
November 9th, 2007, 21:43
Carl,

Really sorry to bum you out, not my intention at all.

Here's to hoping AoA comes around for all those interested.

But please keep in mind the car will likely be north of $125K, and considering the continual downward spiral of the USD, I would hardly be suprised if AoA would have to price the car close to $150K USD. That be be far and away the most expensive Audi ever sold here. When the MkI RS 6 came here, it was priced only $5-7K more than the current (at the time) S8. It would be all but impossible for Audi to repeat that pricing level with the new MkII RS 6. I really think that (the plummeting USD) has a lot to do with AoA and Audi AG's decision to not bring the RS 6 Stateside.

Though the dollar is a factor, I am not sure that can explain the reasoning if any by AoA. Personally, I think they are very foolish if they cannot make the RS6 Sedan work in the US. If anything, they should take a loss to as the RS6 serves an important role in Audi's performance and technology credentials and enhanced image as with the R8. Audi doesn't sell that many A8L W12s here either, but they will always offer their flagship here and it can run near $150,000 at the top. It may seem dark now, but I think that the RS6 sedan will find its way here eventually.

DuckWingDuck
November 9th, 2007, 22:18
Well, that's the thing. The A8L is their FLAGSHIP. So, obviously it will come but the RS6 being a very niche car slots in somewhere else. The M5 and E63 programs have existed in the US for quite a while now (hell, I think the M5 is 90% manufactured out of BMW's Greensboro fab).

Audiphile
November 9th, 2007, 23:30
I did call AoA when the annoucement was made regarding not bringing the RS6 here and they transferred me to an "RS6 liaison" that stated that Audi of American has received alot of requests for the RS6 and is currently looking at all options. So, this was not a definite no, but I guess it demands who you talk to in the feudal chain of Audi. I guess it will be up to the "Lord of the Rings" in Inglostadt to make that final decision.

DuckWingDuck
November 10th, 2007, 00:42
Hehe, undoubtedly. In the meantime, continue to rub those magic 8-balls!

RXBG
November 10th, 2007, 02:55
no one knows for sure. but i can assure you that this guy believes 110% that the RS6 will go for sale here in the US. but it will be the sedan only.

audi will defintely sell it for a loss while limiting its number.

i'd guess it'll go for about 100K- close to the price of the R8 and it'll probably be sold pretty much loaded- maybe with only nav and one or two other options.

i really don't think it'll be sold for much more because audi will know the loss is there and any attempt to nickle and dime its way up in order to minimize the already sizable loss could jeopardize the quick sell out it wants this car to have for marketing/brand progression/cachet purposes.

this means the good (it will be sold)

and the bad (very few people will get to have one).................... and ben will have a mother of a decision to make... :hihi:

BLITZEN
November 10th, 2007, 04:42
no one knows for sure. but i can assure you that this guy believes 110% that the RS6 will go for sale here in the US. but it will be the sedan only.

audi will defintely sell it for a loss while limiting its number. Definitely sell?

i'd guess it'll go for about 100K- close to the price of the R8 and it'll probably be sold pretty much loaded- maybe with only nav and one or two other options.

i really don't think it'll be sold for much more because audi will know the loss is there and any attempt to nickle and dime its way up in order to minimize the already sizable loss could jeopardize the quick sell out it wants this car to have for marketing/brand progression/cachet purposes.

VERY Intelligent points backing up what I said which lead me to wonder...

If Audi announced that the RS6 would be sold in America, wouldn't it cannibalize European sales as price conscious folks would try to get their hands on American cars at lower prices?

Carl Lassiter
November 12th, 2007, 01:12
Blitzen- I don't think Europen sales would be affected as the US release will be highly limited. Additionally, there are the import costs and conversion from mph-kmh.

RXBG- I truly hope you are correct. I had an in depth car chat yesterday with my grearhead friends and we agreed that this is the only car I really want. The new Cayenne Turbo is nice but not the image I want and it's an SUV, the E63 is a little dull for me, as much as I like the car overall. This leaves just the M5. However, living in the city the SMG and the lack of low-end torque would likely make it slower than my S4 on a day to day basis.

Benman- I apreciate your considered responses. However, I'm not so sure that it would cost $150k. If loaded with Ceramic brakes and B&O sound system then $120k is my pre-tax guess but I'd stil pay that as I think it'll (finally) be a car I'll keep for 5 years.

Audiphile- I agree that it would be a big mistake from audi not to bring the RS6 over here.

DuckWingDuck- Believe me, I'm touching wood, crossing fingers and rubbing magic 8 balls. We need this car stateside.

Audiphile
November 12th, 2007, 02:36
Carl,

Like you I want the RS6 as well and am willing to pay for it. I talked to my general manager at my dealer and he stated that Audi of America will definitely announce their decision on the RS6 Sedan (or Avant, not sure) in the next 90 days. He has this formally from AoA. It's leaning towards yes. Let us hope so and keep our fingers crossed, touching wood, and rubbing magic 8 balls.

By the way, you should consider Pacific Audi in Torrance. I used to go to Keyes. They cannot hold a candle to Pacific and the team there. They are one of the dealers in SoCal that moves a high level of high-end Audis as compared to the others in the region and they know how to handle customers like this.

DuckWingDuck
November 12th, 2007, 02:42
I can't recommend Commonwealth Audi down here in Irvine enough. Esp. my main sales guy, John.

Audiphile
November 12th, 2007, 03:49
I'm sorry to hear that regarding Commonwealth Audi. I initally dealt with Keyes Audi in Van Nuys, but once my sales person left, I wasn't too impressed by them. Plus, their dealership looks like s*&t as they keep talking about building a new facility like many of the Audi dealers in SoCal have done or are beginning. Pacific Audi has been one positive experience after another for me anyway. Their treatment has been first class and continues to be so. They have signed me up for the the upcoming R8 Audi Driving Experience in Ontario, and have also signed me up for the two-day S8 Driving Experience at the new Audi Forum Sonoma at Infineon Raceway. Those are pretty costly events, all on their dime. They do take care of me quite well! From my experience, I would recommend them to anyone considering purshasing and Audi and expecially the high-end ones. They also seem to get cars faster than most dealers.

DuckWingDuck
November 12th, 2007, 04:27
Audiphile - Damn, that is pretty good service. I was at the Audi Driving Experience today. Only did the 2 hour thing as I'm waiting on my buddy to get back to me regarding getting the half day event comped. Mind talking to your sales guy to see if he could comp me? :D

Maybe it's time to start going to Pacific Audi! Who's your sales guy there? And I see that you've gotten quite a number of Audis through them so they've certainly made their money on you! ;)

Incidentally, I was saying that Commonwealth Audi is a good dealership. But again, damn, not as nice as Pacific Audi comping you to those events!!

Benman
November 12th, 2007, 18:13
...and ben will have a mother of a decision to make... :hihi:

I'll never get the chance since it will not be sold for that price. $100K is far too unrealistic, especially a fully loaded one.

Once again, we will not get the seats and other high end options offered to Europe. I am not trying to be a bummer, but it is just not economical for Audi AG to commit the car for less than what it is selling for over there on top of all the penaties that they must pay to the DOT and other such outrageous US red tape agencies just to make 800 or so folks happy. There is a several million dollar process (which is a total joke most of us realize) to make the car "safe" for US roads. This several million can come north of $4K per car, and although that doesn't sound like much, that is completely above the manufacturing costs for the European market.

On top of all that, we in the US must eventually come to terms of our weakening dollar. The car manufactures have all bought hedges for this very reason (they don't want to lose the US market) but the time to pay the piper is fast approaching.

I'd like to remind the long term members here that several years back, Robin (Nordschleife) and I had a discussion of the exchange rate of the Euro to the USD and we both agreed that it would get worse. Well, that was when the exchange rate was around 1 Euro=$1.05-$1.10USD... now we are at $1.46... The manufactures can not continue to lose profits for their "biggest" market, especially with the emergence of China. There is a ton of economics involved and the US dollar (wether we would like to admit it or not) is facing annual inflation rates of double digits. This does play a big factor in long term pricing of imported commodoties (and cars) here. Short term, the car manufactures have continued to cater to us, long term, the party will be over.

Sorry if I am comming off as "Dr. Doom" but we need to realize this fact of life and prepare accordingly.

So yeah, I am willing to forcast that if the RS 6 MkII comes Stateside, it will either:

A: come fully "decked" out @ $130-$150K or...
B: come as a "stripper" model and still cost $110-$120K

And yes, you can quote me on that. I'll be more than happy to eat a big heaping serving of crow pie if I am proven incorrect. :D

Audiphile
November 13th, 2007, 02:46
Duckwingduck:

I realize I miss read your statement. I am actually glad that Commonwealth Audi is a good experience. Right now, it is important for Audi to get its NA dealers in line with its global prestige and its global strategy by presenting an exclusive buying experience for all customers. I mean today Audi AG annouced that Audi Australia Pty Ltd (Audi) has this week announced its plan to build a $50 million dollar brand ‘lighthouse development’ in Sydney, on South Dowling Street. This is a eight-level, 12,000+ square metre facility, developed by AUDI AG and designed by Audi’s master architect Johnson Pilton Walker, incorporating a flagship retail showroom and customer facilities, after-sales center and commercial space. It will also be used as a brand forum for events and new product launches.

Audi needs to do the same here in the states and its dealers will play a key role in new facilities and an upper buying experience. Audi owns a large parcel of land in Santa Monica and is planning to build a Audi terminal dealership, the biggest on the West Coast if plans get finalized. LaCarGuys.com might lease it from them and move Pacific Audi there eliminating Santa Monica Audi altogether (it is about time!). So, I have been told.

But, I digress. I have a dealt with Pacific Audi for many years and loyality to a dealership is very imporant and it does pay off if the experience there remains good. Of course, dealing with Audi enthusiasts that are PA sales people helps as well. The people make the difference. For example, Trent (the sales manager) and I take our S6s out for runs once in awhile. I have established strong relationships with many people @ PA to the point that they are family. I only deal with the sales and general managers Chris and Trent. They handle all my tranactions, orders and purchases. They know exactly how I want my Audis. I never have to see a sales associate. There is no need since I deal with the sales and general manager directly. Yeah, they have made a lot of money of me, but I didn't have to buy if I didn't want to:cheers: . They also saved me money over the years as well and got me the cars exactly the way I wanted and faster than usual. For example, I wanted new rims recently. Got them the next day from PA, at their cost, and no labor charge. Saved quite a bit there.

DuckWingDuck
November 13th, 2007, 06:48
Audiphile, definitely agree with you on all points and hopefully one of these days we'll meet up and you can introduce me to the gang at PA.

Audiphile
November 13th, 2007, 20:22
DuckWingDuck:

I'll be glad to introduce you to the gang there anytime. They like talking Audis. Send me your e-mail via private message. I have been put on the RS6 waiting list at my dealer. They seem very confident of the sedan arriving especially since Chris was hinting at possible color and trim packages already.

DuckWingDuck
November 13th, 2007, 21:57
Audiphile, got it, replied via PM!

Benman
November 14th, 2007, 00:46
DuckWing,

Audiphile (Richard) is a cool guy. It will be worth the trip.:cheers:

See you guys Saturday.