PDA

View Full Version : What if the TT RS is getting a ?? engine..

Iceman
October 31st, 2007, 15:35
Like i have said before,during early development of the second gen TT, Audi have also looked in to longitudinal engine mounting for it.
Based on new info there are indications that Audi is resuscitating that idea.
Early indications sugest a 3.0 V6 Bi-TFSI engine, but now it look like Audi will go a step further.
Imagine a Audi TT RS with a high reving 4.2 V8 FSI engine like the one in the RS4 :love: and with a power output between 354 and 440 hp.
The all new B8 platform 7 speed S-Tronic DSG and Torque Vectoring Quattro.
And all of this in the light weight aluminium TT Mk2 body.

Audi TT
V8 power for ultimate TT?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_455/car_photo_227712_5.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:self.close();)
Our spies catch an Audi TT with a familiar exhaust note on test in Germany

Can you guess what engine is in this hot new Audi TT? There’s a clue written on the billboard behind it!
Although Audi denies it is planning to build an RS version of its small coupé, our spy photographers claim that this car’s exhaust note was virtually identical to the roar of the 414bhp V8 in the RS4 saloon. And if you look closely at the rear bumper in our pictures, you will see the TT has similar large oval tailpipes, too.
Only last week, our spies caught Audi’s engineers putting the sporty new S version of the TT through its paces. It uses a 2.0-litre turbocharged unit tuned to about 276bhp, and would sit below the V8-powered RS in the range.
However, both models have a similar S line front bumper, which features two huge air intakes either side of the trademark Audi grille. Smart LED daytime running lamps, similar to those fitted to the R8 super­car, provide a distinctive look. Mean­while, at the back, the hot new TT features a diffuser-style bumper for improved aerodynamics.

An RS is guaranteed to offer outstanding performance. The heavier RS4 can complete the sprint from 0-62mph in only 4.8 seconds and goes on to reach a top speed limited to 155mph – so the smaller coupé should be even faster.
In the past, to avoid stepping on the toes of the all-new R8 supercar, Audi has rejected any suggestion that an RS version of the more compact two-door would be made. And as yet, there’s still no official confirmation of the existence of the most exciting TT ever. But, with a two-year waiting list for the R8, it’s possible that top brass at the German brand may have had a change of heart.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_455/car_photo_227709_5.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:self.close();)http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_455/car_photo_227706_5.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:self.close();)

Hans.

The RS6
October 31st, 2007, 20:28
Hmm that would make it faster than the R8 :/

Not sure if the R8 owners would like that... :(

+44 Dave
October 31st, 2007, 20:35
It probably wouldnt be faster than a R8, no. But it'd be close, but an R8 is about so much more than performance. Chances are the RS6 will be even to the R8 in accelleration.

Fab
October 31st, 2007, 20:36
Audi will never release such a powerfull TT. The ranking must be kept as it is i.e. R8 is obviously the marketing king and top sell priority and the RS4 must remain an icon.

My bet is that the hottest TT that Audi will release will not have more than 320-350hp which is already on the high side....

RussianM3_dude
October 31st, 2007, 21:40
With the RS4 spec engine it will be too fast. If the engine is detuned to S4 spec... Why bother????

Leadfoot
October 31st, 2007, 23:07
Hans,

I thought you had stop messing with our minds.

If and it's a big if, but if Audi did decide to develop and put into production such a machine, surely such a design difference between the normal TTs and this TT/RS would warrant calling it a different model, hack it only a TT in name and nothing else.;)

By the way I love the idea and I would love such a thing, I would place the TT/RS in this form in my garage before a RS5 regardless of their power differences. With such a difference in weight between such a TT and RS4 it would only require 345hp to match it's performance, so if it had more than this, what would the next RS5 not end up with, possibly 500hp.:dig:

God, I love a power war between the brands, but one between models sounds far more interesting. :hahahehe:

HKS786
October 31st, 2007, 23:45
Oh yeah Leadie. Good points you just raised there! Infact not just the RS5, maybe Audi are just taking the power war to another level. Look at the RS6 - 580bhp. I think we can expect big numbers for the RS5, R10 and any new TT variants. Cant wait :D

Edit: 500bhp for the RS5? the way things are going I wouldnt be suprised to be honest!

RXBG
November 1st, 2007, 00:54
how do you guys know that "TT-RS" isn't an R4 in disguise? why would audi be developing two TT variants at the same time? and finally, why in the hell would porsche ever allow it?

come on people.

hellloooooooooooooooooooo!

;p

The Pretender
November 1st, 2007, 01:10
Audi TT, V8 power for ultimate TT?
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_455/car_photo_227712_5.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:self.close%28%29;)
Nice Very Nice.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
November 1st, 2007, 08:58
Hey Hans, clear you PMs I need a chat.

tvrfan
November 1st, 2007, 15:30
how do you guys know that "TT-RS" isn't an R4 in disguise? why would audi be developing two TT variants at the same time? and finally, why in the hell would porsche ever allow it?

come on people.

hellloooooooooooooooooooo!

;p

thats audis biggest problem in future, with lamborghini and porsche they cant build the engines (high hp) and models (supercars) that they want to build. so in future they are maybe loosing ground to bmw. THAT SuCkS ! ! !

ZeroCool
November 1st, 2007, 16:13
@tvrfan...

Do you really think so?

I think that e.g. an TT with 350 HP is far from being an R8 ... the same thing with an RS6 with 580 HP - is also far from an Murcielage (which had 580HP)

So IMO there is no problem to build more powerful cars...

Rage
November 1st, 2007, 18:15
Finished work today and as i was driving past my Audi dealer, i thought i'd stop in and see if they had any more info on when the RS5 is due (I have a deposit down).

Spoke to the sales rep responsible for RS/R8 sales and he's said the TTS will be available next year and will have a 4.2l engine (~350HP) and bucket seats (I asked specifically about the bucket seats!)

The RS5 will be out 2009. Nothing official, just relaying what he said. Could be well-informed, could be BS.

A TT with a heavy 4.2 V8 FSI engine can be labled as BS.
The only way to get that in is with the B8 gearbox and lods and lots of engineroom modifications.
And i see no reason why Audi would do that, because you only get a Audi S5 with TT body.
And there is no point to do that.
It make a lot more sence to turbocharge the 3.2 VR6 engine instead.

Hans.

Humble Pie?

Leadfoot
November 1st, 2007, 18:42
To be fair, I would have thought the same as Hans with regards to this but in his defence he told be about how the TT Mk2 had been developed and how both chassis platforms were considered. They choice the A3 running gear, I reckon based on price and packaging but for something that might be priced close to the low £40K bracket I think a TTv8 could work.

My concern is where such a thing would fit into their line-up of RS Models.

tvrfan
November 1st, 2007, 19:04
@leadfoot,
your maybe right, but audi cant built a supercar like (enzo, carrera gt) they are not so free like BMW. because theres porsche and lamborghini, they would maybe kill them in performance and sales. and with an TT-RS (i hope there will be one) i dont think porsche will be very amused when the TT-RS will have 350hp or something. I think that Porsche would give AUDI a HP limit, so that AUDI in performance and also the sales is not better then Porsche. audi has also have to watch out with lamborghini. iam no hater but, iam only scared that audi maybe cant build in future their models (maybe supercars) and engines (high HP) that they want.

sry for bad english.

AndyBG
November 1st, 2007, 19:04
This sound little bit unrealistic to me...

Don't get me wrong, I would love it to happend, but I just don't see it coming...

Fab
November 1st, 2007, 19:18
me neither...

Leadfoot
November 1st, 2007, 22:28
Was chatting to a well inform friend ;) tonight and things are not what they seem with regards to this TT/RS. But the hint was that the actual engine under the bonnet is in his words 'one of the finest' they have ever built. :hahahehe: So who cares if it isn't a v8 because what ever it is it will be amazing in any case.

Sanjuro
November 1st, 2007, 23:21
I think find Porsche wont hold them back at all. Audi Runs Lamborghini anyway so if they do come up with something out of the Box they can go that way.

Anyway with the growth at the top end of the market I don't think Porsche would worry about Audi creeping so much. Audi is going for volume and therefore anything they make which is superhot will have a brand drag from the rest of the range. Which Porsche doesn't have so Porsche can stay relatively free with what they are doing.

For Audi to keep making hot cars like R8 V10, RS6 etc is only for the better of the brand and therefore the company.

If they get too hot then they will mvoe the badge somewhere else.

http://www.diseno-art.com/images/Audi-Rosemeyer.jpg
http://www.edmunds.com/media/il/features/driving/06.bugatti.veyron/bugatti.veyron.act.f34.500.jpg

Either way the market wont miss out.

AndyBG
November 1st, 2007, 23:21
So, it is possible return of the five cilinder turbo ? :hahahehe:

Leadfoot
November 1st, 2007, 23:36

From reading between the lines I reckon what ever the engine is it's too good to stay solely in the TT/RS. Is it possibly the engine for the next S4.

HKS786
November 1st, 2007, 23:40
Was chatting to a well inform friend ;) tonight and things are not what they seem with regards to this TT/RS. But the hint was that the actual engine under the bonnet is in his words 'one of the finest' they have ever built. :hahahehe: So who cares if it isn't a v8 because what ever it is it will be amazing in any case.

Great to hear! It might explain why they said the prototype sounded like the RS4 with the same grunt :hahahehe: :jlol:

HKS786
November 1st, 2007, 23:41

I remember hearing that there would be a new 5 cylinder turbo to rival BMW's 3.0TT...

AndyBG
November 1st, 2007, 23:47
So, in that case roumored 3.0 V6 bi-turbo looks like more possible solution...

Sanjuro
November 1st, 2007, 23:51
Supposedly the next generation of the 2.7 litre biturbo V6 is due soon which is said to be 3.0 to 3.2 litres which is probably more the BMW competitor.

For the 5? New territory I guess. If it is 350 horse it's going to be pretty special and probably have a good weight advantage over the V6 - but regarding putting in the other models (A4, A6...) would the length fit within Audi's Longditudinal platform which so far only has up to the V8 in it?

RXBG
November 2nd, 2007, 01:33
ok now i am getting really EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously guys. my boring side says V6 TT. easier to adapt to various model lines, etc.................

but my heart wants a twin charged I5. that would kick serious a$$. but i it would have to be a low volume motor b/c i don't see it replacins the S5 V8 and going into the S4.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Leadfoot
November 2nd, 2007, 07:21
Unless I am missing something I don't see how it can be an in-line 5 cylinder because the last time I hear one of them it didn't sound much like a RS4 engine.

I think you have to think of what could make a sound similar to a v8 FSi high revving engine and then you will have got it. ;)

Sanjuro
November 2nd, 2007, 08:01
Audi's S1 5 cylinder sounded like a lot of things

Leadfoot
November 2nd, 2007, 10:01
I have learned a little bit more about this TT and I can say it's definitely not a V8 engine, but I will say that my last statement is incorrect. :deal:

Read into that what you will. ;)

P.S.

I also think I know what it's name might be. :hahahehe:

tvrfan
November 2nd, 2007, 10:26
and what name? not TT-RS???

RussianM3_dude
November 2nd, 2007, 10:42
I have learned a little bit more about this TT and I can say it's definitely not a V8 engine, but I will say that my last statement is incorrect. :deal:

Read into that what you will. ;)

P.S.

I also think I know what it's name might be. :hahahehe:

A big V6 can sound sorta like a V8.

Leadfoot
November 2nd, 2007, 11:34
Here another thing I just thought of, if this TT isn't called a TT/RS (please don't read into this) then it could be made else where and only developed by Quattro, meaning the car could be on the streets a lot sooner.

Fab
November 2nd, 2007, 11:46
All this discussion reminds me about my former TT V6 roadster DSG (gone August 06). The TT is a great car even more TT MK2 so Audi must give it a really sporty engine and I agree that this upcoming TTS or RS is close to birth.

RXBG
November 2nd, 2007, 12:39
mebbe a high revving 3.6L V6 NA. a mini R8 engine, if you will, in this upcoming S version of the TT. i still maintain- there will never be an RS version of the TT.

El_cucaracha
November 2nd, 2007, 20:10
is there any chance for diesel to appear on TT RS...? there where rumors about TDI R8, maybe they were developing Diesel TT instead of R8, it would have been a brilliant expirience before building the R10 Street legal hypercar.... it could be 4.0L Bi-turbo V8 TDI from A8, or 3.0L Bi-Turbo....

Fab
November 2nd, 2007, 20:39
I think we are far away of seeing diesel sport coupe from Audi. I think people are not ready to get a diesel in a sport coupe no matter how good the diesel performs.

Leadfoot
November 2nd, 2007, 23:40
There is a diesel TT coming but it won't be a RS version. The engine will be a 2.0TDi (high power) 204hp version and I think I heard something about late next year being stated by my dealer.

AndyBG
November 3rd, 2007, 02:39
There is a diesel TT coming but it won't be a RS version. The engine will be a 2.0TDi (high power) 204hp version and I think I heard something about late next year being stated by my dealer.

I just wanted to say that :D
I think that 2.0 TDI 170 hps front wheel drive option will be offered as well.

El_cucaracha
November 3rd, 2007, 08:23
even after the R10 winning le-mans, and TDI seat leon cupra winnig races in WTCC? and Diesel Tourege R5 almost as good as mitsibishi pajero evolution on dakar?

oh yes, i have heared about TDI 2.0 liter common rail engine. the same engine is mounted in cross coupe concept, and soon we will see it on new A4....

Fab
November 3rd, 2007, 15:02
I am very scheptical about the success of a TT diesel :rolleyes: especially if the offered engine is a plain vanilla 200hp.

RussianM3_dude
November 3rd, 2007, 16:19
Actually it's the one that makes sense. For those who just want to pose on a (fuel) budget.

AndyBG
November 4th, 2007, 03:44
2.0 TDI with 143 hps in B8 A4 and Tiguan is allready common-rail...

TT diesel will be huge succes, I'm 99% sure... I could go as far away and say that I'm expecting it to be more than 50% of Europe sales when arrives...

Leadfoot
November 4th, 2007, 09:36
What if the TT RS is getting a ?? engine..

Hey guys remember what started this thread lets get back on track here.

I have been told as much from someone who should know and it's not a V8, but he said that it's sound is similar. When I advice that not 5cylinder from Audi could ever be mistaken for something like the RS4, he informed me that I could be wrong in that. So any guesses as to what it is guys. ;)

HKS786
November 4th, 2007, 10:38
What if the TT RS is getting a ?? engine..

Hey guys remember what started this thread lets get back on track here.

I have been told as much from someone who should know and it's not a V8, but he said that it's sound is similar. When I advice that not 5cylinder from Audi could ever be mistaken for something like the RS4, he informed me that I could be wrong in that. So any guesses as to what it is guys. ;)

Hmmm, I heard about this 5cylinder a while back. But it was supposed to be rivaling BMW's 3.0TT, that would put it in S territory. But then again, 350bhp in a TT would have to the RS variant :hahahehe:

ZeroCool
November 4th, 2007, 11:43
listen guys...i don't know if you know this picture...it is really old...

http://www.audi4ever.at/fdb/pics/2819_5897f8e49c2d14373207edf9df15a7f3.jpg

But INTERESTING ;)

HKS786
November 4th, 2007, 12:47
Inside VW’s New “Twincharger” TSI Engine
31 August 2005

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/08/inside_vws_new_.html

From the website:

http://bioage.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/tsi_airflow.png

Rage
November 4th, 2007, 12:49
Test drove an slk55 amg yesterday.

Nothing beats a V8 for right foot indulged stupid grin hooliganism.

Im almost ready to forget the TT after that.

ZeroCool
November 4th, 2007, 12:55
Thanks for that pic HKS786

i can't say if the pic i posted is only a chop from this pic...maybe

Leadfoot
November 5th, 2007, 11:50
:confused: WHERE THE FU#K IS HANS?

It's no good starting a thread and then disappearing without supplying answers, bad form old chum. :noshake:

AndyBG
November 5th, 2007, 11:58
Test drove an slk55 amg yesterday.

Nothing beats a V8 for right foot indulged stupid grin hooliganism.

Im almost ready to forget the TT after that.

Wait little more, maybe this new TT-S/RS will win you back...

HKS786
November 5th, 2007, 12:56
:confused: WHERE THE FU#K IS HANS?

It's no good starting a thread and then disappearing without supplying answers, bad form old chum. :noshake:

It's strange because he's still over at Carspyshots.net. Maybe he has a reason. Anyway someone asked him about the 2.5 I5 and here's what he said:

Iceman (http://www.carspyshots.net/zerouser?cmd=viewprofile&id=3028) 11:17 PM 11/4/2007

"Based on the info i have it's still in the pipeline.

http://www.audiforum.nl/phpBB2/files/audi-tt-r_160.jpg"

HKS786
November 5th, 2007, 12:58
ZeroCool:

According to what Hans just said maybe you are right and that pic isnt a chop. I see that the diagram you posted is the same as what Hans just posted at Carspyshots.net (see above). For everyone else here's the full-size version that ZeroCool posted above:

http://www.audi4ever.at/fdb/pics/2819_5897f8e49c2d14373207edf9df15a7f3.jpg

ZeroCool
November 5th, 2007, 17:58
@HKS...

Thanks - i was really sure that it isn't a chop...so it seems like Hans also think so...

Look forward guys...to what is comming :D

El_cucaracha
November 5th, 2007, 18:12
OK, if TTS will have 2.5 TSI 5 cylinder engine, with 348 hp, than how powerful would TTR be? it would be brilliant if TTR had less weight than TTS, like more extreme version, with sharper steering, a trackday car... maybe 30/70 % split of power between front and rear axels.... something like old Sport Quattro.... of course it should have bit more power than S version... i just wanna see M3 CLS killer....

ZeroCool
November 5th, 2007, 19:00
If the TT-S gets this engine...then there won't be a TT-RS
If the TT-S gets the "smaller" engine from S3 ... then there will be a TT-RS with this 5 Cylinder engine...

AndyBG
November 6th, 2007, 00:02
What engine would it be, I wonder...

V6 would be great, ''R5'' would be like it used to be...

tvrfan
November 6th, 2007, 16:19
why this shit? TT-R? why not TT-RS? is the TT-R build by audi or quattro gmbh? i hate these name changings!!

AndyBG
November 6th, 2007, 16:40
TT S and TT R, that is what would I love to see.

Something like Merc's SL 55 AMG and SL 65 AMG... two sport variants in one model.

tvrfan
November 6th, 2007, 16:46
so the TT-R is going to build by audi???

if it would so, i would love to see more a TT-RS as a TT-R. "R" sounds like volkswagen R36 or something, and audi hasent produced nothing with an "R" name (not RS) .

ZeroCool
November 6th, 2007, 16:47
@tvrfan...

TT-R is just a idea from some users...it's not 100% sure that they'll call it like that..

AndyBG
November 6th, 2007, 16:59
... and audi hasent produced nothing with an "R" name (not RS) .

How about R8 ? :)

Leadfoot
November 6th, 2007, 17:19

That's why I hinted it might be called the R5. ;)

RussianM3_dude
November 6th, 2007, 17:24
Whats the problem? We all know Audis are just VW in a smart suit. Might as well be honest about it.

tvrfan
November 6th, 2007, 17:42

yeah the R8 your right, but i mean with the TT- (R), the R version will be just a sportier version maybe like S version just more powerful, they have to build it by the Quattro GMBH and call it RS then iam happy. to many names are silly, S, R, RS.

ZeroCool
November 6th, 2007, 17:44
for me it's important - that it has enough power :D
not how it's called...

AndyBG
November 6th, 2007, 18:54
I will repeat my self once again, and say that I would like to see two ''sporty'' TTs,
TT S with smaller engine and TT RS with something POWERFULL (V8, V6 turbo...)

Fab
November 8th, 2007, 19:32
Audi will for shure make 50% of your dream come true :D

Mori
November 9th, 2007, 00:03
Whats the problem? We all know Audis are just VW in a smart suit. Might as well be honest about it.

I believe that at this point in time and space only the A3 and TT share any meaningful parts with VWs, namely the floorpan.

AndyBG
November 9th, 2007, 00:41
Audi will for shure make 50% of your dream come true :D

I hope they will... 100% :D

Toto89
November 9th, 2007, 16:44

In this case BMW should brace itself up because they are even behind VW! At least if you say Audis are essentially VWs.

RussianM3_dude
November 9th, 2007, 17:02
BMW behind VW? I like what you are smoking!

Leadfoot
November 9th, 2007, 18:19
M3_dude,

I think things must be boring you at the minute as fewer and fewer people are getter annoyed by your continued anti-audi comments.

Fab
November 9th, 2007, 20:42
I hope they will... 100% :D I thought Porsche was already taking care of your dream :bye2:

HKS786
November 9th, 2007, 22:02
I thought Porsche was already taking care of your dream :bye2:

Shh, dont remind him. Bring him over to the light :hihi:

AndyBG
November 10th, 2007, 12:27
I thought Porsche was already taking care of your dream :bye2:

now, I just need to make that dream come true... :D

Fab
November 11th, 2007, 11:20
I'm shure you will make it :thumb:

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 11:11
Guys, I know what it's getting and it's sweet. :love:

Watch this space. :thumb:

RussianM3_dude
November 27th, 2007, 12:32
Guys, I know TOO!!!!!!!!!

I can only tell you after the official announcement though, otherwise my source might lose a job.

AndyBG
November 27th, 2007, 13:20
Ha, Ha... ! I know it too !!! :D

Thanks to one friend of mine ! ;)

RXBG
November 27th, 2007, 13:20
does anyone know for sure when the heck it will be announced? detroit? new york? geneva?- these last two shows are terribly scheduled this year. literally back to back.

AndyBG
November 27th, 2007, 13:22
That, I don't know, but Geneva sound most logical to me.

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 13:41
Guys, I know TOO!!!!!!!!!

I can only tell you after the official announcement though, otherwise my source might lose a job.

Respect for your source is the reason why I know what is will use (engine), how much it will have (output) and when it will be (launched).

Tell me what I got wrong with the RS6 before making your silly remarks. :looking:

RussianM3_dude
November 27th, 2007, 14:09
You mad predictions about RS6???

I also know EXACTLY (from my ex-KGB contacts) what engine line-up the R4 will have and when it will be launched. Can't say... for obvious reasons.

Well, I could tell you... but then I'll have to kill you. Need to know basis... You understand.

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 14:44
Does anyone else notice that when something really exciting about RS models that M3_dude and other BMW fanboys seem to come out of the woodwork and start posting anti-Audi comments like mad.

It does look like they are getting worried..................and for good reason.:hihi:

RussianM3_dude
November 27th, 2007, 15:19
I just find posting things like "I know exactly when X is going to happen but can't tell you" very very mauvais gout. If you know and can't tell, then just keep that to yourself. Otherwise everybody will be making those kind of "predictions". Besides your source could probably be wrong as they are 90% of the time.

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 15:36
M3_dude,

You are sooo right as always. ;)

RussianM3_dude
November 27th, 2007, 16:17
Mais bien sur, as always.

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 16:25
But of course, seriously M3_dude I was joking.

The Pretender
November 27th, 2007, 16:39
Guys, I know what it's getting and it's sweet. :love:

Watch this space. :thumb:
They are testing a 310 hp 2.3 VR5 TFSI according to Quattro GmbH chef Werner Frowein. ;)

Jarod.

AndyBG
November 27th, 2007, 16:45
This way or another, Audi TT-R(S) will be GREAT, and many people will be VERY surprised with its fantastic performance. I don't know is there going to more of those that are happy for it or unhappy...

RussianM3_dude
November 27th, 2007, 16:46
I think Porsche will have something to say about this.

tvrfan
November 27th, 2007, 16:55

i dont think so, audi wont kill porsches sales. and performance, its audis thing how powerful their engines are :king:

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 16:58

I reckon Porsche has already spoke and that is why production is increasing. :jlol:

AndyBG
November 27th, 2007, 17:00
Porsche will certanly have something to say. Next year facelifted 911 is out, with stronger engines, so there will be room for Cayman and Boxster to go ''up'', there are even some roomers, unconfirmed alltough, about some ''sportier'' Cayman, GTS maybe...

The Pretender
November 27th, 2007, 17:07
I'm very unhappy. :nono:
Why in the hell use a old dated Volkswagen 2.3 litre VR5 engine.
The engine get a overhaul, FSI and a turbo, nothing more.
There is no "Vorsprung durch technik" in that.

jarod.

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 17:11
Porsche will certanly have something to say. Next year facelifted 911 is out, with stronger engines, so there will be room for Cayman and Boxster to go ''up'', there are even some roomers, unconfirmed alltough, about some ''sportier'' Cayman, GTS maybe...

I'm I not right in saying that Porsche are to start using Audi's FSi technology in their future cars, starting with the 2009 911? Personally I don't really see the two brands as competitor, especially if they continue to use different engines/transmissions and layouts.

Porsche will milk Audi for what it's worth, capitalising on every niche out there and that includes the RS model range. What Porsche bought of shares was worth 3 billion euros is now worth 18 billion euros, they know when they are on to a good things.

AndyBG
November 27th, 2007, 17:17
You have wright Leadfoot, I was just saying something about future Porsche plans, not anouncing a ''war'', I'v allways watched at Porsche and Audi as one big, strong family ! :D

RussianM3_dude
November 27th, 2007, 17:20
I am thinking the Adams family.

Audiphile
November 27th, 2007, 18:02
The latest from Fourtitude.com

TTS
Preproduction test mules of the upcoming TTS have been seen rounding the Nurburgring weeks ago, while just this week, two more undisguised red examples were photographed behind a chain link fence at an Audi facility in Germany. We know the TTS is coming, and now we know when.

Word is, the TTS drops in Motown as a full production model. Even better, we are happy to confirm that the car will be sold in North America.

From the preproduction versions spotted, we can make a pretty good guess at what the TTS will look like. The attached mockup by Hans Zwijnenburg shows what we believe the car might look like - the body kit lifted directly from the preproduction prototype spy photos.

Under the hood will be the same more powerful drivetrain as the European S3. It may be a slightly different tune, but we’re told the setup is basically the same. Going on that, the S3’s 265-hp 2.0T should be quite potent in the lighter and nimbler alloy TT chassis.:ttaddict:

Look forward to seein the TTS at the Detroit show. It should give clues for the upcoming TTRS. Also, a likely R8 Targa with possible V10 might be shows at Detroit.

Audiphile
November 27th, 2007, 18:03
I am thinking the Adams family.

And the Quandts are "The Munsters.":harass:

RussianM3_dude
November 27th, 2007, 18:15
I think more like the Mansons.

tvrfan
November 27th, 2007, 19:07
omg just the same engine as in the S3, =(( i was hoping updated engine with 275 hp or something. thats boring !!!

RXBG
November 27th, 2007, 19:32
omg just the same engine as in the S3, =(( i was hoping updated engine with 275 hp or something. thats boring !!!

keep your fingers crossed. the clubsport had a 300 hp 2.0 T.

maybe this will be an updated S3 engine.

what i've been thinking is that the TT-S cannot have the same powerplant as the S3. the TT is not in the same class as the A3. the TT is a higher status, premium kind of car. the previous S3 had a 210 hp version of the old top line TT 225 hp engine. so, i am thinking that the TT line is about to drop the V6, update the base 200 hp 2.0T engine to 230 hp or so and replace the V6 with a HO version of the same engine with 280 hp or so. (which is what should have happened from day one imho)

consequently, the TT-S will have room for either the S4 powerplant (V6 TT 334 hp) or the lighter, but almost as powerful I5 turbo with 320 hp.

i think it has to be this way because it would not make much marketing sense to offer a 250 hp V6 and a 280 hp S3 engine, no matter how much lighter it is.

however, if what i am thinking is right, and fourtitude is right, then audi will have to show a whole brand new TT engine line up for the US in detroit.

AND- if fourtitude is right- and the R8 variant and the TT-S bow in detroit, what will audi show in new york and geneva? an A7 concept, new S4, and the updated A6? i guess that would make way for one big debut in paris- the V10 R8.

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 19:38
The info I had months ago was that the TT/S will run a 2.0TFSi engine at a slightly higher state of tune to the S3 so lets say 270~275hp and there was suggestions that (again Porsche hints here) a performance pack would be offered to boost power by 15~20hp.

I can't see a problem with something like that being possible.

tvrfan
November 27th, 2007, 20:00
but what ive read before wasnt so great too, audi would use for possible TT-RS a 2.3l 5cylinder TFSI engine wich is from VW. Audi should stop using engines from VW like 2.0 TDI and 2.0 TFSI. They are loosing something special with using same engines like VW.

Audiphile
November 27th, 2007, 20:12
I think more like the Mansons.

You are right - good one! BMWs are scary to look at! :thumb:

SigmaS6
November 27th, 2007, 20:44
You're not really telling me that you wished for 275hp and are now disappointed as it might be 265hp? You don't just consider a performance decrease of ~3.7% essential, you're even able to notice that? :)

tvrfan
November 27th, 2007, 21:07
DUDE thats 10hp ^^ its enough to go 0.3 sec faster from 0-60mph, *joke*

but what ive read before wasnt so great too, audi would use for possible TT-RS a 2.3l 5cylinder TFSI engine wich is from VW. Audi should stop using engines from VW like 2.0 TDI and 2.0 TFSI. They are loosing something special with using same engines like VW.

crespo
November 27th, 2007, 21:27
...repost?

Aside from Leadie, apparently, nobody knows anything about the I-5. And I don't think Audi would make do with a little over 300hp for *ANY* RS model.

*PURE SPECULATION WARNING*
If I were a betting man, I'd predict around 340-350hp from a 2.5L TFSI I-5.
/*PURE SPECULATION WARNING*

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 21:54
...repost?

Aside from Leadie, apparently, nobody knows anything about the I-5. And I don't think Audi would make do with a little over 300hp for *ANY* RS model.

Oh I reckon with some of the posts that have been going around this thread there is a few of you which know some of it. ;)

Well apart form M3_dude that is.:lovl:

crespo
November 27th, 2007, 21:57
was I far off? :D

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 21:59
was I far off? :D

Sorry I couldn't hear that. ;)

ZeroCool

Sounds interesting :D

I'm with you :) i also bet something - don't know what - but i bet :D

crespo
caps lock? or how about a PM? :D

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 22:06
It's funny but with the RS6, we all talked about 580hp or there about for months and months and some how that is exactly what Audi gave it, now we have been speculating for months on the power of the TT/RS at 350hp or there about...............will Audi grate us or wish.;)

Well tell me, if true does there look to be a pattern forming.......we request, Audi deliver.

P.S.

Santa (Audi) please can I have an RS5 will 500hp.:D

ZeroCool
November 27th, 2007, 22:12
@Leadfoot...

Please help me...what do you mean with a "pattern forming"? i don't know what you mean...?!

thx

Leadfoot
November 27th, 2007, 22:17
ZeroCool,

A wee joke, it seems that what we are discussing always seem to end up what they deliver.

P.S.
The RS5 thing was a joke also, so don't get your hopes up.;)

ZeroCool
November 27th, 2007, 22:34
ah - ok ... i understand :)

p.s.
The RS5-Thing i also don't believe :) i think it will have about 550HP :D - also just kidding - and of course dreaming ...

AndyBG
November 27th, 2007, 23:48
We know what engines will be in it, but we don't the name. :D

TT-S, that one is for sure, but is it going to be TT-R or TT-RS... ?

itisme
November 28th, 2007, 11:11
from www.worldcarfans.com :

Why the Audi RS8 Burned

New V10 in the works

Back in July we pointed a blaming finger at an oil or gasoline leak, but now we know the true cause of the pictured blasphemy. quattro boss Werner Frowein spoke with Swedish journalists and revealed that the now famous burnt Audi R8 on the 'Ring was indeed a RS8 test mule. The test mule was equipped with the RS6 Avant twin-turbo V10 delivering 580 hp, but in the mid-engine set-up it also caused the Audi RS8 to catch fire due to the produced heat. To make matters worse, three test mules went up in flames in this manner.

Werner Frowein: “The 580 hp strong V10 will not be making it into the RS8, we are currently working on a ten-cylinder with just over 500 hp.” He also mentions that the RS models will start production earlier into the models life-cycle, as we mentioned earlier this week.

Other news is that Audi is developing an Audi TT RS with a new 5-cylinder 2.3 liter engine, producing 310 hp and is meant to take on the likes of the BMW Z4 M Coupe.

Furthermore, Nieuws.nl mentions that the Audi RS4 should not be too far off, which confuses us at the WCF newsroom since Audi tends to only produce one RS model at a time and the RS6 Avant just went into production. The RS4 should be powered by a V8 or bi-turbo V6 and compete with the Mercedes C63 AMG and BMW M3, but mr Frowein let nothing slip on the subject.

gess rumors are over now....

ARTICLE (http://www.worldcarfans.com/9071128.005/why-the-audi-rs8-burned)

Leadfoot
November 28th, 2007, 12:19
Some of what was said is true, the R8 will continue with the High-revving power units as will some others. :hahahehe:

The TT/RS may have a inline5 :D and it's power may well have a 3 at the start of it's power figures. ;) But don't believe that it's only being built to compete with the likes of the Z4M, this car is a lot, lot better and quicker than that. :hahahehe:

AndyBG
November 28th, 2007, 15:31
I just found these pic's...

On this forum they say its TT S, but it looks like there is a complete confusion, at least when it comes to name...

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/viewtopic.php?t=102644&sid=4b5da5de1080e1315e6c8165e2502ebf

tvrfan
November 28th, 2007, 16:40
is it true that audi could make more than 310 hp for the TT-RS because they would kill porsche in sales and performance??? 350ps would be perfect, more than the M coupe and so it has 34ps difference. sad but i dont know the reason.

ZeroCool
November 28th, 2007, 21:17
are you sure that they will kill porsche in sales and performance?

Ok, in performance maybe....but an Audi TT-RS with 350 HP - is far away from an Porsche...and the people how want a Porsche - want a Porsche - not a TT ... :)

So i think there is no problem...

Mori
November 29th, 2007, 12:57
I'd get a BoxterS over a TT anyday unfortunately. The drivetrain just doesn't do it for me on the TT, no matter how powerful it is.

ZeroCool
November 29th, 2007, 13:10
That's the thing i'm talking about ;)

Leadfoot
December 2nd, 2007, 07:08
are you sure that they will kill porsche in sales and performance?

Ok, in performance maybe....but an Audi TT-RS with 350 HP - is far away from an Porsche...and the people how want a Porsche - want a Porsche - not a TT ... :)

So i think there is no problem...

I understand what you are saying but is this not based on the way the present TTs drive and less to do with the technology. If you were of to based your opinion of the RS4 based on how the A4 or S4 drives then you probably wouldn't rate the RS4 that highly, but the fact is the RS4 is an amazing machine.

I think like I have said about the next S4, best to hold judgement until we see what it has that is different and until we have had a chance to drive it.

I personally reckon that since the TT/RS will be the work of Quattro themselves it should drive as well if not even better than the RS4 and for no other reason than it will be a full 200Kgs plus lighter.

Think about it.

The Pretender
December 2nd, 2007, 09:31
Priview Audi TT-R.
Thursday 30 August 2007.

A potent high-performance version of the TT Coupe and Roadster is not very far away, however, specific details of the future model are still hard to come by. There’s been much debate about the power source for the new super-coupe with most suggesting either a twin-turbo version of the current 3.2L V6 engine or a brand new five-cylinder turbo unit.

According to info leaked from a reputable source at Audi, the new car will actually be powered by a 2.3L VR5 engine with a turbocharger. Final output will be 308hp (230kW), and the car won’t be called the TT-RS but simply TT-R. The engine will feature all the latest in Audi technology include new direct-injection as well as a fast-spooling turbo. This engine will also feature in multiple models in the Audi range apart from the TT.

Previous spy-shots revealed a prototype with huge cross-drilled brake discs and upgraded calipers as well as an electronic rear-spoiler covered with a strip of carbon-fiber.

This latest rendering of the car gives a preview as to what the final version is likely to look when it’s unveiled early next year, most likely at the Geneva Motor Show in March. Key features will be the extended wheel arches, new bumpers and a lowered ride-height.

This movie. (http://www.autoweek.nl/videodisp.php?id=698&cache=no) confirms this story, 2.3 VR5 TFSI (100% Not the Sound of a Inline 5) TT-RS test mule 7 min in.

Jarod.

RussianM3_dude
December 2nd, 2007, 11:00
300hp? Z4M would still be ahead.

Leadfoot
December 2nd, 2007, 11:06
I just went back to check on the info that was passed to me and I must say that no where does it say inline5, it only says 5cylinder so your info is more than likely correct. As for the power output being 308bhp, what can I say, I know for the info I have that the car has been tested well above that and by quite a huge margin I might add. Is it possible like the RS6 that Audi have design into the transmissions a large safety margin on this new and improved DSG box.

Or are they playing down the figure like that of the RS6.:hahahehe:

Is it time yet the start the ball rolling on a poll of estimated lap times. ;)

Leadfoot
December 2nd, 2007, 11:08
300hp? Z4M would still be ahead.

The Z4M did the ring in 8:15 I think though I am not sure if there is anything official on it.

You reckon the TT/RS will not be ahead of that.

Dream on.:hihi:

Mori
December 2nd, 2007, 12:52
The TT would be a nicer car if it had the R8s or a proper Quattro system, not Haldex. I have haldex in my S3 and while its nice, its no where near as good as the RS4.

AndyBG
December 2nd, 2007, 17:13
It is difficult task, but we can expect some improvements on the Haldex system.

The Pretender
December 2nd, 2007, 17:55
It is difficult task, but we can expect some improvements on the Haldex system.
http://www.haldex-xwd.com (http://www.haldex-xwd.com/)

Jarod.

Leadfoot
December 2nd, 2007, 22:26
Jarod,

To the best of my knowledge all Audi Quattros will be adopting Sports diff in one form or another so based on this I reckon we will see the TT/S and TT/RS with Haldex-xwd as standard before being adopted to the rest of the range, including the A3s.

I was also told we will see the TT/S receiving an improve DSG system, does this mean 7 gears or just an improved shift time with possibly gear hold so as not to shift up until you want it.

RussianM3_dude
December 3rd, 2007, 08:24
So what is this Sports diff?

Leadfoot
December 3rd, 2007, 11:36
So what is this Sports diff?

I think the best way to describe it is to say is a electronic LSD with the abilities to alter how it behaves.

RussianM3_dude
December 3rd, 2007, 11:37
For Quattro only or for FWD cars too?

Leadfoot
December 3rd, 2007, 13:35
For Quattro only or for FWD cars too?

As the diff goes between the rear wheels I think that should be enough explaination you require.

RussianM3_dude
December 3rd, 2007, 15:01
Well, it could concievably go between the front wheels, no?

Leadfoot
December 3rd, 2007, 17:04
Well, it could concievably go between the front wheels, no?

In theory but possibly the rear of the car does the more steering on the throttle and this is why there may be only a rear sports diff. I think Haldex-xwd work different and provides front and rear diffs.

tvrfan
December 4th, 2007, 19:22
if the engine will be a Biturbo, what i think, i would think its better if its called then TTFSI not TFSI so you can see the difference between normal turbo and biturbo engines. same on new RS6, its just called TFSI but its a TTFSI (biturbo). i like the double TT like old b5 S4. whos with me???

Mori
December 4th, 2007, 20:59
As far as I remember all Audi's and VWs with FWD are equipped with EDL (Electronic Diff Lock), though its no way sporty, but it does help in wet/snowy conditions (had it on my 91 Passat).

XtremeDriving
December 7th, 2007, 16:14
i am glad that at last everybody believed what i had been told some months ago about new and big quattro g.m.b.h facility and complete range of RS cars too. So as i had been said their will be an TT-RS, and RS3, an RS1, an RS7, RS8, even an R8-RS with twin-turbo like the Le Mans concept, i know this for sure from my dealer and he knows from the meetings of Audi A.G. where president Rupert Stadler confirmed this. Long live the new TT-RS, i just wait to see how will perform this beast, but till then we should expect the little beast:TT-S:D

tvrfan
December 7th, 2007, 23:35
@ XtremeDriving

your not 100% correct. your more a believer ;-)

there will be never a RS8 or R8/RS with twin turbo. because he goes up in flames and ruper stadler said there will be none Twin turbo engine in the R8. i dont think there will be a RS3 and RS1 too. all these cars would be a dream. but never come true. and Quattro GmbH has not a so big capacity to build all these cars at same time. and when all these models would come out, they will be all to late. because factory capacity. they can build max. 2 or 3 cars at same time ;-).

just my 2 cents

AndyBG
December 8th, 2007, 02:11
R8 biturbo, I doubt, but every other car that XtremeDriving said, I wouldn't dismiss.

Audi is growing, and RS 3 and RS 8 aren't that impossible any more... RS 7 is 100% sure.

The Pretender
December 8th, 2007, 04:31
R8 biturbo, I doubt, but every other car that XtremeDriving said, I wouldn't dismiss.

Audi is growing, and RS 3 and RS 8 aren't that impossible any more... RS 7 is 100% sure.
A RS8 can simply have the 5.0 V10 Bi-TFSI off the RS6 or the 6.0 W12 Bi-Turbo off the Bentley Continantal GT.
A RS3 can get the same engine as the upcoming TT-RS.

jarod.

Leadfoot
December 8th, 2007, 11:38
Unless BMW bring out an M model in the 1 series then I see little point for Audi to go the route of a RS3. I believe with the introduction of the TT/S Audi will offer a performance pack to boost the power closer to that of the 135i and at present this 3.0Bi-turbo unit is only available in the coupe I don't see the point of Audi upping the S3 with a model above it. Lets face it, the S3 already has the 130i beaten well and truly with it's 265ps.

Rage
December 8th, 2007, 13:26
Am i the only one that thinks the 1 series is the ugliest car ever?

tvrfan
December 8th, 2007, 13:28
yeah S3 beats 130i but 135i is another caliber ;-)

Leadfoot
December 8th, 2007, 16:25
tvrfan,

There is no 135i in hatchback form so though the 135i Coupe can easily better the acceleration figures of the S3 the two cars aren't really competing with each other, that is the position of the TT/S and even with it's 270hp I believe in standard form will be more than a match for the 135i because of it's PTW.

The Pretender
December 8th, 2007, 16:40
Audi S3 PTW, 265 hp - 1455 Kg = 5.49 Kg.
BMW 135i PTW, 306 hp - 1460 Kg = 4.77 Kg.
Audi TTS PTW, 270 hp - 1395 Kg = 5.17 Kg.

Jarod.

tvrfan
December 8th, 2007, 17:10
tvrfan,

There is no 135i in hatchback form so though the 135i Coupe can easily better the acceleration figures of the S3 the two cars aren't really competing with each other, that is the position of the TT/S and even with it's 270hp I believe in standard form will be more than a match for the 135i because of it's PTW.

but its already confirmed that the 135i will come as hatchback too ;-)

Leadfoot
December 8th, 2007, 18:20
Audi S3 PTW, 265 hp - 1455 Kg = 5.49 Kg.
BMW 135i PTW, 306 hp - 1460 Kg = 4.77 Kg.
Audi TTS PTW, 270 hp - 1395 Kg = 5.17 Kg.

Jarod.

Jarod,

Has the TT/S weight been confirmed or is this what you believe will be it's weight.

If not then I think it's a bit high based on what is actually being added to the existing 2.0TFSi TT. Remember that really the only increase should be the Haldex system and the rear axle itself, so all of this should only add about 80kgs to the basic TT and that would mean a weight of 1350Kgs.

Still not enough to match the 135i but the remaining speed should be made up with the DSG box.

The Pretender
December 8th, 2007, 18:42
Jarod,

Has the TT/S weight been confirmed or is this what you believe will be it's weight.

If not then I think it's a bit high based on what is actually being added to the existing 2.0TFSi TT. Remember that really the only increase should be the Haldex system and the rear axle itself, so all of this should only add about 80kgs to the basic TT and that would mean a weight of 1350Kgs.

Still not enough to match the 135i but the remaining speed should be made up with the DSG box.
There will also be the Quattro gearbox that weigh more then the FWD one.
But this is based on the 60 Kg weight advantage of the TT body over the 3-door A3 one.
There for S3 weight 1455 Kg less 60 Kg makes 1395 Kg TTS weight gif or take a few kilo's IMHO.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
December 8th, 2007, 20:41
There will also be the Quattro gearbox that weigh more then the FWD one.
But this is based on the 60 Kg weight advantage of the TT body over the 3-door A3 one.
There for S3 weight 1455 Kg less 60 Kg makes 1395 Kg TTS weight gif or take a few kilo's IMHO.

Jarod.

There you go, I honestly thought there was a bigger difference between the two, only 60Kgs and I was sure that it was more like 90kgs.

I know you will have researched this and I know I haven't so I bow to your better judgement.:bow:

Maybe someone like Qisha can tell us what he believes the TT/S will weigh and quit all the speculation.

tvrfan
December 8th, 2007, 21:54
why do you all think the TT/S will beat 135i, that would be awesome. but it cant happen. compare the audis with same power as the bmws. the bmws still win ever on acceleration (rwd, less weight... ok from 0-60mph the audi should be faster because quattro but above them not). and now the TT/S will get 270PS thats 36PS lesser than the 135i. even if the TT/S have 306PS, he wouldnt be able to beat him, because quattro. TT/S would maybe faster from 0-60mph but about 100mph............ theres no way it will be faster. the 135i is biturbo too, the audi single.

The Pretender
December 8th, 2007, 22:02
Haldex 4WD is most of time FWD.

Jarod.

Qisha
December 8th, 2007, 22:23
Dear Friends,

the TT-S will have 200KW (272HP), the PTW is <5Kg (manual).

Qisha

The Pretender
December 8th, 2007, 22:34
Dear Friends,

the TT-S will have 200KW (272HP), the PTW is <5Kg (manual).

Qisha
That make the TTS 1360 Kg if it get 272 hp.
That is only possible with weight savings like bucket seats instead of normal seats, ceramic brakes, more aluminium use, and so on.
The best weight will be 1370 Kg IMHO.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
December 8th, 2007, 23:29
Jarod,

I thought the figure you provided for the 135i was wrong and on checking I was indeed correct and you were wrong, the actual figure is 1560Kgs. Now if Qisha is correct and the TT/S has a weight of 1360Kgs which I do believe to be about right, this means that I was right in thinking the TT/S has a slighty better PTW than the 135i and when you remember it has the DSG option that should mean it will be the quicker in acceleration and not just the 0-60mph like what tvrfan thinks but the whole hog.

TT/S with 272hp weighing 1360Kgs = 5.00Kgs

135i Coupe with 306hp & 1560Kgs = 5.098Kgs

S5 with 354hp weighing 1630Kgs = 4.60Kgs

Now if as in some reviews the S5 can post times of 4.5s to 60mph and the 1/4mile in 13.1s then I think it is quite resonable to think that a TT/S with DSG could post same disciplines in times of 5.0s and 13.6s.

What do you think about these then.

The Pretender
December 9th, 2007, 08:50
First, Audi and BMW use different weight scales.
BMW ad luggage, fuel and a person to it's weight calculation, Audi don't.
Further if you ad a DSG/S-Tronic to the TTS, you also put extra weight on.
i don't believe the TTS will weigh 1360 Kg, only 1370 Kg ad best and most likely closer to 1395 Kg IMHO.
The weight differense between a A3 3.2 Quattro and S3 Quattro is 40 Kg in favor of the S3.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
December 9th, 2007, 10:53
First, Audi and BMW use different weight scales.
BMW ad luggage, fuel and a person to it's weight calculation, Audi don't.
Further if you ad a DSG/S-Tronic to the TTS, you also put extra weight on.
i don't believe the TTS will weigh 1360 Kg, only 1370 Kg ad best and most likely closer to 1395 Kg IMHO.
The weight differense between a A3 3.2 Quattro and S3 Quattro is 40 Kg in favor of the S3.

Jarod.

This differing weight thing that both brands use, well what can I say the RS4 is meant to be a full 100Kgs heavier than an M3 and yet with the same amount of power and a less efficient transmission it's only 0.3s slower to 150mph according to more than one review.

Based on the fact that Haldex is more efficient the the original Quattro in the RS4 and even with your adjusted weight difference of the 75Kgs that is believe to be the difference between the two brands, that places the TT/S in manual form at 5.25Kgs and advantage to the 135i of 0.16Kgs. Surprise, surprise, that is the exact figure difference between the RS4's 4.10Kgs and the M3's 3.94Kgs and advantage in favour of the M3 by 0.16Kgs. We all know that the DSG improves acceleration by more than 1 second to 120mph and should improve it by 1.5 seconds to 150mph which I believe will mean the TT/S in standard trim be quicker than the 135i.

Let the battle beginning.:hahahehe:

tvrfan
December 9th, 2007, 14:28
hmmm BMW becomes DSG too in 2008.

Leadfoot
December 9th, 2007, 19:07
hmmm BMW becomes DSG too in 2008.

It is in the M3 though the latest is Mid '08 and the rest of the range to receive the same system sometime in 2009.

But even with all of this you are forgetting that there is talk about a performance pack that will push the power even closer to the 135i.

Oh, yes and then there is the fact that the 135i is seriously difficult to drive quickly because of the brown paper bag that is compulsory to wear as the thing is so butt ugly you wouldn't want to be seen driving one.:lovl:

tvrfan
December 9th, 2007, 20:18
performance pack? for what car?

The Pretender
December 9th, 2007, 20:43
performance pack? for what car?
Audi TTS.

Jarod.

tvrfan
December 9th, 2007, 20:54
HÄH? that means how much hp increased to the 275hp? is a performance pack confirmed?

Mockenrue
December 9th, 2007, 20:59
Am i the only one that thinks the 1 series is the ugliest car ever?

Nope! The http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1.gifcould break mirrors it's that hideous......every time I see one I want to pull my own eyes out....

http://www.sniffpetrol.com/AdBMW1series.jpg
http://www.sniffpetrol.com/wp-content/uploads/spadbmw1coupe.jpg

Leadfoot
December 9th, 2007, 22:41
I know what you mean, not only should the 1 series be supplied with a bag but every other car should come with one too because evrytime I see one I want to throw up and a bag would come in handy.

guessWHO
December 10th, 2007, 06:03
IMO ... there will be the TTS next year, with the S3 engine, but we will very soon see a TTRS with a 2.5 engine (probably TFSI) @ 300+ HP.

XtremeDriving
December 11th, 2007, 12:20
I can say blindly that it will be an RS3 because of the 135i hatchback and an RS1 allready confirmed on the meetings of Mr. Stadler, but the most important thing is that will be an RS6 Plus, an RS7 and EVEN an RS8 because of the S65AMG power and performance that's why, and Audi has already 2 choises for the RS8 like someone said, the engine from new RS6 with a few more horse power and torque and the engine from Bentley GT Speed the 6.0l TT with 600HP, so don't even thing to say that this cars won't show up later. And the other thing is that Quattro G.M.B.H. is growing in the same time like the sales of the Audi range cars and to bring more and more sales and profitability to the brand they will change the plan how the cars are launched and of course they will allways need and will built cars more powerfull and fast than the competition from the BMW and Mercedes, the only thing i am worring is the new supercar from Mercedes because Mercedes are putting big engines in their line-up and a TT or supercharger and could have 700HP on that car, and believe me that Audi allready knows about that and they will develop more than an R8-V10, R8-RS will be more like a lightweight supercar with V10 but with at least 50HP more than the R8-S with standard V10 so we should expect to have at least 550HP normal aspirated if Audi will not resolve the solution of cooling the turbo's, so be patient my friends cause Audi thought allready about all the future S/RS cars from them!

tvrfan
December 11th, 2007, 17:17
i dont think that the R8 will carrie S-badge, because "S" is from Audi and "RS" from quattro GmbH. i doubt there will be a R8-RS. it would be awesome but with such a thing they would kill lambo and porsche in performance. and for a R8-RS would just come a TT in question. but there wont be one, because testmules gone up on fire. and a NA would be stupid.

crespo
December 11th, 2007, 18:34
i dont think that the R8 will carrie S-badge, because "S" is from Audi and "RS" from quattro GmbH. i doubt there will be a R8-RS. it would be awesome but with such a thing they would kill lambo and porsche in performance. and for a R8-RS would just come a TT in question. but there wont be one, because testmules gone up on fire. and a NA would be stupid.This makes little to no sense... no offense

there WILL be a V10 R8. that much is all but confirmed.

tvrfan
December 11th, 2007, 18:51
i know there will be V10 R8. but no R8-RS like in my post said (reasons are in my post above). there will be no lightweight R8-RS.

Leadfoot
December 11th, 2007, 23:24
Sorry, did I miss something.

IS THIS NOT A TT THREAD.

SigmaS6
December 20th, 2007, 14:27
Btw, Audi has officially confirmed the TT-S spec already, it's 198kw, i.e. ~266bhp, not 275. I'm pretty sure they know what it is, at least they are mailing it out to curious customers, so I have no reason to doubt that.

But the reason I stopped by was that the german car mag AMS has a short article in yesterdays issue, which states that the RS will be based on the 2.5l I5 of the US rabbit and will have 340ps to be close to the Z4M / SL 55. The release is expected in roughly 20 months from now on, which once again sounds like an awful long time to me. But on the other hand they will have to do some modifications this time, so if it took them two years to put an unmodified S3 engine in the TT that's probably the fastest release they can do...

Oh, and the DQ500 will be ready for the RS-release as well, so the torque will for the first time not be limited by the DSG but by the engine.

Keeping in mind that this mag usually posts such news rather late but with a track record in accuracy I would be surprised if this spec would not be the final one.

Leadfoot
December 20th, 2007, 15:32
I remembered posting some months ago that the TT Clubsport was the fore-runner to what we can expect of the TT/RS, it's front and rear track is 90mm more than any other TT and the reason was obvious, this track width was required for the inline 5cyl engine.

P.S.

They have been running the test mules with a fair bit more than the 340hp it will eventually get. :hahahehe:

SigmaS6
December 20th, 2007, 15:36
it's front and rear track is 90mm more than any other TT
Where does that info come from? Never heard of it before but sounds like a nice detail :)

The Pretender
December 20th, 2007, 16:15
it's front and rear track is 90mm more than any other TT and the reason was obvious, this track width was required for the inline 5cyl engine.

That is exaggerated it's only 80mm. :hihi:

Jarod.

Leadfoot
December 20th, 2007, 16:26
That is exaggerated it's only 80mm. :hihi:

Jarod.

OK, call me a liar for 10mm.:D

The Pretender
December 20th, 2007, 16:40
OK, call me a liar for 10mm.:D

10mm, if you hang that much of the ground you will die. :)

Jarod.

Leadfoot
December 20th, 2007, 16:45
10mm, if you hang that much of the ground you will die. :)

Jarod.

Fair point but then again British Leyland put car out which were more than 10mm shorter at one side than the other, so making a mistake over the memory of a figure isn't that much of a biggie now is it. :looking:

SigmaS6
December 20th, 2007, 18:48
I see we have Top Gear regulars here :)

Leadfoot
December 20th, 2007, 19:59
I see we have Top Gear regulars here :)

Not really, my uncle did body repair so it was a well known fact that BL cars among others weren't the best.;)

Rage
December 21st, 2007, 01:55
Oh, and the DQ500 will be ready for the RS-release as well, so the torque will for the first time not be limited by the DSG but by the engine.

Eh?

Im not an engineer and I got a B in A-level Physics - whats DQ500 and how does it affect torque?

All I know is I LOVE torque

Thanks

The Pretender
December 21st, 2007, 05:52
Eh?

whats DQ500
DSG Quer 500Nm.

Jarod.

The Pretender
July 2nd, 2008, 17:28
Some new info on the subject., came across it.

Audi wil say there is no V8 TT RS test mule, but when a Photographer say at the time (october 2007) the TT car sounded as a high rev high pitch V8 there must be something going on.

Here is the story (28-6-2008) of that photographer: http://motor-kritik.de/common/08062806.htm (in German)

And there are interesting things in it as, transmission case is
cast-on directly, flat plane crankshaft, high rev 3.2 liter V8, 1.6 FSI based.
If there is any truth in it, Audi will revolutionize engine/gearbox building in production cars, starting with the TT RS.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
July 2nd, 2008, 18:49
So you believe that Audi developed a 8cylinder 3.2L based on the 1.6FSi. Would such an engine fit transversely?

KresoF1
July 2nd, 2008, 19:06
So you believe that Audi developed a 8cylinder 3.2L based on the 1.6FSi. Would such an engine fit transversely?

I did not know that we got SF fans here...:vhmmm:

What is next?

2.8L Double TSI with two turbos and two kompressors with 340hp/480Nm???!!!

Come on...

BTW, I think we will have TT-ST as well..... ST for STAR TREK...:doh:

The Pretender
July 2nd, 2008, 19:20
I don't believe it till someone ;) give me the info about it, and i don't have any info about it yet, only that Audi is testing more engine options for the TT RS with the R5T having the best card's.
Further i'm not sure we talk about a transverse mounting by this engine.
But when the transmission case is directly cast on, and that can also be more integraded in the engine with maybe a different exit place for the drive shafts. :vhmmm:
It can be compact enough to fit longitudinal or transversely with a full up to date DSG Quattro system with rear bias torque split and QTV.
The hole engine/gearbox unit can be made out off titanium and can weigh less then a VR6.
It is also to believe that a unit like that can rev up to 9000 or more with a power output of 400+ hp.
It will be expensive but also be revolutionair in the way you expect from "Vorsprung Durch Technik" like Audi say.

Jarod.

The Pretender
July 2nd, 2008, 19:43
I did not know that we got SF fans here...:vhmmm:

What is next?

2.8L Double TSI with two turbos and two kompressors with 340hp/480Nm???!!!

Come on...

Only when it's a V engine. :hihi:

btw, i only put up the link that was the basis for the TT RS V8 rumour start by Auto express.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
July 2nd, 2008, 21:05
I don't believe it till someone ;) give me the info about it, and i don't have any info about it yet, only that Audi is testing more engine options for the TT RS with the R5T having the best card's.
But when the transmission case is directly cast on, and that can also be more integraded in the engine with maybe a different exit place for the drive shafts. :vhmmm:
It can be compact enough to fit longitudinal or transversely with a full up to date DSG Quattro system with rear bias torque split and QTV.
The hole engine/gearbox unit can be made out off titanium and can weigh less then a VR6.
It is also to believe that a unit like that can rev up to 9000 or more with a power output of 400+ hp.
It will be expensive but also be revolutionair in the way you expect from "Vorsprung Durch Technik" like Audi say.

Jarod.

One thing my source was definite on was NO TORSEN. Unless Audi can offer something that's more conventional with the rest of the TT range then I just don't know what to expect. ;)

The Pretender
July 2nd, 2008, 21:14
I'm saying that some time now.
It will be Haldex (4) XWD with transverse R5T.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
July 2nd, 2008, 21:25
Jarod you have me confused, one minute you are saying

And the next minute you are agreeing with me by saying

I'm saying that some time now.
It will be Haldex (4) XWD with transverse R5T.

Mate, life is hard enough without making this small pleasure of away from the kids time more difficult.

My understanding is that it will use an updated software version of Haldex XWD, that will place most of the power to the rear like normal Quattro but should in theory react that little bit quicker. Haldex XWD has all the ingredients for a great awd system but in the Saab it's ultra safe, Audi need to adopt a more driver's oriented setup with more slip from the rear an less understeer from the nose. I am not sure neutral will cut it anymore.

The Pretender
July 2nd, 2008, 21:43

This quote is about the V8 story, nothing to do with the R5T.

Jarod you have me confused, one minute you are saying

And the next minute you are agreeing with me by saying

Mate, life is hard enough without making this small pleasure of away from the kids time more difficult.

My understanding is that it will use an updated software version of Haldex XWD, that will place most of the power to the rear like normal Quattro but should in theory react that little bit quicker. Haldex XWD has all the ingredients for a great awd system but in the Saab it's ultra safe, Audi need to adopt a more driver's oriented setup with more slip from the rear an less understeer from the nose. I am not sure neutral will cut it anymore.
Haldex XWD is a must because Haldex 3 can't transfer more then 50% to the rear wheels.
The rest is software wise.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
July 2nd, 2008, 21:49
This quote is about the V8 story, nothing to do with the R5T.

Sorry mate, hard day at work and the brain is fried.:rolleyes:

Haldex XWD is a must because Haldex 3 can't transfer more then 50% to the rear wheels.
The rest is software wise.

Jarod.

Though I haven't been told that it's Haldex 4 I know enough to read between the lines. ;) My understanding is this setup allows for anything to be possible.