PDA

View Full Version : High Milage RS6 Durabilty

MikeL01
November 2nd, 2007, 00:07
A quick questions for the pros out there, I just sold an 06 Z06 (I know...PLASTEEK) for a Daytona Grey RS6. A move I should have made some time ago. Are there any durabilty issues with our RS6s in the higher milage arena? I have 35K miles on mine.
Thanks,
Mike

AuditudeA642
November 2nd, 2007, 00:44
The RS6 is a Great Car! The car is very reliable but will cost a lot of money to maintain. It's a rocket ship, handles great, gobs of torque and the build quality is at a very high level. 35k miles is just broken in, i consider cars with 80k+ miles high mileage. Things you should be concerned about is the suspension, which i would replace with Billstein Coilovers and the tranny. If you chip the car (530HP) i would highly recommend also doing a transmission chip. Also minimal use of tiptronic and periodic transmission services should be good. Good Luck and Hope you love your Beast.

LIRS6
November 2nd, 2007, 16:01
Make sure car has had timing belt replaced (due at 35k interval)

Hy Octane
November 2nd, 2007, 16:32
Also minimal use of tiptronic and periodic transmission services should be good. Good Luck and Hope you love your Beast.

What do you mean by minimal use of the tiptronic?

FullThrottleNYC
November 2nd, 2007, 18:29
Sport mode does it for me...who needs tiptronic when you just need to slap it in "S"...

AuditudeA642
November 2nd, 2007, 20:47
What do you mean by minimal use of the tiptronic?

I mean the tiptronic manual shifting. Many people have said the more you use it the more stress is put on the tranny. So in other words More Stress=Shorter Transmission life. Quick question also, im looking at buying an 03' A6 4.2 (to compliment the RS4) and it has the S Mode on the tranny. Whats the difference between D and S, shifting harder? Faster shifting? :rs4addict :addict:

FullThrottleNYC
November 2nd, 2007, 20:52
"S" mode basically turns it from a "beast" into a complete raging lunatic...I highly recc it.

bigh
November 2nd, 2007, 21:02
Difference between D and S mode is that the transmission holds the gears up to the rev limit in each gear

Aronis
November 3rd, 2007, 01:47
I have 60,000 miles on mine and use the Tiptronic mode almost all the time. I disagree with the wear issue. Even in Tip the tranmission shifts slowly and easily. If you up grade the transmission control TCU and make it shift FASTER this may cause a problem.

The other issues are old car issues, service it often enough, don't ignore weird noises, and be ready for expensive repairs! And Tires, it does eat tires!

I just spent $265 to replace one CV joint boot at Non-RS6 Audi dealership, not too bad considering, but that CV boots usually last forever if you don;t catch some road debree, perhaps that is what happend to mine, the other 7 were fine. (two per drive shaft).

Extended Audi Premium warrantee covers all big ticket items accept the DRC.

Mike

Pit
November 3rd, 2007, 15:32
periodic transmission services should be good in EU-RS6 are no services necessary :rolleyes: ???

oce
November 4th, 2007, 05:19
Difference between D and S mode is that the transmission holds the gears up to the rev limit in each gear

Not sure about the UK models, as this member mentioned. But on the US RS6, the Sport Mode shifts more aggresively, to keep the transmission in higher horsepower ranges by monitoring the drive by wire system built into the gas pedal, as well as monitoring your driving pattern over the course of time. Even in S-Mode, if you drive slow and non-agressive, the transmission will settle back into high economy (low rpm) patterns. The most noticeable differences in S mode are that the tranny will downshift with a much smaler pedal depression and the tranny will upshift noticeably faster so long as the pdeal stays depressed (don't try to drive this like a manual, even while paddle shifting).

If you put the transmission in Manual-Shift mode (by popping the shift knob to the right at D) then the tranny will not shift until redline, no matter how agressive or not the driving. In manual mode, the car is expecting you to use the paddle shifters or tip shift. In manual mode, when you downshift to a gear at high rpm's, I have noticed that the tranny will engage the lower gear much more rapidly (the equivalent to a quick manual clutch pop). Once you find these shift points, you can use the tranny in this manner to help slow the car using much less brake force (helpful in cornering) preventing early brake fade during rigorous driving.