View Full Version : JLeno's Z06-C6RS

AndyBG
November 1st, 2007, 19:22
Bio-ethanol powered, 600 hps...

http://www.worldcarfans.com/4071031.003/jay-lenos-e85-powered-corvette-z06

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Jay-Leno-E85-C6RS-Corvette-Z06.html

Benman
November 1st, 2007, 21:50
I think it would be kinda cool to have so much money, that you could satisfy all your speed cravings and still make all the tree huggers happy. ;)

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
November 1st, 2007, 23:16
Ben,

Just to inform you, Bio-ethanol is worse for the environment than normal fuel. It's a myth that it's better.

AndyBG
November 1st, 2007, 23:23
Ben,

Just to inform you, Bio-ethanol is worse for the environment than normal fuel. It's a myth that it's better.

Is it... ?

All that campaign for nothing ? :confused:

Benman
November 1st, 2007, 23:35
Bio-ethanol is worse for the environment than normal fuel. It's a myth that it's better.

Leadie, it is not actually worse for the environment, it is just no better.

Ethanol is inferior to the energy containing ratio of gallon per energy unit of petrol. However, it's "impact" is slightly less, therefor making it about the same. Where ethanol is truely worse is for consumers. Less mpg, more $$$ per gallon. Terrible.

What IS better both for consumers and the environment, is bio-diesel. It can be made from recycled vegetable oil and not as expensive to produce as ethanol.

Also, since 99% of US ethanol is corn based, ethanol would greatly impact the food market as more foods than most people realize are super dependent on the corn industry. Diverting massive amounts of corn from food to fuel the automotive industry would just end up sky-rocketing the cost of corn for food, and eventually, most foods. A lose, lose senario.

But I do agree that ethanol is retarded as a means to alternative fuel and is only in place do to the Bush administration pimping it.

Bio diesel is where it is at. But I still stand correct. Ethanol keeps the tree huggers happy as about 90% of them are ignorant of the facts. :)

AndyBG
November 1st, 2007, 23:46
Ben, I read some where some theory about bio-diesel and its impact on the global food prices. Basicly, the problem is next, if we start to use corn, for example, for making fuel it will imidiately attract big companyes to ''step into business'' and start to make profit. The price of corn will start to rise and in the same time more and more people will be hungry...

P.S.

I'm little bit of the course of this thresd, so apologies to the moderators.

Benman
November 2nd, 2007, 15:06
The price of corn will start to rise and in the same time more and more people will be hungry...

Andy, exactly the point I was making as well. All the more reason to go with biodiesel as most of it is made using recycled vegetable oil. It has already been used by the food industry and would need to be recycled anyway vs ethanol that directly takes away corn from the food market (i.e. raising food prices like you mentioned).

An interesting article on biodiesel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

Leadfoot
November 2nd, 2007, 15:28
Just think of the magazine comparisons then.

This months hot comparison McDONALDS vs BURGER KING - what is the best vegetable oil for you machine. Or what about the extra weight people would be putting on becuase of the smell from their exhausts, you would be always wanting to eat fast food.

HKS786
November 2nd, 2007, 17:36

This months hot comparison McDONALDS vs BURGER KING - what is the best vegetable oil for you machine. Or what about the extra weight people would be putting on becuase of the smell from their exhausts, you would be always wanting to eat fast food.

lmao :lovl:

buyalemon
November 2nd, 2007, 17:38
Andy, exactly the point I was making as well. All the more reason to go with biodiesel as most of it is made using recycled vegetable oil. It has already been used by the food industry and would need to be recycled anyway vs ethanol that directly takes away corn from the food market (i.e. raising food prices like you mentioned).

An interesting article on biodiesel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

It really doesn't matter if Ethanol isn't any better than gasoline, in a number of years there won't be any oil left on earth and than this discussion is dead anyway :brag:

Producing Ethanol takes extremely much energy, but if this energy would be green like wind-energy the Ethanol would be quite good in my eyes :thumb:

Better with higher foodprices than no planet :eye:

Z07
November 3rd, 2007, 16:21
Is it... ?

All that campaign for nothing ? :confused:
And cycling instead of driving is worse still.

Benman
November 5th, 2007, 19:52
That'd be a pretty cool scenario. :D

It really doesn't matter if Ethanol isn't any better than gasoline..

I understand your points (and believe me, after reading "Crossing the Rubicon" I am a firm believer in a greatly diminished oil supply. My point is that there are far better alternatives to corn. Biodiesel from canola oil/ recycled oil is far better. More energy per unit. Less cost to make per unit. Win, win.

Also, biodiesel hybrid would reign supreme. Tons of torque!

Kram
November 5th, 2007, 22:16
Ethanol is far easier to produce, cleaner than diesel (as today technology) and easier to adapt (my Audi S4 run on 100% ethanol).
The problem is only the corn. Make it from sugar cane and everything turns to a better solution.

Skaala
November 6th, 2007, 14:53
^so what you are saying is that rum is better than bourbon?