PDA

View Full Version : Can we start a ECU/TCU Sticky Thread?

Copper
November 7th, 2007, 17:42
We all see a lot of posts about ECU/TCU upgrade options and I personally would like to see as much feedback from RS6 owners about personal experience and feedback both positive and negative in real-world environments. If this was all located in one place or in an FAQ somewhere that would be a great asset to us all.

Can we set up an open thread about MTM, GIAC, Revo, O.TC, APR (any I am missing)? Perhaps an open invitation to owners to provide feedback on the chip they have installed with any performance numbers (Dynos, seat of the pants), manufacturer support, malfunctions etc?

Here is a copy of a reply post I made in another thread:

Hmm, I don't have any reference point on APR. The ability to change the programs is appealing since I also use this as my business ride and want to conserve fuel for long distance trips around the Southeast and also have a nice smooth feel when clients are riding in the car with me. I heard that the ECU/TCU upgrades make throttle response a bit touchy. Is that the case with O.TC?

APR wants $2800+ installation. I was going to drive to Auburn, AL and have the factory install it thinking they know best and it is only about a 3 hour drive from Atlanta.

Maybe I should reconsider this. I can't seem to get an exact read on MTM vs. GIAC vs. O.TC (forgot about that one actually) vs. APR

APR has the features I want and are (sort of) in my backyard, so I was thinking of this direction.

Any APR peeps have info? Maybe a separate post is needed. I'll copy this and start a new topic.

Thanks!

DuckWingDuck
November 7th, 2007, 18:27
Def. sticky worthy! There are simply too many choices for us uneducated heathens.

ruxprncd
November 7th, 2007, 22:11
Sticky worthy, indeed! Good suggestion, IMO.

gjg
November 8th, 2007, 07:33
[quote=Copper;112852]Can we set up an open thread about MTM, GIAC, Revo, O.TC, APR (any I am missing)? Perhaps an open invitation to owners to provide feedback on the chip they have installed with any performance numbers (Dynos, seat of the pants), manufacturer support, malfunctions etc?

The ability to change the programs is appealing since I also use this as my business ride and want to conserve fuel for long distance trips around the Southeast and also have a nice smooth feel when clients are riding in the car with me.

I heard that the ECU/TCU upgrades make throttle response a bit touchy. Is that the case with O.TC?
quote]

I've responded to the "change of program" feature - this is bs and you do not needed. While back some people here defended this as "dealer weill not see, no warranty void", which is also bs. Smootness of your ride is controlled by your right foot, not by the ECU box..... :hihi:

Your mileage will improve with normal driving (read "normal", no I/O), with MTM chip the throttle response is same, no change.

rs-mad
November 8th, 2007, 09:35
I vouch for www.dnatuning.com (http://www.dnatuning.com) I have tried Revo, GIAC and APR. I also have a friend who owns a MTM tuned RS6 and he was shocked when he gave me a squirt along the freeway.

Although they all improved performance none match the DNA map for power, response, economy and smoothness.

I went the custom map route and even though I am on the other side of the world with vag-com and the OBD tool I couldnt be happier, he strongly recommends the TipTronic map also and i havent had nay problems at all with over 5000kms of hard driving and 1/4mile events.

For most the standard program is fine, another thing to note is to take HP and Torque figures quote as a grain of salt.

Unless a tuning shop has taken the time to tune the RS6 Engine on an engine dyno they cannot quote accurate power/torque figures.

RS-MAD

gjg
November 8th, 2007, 20:01
rs-mad, where are you locatetd? Do you have rs6 tuned by this company?

Erik
November 8th, 2007, 21:13
Just tell me which thread to stick...

DuckWingDuck
November 8th, 2007, 22:43
Just tell me which thread to stick...

This one please!

rs-mad
November 9th, 2007, 02:36
gjg - Yes this company tuned my RS6. I had it done a little differently as I have a background in electronics, but with the SRS Module DNA can tune anyone's car around the world.

O.CT USA
November 9th, 2007, 03:06
I have the O.CT installed in my previous 2 RS6 and have sold many of these programs to various people though. In terms of throttle response it has always been smooth and never sensitive.

Infact the fastest RS6 car that is listed on www.dragtimes.com is tuned by O.CT

http://www.dragtimes.com/Audi-RS-6-Timeslip-3110.html

Let me know if you have any questions....

rs-mad
November 9th, 2007, 03:36
OCT USA - PM Sent

nyrs6
November 11th, 2007, 03:16
I have the O.CT installed in my previous 2 RS6 and have sold many of these programs to various people though. In terms of throttle response it has always been smooth and never sensitive.

Infact the fastest RS6 car that is listed on www.dragtimes.com is tuned by O.CT

http://www.dragtimes.com/Audi-RS-6-Timeslip-3110.html

Let me know if you have any questions....

Yes that was my dad driving :incar: . There are only good things that we can say about OCT.

40,000+ Miles 0 problems= Enough said :applause:

We will miss that car and i hope the new owner is enjoying it ( does he even know that it is chipped :harass: )

jimmy94507
November 13th, 2007, 16:27
gjg - Yes this company tuned my RS6. I had it done a little differently as I have a background in electronics, but with the SRS Module DNA can tune anyone's car around the world.

I sent you a PM with a few questions.

Regards, Jimmy S.

intended_accel
November 15th, 2007, 02:57
Seems to me the most desirable solution would take into account all drive train variables, e.g., a TCU mod. Modifying the characteristics of the engine and leaving the TCU to carry out programming intended for a different engine (metaphorically speaking) seems to be squandering an opportunity.

Now, the facts may pan out differently, and I'd sure like to save the casheesh and only worry about the ECU. So, the question is for those who have not replaced the stock TCU, would you like to or have you since? Quite frankly, I shudder at the thought of replacing the RS6 tranny if I could have saved it in the first place by chipping it (or does chipping it only affect performance?).

DuckWingDuck
November 15th, 2007, 05:23
So, who _is_ the provider to go with???

John DNA
November 18th, 2007, 18:33

Hey J! Knew my ears were burning! :)

I'd done the initial standard tune on the RS6 ages ago and got the standard tuning figures everyone else gets with timing, fuel, boost, limiter changes to name but a few. The RS6 is an interesting one as one of the first VAG ECU's to implement a special routine monitoring boost outside of normal perimeters giving that post 30 hour limp mode routine! So then this crazy Oz guy comes to me wanting something just a little more, ok well alot more and without changing hardware as he's planning on going bigger turbos and a manual transmission eventually. So I pull out the factory file and take it to pieces and see what the limits can really pushed to 540+bhp later and god knows how many variations we've got tuning that we're classing for track use only! Milder versions at various levels available, any questions please email me at info@dnatuning.com or pm/post here

John DNA
November 18th, 2007, 18:41
Seems to me the most desirable solution would take into account all drive train variables, e.g., a TCU mod. Modifying the characteristics of the engine and leaving the TCU to carry out programming intended for a different engine (metaphorically speaking) seems to be squandering an opportunity.

Now, the facts may pan out differently, and I'd sure like to save the casheesh and only worry about the ECU. So, the question is for those who have not replaced the stock TCU, would you like to or have you since? Quite frankly, I shudder at the thought of replacing the RS6 tranny if I could have saved it in the first place by chipping it (or does chipping it only affect performance?).

Right alot of discussion I see about the TCU and why some companies don't alter the program for the TCU and make less torque I'll clarify.

Firstly if you go beyond certain torque levels on the RS6 the TCU can in certain situations get a little confused, for instance at cruising speeds it can get to a point where it can't decide which gear to be in and it will hunt up and down between two gears. The two solutions for this is either lower the torque improvement or alter the torque limits in the TCU unit. Now why alot of the big VAG tuners go for the lower torque limit is solely because all their dealer outlets only have the ability to flash cars via OBD and as the TCU cannot be done via OBD and needs manually doing their dealers cannot offer this service. So once the torque limits are changed in the TCU the worlds your oyster on functionality with these improved torque levels. Hoped this cleared some discussion up.

aarong
November 19th, 2007, 20:54
who makes a manual tranny that fits in the RS6?

John DNA
November 19th, 2007, 21:05
who makes a manual tranny that fits in the RS6?

Off the shelf, no one.
Well unless you change to the A8 crankshaft and then that gearbox can be adapted.

DuckWingDuck
November 19th, 2007, 21:44
Costs aside, I just wonder how much performance you'd be able to gain from that.

John DNA
November 19th, 2007, 22:53
I believe the point is because with further planned upgrades power is aimed at going beyond what the auto box can handle

DuckWingDuck
November 19th, 2007, 23:42
Ah, I see, so it's a mechanical issue at that point...

gjg
November 20th, 2007, 19:17
Hey J! Knew my ears were burning! :)

I'd done the initial standard tune on the RS6 ages ago and got the standard tuning figures everyone else gets with timing, fuel, boost, limiter changes to name but a few. The RS6 is an interesting one as one of the first VAG ECU's to implement a special routine monitoring boost outside of normal perimeters giving that post 30 hour limp mode routine! So then this crazy Oz guy comes to me wanting something just a little more, ok well alot more and without changing hardware as he's planning on going bigger turbos and a manual transmission eventually. So I pull out the factory file and take it to pieces and see what the limits can really pushed to 540+bhp later and god knows how many variations we've got tuning that we're classing for track use only! Milder versions at various levels available, any questions please email me at info@dnatuning.com or pm/post here

so there was no testing done on a car, just software rewrite based on customer's input?

gjg
November 20th, 2007, 19:21
Right alot of discussion I see about the TCU and why some companies don't alter the program for the TCU and make less torque I'll clarify.

Firstly if you go beyond certain torque levels on the RS6 the TCU can in certain situations get a little confused, for instance at cruising speeds it can get to a point where it can't decide which gear to be in and it will hunt up and down between two gears. The two solutions for this is either lower the torque improvement or alter the torque limits in the TCU unit. Now why alot of the big VAG tuners go for the lower torque limit is solely because all their dealer outlets only have the ability to flash cars via OBD and as the TCU cannot be done via OBD and needs manually doing their dealers cannot offer this service. So once the torque limits are changed in the TCU the worlds your oyster on functionality with these improved torque levels. Hoped this cleared some discussion up.

John, can you be more specific on who are "the big VAG tuners"?

John DNA
November 20th, 2007, 22:31
so there was no testing done on a car, just software rewrite based on customer's input?

As done with all cars via datalogging, the same way all tuners finish software.

John DNA
November 20th, 2007, 22:34
John, can you be more specific on who are "the big VAG tuners"?

Any of those that have dealers with OBD flash only software upgrades. No getting round needing to flash the tcu to resolve those issues. I've seen instances of others that normally do flash the tcu not bothering because of the hassle to do it.

Klint
November 20th, 2007, 23:48
Maybe there's enough interest in producing a PDF document on mod options for the Rs6? What do you think guys? i wouldn't mind putting the leg work in (with some help on collecting info)

John DNA
November 21st, 2007, 01:09
Maybe there's enough interest in producing a PDF document on mod options for the Rs6? What do you think guys? i wouldn't mind putting the leg work in (with some help on collecting info)

I don't mind helping on a technical level if needed.

s42ski
November 21st, 2007, 04:33
Very interested and very usefull - particularly for anyone new to the board. This subject will always come up as it is relatively easy to mod factory turbo cars.

gjg
November 21st, 2007, 07:13
Any of those that have dealers with OBD flash only software upgrades. No getting round needing to flash the tcu to resolve those issues. I've seen instances of others that normally do flash the tcu not bothering because of the hassle to do it.

I guess we have different view of "Major VAG Tuner" - there are tuners who write&test extensively and tuners who write... Chip tuning, sure if you want to save money, long term effects - who knows.

The "major" guys do TCU as n/c part of the process on RS6. Tunning VW Jetta or Skoda, where cost of the car could be at same level as RS6 gearbox/engine is different story...

:cheers:

John DNA
November 21st, 2007, 12:32
I guess we have different view of "Major VAG Tuner" - there are tuners who write&test extensively and tuners who write... Chip tuning, sure if you want to save money, long term effects - who knows.

The "major" guys do TCU as n/c part of the process on RS6. Tunning VW Jetta or Skoda, where cost of the car could be at same level as RS6 gearbox/engine is different story...

:cheers:

Some of the majors don't, some do. MTM usually do but I have seen instances where their dealers don't. I agree their are those that extensively test those that write and those that spend way too much time testing/developing like myself. There are alot that do neither and just buy tuning in. The RS6 and the larger TDI auto's in general also always need the TCU doing due to the torque improvements otherwise they are toned down. Having worked within several myself I know and understand about reliability needed to pass TUV etc. Thanks.

Klint
November 21st, 2007, 15:07
I don't mind helping on a technical level if needed.
Sounds like we have to put a plan together....any suggestions?

John DNA
November 21st, 2007, 15:11
Sounds like we have to put a plan together....any suggestions?

Find an existing format, or maybe make a guide covering all the models that the forum covers and do it in php with a database back end so that it's easily updatable and would could be integrated into the forum pages in some way?

peiserg
November 29th, 2007, 02:28
welp ladies, I'm going OCT here in about 3 days if my replacement TCU shows up. I guess with OCT they solder in a chip, so the tech is going to get one from OCT and do a straight swap so i have no down time.

next step...... H20/methanol. :hahahehe:

that'll be in about two weeks i guess.

RS6 POWER
November 29th, 2007, 15:36
next step...... H20/methanol. :hahahehe:

that'll be in about two weeks i guess.
Me too...I am excited!!!

aarong
December 1st, 2007, 23:10
part of me wishes we could make a similar exhaust thread.

DuckWingDuck
December 2nd, 2007, 07:27
Start one up! Aarong, I still you haven't responded on the julian run thread either, are you down for 5/6 of Jan?

peiserg
December 6th, 2007, 20:39
well ladies the OC.T. tuning is done on my car. THe audi guy says the car is hitting 17.5psi now (vs. 11.75 stock=1800 mb) and feels quite a bit faster. I've got 93 octane in the car right now and ambients are about 60F. I'm going to hit the dyno in the next week or so.

peiserg
December 11th, 2007, 21:53
still not on the dyno yet, but I can add a little more info.

Stock my car was making 1550-1800 mb. Now it is 1850-2000mb. I've got the 93 octane in the car via a mix of 91 and 100. The temps are 50's-60s and rainy.

The car has been transformed into a red rocket. It's awesome. When I had the APR software loaded in, i couldn't feel the difference...and sure enough, on the dyno, there was no difference. This time, I definitely feel a change. How much remains to be seen. Likely this Friday with another RS6 owner.

itchingtogo
December 13th, 2007, 13:56
How much did the chip cost you?

Copper
December 13th, 2007, 17:33
Also, does you get the OC.T offer a TCU chip as well or just the ECU?

I'm still trying to decide who to go with. Looks like OC.T, MTM or GIAC at this point.

Thanks!

ruxprncd
December 13th, 2007, 18:41
O.CT provides both TCU and ECU. FWIW, I paid US$2000 earlier this year.

itchingtogo
December 13th, 2007, 19:40
Did you order direct or get it locally?

peiserg
December 14th, 2007, 18:39
I paid $2500 locally here in Phoenix AZ. Plus I had him do some pre and post logging via VAGinaCOM which cost me acouple hundred bucks. reason for that was the problem with apr i had originally.

The ECU is a flash. The TcU is a soldered chip from stratmosphere. I had tghem ship a tcu out first so i wouldn't have any down time waiting for the mail.

seat of pants feels like 35-40 awhp probably more torque. I think te chip promises 70ish tq and 50 hp.

RS6 POWER
December 15th, 2007, 03:57
I paid $2500 locally here in Phoenix AZ. Plus I had him do some pre and post logging via VAGinaCOM which cost me acouple hundred bucks. reason for that was the problem with apr i had originally.

The ECU is a flash. The TcU is a soldered chip from stratmosphere. I had tghem ship a tcu out first so i wouldn't have any down time waiting for the mail.

seat of pants feels like 35-40 awhp probably more torque. I think te chip promises 70ish tq and 50 hp.
Did you dyno??? I would be curios to see!

peiserg
December 15th, 2007, 16:41
dyno on tuesday with jimmy stoner who also has rs6/milltek.

Copper
December 22nd, 2007, 23:39
Anyone have a Revo flash? Opinions? I'd like to check it out. 515HP I've heard? No TCU however? Piggyback flash that can be removed/disabled back and tock chips left in place?

jimmy94507
December 23rd, 2007, 16:46
Peiserg Dyno run followed by my Dyno run on Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer.
My numbers were a bit disappointing. Full Milltek exhaust, I was using 91 Octane, 2 hour drive with the last 40 minutes in slow Phoenix traffic. About 30 minute cooldown before getting on the Dyno. Here's comparison to Base #'s from GIAC Dyno chart on their web site. (Different Dyno's!!)
Hp - 308 vs theirs of 336. Tq - 290 vs thiers of 309 ft lbs.
My numbers slightly down from Peiserg's when he dyno'd with Milltek & no chip.

Peiserg numbers with Full Milltek, O.CT chip and 93 Octane were impressive:
Peak Tq - 422 at 3300 rpm (+ 114)
Peak Hp - 370 at 6000 rpm (+ 61)
Gerry's pleased with these results vs his prior "chip" attempt.

Regards,
Jimmy S.

Copper
December 23rd, 2007, 19:10
That's not much of an improvement over stock! 93 Octane

My DynoJet numbers with Stock (Sport Sound Stock Exhaust):

Max Total Power (HP) = 381.23 Max Total Torque = 389.81

So the HP goes DOWN and the Torque goes UP?

Run conditions: 59.71 F 29.26 in-Hg Humidity: 12% SAE: 0.96

I'm wondering if the Milltek is causing an HP reduction?

Sean

jimmy94507
December 23rd, 2007, 21:22
Hi Sean,

I'm a complete novice at this Dyno stuff.
I can see how the Milltek exhaust will change the shape of the cures. One would expect torque sooner and perhaps some power increase at higher rpm's.
I have 39 track days in my RS6. On-track performance compares favorably to other stock RS6's. My seat-o-pants dyno says Milltek full exhaust gives much faster spoolup, quicker up thru the gears, than the standard exhaust (non-sound enhanced)! From what I've been told, the Sound Enhanced standard exhaust is a bit better on spoolup than what I had.

All that said, from what I've seen trying to learn about this stuff, its difficult to compare #'s from one dyno to another dyno, and, different #'s from one run to a run on a differend day on the same dyno??

For example, published Dyno charts I've seen:
AWE using Mustang AWD-500 dyno, GIAC chip with 93 octane - 350 hp
GIAC using their MD500 chassis dyno with their chip and 91 octane - 336 hp
My #'s and Peiserg's numbers in my previous post on Dyno Dynamics.
(Saw a Graph from "Gotboost", Dyno Dynamic, Ciac chip same #'s a Peiserg??)
Your #'s from Dyno Jet.
How does one compare these #'s?? It's confusing.

My run above was to baseline my car on that Dyno. After the car is chipped, I will compare these stock "chip" #'s with the chipped #'s from the same dyno. I expect seeing performance gains touted by the Mfg. (assuming climate conditions are not drastically different), If not, I'll chat with them and go to plan B.

I'll share the results.

Regards, Jimmy S.

peiserg
December 23rd, 2007, 22:48
for what it's worth, Jim's rs6, while posting somehwaqt lower numbers than mine, are very close in shape to my original APR "stock setting" chip run. I posted 318 hp and 330 tq. I replaced my dv's and bumped both about 15. so unless BOTH of our cars have serious problems, I'm going to attribute our initially dissapointing #'s to crappy gas and dyno variability. I seriously doubt that my car with 6700 miles on it has some huge mechanical issue causing problems vs. your car putting down 400 hp stock. Especially since i had car evaluated by Audi, as well as THREE audi specialty shops, including one with a guy who was the rs6 master tech for audi before he opened his own shop. they all said my car was normal/fine. Now if you guys can dyno with us and put us to shame, then I'd say i have an issue.

I'll try to upload the video me and a friend just shot. 99 octane with the oct + dv's + milltek. it is completely computer generated.

jimmy94507
December 23rd, 2007, 23:25
I forgot to mention my Dyno run was with original DV's, 56K miles.
After the Dyno run, I took my car to Audi for DRC repairs (all shocks due to leaking and central vavles replaced again, after only 5,500 miles, under 12K miles repair warranty). While there, I had them install Hyperboost DV's. Next Dyno run will have new Hypeboost DV's.

Jimmy S.

peiserg
December 24th, 2007, 05:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvsLY2WAeo

ok this is the computer generated video of me from today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmln7Lu0Gwo

fwiw the car was pulling well past 165 on the speedo but there was computer generated traffic up ahead and therefore not prudent to proceed. I think had i enough road 180ish would be perhaps the limit.

and tonight with the temps about 45 F I've broken all 4 tires loose about 4 times doing ESP free launches and 5mph roll-ons. SO take that in your pipe and smoke it.

rs-mad
December 24th, 2007, 07:10
cooper - if youd like to see how much dyno's vary take your's back to where you had it dyno'ed at have another run and you may well be shocked!!

Standard RS6's make around 340-350WHP I assume your dyno is very favourable as my car was dyno'ed at 340WHP and has run a very similar ET and MPH to yours if your car was making 380WHP you would have run a much better ET and/or MPH id say.

peiserg - Take it to a track and when you get used to launching etc let us know how you go :)

Just my 2 cents.

Copper
December 24th, 2007, 15:29
Hmm... well the RS6 is a real pain to dyno no doubt! The tech had to try 7 times to get a "solid" run. The car's computer tries to shift to the next gear instead of holding in third even with traction control off and using the manual shifter/paddles. I'll try to scan my graph soon and post it here after the holidays.

It may be just the technique from dyno shop to syno shop. Did any of you have any idiot lights come on after your runs? My traction control and ABS lights came on. We had to use a VAG to clear them.

Here is a link to my car's best dyno run (my first RS6, not the second one, I have yet to dyno or race 1/4 mile on RS6 #2):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH_8oToBpRg

I'm still considering ECU chip options. I'll be in a unique position to have a totally stock RS6 and a chipped one for immediate side by side comparisons. I'll dyno again as well.

rs-mad
December 25th, 2007, 10:36
Cooper - If you want to do it properly take them both back to the same dyno and have them run up again for a baseline figure.

Then take the chipped one back for another run and see the improvement.

If you recode the TCU with 0000022 it will hold the car in gear without shifting but be careful as it will bounce off the limiter!!

RS6 POWER
December 26th, 2007, 12:33
WOW!!! Like I told you guys in one of my earlier post I dyno at 404AWHP and I was upset...this is exactly what EVOMS states in their site with only the GIAC chip and I have the FULL Miltek system.

Regards,
Manuel

HeadShot
December 27th, 2007, 00:31
When considering up grades... should you try to match the exhaust to the ECU upgrade. Say i was looking at the MTM exhaust and DPs, should i stay with the MTM ECU mod also as the two are tuned to work together right??
Is it critical or would running the OTC Ecu with say MTM pipes be no problem?? :cool2:

rs-mad
December 27th, 2007, 01:54
I am yet to see the MTM/Miltek exhaust increase performance to a level that the money can be justified. I spoke to my local exhaust shop aswell as some other experienced tuner's and after looking at the factory exhaust they all said the same thing that the only improvment to be made is better removing/upgrading the cats.

I currently have what I class as a standard car ie just ecu/tcu tune and I can say with confidence that I have the fastest RS6 with just a tune, and my tune isnt a GIAC, APR, MTM etc. If your interested PM me for more info.

Cheers,
RS-MAD

DuckWingDuck
December 27th, 2007, 03:28
rs-mad - don't withhold awesome information like that from the rest of us! This ain't the "can we start a ECU/TCU sticky thread" for nothing! If you have an option that's better/more cost effective than GIAC, APR, MTM, and the rest of them expensive boys, please do share.

rs-mad
December 27th, 2007, 03:34
Simple - DNA Tuning www.dantuning.com (http://www.dantuning.com) best to email John@DNA directly.

RS-MAD

DuckWingDuck
December 27th, 2007, 04:37
rs-mad, noticed that you still have "coming soon" on your tuned quarter time, have you had the opportunity to get that sucker out for a run?

rs-mad
December 27th, 2007, 04:42
Not as yet hopefully I will before I head back to work next year, will keep you posted!

IGO300
December 27th, 2007, 09:25
RS-Mad

I left a message on your email earlier.
Let me know if you have any time to compare the cars - APR v DNA
I have a couple of days free if you have time

IGO300

rs-mad
December 27th, 2007, 09:32
IG0300 - Sent you an email back.

Hope to have some time free before the new year otherwise it will be in the new year

RS-MAD

peiserg
January 5th, 2008, 17:40
Lets see if I can get my dyno sheets to upload. I doubt it.

last dyno is my "stock + milltek turboback" vs. my "OCT + milltek turboback"
First is "stock with new DV's" vs. "stock with new DV's and Millteck turboback"

I'll try to add in my rs6 APR dyno sheets later.

Copper
January 9th, 2008, 21:18
I just got back from getting the Revo ECU flash program and ECU Select Plus box. All I can say is WOW! THIS is how the RS6 should have been stock. No shift issues, it's SMOOTHER and oh so much more power.

I am very please so far. I drive 90% highway from the shop back to my house and it was like teleporting to change lanes... pick a spot an I'm GONE. I can really feel the abuse of power coming on hahaha.

For $1335.36 for the flash program installed and the Select Plus box I'm super happy. I can't see needing more power than this and I'm not easily impressed. Revo... so far so good!

I'll have to run it on the 1/4 mile and dyno when I get a chance.

got boost
January 9th, 2008, 23:34
Awesome Copper!!! teleporting, LOL!!

Its been almost a year on my software and I am still enjoying it like the first day!

Be Careful!

Copper
January 10th, 2008, 04:17
I'm just so suprised the RS6 owners with APR/GIAC/MTM/Revo/O.TC etc. have not jumped up and down while slapping around the other RS6 owners with stock cars to tell them how MUCH BETTER the car can run with the ECU upgrade. I should have done this a long time ago!

I just got back from a little drive around town and to the gym thinking maybe the ether would have worn off by now... nope. I had not tried "Sport" yet or manual mode until tonight. OMFG. I think I am going to have to take a shower and change my undies.

It's like driving a totally different car... now I can honestly say it's a "Beast" I thought my RS6 stock was reasonably fast but not as fast as say, my old 993TT. Not anymore.

OK I sound like a school girl after her very first date so I'll shut my virtual yapper now.

Here are some pics from Kinetic Motorsport who flashed the car. They would not let me take photos of the "real" car area with over 40 race cars and heavily modded 996, 997, 993, 964, 951, M6, M3s 335i... They had a SICK 996TT with a custom body kit and interior. The nose and rear were from a 997 and the rest of the car ws custom. This was the owner's car and so was the M6 and so was the 993TT...

DuckWingDuck
January 10th, 2008, 05:38
Copper, def. going to need more info on this revo!

intended_accel
January 10th, 2008, 18:35
Copper-

Good to hear about your experience, especially after so many less than stellar reviews by others' attempts to chip/program their rides! With more than a few choices to consider, what lead you to go with Revo (other than what appears to be an obviously lower cost)?

Spidercat
January 11th, 2008, 00:14
Copper,
Nice pix! If they have a Lola T-70 Spyder in the "regular car" area, I wonder what they have in their "real" race car area! :love:
You're talking me into this Revo thing. Just to recap from your other threads regarding the Revo: for $1.3K you get the ecu flash program and a box/USB cable that allow you to change multiple parameters (boost, fuel, etc) in a minute or two in your own garage, parking lot, or where ever, or to change back to stock for a quick run to the dealer for whatever? And they have a 30-day money back guarantee?
If you had it to do over again, do you think that you needed to take your car in to get it flashed, or do you think you could have done it yourself? (although it looks like there was plenty to keep you occupied while you waited!:wo: )
Also, the Revo is ecu only, correct? I was wondering because you note how much smoother it shifts now, and I was wandering about the tcu. I understood that this has to be soldered, not flashed, but I'm not sure. Anyway, can't wait to see your dyno numbers and/or track times! Keep us posted!
-Mark

John DNA
January 11th, 2008, 01:10
Once you get a certain performance level(mainly with torque) you have to change the TCU software as the specified torque levels make the shift patterns behave 'strange' that is why mtm and others change the tcu software. Hard to post as an unbiased poster here but I was a customer at one point in my life and now I understnad how these things behave it's still possible to post why we change these things when you know what is done, hope this post is taken the right way.

DuckWingDuck
January 11th, 2008, 01:19
John, you're the pro here so biased or not, your opinion matters!

John DNA
January 12th, 2008, 14:59
John, you're the pro here so biased or not, your opinion matters!

Thanks, I tend to avoid car forums normally

Copper
January 13th, 2008, 02:35
I took photos today but my wife scooted off with the camera for a baby shower so I will post picks of the Revo stuff tomorrow along with my new tail lights (separate post for that).

Stay tuned...

mi021le
January 13th, 2008, 11:37
i never even saw this thread. well heres my add in. dahlback racing. love it. the downpipes are huge. and the they have many different programs since hans used to own 2 rs6s. one with 900 hp. dont think he still owns it, but whos knows im not in sweden. lol. i have a strong midrange program since in in the usa. by mid range i mean ive been told theres a high end program for the autobahn. but i never really investigaed it. so the history with dyno numbers with mods. but what i love about db's tunes are the tq. and ive had it now for 2 years plus with out one problem in the slightest.

mods.
dps
intakes
exhaust
mtm hoses
rebuilt trans

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8754

Copper
January 15th, 2008, 01:22
Here are the photos I promised of the REVO Select Plus Flash. I have not had time to load the software onto my laptop. Hopefully I will have some time later this week. I'll take some snapshots of the software interface.

Still loving this setup.

RS6 POWER
January 15th, 2008, 16:55
Here are the photos I promised of the REVO Select Plus Flash. I have not had time to load the software onto my laptop. Hopefully I will have some time later this week. I'll take some snapshots of the software interface.

Still loving this setup.

Did you dyno the car?

Copper
January 15th, 2008, 18:13
No not yet.

rs-mad
January 19th, 2008, 16:40
Copper - Interested to see what what the REVO performs like at the track and dyno.

Did some back to back testing between my DNA Tuning ECU and IGO300's APR ECU today.

Dyno was a DynaPack all runs on Shell V-Power Racing

Avgerage is calculated from 4 runs.
Peak is first run without heatsoak

APR Tune
Avg - 302.3Kw/690Nm
Peak - 308.1Kw/690Nm

DNA Tune
Avg - 323Kw/721Nm
Peak - 332Kw/734Nm

RS-MAD

1FST4Dr
February 18th, 2008, 17:38
Copper, I did not see, where you said if you thought that you could have put the chip in your self, or if you think it is required to have a shop instal it. Also, do you think that the select box is needed? I was thinking of just getting the Revo ecu with out the select plus. Thanks for all of the info you have posted so far.

Copper
February 19th, 2008, 00:52
Hey sorry for the delay. I have not been checking the forum for a little while. I sold my '65 Ford Mustang and bought a '71 Ford Bronco and have been playing around with it as a hobby car.

So, I take the RS6 on it's first business trip tomorrow with the Revo flash. I'm hoping to get a good idea of how this will impact my MPG.

Yes, you need to have an authorized dealer install the Revo flash.

No, you do not need the Select Plus module. Once they flash it to your preferred (the Revo recommended setting has been the best so far for me) then you are set.

So for $899 you get a nice bump in HP/Torque and performance. No issues after a couple of months and around town driving so far.

Copper
March 1st, 2008, 17:05
My MPG went down from 21MPG on the trip out with the stock setting to 18MPG with the Program #2 setting. I think though that I was so thrilled with having the Revo mod back I was burying the accel more than on my home from the trip so not a really good comparison.

Bottom line, I think if you mod your ECU your MPG will go down since it's natural that the inclination will be to use that extra available power more often. If I start to get concerned with fuel costs, then I will simply flash back to stock and leave the module at home before a business trip (hide the temptation).

Still happy, still fast and no issues after about 1500 miles so far.

I was on the highway heading back from the Atlanta airport after being in a rental car in Florida all week (Ford Taurus). What a wonderful machine the RS6 is. Being in a rental made me appreciate the car even more.

Anyway, a modded 993C2 (I'd say a 1997 with FabSpeed Exhaust and aftermarket RUF-style wheels) pulled alongside and pulled back then lurched forward a couple of times to say "let's play". I had a full cup of coffee and was on my cell phone bluetooth wireless chatting away. After the third time he/she (dark tint) lurched forward I simply dropped it to "S" grabbed my coffee from the cupholder and rolled my right foot... bye bye! I pulled to the right lane, slowed and continued at a nice easy 80MPH pace. About 30 seconds later the 993 pulled alongside paced me for a second then took off. :harass: I think he was shocked!

Man this car is fun!

jlmoran00
March 31st, 2008, 22:14
Have you had any transmission issues? To my knowledge the Revo flash doesn't address the Trans ECU. Let me know thanks. "Here's to the right foot!"

Spidercat
April 1st, 2008, 22:52
I can't speak for Copper, but I've had my Revo for a couple months now without problems. I got the select plus box, too, which is such a great idea. Absolutely love it! I got my wife's '04 1.8T Avant Revo'd as well about a week later, also no problems. I've been running the "race fuel" program (boost and timing all the way up) on both cars and it's flat-out incredible! It's so convenient to use the same box to adjust both cars. Recently, I turned the wife's car down to the "92-93 octane" setting, at her request, to save gas money. It's still above stock, but I could really feel the missing power, even on premium. I adjusted the boost up and kept the timing down using the box, and it got much better (still WAY better than stock). As far as my RS6, there's just no way I can put mere premium back in it! Yes, the fuel cost is expensive, but it's far cheaper than a lot of other modifications over the cost of a year. No, I haven't dyno'd it, and there are no longer any 1/4 mi tracks around here, but I can FEEL the difference, and for me that's most important. The acceleration after changing the fuel and adjusting the select box actually made me a little nauseous, but a good nauseous...
Anyway, no tranny problems yet, and I drive almost exclusively in "tip" mode (can't remember the last time I had it in D or S). I love hearing it high on revs, and like controlling exactly when a gear change is in order. I've never heard it adequately explained how exactly the TCU chip "saves" your tranny. I just always hear "better chip the tranny!" I can see where it would make the car faster, since it shifts faster, which is nice. But I'm very skeptical about whether this actually increases the durability of the transmission. Same power, same tranny, faster power delivery, to me sounds like even, or worse, durability over stock. Any transmission experts, please flame/correct me. I just know that, like Copper, my transmission feels as smooth or smoother than it ever had, and my gut tells me that this is good news. If I started hearing/feeling "clunks" after boosting the power, I'd be worried.
Anyone else who has a Revo w/ select plus box played with it yet?

HeadShot
April 2nd, 2008, 01:09
Just my 2 cents about the tranny chip / shifts... if its stock US shift patten is lagging the clutch to make all shifts mello through longer clutch transfer and not spill the bud light = massive extra wear on the clutch plates / and the Euro/ chipped shift pattern shortens the lag- wear and lets you get to the gear quicker..... isn't that a damn good thing???
Maybe the US clutch program wears the plates without destroying the gearbox... but it is a slower shift patten.. I need a pro on this... Clutch plates sound like they are way cheeper to replace than the trans/. but you looose the shift speed / ass kicking handouts you should be giving.

Bottom line.. i had my trans chipped as soon as i picked up my US RS6 and love it but have also been on the Euro boards and read alot about tranns failure.. If you own an RS6... start saving now for the tranny replacement cause if you want to love her long time,.... it's going to happen if ya drive it hard / the way she wants.
My two cents.... hell even the wife might need some work down the road right//// hee,hee:thumb:

Copper
April 2nd, 2008, 16:37
I concur with Spidercat. No issues, still shifts very smooth and solid. I have put 5000+ miles on the RS6 since the Revo flash using the same Revo recommended #2 program. The power/fuel economy/shifts seem to suit my drive style which is pretty mellow around town and on long business trips with a nice romp evey once in awhile. I drive the exact opposite of Spidercat. 90% in Drive, 5% in Sport and 5% manually. The car was fast before stock but seemed to "lag" a bit when you got on it.

Sort of like the ECU was Windows Vista "Are you sure you want to do this? Are you REALLY sure?" With the Revo program the power seems to be instantly available at any time and at any speed or situation without any hesistation at all. I sometimes drop to Sport if someone is driving next to me that feels frisky but that is to engage the extra brake boost and hold the revs/shift points, etc.

I have not felt any transmission clunks, weird shifts or other strange issues. If anything the shifts feel much better than before the Revo flash. I have not had time to go to the dyno or 1/4 mile track. I also have not loaded the Revo software on my computer to play around with the custom settings. I started my own company 10 months ago and my second daughter was born 12 weeks ago so life has kept me busy.

Yes, there is a 30 day money back guarantee. Also, there is a trial program that I think is also 30 days. I keep the Revo Select Plus in my glove box with the intention of using it to go back to stock while on a business trip or dealer visit. It also can be used optionally as an anti-theft device. The car won't start unless you plug in the module and put the program back to stock or the others. It's a really cool setup. The added benefit to all this is to be able to say "I'm at 500+HP" which is pretty amazing for a 5 year old 4-door. I have not had any DRC issues yet but I've already started a little fund to replace the whole system with aftermarket if/when I need to. Personally, I'd like to go with something a little softer/smoother.

DuckWingDuck
April 2nd, 2008, 18:49
Copper - you mean you don't like to reach for the stars every time you hit a little bump? ;)

Copper
April 2nd, 2008, 21:03
Haha, correct! A little stiff for me. I usually have 1-2 other people in the car with me on business trips and they always comment on the rough ride though I am used to it by now. The trips to Alabama are the worst however, a kidney belt is needed (and you have to take off your shoes).

Spidercat
April 3rd, 2008, 00:59
HeadShot,
Good point about the extra clutch plate wear and the differences between the Euro/US trans. I didn't think of that. Plus, I do like the thought of faster shifts. I had searched this board and a few others (non-US) awhile back about whether to do the TCU also, and it seemed like tranny failure was hit-or-miss (some had trans fail w/stock ECU, some chipped). But I didn't take into account the differences between Euro/US trans. I guess I'm gonna have to hit the ole search button again... Ooooafff!

jlmoran00
April 3rd, 2008, 18:33
The reason why I had asked about the possible tranny issue was that i had a couple of extra bucks and I got my beast flashed. Not more than a week later... Boom I blew the torque converter, the valve body etc... Thank god my car is certified. I still had to fight with my dealer and Audi to get a replacement transmission. They called me the other day saying there received approval from audi to send me a new one. Now my only fear is that they are sending me a rebuilt and not a new one. Has anyone gone through this with Audi?

Thanks.

HeadShot
April 3rd, 2008, 19:26
Here is an interesting couple of posts i cam across yesterday related to transmission failure and a company called Level10 that claimed to have a fix... or atleast reduce the chances of failure.
Worth a read.
http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=69080:mech:

jlmoran00
April 3rd, 2008, 21:56
headshot, I've heard about this place from my guys at KMD. They said that sent a guy up there with an RS6 that was pushing 600-700 BHP and they built him a trans that could handle it. Very well run shop from what I hear.

I may use them to beef up my car when I get it back from the the dealer.

HeadShot
April 4th, 2008, 15:19
I always think first hand accounts of such things are the best - eveything sound good on paper right.
Great information... i will be looking into this place myself with any major power gains i add to the beastie. I don't even want to think about the costs on a new trans aghhhhh. And if you just had one replaced by Audi the problem / weak link would not have changed. Worth the Tranny mod i would say.
Anyone else had any experience with Level 10???

melsas
April 4th, 2008, 15:49
No personal experience, but have seen mixed reviews about Level 10 on Volvo forums.
Headshot - tell us again which TCU you have and where you got it.

Thanks.

HeadShot
April 5th, 2008, 16:45
mine is from MTM - http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/
It was $100, to be taken off the cost of the engine chip if i get it done at a later date. Quick turn around - felt the difference - so far very happy.

RS6-4dr911
April 8th, 2008, 04:03
HeadShot, can you elaborate on the results? Thinking of going this route with the REVO ECU which I understand to be a milder level of tune on pump gas but still more than stock so something that helps tighten up the tranny might be a good idea. Thoughts anyone?

HeadShot
April 8th, 2008, 05:01
The shift feels crisp and much quicker without snapping or violent jerking. Before it felt very lazzzzy getting to a gear and i HATE lag.. now it is just - the way i feel it should be. I know gear boxes are getting crazy fast these days.. but for our beastie i think the shift timing i'm running now is cherry fresh. All comes down to the indivadual i think but.. it works for me.
$100 - how can ya go wrong. ( i poached some instructions on removing the Tranny ECU - ya might find it helpful.
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/faq/awefaq_main.cfm?FAQ=25
(bottom of page - All Tiptronic ECU)

DuckWingDuck
April 8th, 2008, 06:38
nick - $100 for a transmission flash? Where'd you get it done? Would love to ride in your RS6 and probably get that done myself!

HeadShot
April 8th, 2008, 23:03
Done by Hoppenmotorsports
e.mail Mike... excellent guy - Hoppen4MTM@aol.com
Web site as mentioned 4 posts back ( Duck... need i say more:hahahehe: )
http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com

Cost US. $100 taken off the cost of the engine chip if you go that way later. Should also note i believe MTM .de reduced much of there RS6 stuff by EUR1000. ie, the exhaust i have been looking at. (we need all the help we can get with the Green Back quickly turning to salad.

I should also mention, i sent LEVEL10 an email last week asking for more information, RS6 owner references etc. So far no response.....

DuckWingDuck
April 9th, 2008, 01:23
Nick, you know I don't read your posts :P Kidding of course. In looking at his website though the guy seems to be in Florida? How'd you flash it?

Spidercat
April 9th, 2008, 03:10
I contacted Mike at Hoppen Motorsports, and he said that it would be $100 (sounds good) to change my TCU. I just take out my old TCU (under the passenger side floorboard under the carpet- thanks for the links HeadShot!), overnight it to them, they turn it around the same day, send it back (I pay overnight shipping), then I plug it back in. Seems like a pretty good deal except for the 3+ day down time without the car.

Alternatively, you can buy a spare TCU from your stealer ($1700 USD! AYFKM?) and send that to them for reprogramming.

Next 3-4 day vacay I get I think I'll do the 3+ day thing (hopefully soon). I never really noticed the shift lag before, but now it's always on my mind! Thanks for bringing a problem to my attention that I never knew I had :doh: ! Now I feel compelled to fix it :mech: .

HeadShot
April 9th, 2008, 03:28
Just here to Yelp..
Yeah Duck... ya need to remove the TCU... Just take your time when ya do it, it's easy to bend things that won't go back quite the same way so easy does it. Catches and clips etc are no prob. and believe me Mike will have it back to you before you know it.
Best of luck to all, it's a no brainer.

DuckWingDuck
April 9th, 2008, 06:33
Hmm, considering I'm waiting for my rims to come in and my car's been sitting in the garage for over a week, I really should do this. Nick, care to help a dude out with some photos that AWE wasn't friendly enough to provide?

RS6-4dr911
April 9th, 2008, 22:39
Will the TCU out of a 4.2 work as a temp replacement while the original gets flashed? I can't be without wheels for 3 work days and certainly don't want to buy a factory one just for that. Any "community" TCU's floating around that we can pass back and forth? as it sounds like quite a few of us are interested in doing this particular reflash.:vhmmm:

HeadShot
April 10th, 2008, 05:21
Duck, I'll be at the house tomorrow and will see if i can get some detailed instructions (and pics) for removal - think i have a better copy around some place.
RS6-4dr911... dang ya can't get your hands on another set of wheels?? Car pool, call in sick!!! (my personal fav.) rent a beater. Don't think anyone has a spare they'd be willing to kick around. Good luck man... The beast is kinda like ya left nut... hard to do without - hense the sick days hee,hee

HeadShot
April 10th, 2008, 23:12
I looked ... thought i had better details but no luck. It's easy enough just take your time. This is from the manual... doesn't say much. That with the AWE stuff should do the trick eh. If anyone does it take some pics for future use here. Wish i'd thought of that before i did mine. :doh:

DuckWingDuck
April 10th, 2008, 23:41
no sweat, I might do it. Will def take pics when I do.

Blindspot
May 2nd, 2008, 02:25
Hi - New here, I hope this post is appropriate and in the right place.

I've just bought an RS6 and look forward to tweaking it for improved performance. I live in Connecticut (SW part of the state) and would be very interested in finding out about any qualified shops in the Danbury to Stamford area that can handle performance upgrades, specifically ECU and exhaust.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

DuckWingDuck
May 2nd, 2008, 02:52
Welcome! Be sure to post some pics of your brand new beast. I don't think there are many in the Connecticut area but there are a few NYers on the boards.

The only shop I know of that's even remotely close to you is AWE Tuning: http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/info/map.cfm

RS6 POWER
May 2nd, 2008, 04:16

I've just bought an RS6 and look forward to tweaking it for improved performance. I live in Connecticut (SW part of the state) and would be very interested in finding out about any qualified shops in the Danbury to Stamford area that can handle performance upgrades, specifically ECU and exhaust.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian Rosenberg
President
ICS Performance
377 Elm Street
Stamford Connecticut 06902
(203) 653-2394 Phone
(203) 653-2399 Fax
brian@icsperformance.com (brian@icsperformance.com)

jimmy94507
May 2nd, 2008, 04:46

I've just bought an RS6 and look forward to tweaking ........ performance upgrades, specifically ECU and exhaust.

Thanks!

You might consider Strtmosphere
http://www.stratmosphere.com/index.htm
Several of us are very pleased with the O.CT tuning and Milltek exhaust
Look at the 1st thread in this forum.

Regards, Jimmy S.

Blindspot
May 3rd, 2008, 05:33
Thanks for your responses regarding modding my RS6.

Here is the first proposal I have received. The shop is reasonably local, and was quick to respond to my request for a modification proposal. The gentleman I spoke with was glad to answer my questions, and can do the mods more or less right away. Down time for me without the car will be two days, maybe three.

I do not intend to track the car - it is my daily driver. I'm hoping to retain the factory civility and drivablilty while adding performance - especially in the most useful range for real driving conditions - say 0 - 100MPH.

Any comments, suggestions, or advice regarding this proposal is of course appreciated. Also, your thoughts on how these mods are likely to improve performance will be invaluable.

OCT ECU Flash & Trans. Control Unit

Diverter Valves

Milltek Cat Back Exhaust

K&N Air Filters

H-Sport F/R Sway Bars

Cost: undetermined but roughly $6.5k installed (tax included.)

peiserg
May 4th, 2008, 04:10
i'd highly recommend the racing cats from milltek to go with the ecu and chip upgrade.

jimmy94507
May 4th, 2008, 04:54
i'd highly recommend the racing cats from milltek to go with the ecu and chip upgrade.

I'll second that! The spool up is noticeably quicker.

Jimmy S.

MikeL01
May 10th, 2008, 13:48
Just had the REVO flash program installed yesterday at Grossmans Tuning in Louisville, Ky and purchased the select box. John was a pleasure to work with. He explained each of the 35 parameters changed. All I can say is what a difference it is very noticable. Having had Z06's and ZR1's I'm not easily impressed. Grossman focus is on German vehicles. On kind off corny note the shop had a bunch of younger guys with assorted VW's, Audis and BMWs when I pulled in they at once surrounded my RS6 and all knew the specs and history of the car. One young guy with a VR6 saluted the car and said the Fuhrer is here I think he needs a full time job or a girl friend.

Spidercat
July 7th, 2008, 23:21
I'm sending the TCU to Hoppen Motorsports this week to have it switched to MTM specs. The DRC system is being completely replaced, so this is as good a time as any, since it'll be about 1-2 weeks more downtime while waiting for the parts to arrive. I'm having Audi remove/replace it, so unfortunately no pix for do-it-yourselfers. Hopefully I'll see the superfast gear changes that I've heard so much about. Being without the car is absolute TORTURE! Why, oh why, do I always seem to pull up next to cool cars now at every stoplight/open highway when I'm in a crappy rental car? :doh: And it smells like a tobacco company died in the passenger's seat, too! Beats walking, though, so I won't complain too loudly.

On another note, I switched the Revo back to stock mode via the SPS when I took the car in 2 weeks ago for a routine tune-up. The CEL had just come on (likely due to poor gas as mentioned on another thread) and they ran diagnostics on their VAG-COM and found no errors or even asked me if the car was chipped. Granted, there weren't any engine/tranny issues, so I'm sure they didn't look at it too closely, but they're usually pretty thorough, and I'm confident that my service advisor would have brought it up if they noticed it. This just confirms (in my mind, anyway) that the Revo flash is pretty "stealth," just as advertised. Also, I love being able to switch it back to a lower setting while I'm at the filling station if I can't get to any race fuel (which I usually try to put in it). It's getting pretty expensive, though, so I may cut back (but it's sooo addictive!!!). :revs:

garbi
July 8th, 2008, 07:10
Hi Rs Mad,
The Figure That You Showed , I Assume Thats The Kw's On The Wheels ?
I Am Sending My Ecu/tcu To John (dna ) This Week So Having A Few Dyno Runs First , But Got

175kw.380nm On The Wheels
350kw.698nm On The Flywheel

Very Strange Fiqures ?

I Think I Must For Another Dyno.

Spidercat
July 15th, 2008, 00:40
Got the TCU back and installed. Mike Hoppen was great to work with! Still awaiting one more part for the DRC fix to arrive and then 1-2 days to put it back together before I can try it out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there won't be a last minute parts scramble for something else that comes up (I don't want to even hear the words "control arm").

DuckWingDuck
July 15th, 2008, 01:11
So, you're using MTM TCU mapping with Revo ECU?

Spidercat
July 15th, 2008, 06:11
Yeah. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully like a bat outta hell!

DuckWingDuck
July 15th, 2008, 06:41
ya, def. let me know how it goes. My service advisor's been pushing me to go GIAC, cuz, well, Garret's literally down the street from my house :D

Spidercat
July 18th, 2008, 19:48
Got my car back yesterday...
Tune up- check.
DRC completely replaced- check.
MTM TCU upgrade- HUGE check!!!
Wow! I love it! What a noticeable difference. The shift speed is so fast it borders on pre-cognition! Thanks to those of you who had got this done and sold me on it. Mike Hoppen @ Hoppenmotorsports was great.
I use Tip mode almost exclusively, so this $100 up grade, plus the over-sized billet-aluminum paddle shifters I had got for it (also $100) completely transform the driving experience. Ok, well maybe not completely transform, since the bar was already high, but definitely worth it.
On a side note, the service advisor now knows I'm chipped! I keep the prior service records in a neat little folder under the passenger floor mat, and guess where the TCU is located? Under the passenger floorboard. Doh! What started out as a one-day tune-up turned into a 3 week DRC replacement, and I figured I'd get the TCU done during the down-time. So, the Revo receipt was right on top of the records. Anyway, he didn't care (I had asked them to chip it before anyway, and they declined). Like I said on another thread, I get the impression that the service advisor's on my side, certainly not the aftermarket warranty company's. I had briefly told him the about the Revo flash/select box and he seemed intrigued.
Anyway, time will tell about the replaced DRC (T+1 so far, so good). MTM TCU definite winner!

HeadShot
July 18th, 2008, 20:00
Great feed back on the MTM trans chip. I was wondering if i'd been imagining how much better the car felt after i'd done it... i can't even recall the factory shift speeds any more. Really glad that worked out.. Mike is excellent to deal with. Where did ya find the bigger paddle shifters???

Best regards. HS

DuckWingDuck
July 19th, 2008, 01:27
spidercat, take some pics of the paddles! As a general rule of thumb, I've found that service advisors for these higher end cars tend to be pretty cool guys.

Spidercat
July 20th, 2008, 02:10
Guys, you have GOT to get you some of these!!!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250252739871&rd=1

Follow the links for more pix, etc. Install time (he says 10 mins) I'd say 5. It's a breeze: Turn wheel. One torx screw ( #8? I think) out of the bottom of each paddle. Old paddle off (don't drop the spring). New paddle on. Replace spring. Screw back in (don't over-tighten or strip the threads). Turn wheel opposite lock and repeat.

I think he sells them for $325, but once in a while you can find them on ebay for $100 starting price, buy-it-now $199. Either way, well worth it IMO. Very nicely machined from a solid piece of billet-aluminum, and feel smooth and cool (a/c blows right on them if you like).

Thanks again HS for the TIP tip!

fastdaddy
September 11th, 2008, 06:51
This thread is really informative, but seems to have died on the vine after much sustained activity. How come it never became a sticky? Any updates from those that contributed earlier on this ECU/TCU info?

got boost
September 11th, 2008, 12:23
Over 30,000 miles with the GIAC ECU/TCU here.

No codes, no problems, just a few speeding tickets.

:incar:

gjg
September 11th, 2008, 15:48
Any updates from those that contributed earlier on this ECU/TCU info?

78k km (about 50k miles) MTM ECU/TCU, no issues :MTM:

s42ski
September 11th, 2008, 16:58
30k miles with REVO - no issues

fastdaddy
September 11th, 2008, 18:13
s42ski did you also do the TCU upgrade?

Copper
September 11th, 2008, 18:14
It was a "Sticky" but I guess it ran out of adhesion.

So, REVO and 11K miles no issues at all. Just lots of really upset people trying to take on the RS6 with other cars. Only one that came close was a modded 996TT and he must have missed a shift...

Saw a new S8 on the road a few days ago... wow what a nice ride. Didn't want to play however. :burnout:

fastdaddy
September 11th, 2008, 18:15
Copper did you get the TCU work done too?

Copper
September 11th, 2008, 18:57
No, no TCU installed.

Benman
September 12th, 2008, 18:29
78k km (about 50k miles) MTM ECU/TCU, no issues :MTM:

George, what about the tranny issue you had a few months back?

Ben:addict:

gjg
September 12th, 2008, 20:07
George, what about the tranny issue you had a few months back?

changed the oil and so far so good

Benman
September 13th, 2008, 00:44
changed the oil and so far so good

Sounds great.:thumb: