PDA

View Full Version : warranties

troyjgaspard
November 3rd, 2007, 19:07
hello fellow rs6 enthusiasts,

i will be picking my beast up from the audi dealership in 6 days for some simple things such as engine light that was caused from the truck that unloaded my car off of the car hauler when it arrived from california.so when i go and pick it up i want to add an extended warranty to my car.i want the best one that is out there.which one is the best and what should i ask for?about how much money should i expect to pay for this warranty as well?i live in louisiana and the audi dealership i deal with is in houston texas about a 4 hour drive for me.also guys how do i find out what kind of a chip is in my car.i bought this from the original owner.he put a chip in it but i cant get in touch with him he is too busy enjoying his r8 to answer his phone.he told me it has either 510 or 515 horsepower and it was a giac chip.i would like to know more about this chip.any info would be appreciated thanks guys.

Spidercat
November 5th, 2007, 05:09
I paid $2-3K (I think it was $2,800) for an extended 4 yr/48k mi bumper to bumper package. The price you will pay depends upon a)how much you want covered, and b)how many miles are on your car. The dealer has tables to compute this. I would get the most that you can afford, as the car is very expensive to service/repair if/when something breaks. For GIAC chip info, see:
http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/gallery/rs6/index.cfm
Regards,
Mark

DuckWingDuck
November 5th, 2007, 06:40
There seems to be quite a number of secondary market extended warranty providers.

Copper
November 5th, 2007, 19:51
Contact Fidelity. This is the OEM extended warranty provider for Audi under the marketing name "Audi Care".

They are much cheaper for the same exact service if you by-pass the dealer. I paid $2500 for the 4 year bumper to bumper for my RS6. They do not exclude the DRC system in the RS6 or RS4. I called to confirm this twice and read the fine print before purchase. Who knows if they will actually adhere to this when my DRC goes south, but that's what lawyers are for.

Also, the "Check Engine" light will come on if your gas cap was not properly tightened. The dealer you bought the car from may have filled it with fuel and not know this causing the light to come on. This is a common issue and it also happened with my 2nd RS6 purchase. Dealer service manual says you have to drive 14 times for it to clear on it's own (stupid). Don't waste a trip to the dealer if the car is running fine. It will clear itself.

If you have the GIAC chip the HP should be rated to 530. Do you know if the P/O also had the transmission chip installed?

troyjgaspard
November 6th, 2007, 06:16
Thats Just It I Cant Get Any Info From The Previous Owner About The Car And The Car Lot Owner That I Bought The Car From Didnt Know Anything At All About The Car Except For It Was An Audi.i Have The Factory Chip In My Owners Manuel In My Glove Box.

DuckWingDuck
November 6th, 2007, 14:40
So like copper said, just call Fidelity and inquire about the extended warranty. They'll work with your dealership to get everything straighted out.

FullThrottleNYC
November 6th, 2007, 15:20
Be careful- I've been told that a chip will likely void your warranty in many cases. I got a 3 yr/100k Audi Platinum warranty on my RS6 via the dealer- and they clearly stated it's void if I chip the car. Be sure to research any 3rd party warranty companies- make sure they are part of a larger holding company or have been around for a long time. Good luck with the new ride.

DuckWingDuck
November 6th, 2007, 18:51
Audi will definitely not warranty your car if you chip it. The aftermarket guys I'm not so certain.

troyjgaspard
November 6th, 2007, 20:12
full throttle,

how much did that platinum warranty cost u and did it cover ur drc suspension?does it cover reguraly scheduled maintenance?

DuckWingDuck
November 6th, 2007, 20:30
There is nothing that will cover maintenance. Not even the aftermarket warranties. You're getting a warranty, not maintenance coverage.

Copper
November 6th, 2007, 21:30
Keep in mind that the Audi Care Silver, Gold and Platinum warranties are the SAME thing as the Fidelity Silver, Gold and Platinum warranties. Some dealers WILL also offer a maint. package with the extended warranties to cover basic fluid changes. Mine did but I declined since I know they would not be able to service an RS6 at a non-Audi dealer, nor would I want them to.

So to answer your question about DRC coverage, yes Audi Care Platinum covers DRC as well just like the Fidelity Platinum warranty since it is the same thing.

Here is the link to the Fidelity Warrenty Site which is backed by the JM&A Group. You have to purchase this through a dealer, even if you didn't purchase the car from them they will usually sell the extended warranty to you if your car meets the guidelines for mileage, etc.

http://www.jmagroup.com/default.aspx

Good luck!

:addict:

GEN XER
February 2nd, 2009, 04:25
I just purchased my RS6 from a great guy named Richard Thompson. He had a CPO warranty on the car but it did not transfer, so Im going to go with the Audi Fidelity warrenty. I was offered two Platinum coverage plans one 3/36 and the other 4/48. For the 3/36 they want nearly $3800 and for the 4/48 they want nearly $4600. Is the dealer the only place to get this warrenty or can they be found independently? I dont know if I need 3/36 or 4/48, the car has 60K already. Im still waiting on the car to arrive from Texas, it should be here tomorrow. There are two pics of the car on the transport truck. I cant wait till it gets here.

mmaturo
February 2nd, 2009, 04:39
I just purchased my RS6 from a great guy named Richard Thompson. He had a CPO warranty on the car but it did not transfer, so Im going to go with the Audi Fidelity warrenty. I was offered two Platinum coverage plans one 3/36 and the other 4/48. For the 3/36 they want nearly $3800 and for the 4/48 they want nearly $4600. Is the dealer the only place to get this warrenty or can they be found independently? I dont know if I need 3/36 or 4/48, the car has 60K already. Im still waiting on the car to arrive from Texas, it should be here tomorrow. There are two pics of the car on the transport truck. I cant wait till it gets here.

Get the most warranty you can afford for the period you think you will own it. If you are planning on keeping the car 4 years do it the longer period. Repairs on this car are extremely pricey so it will no doubt pay for itself.

GEN XER
February 2nd, 2009, 05:24
I am going with the 4/48 and yes I am keeping this car. I have wanted this car since 2003. I also have a 2006 SRT8 and a 2001 GTI VR6 for starters but I never should have bought the SRT8. I should have bought the RS6 from the beginning. Live and learn.

DuckWingDuck
February 2nd, 2009, 06:02
Yup, I'm with our man from Chicago, go for as long as you can afford. It's worth it.

DHall1
February 2nd, 2009, 06:17
Go for the 4/48. One year of coverage is well worth 800 dollars. Plus you will be up and over 100k mileage. Anything can blow at that point.

Thats a nice looking car. I noticed it on Autotrader. Nice wheels

LIRS6
February 2nd, 2009, 15:55
I was offered two Platinum coverage plans one 3/36 and the other 4/48. For the 3/36 they want nearly $3800 and for the 4/48 they want nearly $4600.

Fyi the quote that I got (NY area) was over $2k more for each period than what you got. If I was ofrd 4/48 for $4600 I think I'd take it.

CornersWell
February 2nd, 2009, 21:46
Last summer, I purchased an extended warranty through BruceM over on Audiworld. You might inquire with him.

I can't remember my duration (60 months/to 100K, IIRC), and it was around $3850. BUT, the car had to have less than 50K miles on it at the time of the policy issuance. And, they don't cover DRC.

Frankly, I'm surprised that they're even still issuing extended warranties on the RS6. From what I've heard, the claims have been significant, and once the cars have been in service for a few years, they tend to drop off the list of warrantable vehicles. And, this is the FIRST I've heard that anyone will cover DRC out of the original warranty and CPO (even CPO doesn't cover DRC). Frankly, I'm wondering if my warranty was a bad deal, now. But, when I looked into it, it appeared to be the best I could get. I'd be surprised if in the last 12 months the warranties have gone down in pricing and are covering more components.

CW

terrytcl
February 2nd, 2009, 22:40
I am going with the 4/48 and yes I am keeping this car. I have wanted this car since 2003. I also have a 2006 SRT8 and a 2001 GTI VR6 for starters but I never should have bought the SRT8. I should have bought the RS6 from the beginning. Live and learn.

same here -

i bought a GC SRT-8 thinking it would suffice in my desire for an RS6.

never happened. and before i knew it, gas was at $4.25. for a vehicle that got 10mpg, i tried to unload it, but lost out big.

LIVE & LEARN

Spidercat
February 3rd, 2009, 00:02
There are two pics of the car on the transport truck. I cant wait till it gets here.

Congrats! Nice looking six.
Are those stock factory RS4 rims or aftermarket repros? Do you know the maker/size/offset if aftermarket? I've been thinking about the RS4 look or some ABT rims for quite a while now, but I haven't decided yet. The ABT 5-spoke rims that I liked are out of production now. Anyway, those look good on your car! :thumb:

mmaturo
February 3rd, 2009, 04:45
same here -

i bought a GC SRT-8 thinking it would suffice in my desire for an RS6.

never happened. and before i knew it, gas was at $4.25. for a vehicle that got 10mpg, i tried to unload it, but lost out big.

LIVE & LEARN

Good news is that you are getting 3mpg better now.

GEN XER
February 3rd, 2009, 05:30
Congrats! Nice looking six.
Are those stock factory RS4 rims or aftermarket repros? Do you know the maker/size/offset if aftermarket? I've been thinking about the RS4 look or some ABT rims for quite a while now, but I haven't decided yet. The ABT 5-spoke rims that I liked are out of production now. Anyway, those look good on your car! :thumb:

They are OE RS4 wheels.

terrytcl
February 3rd, 2009, 15:45
Good news is that you are getting 3mpg better now.

actually, i'm averaging 16mpg with the rs6.
more fun to drive with the rs6 over the gcsrt8

Copper
February 3rd, 2009, 20:09
I get 18MPG with My RS6 and 21-22 Highway.

terrytcl
February 3rd, 2009, 20:22
I get 18MPG with My RS6 and 21-22 Highway.

<---- Revo tuned + lead foot

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: