PDA

View Full Version : Which is faster - Stock RS6 or Stock RS4?

Aronis
November 8th, 2007, 03:17
I recall the "official" 0-60 for the RS6 was 4.3 seconds, and now read the RS4 number is 4.5 sec.

Which is faster in stock form?

Just cureous...

Funny to see the new year old RS4 being compared to the up coming M3 which is due in the US in the First Quarter 2009, yes, 2009....be nice to have a S4 vs M3 same model year, same "new model"...

Mike

DuckWingDuck
November 8th, 2007, 03:34
Faster around the track or faster quarter? I would say the fact that the RS4 is over 1,000lbs lighter and manual shift would make the RS4 nose ahead.

FWIW, the RS4 "feels" faster. I love my RS6 but riding in the RS4 is a scarier ride. Not that it necessarily means the RS4 _is_ a faster car.

Interestingly, I think I read somewhere that same model year S4 was faster around the track than the RS6 because of curb weight.

PeterH
November 8th, 2007, 06:02
may just be because the RS4 is still in the break in period, but my RS6 feels faster than the RS4. Plus, my RS4 is the cabrio version and I have not seen reliable data on performance yet for the drop-top compared to the sedan. I am guessing the cab has a weight disadvantage.

DuckWingDuck
November 8th, 2007, 06:52
Numbers on the RS4 cabriolet is 4.9 for 0-100kph (factory numbers, so you know, grain of salt necessary), so @ 420bhp and roughly 4,000lbs, I would say that ya, compared to the RS6 the cabriolet is probably slower. Though probably not by much!

Speedou
November 8th, 2007, 16:27
And Turbo cars feels faster than N/A.

ruxprncd
November 8th, 2007, 16:48
Faster around the track or faster quarter? I would say the fact that the RS4 is over 1,000lbs lighter and manual shift would make the RS4 nose ahead.

FWIW, the RS4 "feels" faster. I love my RS6 but riding in the RS4 is a scarier ride. Not that it necessarily means the RS4 _is_ a faster car.

Interestingly, I think I read somewhere that same model year S4 was faster around the track than the RS6 because of curb weight.

You must have meant to say '100lbs lighter'! About 150lbs difference, IIRC.

DuckWingDuck
November 8th, 2007, 20:06
You must have meant to say '100lbs lighter'! About 150lbs difference, IIRC.

Er.. ya, got my math wrong.

B7 RS4 (non cabriolet) - 1680kg (3704lb)
RS6 - 1865kg (4117lb)

~200kilos.

gjg
November 8th, 2007, 20:19
I recall the "official" 0-60 for the RS6 was 4.3 seconds, and now read the RS4 number is 4.5 sec.

Which is faster in stock form?

Just cureous... Mike

Mike, I had an "extended" run with RS4 Avant on A2/A14 about 3 weeks ago in relatively light traffic and it was bit frustrating for RS4 driver - high beams flash behind me, moved to right lane WOT, back to left lane after few seconds because he could not even keep up, speed between 160-260. Above that, I'm gone. that's with about 100 kg of junk in my trunk, full tank and yours truly not being the lightest ... :jlol:

But RS4 looks and sounds really nice, we ended up with :thumb: ...... Stock RS6 could be (probably) slightly better, driver, road and temp depending...

UrS6_Driver
November 8th, 2007, 21:43
I would have to guess that from a roll the RS6 would have the advantage but if we are talking anything twisty the weight disadvantage for the RS6 is undeniable.

:rs4addict+:addict:=:heart:

DuckWingDuck
November 8th, 2007, 22:43
Unless you shove that RS4 off a canyon road!!! :D

AuditudeA642
November 8th, 2007, 23:33
The RS6 was a great car for its time but the RS4 is indeed faster. From 0-60 the best number i have ever seen stock is 4.3 (DaveyKid) i have had my RS4 at 4.22 with my Vag Com performance meter. I have driven an RS6 hard and its not as fast as the RS6 off the roll either. My RS4 weighs 3900lbs and the RS6 weights around 4400. There is a couple of videos of RS6 and RS4 here is one off the role. RS4 is significantly faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVqCLck_YxM

rs-mad
November 9th, 2007, 02:46
AuditideA642 - What error rate are you recording in Vag-com? I have got mine down to 0.18s, I will be comparing to my new G-Tech when it arrives as they only have 0.1s error.

Spidercat
November 10th, 2007, 05:16
Mike, I had an "extended" run with RS4 Avant on A2/A14 about 3 weeks ago in relatively light traffic and it was bit frustrating for RS4 driver - high beams flash behind me, moved to right lane WOT, back to left lane after few seconds because he could not even keep up, speed between 160-260. Above that, I'm gone. that's with about 100 kg of junk in my trunk, full tank and yours truly not being the lightest ... :jlol:

But RS4 looks and sounds really nice, we ended up with :thumb: ...... Stock RS6 could be (probably) slightly better, driver, road and temp depending...

gjg,

Great story! I guess every once in a while it's good to keep the pecking order straight! :bow: :addict:

Leadfoot
November 10th, 2007, 09:15
If you think about it logically then the RS4 should be a little quicker, look at the facts of why.

1/WEIGHT - RS4 weighs roughly 200kgs less
2/POWER - RS6 has a little more but it's only 30hp
3/TRANSMISSION - RS4 is a manual compared to the RS6 which is an auto so it's wasteing at least an extra 5~8% of it's power.

Based on all of the above up to 120mph the RS4 should be ahead by around 3~4 lengths, after which point I believe the RS6 will haul it in again due to it's extra torque.

It's a shame the race in the video did go to about 160mph because I think you would have seen the RS6 catching it.

ruxprncd
November 10th, 2007, 12:37
Regarding weight: Duckwingduck listed weights with a ~400lb/200kg difference, but Edmunds.com lists the RS6 as 4024lbs, and the RS4 sedan as 3903 lbs.

I know that curb weights aren't always reported accurately...!...does anyone know definitively what the RS6 weight is?

DuckWingDuck
November 10th, 2007, 18:03
It's somewhere in there. 4k to 4.1k.

bober3
November 10th, 2007, 22:37
i think the RS4 is faster because of the manual 6 speed transmission compred to 5 speed automatic rs6

thats majke the difference

Antagonist
November 11th, 2007, 23:58
I won't believe the hype until I go toe to toe with one myself. You can never take youtube all that seriously either. I've seen M3's beating up on RS6's...please. I eat them up on a regular basis. I'll chime in once I've had a chance to run with one.

Aronis
November 12th, 2007, 00:30
I won't believe the hype until I go toe to toe with one myself. You can never take youtube all that seriously either. I've seen M3's beating up on RS6's...please. I eat them up on a regular basis. I'll chime in once I've had a chance to run with one.

Got me confused....that car are you driving?

I've gotten along side of Vettes, M3s S4's, none can touch the RS6.....unless they were not trying....

DuckWingDuck
November 12th, 2007, 01:32
Aronis, you've beaten a Z06?

DuckWingDuck
November 12th, 2007, 01:36

That is exactly what I tried to do today when I was at the Audi Driving Experience event in Fontana, there were a couple RS4s there and we chatted briefly about lining them up but the bastards at Audi stopped us.

Though some of the girls who were working there are kinda cute.....

Antagonist
November 12th, 2007, 15:40
Got me confused....that car are you driving?

I've gotten along side of Vettes, M3s S4's, none can touch the RS6.....unless they were not trying....

I'm driving an RS6. I should probably update my profile to reflect that. I'm also at 5280ft above sea level where turbos provide a significant advantage over NA engines.

Antagonist
November 12th, 2007, 15:42

Has anyone here beaten a Z06? That's one car I usually give the nod to. Very fast even up here at altitude.

Erik
November 12th, 2007, 15:45
Has anyone here beaten a Z06?

The Ruf R Turbo was faster when we tested :hihi:

Antagonist
November 12th, 2007, 16:03
Are you sure Erik!? ;)

Rutkowsky
November 12th, 2007, 16:11
I had a go against RS6 in my current M3 and RS6 doesn't exactly kill e46 M3 at all. I don't go by youtube either but i had two instances where RS6 was just slightly faster

Antagonist
November 12th, 2007, 16:39
Really? You must be the exception because I usually walk them pretty good. The latest runs were from 60 to about 120 and it wasn't pretty. Raced one from a dig a couple of months ago and it was more of a fight but still not a race. I also NEVER instigate the race so they almost always have the jump on me. As I mentioned earlier I'm also at 5280ft and have 2 more cylinders and a couple of turbos to boot. I have a ton of respect for the M3 and if I wasn’t so broke these days I would own one in a heartbeat. For a N/A V6 it certainly hauls the mail.

Rutkowsky
November 12th, 2007, 18:01
Hi, the altitude you are at, does no favours whatsoever to NA engines, they loose about 10-15 % power. I used to own RS6 myself so am not making up anything, just my experience. I still admire RS6, and believe me, if i could afford another one, i would. But price tag is not the only thing you worry about unfortunately, maintenance .. could cost a lot. M3, when you buy a good example is very very reliable car, and much better on fuel to RS6, not that it matters to me much but it is

Antagonist
November 12th, 2007, 18:14
N/A engines really do suffer up here and it makes owning a RS6 that much more enjoyable. Ohhh please don't remind me of the maintenance cost! I'm no longer under warranty and on my own now!

DuckWingDuck
November 12th, 2007, 22:35
Heh@Erik. At the same Audi Driving Experience event there was a dude who rolled up in his Z06. Marveluous looking car.

Aronis
November 13th, 2007, 01:37

just regular Vettes

rs-mad
November 13th, 2007, 07:29
a friend just purchased a E63 and il be surely linning him up soon, il keep you guys posted but my RS6 is very hard tuned so its not exactly "stock"

DuckWingDuck
November 13th, 2007, 18:22
An E63 will only beat an E55 at the top end so I think even stock RS6 should be able to take it in a quarter miler.

Antagonist
November 13th, 2007, 22:17
a friend just purchased a E63 and il be surely linning him up soon, il keep you guys posted but my RS6 is very hard tuned so its not exactly "stock"

What kind of work do you have done if you don't mind me asking?

ruxprncd
November 13th, 2007, 23:21

rs-mad: what launch technique do you use? I've tried brake-torquing to 2000rpm a few times, but even with that method the spool-up/launch is mediocre at best. aside from the slow-ish launch, my car pulls *very* hard.

BLITZEN
November 13th, 2007, 23:40
It humors me to read these (mostly American) posts. The same thing's being said at m3.com, m5board.com, and so on. I regularly get challenged by M3's etc. on city streets. They must think their cars are faster since I won't race over 50mph in the city. I don't even get to 3rd gear.

DuckWingDuck
November 13th, 2007, 23:50
Thank god these kids rolling around in their M3s in Irvine are too stupid to recognize my car. Not too many runs for me, thankfully, with the gas prices skyrocketing every half an hour!!