PDA

View Full Version : RS6 vs E55?

rsjoe
June 11th, 2003, 15:06
My RS6 is on board a ship right now. The problem I'm having is the price point relative to an E55. I've never owned an audi before and what scares me most is the potential of a first year plummet in resale value on this overpriced car! What makes this car so unique that it's priced so high relative to the E55 or M5?

jconley
June 11th, 2003, 15:29
Well, audi's are just a little different the BMWs and Mercs- Sort of in the middle as far as driver involvement, but the refinement of the product is top-notch.

You will take a hit in value- The RS6 WILL depreciate, and probably more than the E55, and possibly the M5.

You will probably be able to sell it quickly if you get it and don't like it.

J

iconcls
June 11th, 2003, 15:44
One is either an "Audi Guy" or not.

RS 6 Audi Guys like:

1. AWD!!!!!!!!!!

2. Stealthy nature of the car.

3. "Down Low" nature of the car; Audis don't scream "Hey! Look at what I can afford" (although, 9 of 10 AMG and M5 guys are way over leveraged.) ;-)

4. Uniqueness of the car; where I hail from, AMGs and M5s are everywhere.

5. Build quality / quality of materials.

6. Perhaps willing to take a larger hit in depreciation because of the above.

These are few of the more abstract reason to own an Audi; the technical reasons are fairly obvious.

quattro
June 11th, 2003, 19:30
Unchipped the RS6 is slower than the E55 in a straight line. However the use of slow feels unappropriate for some reason.
Give the tarmac some rain and it's :byeM5: to E55 and M5.
The E55 has a slightly better gearbox, but the RS6 is not at all bad. On the other hand it is more sporty with the paddles, the E55 has a similar thing but it's not the same at all.

E55 is not at all bad, but Audi is No1 in quality and fabric. The RS6 is better than any A6 in that feeling.

The RS6 is very easy to drive fast with, and is glued to the ground with DRC and quattro. Your grandmother could easily outrun an E55 or M5 time after time if there's a little rain on the ground. With an M5 she would probably stall the engine.
The E55 and certainly the M5 are more challenging.
Even my most hardcore M5-fans tell me they would not buy the M5 since it's too old.

Gabriel343
June 11th, 2003, 19:49
New M5 will have V10 atmospheric 500 hp 9000 rpm and SMG

Erik
June 11th, 2003, 19:57
Originally posted by Gabriel343
New M5 will have V10 atmospheric 500 hp 9000 rpm and SMG

Yes, but you can still not buy it. We're talking cars that are on a ship on its way to the owner...

The MB E73 AMG will have afterburner and the next RS6 will have a Lambo V10 as well so let's stick with cars that money can buy today.

Gabriel343
June 11th, 2003, 20:38
You have cancelled my messages:vvangry:

Erik
June 11th, 2003, 20:41
You have cancelled my messages:vvangry:

As I SAID already in this thread and have told you many times before this is an RS6 site. It is also the discussion of cars that you can buy today. The M5 V10 is not even released yet so it does very very little to help this discussion. I am sure it is a very nice car but if you like to post images and information about it please use the 'All high-performance cars' forum which is handily available.

Kain
June 11th, 2003, 21:17
Mercedes-Benz E73 AMG? :bigeyes:

Are you sure about that? :bigeyes:

Erik
June 11th, 2003, 21:36
Originally posted by Kain
Mercedes-Benz E73 AMG? :bigeyes:
Are you sure about that? :bigeyes:

It's a joke to point out that we're talking cars that exists.
That's why I added the 'afterburner' thing.

We could stay up all night long and talk about cars that are about to be released, there will always be something faster.
Right now it's the RS6, tomorrow maybe the new M5.

Kain
June 11th, 2003, 21:38
Whew! I got scared there for a bit. :D

By the way, I agree with your point. There will always be something better, faster, bigger around the corner.

Gabriel343
June 12th, 2003, 00:36
Originally posted by Erik B
As I SAID already in this thread and have told you many times before this is an RS6 site. It is also the discussion of cars that you can buy today. The M5 V10 is not even released yet so it does very very little to help this discussion. I am sure it is a very nice car but if you like to post images and information about it please use the 'All high-performance cars' forum which is handily available.
Ok ok;)

rsjoe
June 12th, 2003, 00:50
Your answers were honest and candid. I'm hoping for much more of a fun factor from the RS6 vs E55. I had an M5 last two years and got tired of pumping that clutch in traffic plus I didn't think the handling was all that impressive.

Klint
June 12th, 2003, 06:07
Orginally Posted by Kain
Mercedes-Benz E73 AMG?
Are you sure about that?

Originally posted by Erik B
It's a joke to point out that we're talking cars that exists.
That's why I added the 'afterburner' thing.

We could stay up all night long and talk about cars that are about to be released, there will always be something faster.

Not to be a critic, But!

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour.

And

I'm sure the board members talking about future/past competitors to the RS6 is good a thing for the board.

Just my £0.06 ;)

Now Back on Topic.

It's interesting to see that you find the M5 "didn't think the handling was all that impressive" :confused:

Of course the Quattro would be easier in the NorthEast where is snows during the winter, but I wouldn't think it would be as fun as the M5. With AWD vs RWD. :)

P.S Congrats on your purchase...:cheers:

Gabriel343
June 12th, 2003, 10:18
Originally posted by Klint
Not to be a critic, But!

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour.

And

I'm sure the board members talking about future/past competitors to the RS6 is good a thing for the board.

Just my £0.06 ;)

Now Back on Topic.

It's interesting to see that you find the M5 "didn't think the handling was all that impressive" :confused:

Of course the Quattro would be easier in the NorthEast where is snows during the winter, but I wouldn't think it would be as fun as the M5. With AWD vs RWD. :)

P.S Congrats on your purchase...:cheers:
Klint, I have seen your random pictures, much beautiful, wonderful places:roll:

Erik
June 12th, 2003, 10:32
Originally posted by Klint

Sure, but the posts from Gabielle had nothing to do in this thread.
And he and I have had discussions before about it...never mind - no hard feelings.

Have a look here instead, looks interesting:
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1311

Gabriel343
June 12th, 2003, 11:12
Originally posted by RS6
Sure, but the posts from Gabielle had nothing to do in this thread.
And he and I have had discussions before about it...never mind - no hard feelings.

Have a look here instead, looks interesting:
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1311
:trash: :rolleyes:

Erik
June 12th, 2003, 11:35
:trash: :rolleyes:

Thanks... :D

rsjoe
June 12th, 2003, 15:45
The M5 has too much body roll for my liking. I loved the way the engine would continue "pulling" even into significant triple digits. The throttle response was also awesome. The steering was ok but not as direct as I would like. There are practical aspects to the RS6 which appeal to my needs e.g. fold down rear seats and automatic tranny and a deflated spare tire. I'm hoping the RS6 will be a better daily driver with the ability to "scare myself" every once in a while. I'm also planning to put high performance all season tires on to cut the hassle of seasonal changes and to cut some of the road noise.