PDA

View Full Version : New S4 V6??

bubsman
November 7th, 2007, 09:24
At least that's what fourtittude says...they seem pretty sure...
The question is...good news or bad news? S4 V8 is awesome...First thing we'll miss, the sound...V6 sounds great too, but not as good as the V8

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_3563.shtml

AndyBG
November 7th, 2007, 09:42
For me now, it looks like ''closed deal'' when it come to engine selection for new S4, for some time now there are roumors about new V6 bi-turbo making appirance in the future Audi S4... Having in mind that it's concurent BMW 335 i has 6 cylinder bi-turbo also, looks like a ''fair fight''.

Sanjuro
November 7th, 2007, 11:32
S4 has been V6 biturbo before so no harm in that. Given that it would be the next generation from the 2.7 mpfi it makes some sense that it comes back with the new generation fsi engine.

Leadfoot
November 7th, 2007, 15:01
And tell me, how long has Hans and myself been saying exactly this ......... anyone? :vhmmm:

Leadfoot
November 7th, 2007, 15:02
Anyone want to guess the output. ;)

RussianM3_dude
November 7th, 2007, 15:51
340-350hp.

tvrfan
November 7th, 2007, 16:45
Less HP than the old S4?? that would be STUPID!!!

RussianM3_dude
November 7th, 2007, 16:47
More torque though.

AndyBG
November 7th, 2007, 16:48
And tell me, how long has Hans and myself been saying exactly this ......... anyone? :vhmmm:

Long time ago... and you were wright. :thumb:

350 hps... I'm expecting and hope.

Leadfoot
November 7th, 2007, 16:59
Well when the 3.0v6 TDi (hi-power) finally is made official you will see that I reported on it an even longer time ago, something like 13months ago now and still counting.

As for the power figures, man I haven't a clue. ;)

+44 Dave
November 7th, 2007, 17:02
Well when the 3.0v6 TDi (hi-power) finally is made official you will see that I reported on it an even longer time ago, something like 13months ago now and still counting.

As for the power figures, man I haven't a clue. ;)

I cant remember anyone disagreeing with you about it being a V6 though Leadie. For some reason it seemed the natural route.
But if the S4 is V6 what is the RS4 ??? :hahahehe:

Leadfoot
November 7th, 2007, 17:03
One the same page as the above link there is the best description to date on how the Quattro VT will work and benefit the car.

Quattro_sport_diff (http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_3419.shtml)

Enjoy.

Leadfoot
November 7th, 2007, 17:07
I cant remember anyone disagreeing with you about it being a V6 though Leadie. For some reason it seemed the natural route.
But if the S4 is V6 what is the RS4 ??? :hahahehe:

The word on the street is it too will have the higher output version of the same engine. But on this it's only speculation with no hard facts.

Hey, just think how interesting this S4 will be when combined with Quattro3, Audi dynamic Select and a well judged chip tune. It might just be something to not only rival the current RS4 but quite possibly beat it.

AndyBG
November 7th, 2007, 17:20
I think that B8 RS 4, as well as RS 5 could be powered with 4.2l V8 biturbo...

RXBG
November 7th, 2007, 18:35
i think that audi will replace the S5 engine with this one too.

the RS4/5 engine- not sure. either the rumored NA 4.5 L V8 with VL and high rev concept- about 500 hp. or a TT 4.2.

tvrfan
November 7th, 2007, 18:57
B8 S4 with lesser power then the B7 RS4 would be stupid !!!

PS: whats difference between the 4.2l V8 FSi B7 RS4 and the 4.2 L TT from old RS6??? just the FSI and none turbos??? if the B8 RS4 will have a 4.2 TT then it would be the engine from B7 RS4 right?

El_cucaracha
November 7th, 2007, 18:59
S4 with V6 bi-turbo... it would be wonderful if it would have +380hp :D

Arslanoff
November 7th, 2007, 19:18
When it is coming? Geneva or Paris?

RussianM3_dude
November 7th, 2007, 19:45
Geneva most likely.

HKS786
November 7th, 2007, 20:04

A long time ago ;) seems that Hans is lost now though, seriously I wonder where he is!

I'd say around 370-380bhp. Just a guess ;)

HKS786
November 7th, 2007, 20:07
I think that B8 RS 4, as well as RS 5 could be powered with 4.2l V8 biturbo...

I'm with you on that engine although I think it'll be a 4.0, and it will be based on the new RS6 engine ;)

Leadfoot
November 7th, 2007, 20:26
I'm with you on that engine although I think it'll be a 4.0, and it will be based on the new RS6 engine ;)

Remember these words 'down sizing', this came from QuattroGmbH.

So your opinion on the size of the engine I believe is right on the money. The V10 is basically the V8 with two extra cylinders and the bore decreased to allow for thicker walls and better cooling, I believe a same process will be applied to the RS5 only this time round the rev limit might increase a little to say 7400rpm complete with the extra wide torque and power bands.

When to add the above technology to the new quattro system plus it's better weight balance and you will have a car will not only return Audi to the top of the sector but do so in a commanding manner.

HKS786
November 7th, 2007, 21:16
Couldnt have said it better myself. I cant wait :D

Fab
November 7th, 2007, 21:21
Audi looks very busy with a lot of revolutionary stuff. It is amaizing how the brand is repositioning itself. The future looks so promising and bright for them.:heart:

UrS6_Driver
November 7th, 2007, 21:25
First post, So hey guys :)
I love the idea of Audi getting back to turbo's, I feel like that is where a lot of the there past has been and sounds like the future also. Hopefully Audi can continue the success

AndyBG
November 7th, 2007, 23:56
B8 S4 with lesser power then the B7 RS4 would be stupid !!!

I see no problem there. S cars are not same thing as RS cars, as long as it out-performes B7 S4 the job has been done properly...

chewym
November 8th, 2007, 06:41
should have the same performance as the S5 (as the S4 will probably be rated at similar horsepower and torque), give or take a tenth, but have better fuel economy

Not sure how long the S5 will continue to use the 4.2 V8. Sure Audi still have Valvelift left in the parts bin, but otherwise that engine is probably just about done development wise.

Fab
November 8th, 2007, 07:51
I see no problem there. S cars are not same thing as RS cars, as long as it out-performes B7 S4 the job has been done properly... This will be the challenge i.e. keeping weight down, achieving their new handling targets and obviously offerring a great chip potential which has always been a great Audi caracteristic.

Anyway Audi knows how to built turbocharged engines. Therefore I have no doubt it will destroy the 335i anytime :revs:

AndyBG
November 8th, 2007, 14:09
...Anyway Audi knows how to built turbocharged engines. Therefore I have no doubt it will destroy the 335i anytime :revs:

:thumb:

I'm on that one with you 100%, Audi KNOWS how to built turbo !

PeterJohn
November 10th, 2007, 09:47
This will be the challenge i.e. keeping weight down, achieving their new handling targets and obviously offerring a great chip potential which has always been a great Audi caracteristic.

Here we go. People will hand the cars over to a guy with a laptop. He'll mess about with the software that engineers have spend months perfecting. Higher boost, higher injection, job done. Then the turbos will start failing, because, ironically, they are out-of-tune. Or the transmission will fail, because the tuner didn't de-tune the first gears. Or people forget that the higher engine temperatures require more frequent oil changes, perhaps even a different type of oil. And if you forget the oil, your engine is well and truly F-ed.
Then people will start complaining about their self inflicted troubles on internet forums, giving Audi a bad name.

Then Audi will have to return to n/a engines again, because turbo engines are too costly from a warranty/image perspective. So the rest of us are F-ed, because some people want big numbers at low prices.

Even big names like MTM are in the bussines of taking your money. Don't forget that. I have no idea why people pay so much money for a couple of horsepowers, anyway. It's not like they have the skill or place to actually take advantage of the extra performance. It's an allround stupid investment.

Chip optimisation takes several hours, and involves strapping each individual car to a dyno. Anything else is a crap program that pushes the boost and injection beyond the tolerances. The bigger the gains they promise, the more skeptical you should be.
And you should really only consider software optimisation if you have made changes to the mechanical hardware of the engine.

And have the decency to be upfront and void the warranty, so that Audi and indirectly the car enthusiast don't have to pay the price for your number insecurity.

I believe the reason why Audi didn't continue with the 2.7T from the B5 S4, is because one after the other had its turbos or transmissions fail. Same with the 1.8T, and the sludge/transmission problems. For which VAG was forced to pay, but was the result of poor maintenance, and chiptuning. They'd better have some good protection.
I hear BMW has a very good system to tell whether the software has been changed on 335i's. Even if the program was restored before going back into the dealership. I hear dozens of warranties have been cancelled because of this. I hope Audi has similar protection this time around.

Leadfoot
November 10th, 2007, 10:43
PeterJohn,

Another statement of wisdom, for a BMW man you are quite clever. ;)

This is the reason why companies like MTM and the likes are so much dearer to start with and offer less of an improvement. They offer a warranty on the work they do and cover everything relating to what they have done.

After talking to my good friend on the subject of the RS6 and what it was running output wise on the ring to test the reliability of the engine/transmission I know that Audi on this car at least did build in a safe guard for potential tuning. I can't believe that any of their normal cars are any different on that front but like everything you do have to look at things logically, if you are offered an increase of 40% do you really think the manufacturer built in such a high safe guard on their equipment. I say if you have to do it then keep it to 20% as a minimum. But like PeterJohn says, best to pay the higher cost of the car that meet the output as standard is always the best policy. :thumb:

P.S.

Add this percentage to the output of the RS6 and you will see that there was some pretty quick RS6 mules running the ring over the last 18 months. :hahahehe:

Audiphile
November 10th, 2007, 17:44
I agree with you both PeterJohn and Leadfoot. I have been to plenty of Audi Club track events over my many years to have seen that in general the Audis that wind up breaking down on the track and smoking up the place have been altered significantly beyond the tolerances that Audi recommends. Many enthusiasts do the alterations in "stages" due to lack of funds or whatever reason, but fail to take into consideration that the engine might not be up to the challenges of the alterations so far done. Otherwise it is an incomplete job. But we all know that the Audi 1.8T motor has been the darling of modification.

Cargo8
November 10th, 2007, 17:53
So someone on another thread said that the rumor as of late was 333 hp of a FI v6. Could that be right? i was expecting them to go above and beyond the 330-340 range...

Leadfoot
November 10th, 2007, 18:04
So someone on another thread said that the rumor as of late was 333 hp of a FI v6. Could that be right? i was expecting them to go above and beyond the 330-340 range...

Cargo8, now that's an interesting figure to fall on. ;)