PDA

View Full Version : 2007 RS4 vs 2007 M3

Z07
November 2nd, 2007, 21:37
The M3 seems to be putting more power down.

RS4
http://www.rri.se/popup/performancegraphs.php?ChartsID=769

M3
http://www.rri.se/popup/performancegraphs.php?ChartsID=768

Fab
November 3rd, 2007, 14:54
That is obvious we all know that 4 wheel drive cars have more power loss on the wheels ;)

Interesting to see anyway thanks

raulg
November 3rd, 2007, 16:36
Still, at the 1/4 mile runs the RS4 seems to be slightly faster - tested in just a few recent magazines. And that is up to around 110mph, more than good enough to run on the streets/tracks. But the RS4 will loose above 120mph, up to 150mph, which is expected due to more (quattro) loss. Don't really care about that speed ..

Z07
November 3rd, 2007, 17:27
The RS4 will lose from anything 2nd gear or above. The only reason it wins quarters is 4WD. Once it gets that jump at the start it's difficult to pull it back. How often do you launch flat-out from a standstill?

Leadfoot
November 3rd, 2007, 20:40
In stop-light races I wouldn't tackle a RS4 in anything that didn't have one of the following, more than 500hp, weigh less than a tonne and have more than 350hp or wasn't another AWD car with at least as much power.

And all of the above requirements are based around the surface being bone dry, factor in some rain and only the last requirement would do.

raulg
November 3rd, 2007, 20:55
The RS4 will lose from anything 2nd gear or above. The only reason it wins quarters is 4WD. Once it gets that jump at the start it's difficult to pull it back. How often do you launch flat-out from a standstill?

You are wrong, there was a magazine that did a 60-80mph and 80-100 comparo on the new M3 vs RS4, the RS4 won clearly both tests. We also got plenty numbers for 0-200km/h, both cars are about the same.
Besides, do not blame quattro for the better start, it's also adding lots of weight to the car. Without it, with just rear traction on the RS4(I know, Audi and me doesn't like rwd) the car would be 200-400lbs less >> guess who would be faster than, with less (quattro) loss, less weight. But it wouldn't be an Audi and I wouldn't buy it. ;)

Leadfoot
November 3rd, 2007, 21:09
raulg is right, Quattro makes it an Audi as much as a rear engine makes it a 911, the two things are inseparable.

Finalmix
November 6th, 2007, 07:31
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/axb19DwhqUk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/axb19DwhqUk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Leadfoot
November 6th, 2007, 09:21
I think this is a repost but it's still worth watching and don't show that the RS4 is destroyed in anyway. Though clearly the M3 is a bit quicker.

Fab
November 6th, 2007, 10:04
I think this is a repost but it's still worth watching and don't show that the RS4 is destroyed in anyway. Though clearly the M3 is a bit quicker. Agree. However the RS4 is much better on the twisties and leaves the M3 behind :applause:

RussianM3_dude
November 6th, 2007, 11:20
In the hands of an inexpirienced driver... maybe.

Leadfoot
November 6th, 2007, 11:29
In the hands of an inexpirienced driver... maybe.

M3_dude,

You are quite right, it would only a maybe that the RS4 would still win a race on a twistie road if it was being piloted by an inexperienced driver.:hihi:

I take it that was what you were meaning to say, right. ;)

HKS786
November 6th, 2007, 11:30
lol :hihi:

Fab
November 6th, 2007, 11:32
In the hands of an inexpirienced driver... maybe. Which we all are ;) To keep up with an RS4 you must have a knowledge of high speed driving which 90% of M3 owners do not have.

This also means that the M3 driver in the vid is crap as he's only capable of beating the RS4 on the straight... which proves the above is right :D

Leadfoot
November 6th, 2007, 11:37
I thought someone said it was Gustva was driving the M3.

Fab
November 6th, 2007, 11:47
oups :cheers:

itisme
November 6th, 2007, 12:26
let's see how the M3 Sedan is competing to the RS4..

Fab
November 6th, 2007, 12:39
good point should be a couple of tens loss vs the coupe

To be continued......

Clio16V
November 7th, 2007, 17:28
let's see how the M3 Sedan is competing to the RS4..

The M3 sedan comes with the new together with the M-DTC gearbox option.

A guy i know is the first one in The Netherlands who gets it:wo:

piero
November 8th, 2007, 08:30
The new M3 DCT gearbox does not exists for the moment...even deutchland does not have it...so in Netherlands.....it's simply impossible.

Leadfoot
November 8th, 2007, 12:09
The info I got from the BMW dealer when I order the M3 was that it's due here (UK) sometime in June/July.

Fab
November 8th, 2007, 15:45
I hope you will wait and go for it Leafoot. This is a must to have on the M3 :thumb:

AndyBG
November 8th, 2007, 16:25
The info I got from the BMW dealer when I order the M3 was that it's due here (UK) sometime in June/July.

Leadfoot, did you ordered M3 ?

What was with S5... I'm not in the well informed. :hihi:

Fab
November 8th, 2007, 19:22
Andy you missed this info !!! you probably spent to much time on a Porsche forum ;)

Leadfoot
November 8th, 2007, 21:36
Leadfoot, did you ordered M3 ?

What was with S5... I'm not in the well informed. :hihi:

Guys, I have my reasons which some people already know.;)

Yes I am still getting the S5 which should be here in December sometime and I am really looking forward to it, I would have had a S4 after this but alas no show until Dec'08 I believe, so the M3 just fell into my lap and suited my needs for the period until either the RS5 shows or the S4.

I hope it's the RS5 as I know everything else will not fill my requirements.:hahahehe:

P.S.

I agree the M-DCT gearbox is the one to have but I only see me holding the M3 for a shortest time and at best the gearbox will only hold 65% of it outlay I reckon the money is better in my pocket. Plus the manual as these videos already show is plenty quick enough for an old man like me.;)

AndyBG
November 9th, 2007, 15:56
Andy you missed this info !!! you probably spent to much time on a Porsche forum ;)

Well.. I... :blush:

Actualy, this is the only forum on the net that I'm member on.

Guys, I have my reasons which some people already know.;)

This comes as surprise, M3 is one FAST car, ENJOY IT ! :cheers:

Witch one you are going for, coupe, cabrio, sedan, Touring... ?

Leadfoot
November 9th, 2007, 16:09
This comes as surprise, M3 is one FAST car, ENJOY IT ! :cheers:

Witch one you are going for, coupe, cabrio, sedan, Touring... ?

Andy,

It's a fast and easy to drive without taxing your arms or your legs kind of a motor car and an improvement over all other M3s which have come before it, so in other words it's much like an Audi. :hihi:

As for the model well the saloon won't be out until very late '08/early '09 and the others will be even later, it looks like the Coupe is my only options which is all the better because the rest apart from the cabrio will be awful to sell second hand. The only cars which can sell well as saloons and estates are the trusty RS models and less so the AMG.

Will post pictures next month when the S5 comes and mid year when I get the M3. That's if I ever learn how to bloody well post pictures on the net. :blush:

I am surprised that RussianM3_dude didn't say more than he did about it all but there you go.

HKS786
November 9th, 2007, 16:36
lol...since I'm so kind I'll resize the pics for you and upload them and stuff if you just email me them when you get them. cant wait to see the sprint blue S5!

What colour will you order the M3 in?

Leadfoot
November 9th, 2007, 18:16
lol...since I'm so kind I'll resize the pics for you and upload them and stuff if you just email me them when you get them. cant wait to see the sprint blue S5!

Thanks, I will possibly have to do just that.

What colour will you order the M3 in?

Thankfully this is still far enough away not to be a concern, it's a tricky one that, I don't like the dark colours as the roof just blends into the background so it would have to be one of the light ones. At the minute I am steering towards the Sparkling Grey because of the CSL look about it, but the one I would really love to own is the White but the only problem with that is resale, at the minute white is the IN colour but public opinion changes so quick and I wouldn't want to be catch out, especially as I intend to sale it in a short time. I might compromise and go for Silverstone Silver as it's closest in looks to white and is always a popular colour.

But lets forget about the M3 for now and concern ourselves with the S5 for now.:thumb:

AndyBG
November 9th, 2007, 20:04
Yes, S5 is some car. I just had a drive behind one, and I must say that LEDs are only thing that car needs, everything else, FANTASTIC !

Fab
November 9th, 2007, 20:12
I agree it looks and handles so great in real life.

I am VERY MUCH looking forward to discovering the upcoming RS5. :king:

Leadfoot
November 9th, 2007, 20:46
Yes, S5 is some car. I just had a drive behind one, and I must say that LEDs are only thing that car needs, everything else, FANTASTIC !

Andy,

What were you driving?

It must have been something really special to be able to keep up with a S5, was it a 997Turbo or GT3. :hihi:

artur777
November 9th, 2007, 22:09
Andy,

What were you driving?

It must have been something really special to be able to keep up with a S5, was it a 997Turbo or GT3. :hihi:

Even 335i is able to keep up with S5, so it could be a lot of cars to choose... We have drag racing 335i VS S5 - 335i was a little bit faster.
It was a real surprise for all people!

Leadfoot
November 10th, 2007, 00:21
Even 335i is able to keep up with S5, so it could be a lot of cars to choose... We have drag racing 335i VS S5 - 335i was a little bit faster.
It was a real surprise for all people!

Actually I was joking.

I am very surprised as well to find that a 335i was able to beat a S5 in a drag race, unless it was chip in some way.

Fab
November 10th, 2007, 08:27
Andy,

What were you driving?

It must have been something really special to be able to keep up with a S5, was it a 997Turbo or GT3. :hihi: no a GT2 :harass:

AndyBG
November 10th, 2007, 12:35
Andy,

What were you driving?

It was Porsche prototype, in disguise, I can't reveal you a secret. :D

no a GT2 :harass:

Dream car !

SupercarAddict
November 17th, 2007, 19:22
i will post a picture from a French magazine with another test of RS4 B7 and M3 E92 acceleration times. the results talk demselves because the RS4 has another time beat new M3:)

in the left is RS4 B7 and in the right is M3 E92!